Originally Posted by redsunx
What would happen? Pop? Oh and, I've seen stuff of like an Antec PSU giving out 650w (when the specs say 550w) below 50c or something, how would one find out those numbers?
Like everyone has said, a properly built psu should shut off when you overload it. OPP (over power protection) should kick in and shut it down before any damage happens. With a cheap psu (or any psu with a malfunction) without the proper safety measures, many things can happen. If the PSU doesn't have properly set OPP (or none at all), it can draw more current from the wall than it can handle. This usually leads to an extravagant show including pops, fireballs, sparks (the fun stuffs) then something on the primary dies. When this happens usually there is no damage to any of the components the psu is hooked up to (but you never know). If the primary side can handle the extra loads, but the secondary can't, the psu will die silently and has a chance of taking components with it by power or voltage surges. There are other protections like OTP (temperature) that should shut the psu down at a certain temp so components inside the PSU don't fail from heat alone and OCP/OVP (current/voltage) set up on the individual power outputs (rails) to shut the psu down before there is a chance to damage a component.
Disclaimer: I've got a headache so I wouldn't be surprised if I mixed something up.Edited by shinji2k - 5/29/08 at 7:04am