Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › P35 & X38 + Crucial Ballistix/Ballistix Tracer = Not compatible
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

P35 & X38 + Crucial Ballistix/Ballistix Tracer = Not compatible

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hey guys,

I've had my rig for just under a year. I've been receiving BSOD errors since it's been assembled. I've RMA'd once, and it solved the problem for about a month, then the problem came back.

I just receive the second set last week, and still getting the BSOD. Contacted Crucial, and they now tell me that it's been a recognized issue that the Ballistix & Ballistix tracers have computability issues with the P35 & X38 chip sets.

They offered to give me credit for the market price of the RAM or they could give me basically value select RAM from crucial at the same speed.

I said absolutely not to both. IDK what to do at this point... I may try to contact them again and see if they can give me a cash refund. I am extremely upset about this.

1. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
2. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for good and stable ram for me to use (that performs well)?
I am considering purchasing 4GB of another brand ram. NOTE: I have 32bit Vista!

Edited by PeaceMaker - 5/27/08 at 8:53am
Paradise
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.7ghz Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H XFX 5770 Crossfire 4x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
64GB MC SSD, 2x320 7200.10, 2x2TB Green Caviar Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung 205BW & 32" Panasonic LCD G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 (FTW) CoolerMaster HAF 932 MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Paradise
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.7ghz Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H XFX 5770 Crossfire 4x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
64GB MC SSD, 2x320 7200.10, 2x2TB Green Caviar Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung 205BW & 32" Panasonic LCD G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 (FTW) CoolerMaster HAF 932 MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 12
I had the same problem. I ebayed mine and bought G.Skil. No problems at all with G.SKILL.

Make sure you get what you bought the Ballistix for. Dont accept them at current prices, ballistix current market price is very low.
post #3 of 12
BTW, Ballistix name is so sucky right now that I only sold mine for just under half what I payed for them. They were brand new RMA replacements.
post #4 of 12
So they are saying that they have problems with compatibility with mobo's which no other company has problems with despite using the same chips?

Makes sense... basically what they are doing is covering up the fact that they don't actually bother to make quality ram any more.

Either try to get some decent quality older ones or just get some decent ram like some G.Skill PK's
Wingman Fuzzi
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.6GHz 1.37v Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 Zotac GTX 680 @ 1215/3005MHz (347.09) 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1866Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB + 850 1TB + Intel 520 240GB Samsung F3 1TB Thermalright Venomous X w/ FM122 Windows 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2312HM 1920x1080 @ 60Hz Ducky Shine II (Blues w/ White Backlight) Corsair HX 620W Fractal Design XL (Black Pearl) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
MX518 Steelseries QcK+ Creative X-FI Xtreme Music Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
Wingman Fuzzi
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.6GHz 1.37v Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 Zotac GTX 680 @ 1215/3005MHz (347.09) 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1866Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 120GB + 850 1TB + Intel 520 240GB Samsung F3 1TB Thermalright Venomous X w/ FM122 Windows 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2312HM 1920x1080 @ 60Hz Ducky Shine II (Blues w/ White Backlight) Corsair HX 620W Fractal Design XL (Black Pearl) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
MX518 Steelseries QcK+ Creative X-FI Xtreme Music Sennheiser HD598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 12
I have the Asus P5E , running here for a while 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix 1066 Mhz , no problems
Syzzel Triple
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 3.7 Ghz Asus P5Q Deluxe Gainward Nvidia GTX 295 2x4GB Mushkin Frost Redline 1000 Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320GB+1x1TB+1x640GB+1x500GB LG DVD RW Windows Vista Ultimate x64 3xSamsung Syncmaster 226 BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W Cooler Master Cosmos Razer Copperhead Red 
Mouse Pad
Qpad Big 
  hide details  
Reply
Syzzel Triple
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 3.7 Ghz Asus P5Q Deluxe Gainward Nvidia GTX 295 2x4GB Mushkin Frost Redline 1000 Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320GB+1x1TB+1x640GB+1x500GB LG DVD RW Windows Vista Ultimate x64 3xSamsung Syncmaster 226 BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W Cooler Master Cosmos Razer Copperhead Red 
Mouse Pad
Qpad Big 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion Racing View Post
So they are saying that they have problems with compatibility with mobo's which no other company has problems with despite using the same chips?

Makes sense... basically what they are doing is covering up the fact that they don't actually bother to make quality ram any more.

