Overclock.net banner

Finished build but nothing...

1K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  clbkdaz 
#1 ·
I got everything in my case this morning and I plugged in the power cord and hit the power button and nothing happens. Any ideas? The SB_PWR light on my motherboard is on.

#2 ·
There are connectors to the motherboard that go to the power switch, it sounds like they are not attached correctly, to make sure that this is the problem you can bridge the 2 pins on the mobo with a flat head screw driver.

#6 ·
Ok the computer turned on and the fans started running and then it gave a short beep, which according to my mobo manual means that VGA is detected, Quick boot set to disabled and no keyboard detected. But my keyboard is plugged in and the lights on it came on. Same thing for my mouse but the screen is blank. What do i do?

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaDog11790
View Post

Ok the computer turned on and the fans started running and then it gave a short beep, which according to my mobo manual means that VGA is detected, Quick boot set to disabled and no keyboard detected. But my keyboard is plugged in and the lights on it came on. Same thing for my mouse but the screen is blank. What do i do?

USB or ps2 keyboard?

#9 ·
Quote:

View Post

Are they USB keyboard/mouse or are they PS/2?

Edit: NVM,fast posters!

#11 ·
Quote:

View Post

ps2

do lights come on the keyboard when its plugged in, and make sure its plugged into the correct ps2 port, I've done that before, also there might be some bios option you have to change, but they usually pick up ps2 automatically.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman
View Post

do lights come on the keyboard when its plugged in, and make sure its plugged into the correct ps2 port, I've done that before, also there might be some bios option you have to change, but they usually pick up ps2 automatically.

Agreed, check the correct plug. And enable Legacy USB in the BIOS, IIRC.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman
View Post

There is only one ps2 port on my mobo. The numlock light turned on my when I hit the power button on the chassis. (it's a gateway keyboard) but when I plugged my mouse in the lights came on (it's a razer diamondback).

#15 ·
Quote:

View Post

There is only one ps2 port on my mobo. The numlock light turned on my when I hit the power button on the chassis. (it's a gateway keyboard) but when I plugged my mouse in the lights came on (it's a razer diamondback).

Might be a gateway thing, if you can get into the bios with a keystroke (usually DEL key) then its obviously working, go into the bios, save it and if the message comes up again you can usually skip it and go on, there is always an option you can enable in the bios whether or not to warn you about certain messages, or just ignore them and proceed to boot the OS.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaDog11790 View Post
I didnt have the monitor plugged in

Hey it's ok man, don't feel bad. I've forgotten to plug some things in during a haste to get a new rig up and going!

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by repo_man View Post

Hey it's ok man, don't feel bad. I've forgotten to plug some things in during a haste to get a new rig up and going!
I remember once I spent like 3 hours trying to figure out why my HDD wasn't detected. In the end I forgot to plug in the molex power plug
. I felt like such an eejit. Glad you got it fixed

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeejunky View Post
I remember once I spent like 3 hours trying to figure out why my HDD wasn't detected. In the end I forgot to plug in the molex power plug
glad you mentioned that. I'm in the BIOS screen now and none of the SATA drives are detected. The hdd is plugged into the mobo using the red sata cable. There's this thick, flat black hdd cord but it doesnt seem to fit on my hdd.

#23 ·
Quote:

LOL, I've done that as well. Although I didn't troubleshoot it for 3 hours

#24 ·
Quote:

glad you mentioned that. I'm in the BIOS screen now and none of the SATA drives are detected. The hdd is plugged into the mobo using the red sata cable. There's this thick, flat black hdd cord but it doesnt seem to fit on my hdd.
What type of power connector is it. SATA power (black and thin) or Molex. If its sata power try it both ways up (its keyed and will only fit in one way)

Quote:
LOL, I've done that as well. Although I didn't troubleshoot it for 3 hours
I'm not exaggerating there either - only noticed it when I was taking it out to replace it with a backup drive.

#25 ·
Quote:

Do you have the power plug plugged into the HDD? The red on is the data cable, but there's also a power plug that goes beside that on the back of the HDD.

It should look like this (and have a molex connector on the other end. )

#26 ·
Quote:

What type of power connector is it. SATA power (black and thin) or Molex. If its sata power try it both ways up (its keyed and will only fit in one way)

I'm not exaggerating their either - only noticed it when I was taking it out to replace it with a backup drive.
I think molex. I just plugged it in and loaded into bios and it is still not identified. It's the power cable that has a "L" shape on the end, it's not the wiide black one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.