Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Anything else I should get?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anything else I should get? - Page 2

post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrac View Post
Given the nature of the AD700, you don't think a DAC with an integrated amp would be a better move? I know I saw little difference between my headfive out and my 0404's headphone out with the AD700s.
No need for a DAC.. he has the sound card..

As soloz said a AMP is a better option.

I personally dislike the AD700s

The only reason you would get a DAC is if you have a laptop or a crap sound card.

Personally Marin you should of gone with the prelude over that card
Edited by Benny99 - 5/28/08 at 11:29am
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny99 View Post
No need for a DAC.. he has the sound card..

As soloz said a AMP is a better option.

I personally dislike the AD700s

The only reason you would get a DAC is if you have a laptop or a crap sound card.

Personally Marin you should of gone with the prelude over that card
No, you would get a DAC for better sound. I had an X-fi before my 0404, and the 0404 sounds better, hands down.
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrac View Post
No, you would get a DAC for better sound. I had an X-fi before my 0404, and the 0404 sounds better, hands down.
Well obviously ... ure comparing two products that are not equal in value..

Go Compare the Prelude with the 0404 USB. Its more in the same price range.

A X-FI Extreme gamer is like 80-90 bucks whilst the EMU 0404 is 200.

Compare apples with apples.

And the Statement you want a DAC For better sound is a load of garbage.
Edited by Benny99 - 5/28/08 at 11:46am
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny99 View Post
Well obviously ... ure comparing two products that are not equal in value..

Go Compare the Prelude with the 0404 USB.

A X-FI Extreme gamer is like 80-90 bucks whilst the EMU 0404 is 200.

Compare apples with apples.

And the Statement you want a DAC For better sound is a load of garbage.
I paid $150 for my X-Fi and I paid $150 for my 0404. They ARE comparably priced.

Ask around. I'm not the only one that feels this way. External DACs are just better sounding than comparably priced internal soundcards. If nothing else, simply because it avoids the electrical interference that runs rampant inside a PC.


Know what you're talking about before calling something garbage.
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrac View Post
I paid $150 for my X-Fi and I paid $150 for my 0404. They ARE comparably priced.

Ask around. I'm not the only one that feels this way. External DACs are just better sounding than comparably priced internal soundcards. If nothing else, simply because it avoids the electrical interference that runs rampant inside a PC.


Know what you're talking about before calling something garbage.
Really i would like to see a comparison between the Prelude and the 0404 USB.

Would be interesting.
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny99 View Post
Really i would like to see a comparison between the Prelude and the 0404 USB.

Would be interesting.
If I had the funds, I'd happily do a review.


Closest I know of is S1rrah, who has an X-Fi Elite Pro and had an 0404, and greatly preferred the 0404. I agree that it would be interesting, they're designed for different purposes. I have a hunch the Prelude would win in gaming, the 0404 in music.
post #17 of 29
Outboard DACs are almost always going to be better in terms of SQ than sound cards. Especially in terms of noise floor. Not to mention the headphone amp in even the DAC/amp combos will be better for driving headphones than something like the stereo out from an Prelude.

Source will get you the most improvement in SQ after headphones, that's why the usual upgrade path is: headphones > source > amp > cables.

I would suggest for Marin to get an optical DAC/amp combo like the Zero, BeresfordTC-7510, or Zhaolu. This way you can leave the analogue connections free in case you want to connect speakers to them, and switching between speakers and headphones is a matter of turning off the DAC.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Bloodrage GTX 285 3x2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB X25-M + 2x1TB Spinpoint DVD-RAM/DL + DVD-Multi Windows 7 x64 Dell 2007WFP + Westinghouse TX-42F430S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Tarantula Corsair HX620 Antec P182 Razer Mamba, VX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny99 View Post
No need for a DAC.. he has the sound card..

As soloz said a AMP is a better option.

I personally dislike the AD700s

The only reason you would get a DAC is if you have a laptop or a crap sound card.

