Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [VR Zone] GTX 280 GPU-Z
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[VR Zone] GTX 280 GPU-Z - Page 8

post #71 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickS View Post
Yea but if you look into it there are technical reasons why a video card can only *effectively* use double it's bit rate in memory. Something about how it can only read and write from only double its bit size. Which is the same reaosn why the 1GB HD3850's and 8800GT's are useless.
No. That's totaly absurd, for many reasons.

There are several examples of 128-bit cards that can effectively use 512MiB of memory, and several examples of 256-bit cards that cannot effectively use 512MiB of memory. The 512-bit HD2900s see even less benefit from 1GiB of video memory than the 8800GT does. It's all about the needs of the application and the GPU horsepower available. It's not that the card cannot detect or utilize the memory, it's that anything that needs so much will run too slow anyway.

Also, others have pointed out, most PCs have 64-bit or 128-bit memory busses, that work just fine with two, four, or even more gibibytes of system memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickS View Post
Wrong, go read up on it and do some searches on here. If anything, adding the extra VRAM to the small bus will slow down the card.
I am quite correct.

As to why some 8800GT 1GiB are slower in some test, that's because they have worse memory timings. You can see this for yourself. Download NiBiTor, then download a 512MiB 8800GT BIOS, and a 1024MiB 8800GT BIOS; take a look inside and compaire timings.

It's the same reason my computer would be slower with 4GiB of memory than 2GiB. I don't use anything that needs more than two, and 4GiB would not run with the same timings at these speeds.

In the admitedly rare cases where a game does not need more rendering power than a G92 can provide, and does use more than 512MiB of memory, a 1GiB 8800GT will have a distinct advantage over the 512MiB model.
Primary
(15 items)
 
Secondary
(13 items)
 
In progress
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K @ 4.3/3.6GHz core/uncore, 1.225/1.2v Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion (F22n) 2x Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC New Edition (10036... 4x4GiB Crucial @ 2667, 12-11-12-27-T1, 1.37v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M6e 128GB (fw 1.05) M.2 (PCI-E 2.0 2x) 2x Crucial M4 256GB 4x WD Scorpio Black 500GB Cooler Master Nepton 280L 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 BenQ BL3200PT Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (MX Brown) Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech G402 Realtek ALC1150 + M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5670 @ 4.4/3.2GHz core/uncore, 1.36 vcore, 1.2... Gigabyte X58A-UD5 r2.0 w/FF3mod10 BIOS Reference R9 290X w/Stilt's MLU 1000e / 1375m E... 2x Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US @ 2000, 10-11-11-30-T1,... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Crucial BLT4G3D1608ET3LX0 @ 2000, 10-11-11-3... OCZ (Toshiba) Trion 150 120GB Hyundai Sapphire 120GB 3x Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000.C 1TB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 Antec TP-750 Fractal Design R5 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6800K @ 4.3/3.5GHz core/uncore, 1.36/1.2v ASRock X99 OC Formula (P3.10) GTX 780 (temporary) 4x4GiB Crucial DDR4-2400 @ 11-13-12-28-T2, 1.33v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 600p 256GB NVMe 2x HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1TB Corsair H55 (temporary) Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-860XP2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Primary
(15 items)
 
Secondary
(13 items)
 
