Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › First gaming build. Advise/Opinions well appreciated
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First gaming build. Advise/Opinions well appreciated - Page 3

post #21 of 32
I'd say that a barracuda 7200.11 hard drive would probably be faster. Also, read up on that motherboard- I sort of remember a lotta people having problems with it (i could be wrong though)

I'm a big fan of my 780i, but it's a couple bucks more. Perhaps go with an antec 900 or coolermaster 690 case and spend the difference on your motherboard?

A tuniq tower 120 or TRUE would be my choice for cpu cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835154002

I have a tuniq brand new in box never installed- pm me if you're interested in saving a coupla bucks.

I sorta wish i'd gone vista for directx 10, actually. Vista64 is actually more compatible with most things than xp64 also- and with that much ram, you really do want a 64-bit OS

good luck!
my baby
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 4.0 EVGA 780i 2x GTS 512 SLi 770/linked/1050 2x 2gb G.Skill PQ DDR2-1000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 250Gb 7200.10 (raid 0) Arch Linux 64 Samsung T240 Saitek eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXStream 700 watt Cooler Master 690 Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
my baby
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 4.0 EVGA 780i 2x GTS 512 SLi 770/linked/1050 2x 2gb G.Skill PQ DDR2-1000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 250Gb 7200.10 (raid 0) Arch Linux 64 Samsung T240 Saitek eclipse 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ GameXStream 700 watt Cooler Master 690 Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 32
A few parts in there are needlessly expensive, and the money could get distributed better.

1 - The case. I know, its a lian li and all, but you may want to check your best buy. They sell rocketfish cases, which are nothing more than a repackaged lian li, for $50. Yeah its not the same model as the one you picked out, but its still the same quality and everything that you'd expect. It even says Lian-Li on the inventory label. And its huge If you have your heart set on this case then get it, this is just a good alternative.

2 - Get a TRUE for your CPU cooler. Definitely.

3 - You WILL want a fan controller for those fans to keep them quiet while you aren't gaming. If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks, you should get a Sunbeam Rheobus - they can handle up to 20W per channel so you can hook up virtually as much as you want to it. They come in black too, only newegg is out of those so I just linked the silver one.

4 - Get two of those hard drives and put them in RAID0. You will appreciate the speed increase, I promise =)

5 - Consider getting a second set of that ram for 8gb. It will be worth it for sure.



Note: A barracuda is NOT faster than that drive, and the 750i FTW that you picked is essentially the same as a 780i minus teamed LAN cards.
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manyak View Post
A few parts in there are needlessly expensive, and the money could get distributed better.

1 - The case. I know, its a lian li and all, but you may want to check your best buy. They sell rocketfish cases, which are nothing more than a repackaged lian li, for $50. Yeah its not the same model as the one you picked out, but its still the same quality and everything that you'd expect. It even says Lian-Li on the inventory label. And its huge If you have your heart set on this case then get it, this is just a good alternative.
Agree 100% here

Quote:
2 - Get a TRUE for your CPU cooler. Definitely.
Nah the true is at best a couple °C cooler running the the Xigmatek S1283, I never break beyond 50°C(25°-27°Cambients) when running P95.

Quote:
3 - You WILL want a fan controller for those fans to keep them quiet while you aren't gaming. If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks, you should get a Sunbeam Rheobus - they can handle up to 20W per channel so you can hook up virtually as much as you want to it. They come in black too, only newegg is out of those so I just linked the silver one.
If noise is an issue a Rheobus is definitely a good idea, but I like the Sunbeam rheobus extreme better 30W per channel with 6 channels

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=23039

Quote:
4 - Get two of those hard drives and put them in RAID0. You will appreciate the speed increase, I promise =)
Agreed

Quote:
5 - Consider getting a second set of that ram for 8gb. It will be worth it for sure.
8GBs is overkill for 99% of applications; But as cheap as the 4GB kits are it really is up to the OP I guess.

The rest of the OPs choices seem spot on, must've done his/her research for this build.
Calculon Ω
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz 1.37V DFI LT X48-T2R vNB 1.24 EVGA 460GTX 4x2GB Patriot 1000mhz CL5 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x x-25m Vista x64 24" BenQ G2400WD Corsair VX550W 
Case
CM Cosmos 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
Calculon Ω
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz 1.37V DFI LT X48-T2R vNB 1.24 EVGA 460GTX 4x2GB Patriot 1000mhz CL5 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x x-25m Vista x64 24" BenQ G2400WD Corsair VX550W 
Case
CM Cosmos 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 32
the evga 750i is not a bad board. some reviews show it to be more stable while OC'd than the 780i. and it is 16x 16x SLI so, if tri-sli is not required, theres no reason to buy the 780i for $60 more. i think you should get a 9600gt/8800gt for now(for around $100-$150) and get yourself a 9900 card for $500 when they come out this june. that way you'll get great performance (if rumours are to be believed) and theres gonna be option to go SLI with those cards. my $.02
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 2.26GHz Intel GM45 Chipset GeForce GT240M GT 1GB 2x2GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 500GB Windows Vista SP1 15.6" LED Backlit Display 6-Cell Li-Ion 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 2.26GHz Intel GM45 Chipset GeForce GT240M GT 1GB 2x2GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 500GB Windows Vista SP1 15.6" LED Backlit Display 6-Cell Li-Ion 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 32
I just ordered a similar rig

Regarding the 750i, I think it's a great board with plenty of documented successful overclocks. It should be rock solid. I chose to go with only one EVGA 8800gt for the short term with the new line of cards coming out. Call it a hedge against wanting to take advantage of the step up program to a new card or picking up a second GT, and going SLI with some overclock.