Personally Marin you should of gone with the prelude over that card
The Barracuda was $55 on Woot. So that's why I have one
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerc View Post
Outboard DACs are almost always going to be better in terms of SQ than sound cards. Especially in terms of noise floor. Not to mention the headphone amp in even the DAC/amp combos will be better for driving headphones than something like the stereo out from an Prelude.

Source will get you the most improvement in SQ after headphones, that's why the usual upgrade path is: headphones > source > amp > cables.

I would suggest for Marin to get an optical DAC/amp combo like the Zero, BeresfordTC-7510, or Zhaolu. This way you can leave the analogue connections free in case you want to connect speakers to them, and switching between speakers and headphones is a matter of turning off the DAC.
Can you post some links?
Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Happy Hacking Keyboard 2  EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Corsair 600Q 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Steelseries QcK Mass M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.7 HT Gigabyte X58A-UD3R VisionTek 4870x2 3x4GB's G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB AAKS, 2x 640GB AAKS, 2x 1TB Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Silverstone OP850 Antec 1200 [Three Nanoxia FX12] [Two San Ace 1011] Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3615QM GT 650M 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD 
OS
OS X Mountain Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Happy Hacking Keyboard 2  EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Corsair 600Q 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Steelseries QcK Mass M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.7 HT Gigabyte X58A-UD3R VisionTek 4870x2 3x4GB's G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB AAKS, 2x 640GB AAKS, 2x 1TB Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Silverstone OP850 Antec 1200 [Three Nanoxia FX12] [Two San Ace 1011] Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3615QM GT 650M 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD 
OS
OS X Mountain Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 29
I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather listen to my sound through the analogue outputs then the digital ones. It might depend on which equipment you are using, and ofcourse it greatly depends on which you personnaly find sounding better. There is ofcourse no such thing as the absolute best, since opinions differ per person.

I'm using Burr Brown opamps as much as possible, and try to use the wiring I like best as much as possible. In the end I can spot hardly no difference between a well build analogue setup (like my Rotel setup) in comparison with the same setup with the Bel Canto DAC2, except that the analogue setup has a somewhat smoother sound and is a bit warmer.

Although ofcourse the soundcard you are using is very much of influence on this. A good DAC will sound better then the analogue outputs of the x-fi for example.
Edited by Kluit - 5/28/08 at 4:57pm
PC numero uno
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 2.7GHz ASUS P5Q Pro XFX GTX260-640M 4GB Kingston DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
500GB Seagate NEC ND3550 Windows Vista Business x64 Logitech 
PowerMouse
CoolerMaster RealPower 550W Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
PC numero uno
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 2.7GHz ASUS P5Q Pro XFX GTX260-640M 4GB Kingston DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
500GB Seagate NEC ND3550 Windows Vista Business x64 Logitech 
PowerMouse
CoolerMaster RealPower 550W Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 29
Massive ZERO discussion thread. Check eBay for purchasing.

Beresford '7510.

That takes care of 2 of them anyhow. Searching through Head-Fi will normally yield the most relevant results.
In The Works
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D e6600 (3.3ghz) Asus P5Q (P45) eVGA 8800GTS 320mb (670/1000) 2x1GB G.Skill HK (900mhz @ 5-5-5-15) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB (OS) / WD AAKS 500GB + WD JS 250GB Sony DVD-RW Vista Ultimate 32bit Dell E207WFP (1680 x 1050) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Basic Dell ;> Corsair HX520w Modular Modded CM Centurion 590 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
XPS pad 
  hide details  
Reply
In The Works
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D e6600 (3.3ghz) Asus P5Q (P45) eVGA 8800GTS 320mb (670/1000) 2x1GB G.Skill HK (900mhz @ 5-5-5-15) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black 640GB (OS) / WD AAKS 500GB + WD JS 250GB Sony DVD-RW Vista Ultimate 32bit Dell E207WFP (1680 x 1050) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Basic Dell ;> Corsair HX520w Modular Modded CM Centurion 590 Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
XPS pad 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Anything else I should get?