Either try to get some decent quality older ones or just get some decent ram like some G.Skill PK's
So G.Skill PK's? Should I get 4GB even though I have 32bit Vista?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSysX View Post
I have the Asus P5E , running here for a while 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix 1066 Mhz , no problems
P5E P35/X38? eh, doesn't really matter. You're a lucky one I suppose.
Edited by PeaceMaker - 5/27/08 at 9:46am
Paradise
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.7ghz Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H XFX 5770 Crossfire 4x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
64GB MC SSD, 2x320 7200.10, 2x2TB Green Caviar Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung 205BW & 32" Panasonic LCD G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 (FTW) CoolerMaster HAF 932 MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Paradise
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.7ghz Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H XFX 5770 Crossfire 4x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
64GB MC SSD, 2x320 7200.10, 2x2TB Green Caviar Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung 205BW & 32" Panasonic LCD G15 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX620 (FTW) CoolerMaster HAF 932 MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 12
P35 chipset here, and have run double sided tracers at 1200mhz and single sided at 1092mhz. No problems at all
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k ASUS P8Z77I Deluxe EVGA GTX 980 FTW 8GB Team Xtreem 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO All water... Win7 Ultimate Korean 27" 1440p 
PowerCaseAudio
Silverstone SX600-G Ncase M1 ALC898 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k ASUS P8Z77I Deluxe EVGA GTX 980 FTW 8GB Team Xtreem 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO All water... Win7 Ultimate Korean 27" 1440p 
PowerCaseAudio
Silverstone SX600-G Ncase M1 ALC898 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 12
I had some 1066 tracers on my P35. Just make sure you manually set the voltages and freq, that might be your problem.

~Gooda~
Water Cooled Quad
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Engineering Sample MSI P5N Diamond XFX Radeon 4850 4x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640GB Boot - 2x 640GB Backup/Storage Lite-On DVD-R Windows 7 Professional x64 Samsung 245BW (24") 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Ultra X3 850W RocketFish (Lian-Li) by Cyberdruid Microsoft Wireless 6000 
  hide details  
Reply
Water Cooled Quad
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Engineering Sample MSI P5N Diamond XFX Radeon 4850 4x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640GB Boot - 2x 640GB Backup/Storage Lite-On DVD-R Windows 7 Professional x64 Samsung 245BW (24") 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 Ultra X3 850W RocketFish (Lian-Li) by Cyberdruid Microsoft Wireless 6000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceMaker View Post
Hey guys,

I've had my rig for just under a year. I've been receiving BSOD errors since it's been assembled. I've RMA'd once, and it solved the problem for about a month, then the problem came back.

I just receive the second set last week, and still getting the BSOD. Contacted Crucial, and they now tell me that it's been a recognized issue that the Ballistix & Ballistix tracers have computability issues with the P35 & X38 chip sets.

They offered to give me credit for the market price of the RAM or they could give me basically value select RAM from crucial at the same speed.

I said absolutely not to both. IDK what to do at this point... I may try to contact them again and see if they can give me a cash refund. I am extremely upset about this.

1. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
2. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for good and stable ram for me to use (that performs well)?
I am considering purchasing 4GB of another brand ram. NOTE: I have 32bit Vista!
When I was sick and tired of buy 800, 1000 or 1065 ram and try to OC them to get highest possible MHz or lowest possible timing I bought Kingston HyperX PC9600 2x1Gb (1200@5-5-5-15 2,30v) , I most say it´s the best ram I ever have bought, they are so flexible, I can run them at 800 3-3-3-9, 1000 4-4-4-12 or 1200 5-5-5-15, but most of the time I run them 1200 5-5-5-15 with FSB 400, 450 or 500, and I got some awesome bandwidth with them.
I have run them on ASUS P5K Premium, ASUS Blitz Formula SE, ASUS Striker Extreme, Gigabyte GA-680i-DQ6 and ASUS Rampage Formula and they have been rock solid stable on every board at 1200 5-5-5-15 2,30v.
I can strongly recommend these.

Now I testing some Kingston HyperX PC8500 4x1Gb (1066@5-5-5-15 2,20v) on my ASUS Rampage Formula, and so far I have tested the following, run FSB 400 9 3,6 1066 5-5-5-15 with as low volt as possible on NB and ram and this is what I got, NB 1,41 and ram 1,90, pretty good I most say.
On to the next one, FSB 450 8 3,6 1128 4-5-5-15 NB 1,41 and ram 2,12, not bad either.
And FSB 480 8 3,84 1153 5-5-5-15 NB 1,51 and ram 2,20, finally I also tried 1200 5-5-5-15 but I have to beyond 2,30 and I think that is to much for this Elpida IC. Not bad for a 4x1Gb kit, so I recommed these also.


Have read that OCZ Reaper HPC 8500 2x2Gb is not bad either, here can you read about them.