In progress
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K @ 4.3/3.6GHz core/uncore, 1.225/1.2v Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion (F22n) 2x Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC New Edition (10036... 4x4GiB Crucial @ 2667, 12-11-12-27-T1, 1.37v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M6e 128GB (fw 1.05) M.2 (PCI-E 2.0 2x) 2x Crucial M4 256GB 4x WD Scorpio Black 500GB Cooler Master Nepton 280L 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 BenQ BL3200PT Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (MX Brown) Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech G402 Realtek ALC1150 + M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5670 @ 4.4/3.2GHz core/uncore, 1.36 vcore, 1.2... Gigabyte X58A-UD5 r2.0 w/FF3mod10 BIOS Reference R9 290X w/Stilt's MLU 1000e / 1375m E... 2x Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US @ 2000, 10-11-11-30-T1,... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Crucial BLT4G3D1608ET3LX0 @ 2000, 10-11-11-3... OCZ (Toshiba) Trion 150 120GB Hyundai Sapphire 120GB 3x Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000.C 1TB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 Antec TP-750 Fractal Design R5 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6800K @ 4.3/3.5GHz core/uncore, 1.36/1.2v ASRock X99 OC Formula (P3.10) GTX 780 (temporary) 4x4GiB Crucial DDR4-2400 @ 11-13-12-28-T2, 1.33v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 600p 256GB NVMe 2x HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1TB Corsair H55 (temporary) Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-860XP2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 100
Do you have any proof? All that you keep on doing is posting false information with no actual proof. I will go ahead and post some links up in a second that will prove you wrong.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 170 @ 2.81 on stock volts ASUS A8N5X XFX G92 8800GTS 2X1GB kingston DDR333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 250GB & Seagate 160GB Windows XP Pro SP3 P275 CRT Logitech Media Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Sparkle 550W CM 690 Intellimouse 3.0 Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 170 @ 2.81 on stock volts ASUS A8N5X XFX G92 8800GTS 2X1GB kingston DDR333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 250GB & Seagate 160GB Windows XP Pro SP3 P275 CRT Logitech Media Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Sparkle 550W CM 690 Intellimouse 3.0 Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickS View Post
Do you have any proof? All that you keep on doing is posting false information with no actual proof. I will go ahead and post some links up in a second that will prove you wrong.
I've got to say, for someone who wants to sound like they know whats going on you keep digging deeper. It is possible and actual, that a card or any processor can effectively use more than twice it's memory bit bus.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9650 E0 @ 4GHz (445x9) on 1.325V (bios) | ASUS Rampage Formula x48 | | BIOS 0410 | Visiontek 4870 790/1100 | 2x2GB G.Skill PI @1069MHz | 1.9V | 5-5-5-15 2T | 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 2x320GB 7200.10 in RAID 0 + 250GB 7200.10 Lite-On DVD+-R/RW DL Vista Ultimate x64 42" Aquous @ 1440 x 900 (1920 x 1080 is too small) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX5500 Silverstone DA750 THE Rocketfish Logitech MX Revolution 
Mouse Pad
Neat one from Body Worlds exhibit 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9650 E0 @ 4GHz (445x9) on 1.325V (bios) | ASUS Rampage Formula x48 | | BIOS 0410 | Visiontek 4870 790/1100 | 2x2GB G.Skill PI @1069MHz | 1.9V | 5-5-5-15 2T | 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 2x320GB 7200.10 in RAID 0 + 250GB 7200.10 Lite-On DVD+-R/RW DL Vista Ultimate x64 42" Aquous @ 1440 x 900 (1920 x 1080 is too small) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX5500 Silverstone DA750 THE Rocketfish Logitech MX Revolution 
Mouse Pad
Neat one from Body Worlds exhibit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickS View Post
Do you have any proof? All that you keep on doing is posting false information with no actual proof. I will go ahead and post some links up in a second that will prove you wrong.
lol ... seriously dude, stop.
post #75 of 100
Imagine that you are working in a factory making toys (even better, making gpus). The parts come in on a conveyor belt and you put them together at which point they exit the room on the other side. You start doing the job, but gradually you can make the parts faster than they can come to you. When your foreman sees this (everyone knows the foreman wants a promotion) he has two options pay to make the conveyor belt faster or put in another belt and have you work both.

Ati decided to pay for the faster conveyor and save space. Nvidia decided to put in another assembly line. Both do the same thing. They increase the amount of data that goes to the processor.

Probably the Ati solution is cheaper in the long run because of falling ram prices and smaller die size. If nvidia can pull its yields out of the dirt (40% is not very good compared to around 70%) their architecture will pay off when they add gddr5 next year (because they already have a process "fine tuned" to 512 bit).

