Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Coding and Programming › Application Programming › Software/Program for Computer Enthusiasts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Software/Program for Computer Enthusiasts - Page 2

post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian_Engineer View Post
alright Licht, what's the best proggie for .NET development? I am making a 20G partition on my laptop for a minimal install of XP as we speak.

or should i do c++ as suggested by grimo? It would be faster and harder...hmm so it interests me
also i would learn how to interact with Windows API thru C instead of the ez mode (.NET)

but i might do more than one proggie, if i do then i'll do this in .NET
.Net includes a few languages. C++, C, C#, and Visual Basic. I use C# but C++.Net is very popular. .Net isn't a language, its a framework to increase the speed and quality of applications for Windows.
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht View Post
.Net includes a few languages. C++, C, C#, and Visual Basic. I use C# but C++.Net is very popular. .Net isn't a language, its a framework to increase the speed and quality of applications for Windows.
yeah i know what .NET is. thanks for being condescending (j/k)

but seriously i meant what GUI to use in coding it. express versions suffice or should I actually buy stuff? I'm a linux guy, i dont like hate paying for software

OH and also why not C++.Net? its not just you, most of my friends who are .NET experts use C#
Edited by Indian_Engineer - 5/29/08 at 8:01pm
p
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon X2 5000+ BE @ 3.0GHz BIOSTAR TForce TF570SLI 2 X PNY 9800GX2 1GB 512-bit 8GB OCZ Gold DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
36GB Raptor X 4 in RAID10 20x DVD+RW Slackware 12.1 Dual Samsung 24" WS LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M PC P&C 610 Silencer (12V@49A) Ultra Aluminus Full Tower Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Ratpadz GS 
  hide details  
Reply
p
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon X2 5000+ BE @ 3.0GHz BIOSTAR TForce TF570SLI 2 X PNY 9800GX2 1GB 512-bit 8GB OCZ Gold DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
36GB Raptor X 4 in RAID10 20x DVD+RW Slackware 12.1 Dual Samsung 24" WS LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M PC P&C 610 Silencer (12V@49A) Ultra Aluminus Full Tower Logitech G5 
Mouse Pad
Ratpadz GS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian_Engineer View Post
yeah i know what .NET is. thanks for being condescending (j/k)

but seriously i meant what GUI to use in coding it. express versions suffice or should I actually buy stuff? I'm a linux guy, i dont like hate paying for software

OH and also why not C++.Net? its not just you, most of my friends who are .NET experts use C#
Visual Studio Express 2008 is more then adequate. Just wish it could compile to 64bit (only commercial versions of Visual Studio can do that.)
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian_Engineer View Post
yeah i know what .NET is. thanks for being condescending (j/k)

but seriously i meant what GUI to use in coding it. express versions suffice or should I actually buy stuff? I'm a linux guy, i dont like hate paying for software

OH and also why not C++.Net? its not just you, most of my friends who are .NET experts use C#

Use Visual Studio Express or you can download the 90-day trial of the Pro version. C++ .NET / managed C++ is just fugly and for pretty much anything that isn't embedded / time-critical code you might as well use C# ...well, assuming you have the .NET Framework installed on your target platform. There are few things that you can do in C++ that you can't do more neatly (or at least more prettily) in C# these days (although using managed C++ does allow you to call unmanaged classes from managed C++ code without having to resort to COM interop).
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwolf View Post
Use Visual Studio Express or you can download the 90-day trial of the Pro version. C++ .NET / managed C++ is just fugly and for pretty much anything that isn't embedded / time-critical code you might as well use C# ...well, assuming you have the .NET Framework installed on your target platform. There are few things that you can do in C++ that you can't do more neatly (or at least more prettily) in C# these days (although using managed C++ does allow you to call unmanaged classes from managed C++ code without having to resort to COM interop).
.Net being on the target platform isn't an issue now. Usually only computers that have illegal copies of Windows XP (or earlier versions of Windows) don't have the framework. This is because it is an update for XP and Vista has it preinstalled. And even then illegal copies of XP can download the .Net framework, filling the last little gap.
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht View Post
.Net being on the target platform isn't an issue now. Usually only computers that have illegal copies of Windows XP (or earlier versions of Windows) don't have the framework. This is because it is an update for XP and Vista has it preinstalled. And even then illegal copies of XP can download the .Net framework, filling the last little gap.
You'd think that wouldn't you? I work for a company with a strict (some would say harsh) IT policy (can't blame them given the nature of the business) where .NET isn't on their 'Approved Products List' for the primary business LAN, where the standard build machines still come with Windows 2000 much to the disgust of my team who are forced to write apps using Visual Studio 6 simply because we can't get the company to revise their stance...

Anyway I digress, my point is, never make assumptions about target platforms sometimes it is an issue thanks to company IT policies.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwolf View Post
You'd think that wouldn't you? I work for a company with a strict (some would say harsh) IT policy (can't blame them given the nature of the business) where .NET isn't on their 'Approved Products List' for the primary business LAN, where the standard build machines still come with Windows 2000 much to the disgust of my team who are forced to write apps using Visual Studio 6 simply because we can't get the company to revise their stance...

Anyway I digress, my point is, never make assumptions about target platforms sometimes it is an issue thanks to company IT policies.
How could they still be on Win2K? I mean its more secure then XP but Vista is a whole world apart from both of them. And .Net, i mean really .Net is a great platform.
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht View Post
How could they still be on Win2K? I mean its more secure then XP but Vista is a whole world apart from both of them. And .Net, i mean really .Net is a great platform.
Vista would require the roll-out of several hundred (if not several thousand) new PCs that are actually capable of running the damn thing I know .NET is great and there's almost certainly nothing in it that has the potential for a gaping security hole, so we must muddle along with the tools that we're given...
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwolf View Post
Vista would require the roll-out of several hundred (if not several thousand) new PCs that are actually capable of running the damn thing I know .NET is great and there's almost certainly nothing in it that has the potential for a gaping security hole, so we must muddle along with the tools that we're given...
Vista isn't as bad as you think. My 1.8ghz Turion that bearly plays WMP with 512mb of RAM runs it fine. I was so impressed with how well it ran and the fact it booted up everything running perfectly (generic drivers.)
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht View Post
Vista isn't as bad as you think. My 1.8ghz Turion that bearly plays WMP with 512mb of RAM runs it fine. I was so impressed with how well it ran and the fact it booted up everything running perfectly (generic drivers.)

Careful what you say - that's very nearly heresy in some places never the less, the decision to upgrade isn't mine to make, so we do the best with the tools that we're given. Pass me that hammer - I think I see a nail.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Application Programming
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Coding and Programming › Application Programming › Software/Program for Computer Enthusiasts