Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 7800 GS AGP on Dell Dimension 4600?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

7800 GS AGP on Dell Dimension 4600? - Page 2

post #11 of 36
the AGP 3850 512MB Is probably the most powerful AGP-based GPU currently available. It shouldn't eat up too too much power but for the most part OEM PSUs are just barely enough for bone stock...

They don't use proprietary connectors but on some older OEM machines I've encountered the mount/housing for hte PSU is non-standard...

...all that and a 2.8ghz P4 is gonna bottleneck a high-end card liek the 3850. Keep in mind you'll still see an amazing increase over you POS 6200, but It won't be close to the pci-e version on a modern system. To counterdict(sp? lol) myself even more: Don't get me wrong I personally think the Pentium 4s are nothing to sneeze @. They we're and IMHO still are good/decent CPUs.
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Would I damage anything by trying it?
So far, I've seen the 7950 GT. Is the HD380 a better card?
PSU looks like it will be about £50, which is a bargain if it gets me a machine supporting a decent card. I believe it is a normal PSU but I have heard that Dell use non-standard connectors.
Hmmm. Is there any way you could borrow a normal PSu to try-
This forum suggests a normal PSU would work-
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=212930
http://www.techimo.com/forum/general...rades-ram.html

It probably wouldn't damage anything if the PSU failed, but looking at what I've read about that dell PSU, you may be best replaceing it. the 7950gt is about the same as a hd3850.

I reckon its just a normal PSU, if it is, you can get a 500w one for about £10.
Edited by coffeejunky - 5/30/08 at 11:42am
post #13 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
the AGP 3850 512MB Is probably the most powerful AGP-based GPU currently available. It shouldn't eat up too too much power but for the most part OEM PSUs are just barely enough for bone stock...

They don't use proprietary connectors but on some older OEM machines I've encountered the mount/housing for hte PSU is non-standard...

...all that and a 2.8ghz P4 is gonna bottleneck a high-end card liek the 3850. Keep in mind you'll still see an amazing increase over you POS 6200, but It won't be close to the pci-e version on a modern system. To counterdict(sp? lol) myself even more: Don't get me wrong I personally think the Pentium 4s are nothing to sneeze @. They we're and IMHO still are good/decent CPUs.
So the question is: Would replacing it be a painful excercise?

Not sure there's much point getting a card that will be bottlenecked by the CPU but I'm not sure if there is something which would fit perfectly, I prefer overkill to underperforming. I personally like the Pentium 4s, took me a long time to be convinced over to Core 2 Duo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeejunky View Post
Hmmm. Is there any way you could borrow a normal PSu to try-
This forum suggests a normal PSU would work-
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=212930
http://www.techimo.com/forum/general...rades-ram.html

It probably wouldn't damage anything if the PSU failed, but looking at what I've read about that dell PSU, you may be best replaceing it. the 7950gt is about the same as a hd3850.

I reckon its just a normal PSU, if it is, you can get a 500w one for about £10.
I don't have any spare PSU's lying around (only 2 other desktops in the house, one is completely ancient and the other is still older than this). Most of my friends use laptops now.

I've heard about the PSU problems, so I am tempted to just go ahead and replace it. I wouldn't be too upset if the PSU failed, but it would be slightly inconvenient.

The estimates I found from google and the links on this site were about £50, if I can get it for £10 then I wouldn't mind buying one now on the off-chance that it might work. Any advice on where to get one?
Edited by The General - 5/30/08 at 12:12pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 HT @ 2.8 Stock GeForce 6200 AGP (NV44a) 2.25GB (2x1024 +2x128MB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
100GB ASUS DVD/RW Windows XP 15" 
PowerCaseMouse
Stock Dell Dimension 4600 Razer Death Adder 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 HT @ 2.8 Stock GeForce 6200 AGP (NV44a) 2.25GB (2x1024 +2x128MB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
100GB ASUS DVD/RW Windows XP 15" 
PowerCaseMouse
Stock Dell Dimension 4600 Razer Death Adder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
So the question is: Would replacing it be a painful excercise?

Not sure there's much point getting a card that will be bottlenecked by the CPU but I'm not sure if there is something which would fit perfectly, I prefer overkill to underperforming. I personally like the Pentium 4s, took me a long time to be convinced over to Core 2 Duo.


I don't have any spare PSU's lying around (only 2 other desktops in the house, one is completely ancient and the other is still older than this. Most of my friends use laptops now.

I've heard about the PSU problems, so I am tempted to just go ahead and replace it. I wouldn't be too upset if the PSU failed, but it would be slightly inconvenient.

The estimates I found from google and the links on this site were about £50, if I can get it for £10 then I wouldn't mind buying one now on the off-chance that it might work. Any advice on where to get one?
eBuyer
Scan
I'll just look around for a good-ish one
Edited by coffeejunky - 5/30/08 at 12:40pm
post #15 of 36
This PSU would probably be a good choice-
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120674
Its cheap and probably low quality, but it can't be any worse than the one you have now

This would be a good GPU choice IMO-
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134856

Or this -
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/144327

Both are fairly equal performance wise. Free p&p over £50 on ebuyer too.