Quicks
in computers there is a trade off of space for access speed. For example a hard disc drive holds 1T of information but it takes x milliseconds to find it and x milliseconds to read it and x milliseconds to send the information. RAM holds (typically) about 3Gig of information but it takes less time to find and read and send the information. L3, L2, and L1 cache are even faster, but hold less information. The question is how much is needed?

Picture a water tank. You keep filling your cup from the spout at the bottom and walking over to a horse trough and dumping it. My Job is to keep the water tank full. You can move quickly (you only have a little cup). I have a five gallon bucket but I move slowly. The tank only holds so much water. If you can haul the water faster than I can keep it in the tank, a bigger tank is needed.

Likewise with RAM. If the Ram can hold enough information to last until the hard drive can get another "bucket" of data hauled, no more is needed. Some graphics cards have an architecture which can use more ram and some can use less.

This is a very basic description and maybe imperfect (if so please correct me).

Sorry I didn't have time to find sources.
post #76 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajile View Post
Imagine that you are working in a factory making toys (even better, making gpus). The parts come in on a conveyor belt and you put them together at which point they exit the room on the other side. You start doing the job, but gradually you can make the parts faster than they can come to you. When your foreman sees this (everyone knows the foreman wants a promotion) he has two options pay to make the conveyor belt faster or put in another belt and have you work both.

Ati decided to pay for the faster conveyor and save space. Nvidia decided to put in another assembly line. Both do the same thing. They increase the amount of data that goes to the processor.

Probably the Ati solution is cheaper in the long run because of falling ram prices and smaller die size. If nvidia can pull its yields out of the dirt (40% is not very good compared to around 70%) their architecture will pay off when they add gddr5 next year (because they already have a process "fine tuned" to 512 bit).

Quicks
in computers there is a trade off of space for access speed. For example a hard disc drive holds 1T of information but it takes x milliseconds to find it and x milliseconds to read it and x milliseconds to send the information. RAM holds (typically) about 3Gig of information but it takes less time to find and read and send the information. L3, L2, and L1 cache are even faster, but hold less information. The question is how much is needed?

Picture a water tank. You keep filling your cup from the spout at the bottom and walking over to a horse trough and dumping it. My Job is to keep the water tank full. You can move quickly (you only have a little cup). I have a five gallon bucket but I move slowly. The tank only holds so much water. If you can haul the water faster than I can keep it in the tank, a bigger tank is needed.

Likewise with RAM. If the Ram can hold enough information to last until the hard drive can get another "bucket" of data hauled, no more is needed. Some graphics cards have an architecture which can use more ram and some can use less.

This is a very basic description and maybe imperfect (if so please correct me).

Sorry I didn't have time to find sources.
1) Welcome to OCN!

2) Great explanation

3) NVidia will not be implementing anything more advanced than GDDR3 until ANOTHER new architecture comes out.
post #77 of 100
must, buy, new, video, card....(in a hypnotized voice)
post #78 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljason8eg View Post
With these power hungry cards, we're nearing the limits on a home wall circuit if you're talking about a super high end rig. A tri SLI system with these will pull like 1000w or maybe more. And that's with no overclocking! Home circuits are generally only 1600w, and there's likely WAY more than a just the PC on the circuit.

Haha I could see it now, your in the middle of an intense game of Crysis multiplayer, you peek out from cover and bang! you get hammered from all sides with small arms fire, (your lights in the room dim and start to flicker). Some one pulls out the mega gun, fires and boom this huge explosion fills your screen for a second, fire and body parts fly right at your screen and (CLICK) breaker flips, and your computer goes dead.