Great HD, I went with only one to start. Easy enough to go RAID later if I think I need it

As much as I hate windows (I'm a linux geek) I think Vista 64-bit is the way to go. It's stable now, you can utilize more than 3.whatever gigs of RAM, and there is directx10. Home premium 64-bit is only $99.

Two good monitor choices, I'm waffling about what monitor to get myself. Probably a Samsung 245bw from Costco. Whatever I choose, I'm buying local. Much easier to return if there's a problem.

The rest looks great. Good luck with your build. Keep us posted on your choices.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 EVGA 750i FTW EVGA 8800GT Mushkin 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 640g Samsung Tuniq Tower Vista/Arch Linux 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung 245bw Antech 850W P180 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 EVGA 750i FTW EVGA 8800GT Mushkin 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 640g Samsung Tuniq Tower Vista/Arch Linux 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung 245bw Antech 850W P180 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manyak View Post
A few parts in there are needlessly expensive, and the money could get distributed better.

1 - The case. I know, its a lian li and all, but you may want to check your best buy. They sell rocketfish cases, which are nothing more than a repackaged lian li, for $50. Yeah its not the same model as the one you picked out, but its still the same quality and everything that you'd expect. It even says Lian-Li on the inventory label. And its huge If you have your heart set on this case then get it, this is just a good alternative.
The times i've been to the store i never saw anything, but then again i never asked specifically. I really like the case i picked out but damn i really wish they weren't so expensive. lol. I have looked through many cases and was really set on the one i chose, didn't wanted to buy something cheap and regret it .

Quote:
3 - You WILL want a fan controller for those fans to keep them quiet while you aren't gaming. If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks, you should get a Sunbeam Rheobus - they can handle up to 20W per channel so you can hook up virtually as much as you want to it. They come in black too, only newegg is out of those so I just linked the silver one.
I had picked out the scythe kaze master for the lcd display. its also kinda expensive unfortionally, but i figured it would complement nicely with the black lian li case.

Quote:
4 - Get two of those hard drives and put them in RAID0. You will appreciate the speed increase, I promise =)
I had at once contemplated setting a RAID0 setup, but decided against for risk of disk failure . but thats not to say i wont/cant change my mind. I just feel like if i'm putting this much investment into something i want it to be reliable for awhile before i decide to put more risks into it.
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickychambersm View Post
I had picked out the scythe kaze master for the lcd display. its also kinda expensive unfortionally, but i figured it would complement nicely with the black lian li case.
The sunbeam rheobus does actually compliment it well (if you get the black one). That scythe controller only accepts 1A per channel...which isn't even enough for some fans out there. With the sunbeam one you can put up to 20W per channel (or 30W for the rheobus extreme), which means you can connect TONS of fans, any way you want to (like multiple fans per channel, etc).


Quote:
Originally Posted by rickychambersm View Post
I had at once contemplated setting a RAID0 setup, but decided against for risk of disk failure . but thats not to say i wont/cant change my mind. I just feel like if i'm putting this much investment into something i want it to be reliable for awhile before i decide to put more risks into it.
I don't know exactly how to explain this to you, but there is no reason to be worried about reliability of a 2 drive RAID0 setup than there is for one single hard drive. When you get to 10+ drives yes, but not with only 2. The only reason ANYONE stresses on the reliability factor is because they expect some corporation to be looking for a storage solution, and those often consist of huge numbers of drives.

You should always be careful with your hard drives for the first month or so ANYWAY, because there is a good chance for premature failure due to some factory defect.
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manyak View Post
The sunbeam rheobus does actually compliment it well (if you get the black one). That scythe controller only accepts 1A per channel...which isn't even enough for some fans out there. With the sunbeam one you can put up to 20W per channel (or 30W for the rheobus extreme), which means you can connect TONS of fans, any way you want to (like multiple fans per channel, etc).
I didn't think fans took anywhere near an amp? correct me if i'm wrong. but even the specs for the scythe ultra kaze at 3,000rpm is still at 0.60A .
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickychambersm View Post
I didn't think fans took anywhere near an amp? correct me if i'm wrong. but even the specs for the scythe ultra kaze at 3,000rpm is still at 0.60A .
Some fans do draw over 1a. Deltas certainly do. What are you doing about an OS?
post #30 of 32
Looks good. Get the OCZ Vendetta 2 or Tuniq tower.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › First gaming build. Advise/Opinions well appreciated