(Sorry for double-post)
post #16 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeejunky View Post
This PSU would probably be a good choice-
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120674
Its cheap and probably low quality, but it can't be any worse than the one you have now

This would be a good GPU choice IMO-
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134856

Or this -
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/144327

Both are fairly equal performance wise. Free p&p over £50 on ebuyer too.

(Sorry for double-post)
PSU is so cheap I think I'll just whack it in and see what happens (Scientific approach ), for £10 it's worth a try.

The Sapphire HD 2600XT looks good, I'd go for that because of the GDDR3 memory. I'll throw all this stuff together and hope it doesn't explode .

Thanks a lot,
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 HT @ 2.8 Stock GeForce 6200 AGP (NV44a) 2.25GB (2x1024 +2x128MB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
100GB ASUS DVD/RW Windows XP 15" 
PowerCaseMouse
Stock Dell Dimension 4600 Razer Death Adder 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 HT @ 2.8 Stock GeForce 6200 AGP (NV44a) 2.25GB (2x1024 +2x128MB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
100GB ASUS DVD/RW Windows XP 15" 
PowerCaseMouse
Stock Dell Dimension 4600 Razer Death Adder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 36
I have a pentium 4 2.8 and i am sure i bottlenecks my 9800Pro. When i had my frends 3.6Ghz the scores when up alot. I would go for a much lower card then 7800GS. I know that best card a Pentium 4 @ around 3.2 is 7600GT. Since you have a 2.8Ghz then X1650Pro should do fine and cost cheap + even if you get 7800GS the extra power will not get used becuase of the CPU so why waist money.
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
I have a pentium 4 2.8 and i am sure i bottlenecks my 9800Pro. When i had my frends 3.6Ghz the scores when up alot. I would go for a much lower card then 7800GS. I know that best card a Pentium 4 @ around 3.2 is 7600GT. Since you have a 2.8Ghz then X1650Pro should do fine and cost cheap + even if you get 7800GS the extra power will not get used becuase of the CPU so why waist money.
Question is: Where do I draw the line? I would hate to get a card thinking I've overkilled and it turns out I should have bought a better one for £10 more.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 HT @ 2.8 Stock GeForce 6200 AGP (NV44a) 2.25GB (2x1024 +2x128MB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
100GB ASUS DVD/RW Windows XP 15" 
PowerCaseMouse
Stock Dell Dimension 4600 Razer Death Adder 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium 4 HT @ 2.8 Stock GeForce 6200 AGP (NV44a) 2.25GB (2x1024 +2x128MB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
100GB ASUS DVD/RW Windows XP 15" 
PowerCaseMouse
Stock Dell Dimension 4600 Razer Death Adder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Question is: Where do I draw the line? I would hate to get a card thinking I've overkilled and it turns out I should have bought a better one for £10 more.
Amen.. and a better card will have a bit better resale down the line if you sell your old stuff (I still can't part with Pentium Pro's)
Jesus PC v5.3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R 5850 GSkill 1600 MHz 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3x1200.12 500GB RAID 0, 2x2TB Deskstar RAID 1 Samsung Writemaster SATA Gentoo, Windows 7 x64 3x 21.5" Samsungs 
PowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake 750W RocketPwn G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Jesus PC v5.3
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 Gigabyte X58A-UD3R 5850 GSkill 1600 MHz 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3x1200.12 500GB RAID 0, 2x2TB Deskstar RAID 1 Samsung Writemaster SATA Gentoo, Windows 7 x64 3x 21.5" Samsungs 
PowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake 750W RocketPwn G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Would I damage anything by trying it?
So far, I've seen the 7950 GT. Is the HD380 a better card?
PSU looks like it will be about £50, which is a bargain if it gets me a machine supporting a decent card. I believe it is a normal PSU but I have heard that Dell use non-standard connectors.
I had a 7800gt on a 420watt 28a apevia PSU and had it oc'd to its max.. Never had any probs
Das Boot
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630 3.5ghz Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H nVidia 9600GT 512mb 4GB Patriot DDR3 1333MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 320 GB Samsung DVD/RW Windows 10 Acer 19" WS 1440x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
USB Keyboard Antec Earthwatts 500 Watts Antec Sonata Logitech usb 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
Das Boot
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630 3.5ghz Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H nVidia 9600GT 512mb 4GB Patriot DDR3 1333MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital 320 GB Samsung DVD/RW Windows 10 Acer 19" WS 1440x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
USB Keyboard Antec Earthwatts 500 Watts Antec Sonata Logitech usb 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › 7800 GS AGP on Dell Dimension 4600?