My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 @3.5ghz Foxconn Bloodrage x58 BFG GTX 280 @ 665 MHZ SLI 6 Gigs 1600 Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 250 Raid 0 Vista ultimate X64 24 inch BENQ fp241vw 1920x1200 Logitec G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra X3 1000 watt Cooler master Praetorian (modded for w/c) Microsoft wireless laser 6000 RocketFish 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 @3.5ghz Foxconn Bloodrage x58 BFG GTX 280 @ 665 MHZ SLI 6 Gigs 1600 Corsair Dominator 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
WD 250 Raid 0 Vista ultimate X64 24 inch BENQ fp241vw 1920x1200 Logitec G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra X3 1000 watt Cooler master Praetorian (modded for w/c) Microsoft wireless laser 6000 RocketFish 
  hide details  
Reply
post #79 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTrooper View Post
Haha I could see it now, your in the middle of an intense game of Crysis multiplayer, you peek out from cover and bang! you get hammered from all sides with small arms fire, (your lights in the room dim and start to flicker). Some one pulls out the mega gun, fires and boom this huge explosion fills your screen for a second, fire and body parts fly right at your screen and (CLICK) breaker flips, and your computer goes dead.

Well...i have a UPS so i'd just keep on playing...in the dark
SFF Goodness
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASRock z87m OC formula MSI GTX 780 GAMING 8GB G Skill Ripjaw DDR3 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk Extreme II 480 GB Seagate 2TB Noctua NH-D14 Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2312HM x3 Das Model S Professional Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w Silverstone SG10 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Xfi Titanium HD Audioengine 5+ Velodyne Impact 12 
  hide details  
Reply
SFF Goodness
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k ASRock z87m OC formula MSI GTX 780 GAMING 8GB G Skill Ripjaw DDR3 2400MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk Extreme II 480 GB Seagate 2TB Noctua NH-D14 Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2312HM x3 Das Model S Professional Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w Silverstone SG10 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Logitech G500 Xfi Titanium HD Audioengine 5+ Velodyne Impact 12 
  hide details  
Reply
post #80 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljason8eg View Post
Well...i have a UPS so i'd just keep on playing...in the dark
Hhahaahahhaa.... I bet the UPS would last 30 seconds with them GPU's working.
Lucky 7
(13 items)
 
TJ07 Type R
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i9 7900X @ 4.70Ghz 1.2v MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon 2 x eVGA Nvidia GTX1080Ti SC2 SLI  32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD Custom Water w/ EK XE360 & EK XRES 140 D5 & EK ... Windows 10 Pro Acer Predator XB241YU 144Hz 1440p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 Corsair RM1000x w/ Sleeved cables Modded Corsair 750D Razer Deathadder Elite 
Audio
Creative Soundblaster ZxR 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 950 @ 4.2Ghz ASUS Rampage III Extreme (EK Full Coverage Block) 2 x ASUS GTX480's (EK Full Cover blocks / Black... 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x 128GB Crucial C300 SSD (RAID 0) & Samsung F... Pioneer DVR215D Heatkiller 3.0 Full Copper / Black Ice 360GTS Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
3 x Samsung P2450's Corsair HX1000 (Sleeved Red) Modded TJ07 ASUS Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
Lucky 7
(13 items)
 
TJ07 Type R
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i9 7900X @ 4.70Ghz 1.2v MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon 2 x eVGA Nvidia GTX1080Ti SC2 SLI  32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD Custom Water w/ EK XE360 & EK XRES 140 D5 & EK ... Windows 10 Pro Acer Predator XB241YU 144Hz 1440p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 Corsair RM1000x w/ Sleeved cables Modded Corsair 750D Razer Deathadder Elite 
Audio
Creative Soundblaster ZxR 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 950 @ 4.2Ghz ASUS Rampage III Extreme (EK Full Coverage Block) 2 x ASUS GTX480's (EK Full Cover blocks / Black... 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x 128GB Crucial C300 SSD (RAID 0) & Samsung F... Pioneer DVR215D Heatkiller 3.0 Full Copper / Black Ice 360GTS Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
3 x Samsung P2450's Corsair HX1000 (Sleeved Red) Modded TJ07 ASUS Xonar STX 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [VR Zone] GTX 280 GPU-Z