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/revie...GB/index.shtml

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...aper_hpc_1066/

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1250&pageID=4603


I run XP 32bit and yes I know I can´t use all 4Gb and probably XP don´t even use the 3,25 - 3,50 that is available, but you run Vista 32 so you be better of with 4Gb then 2Gb even thou you can´t use more then 3,25 - 3,50.
Edited by Ghostleader - 5/28/08 at 11:51am
The Blue Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K cooled by Heatkiller Rev 3.0 LT ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe EVGA GTX 580 SC in SLI cooled by Koolance VID-N... 2x4GB G Skill RipjawsX 1600C8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel SSD 510 120GB / 250GB + WD Black Caviar 1TB Samsung DVD Win 7 64-bit Samsung 2443BW @ 1920x1200 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Lian Li PC-343B 
  hide details  
Reply
The Blue Beast
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-2600K cooled by Heatkiller Rev 3.0 LT ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe EVGA GTX 580 SC in SLI cooled by Koolance VID-N... 2x4GB G Skill RipjawsX 1600C8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel SSD 510 120GB / 250GB + WD Black Caviar 1TB Samsung DVD Win 7 64-bit Samsung 2443BW @ 1920x1200 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Lian Li PC-343B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostleader View Post
When I was sick and tired of buy 800, 1000 or 1065 ram and try to OC them to get highest possible MHz or lowest possible timing I bought Kingston HyperX PC9600 2x1Gb (1200@5-5-5-15 2,30v) , I most say it´s the best ram I ever have bought, they are so flexible, I can run them at 800 3-3-3-9, 1000 4-4-4-12 or 1200 5-5-5-15, but most of the time I run them 1200 5-5-5-15 with FSB 400, 450 or 500, and I got some awesome bandwidth with them.
I have run them on ASUS P5K Premium, ASUS Blitz Formula SE, ASUS Striker Extreme, Gigabyte GA-680i-DQ6 and ASUS Rampage Formula and they have been rock solid stable on every board at 1200 5-5-5-15 2,30v.
I can strongly recommend these.

Now I testing some Kingston HyperX PC8500 4x1Gb (1066@5-5-5-15 2,20v) on my ASUS Rampage Formula, and so far I have tested the following, run FSB 400 9 3,6 1066 5-5-5-15 with as low volt as possible on NB and ram and this is what I got, NB 1,31 and ram 1,86, pretty good I most say.
On to the next one, FSB 450 8 3,6 1128 4-5-5-15 NB 1,31 and ram 2,12, not bad either.
And FSB 480 8 3,84 1153 5-5-5-15 NB 1,51 and ram 2,20, finally I also tried 1200 5-5-5-15 but I have to beyond 2,30 and I think that is to much for this Elpida IC. Not bad for a 4x1Gb kit, so I recommed these also.
I've got the same 4x1 Gb Kingston kit and can vouch for their quality- really good stuff. They clock pretty well and don't cause any additional hassle being 4 sticks as opposed to 2. I'd say they perform comperable to any set of Micron D9G(xx) IC kits I've ran.
SLACR Formula
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 SLACR L727A903 1.2875VID (450*8)@1.40V Maximus Rampage X38 Visiontek HD4870(512) 825/1100 4x1G Elpida E5108AJBG 8E 1128MHz 4-5-5-15 PL6 2.1V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
6X 500Gb 7200.12: 4X & 2X RAID 0 arrays Memorex 52X/Pioneer 16x CD/DVDRW Host:Vista Ultimate X64 SP1 Guest:Ubuntu Linux 2x Samsung 941BW 4ms LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Ergonomic 4000 Thermaltake Toughpower 700W Silverstone TEMJIN06 B/W MS 3button optical 
Mouse Pad
none baby......they suck 
  hide details  
Reply
SLACR Formula
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 SLACR L727A903 1.2875VID (450*8)@1.40V Maximus Rampage X38 Visiontek HD4870(512) 825/1100 4x1G Elpida E5108AJBG 8E 1128MHz 4-5-5-15 PL6 2.1V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
6X 500Gb 7200.12: 4X & 2X RAID 0 arrays Memorex 52X/Pioneer 16x CD/DVDRW Host:Vista Ultimate X64 SP1 Guest:Ubuntu Linux 2x Samsung 941BW 4ms LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Ergonomic 4000 Thermaltake Toughpower 700W Silverstone TEMJIN06 B/W MS 3button optical 
Mouse Pad
none baby......they suck 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › P35 & X38 + Crucial Ballistix/Ballistix Tracer = Not compatible