To protect your replacement "new" system I would strongly recommend getting a Tripp Lite ISO-BAR.
A 6-outlet is ideal protection for most people's hardware. http://www.tripplite.com/products/pr...?productID=105
The ISOBAR line-up.
A little over a year ago, one of the OCing review sites did a benchmark on surge protectors. The ISOBARs won every category. Even simulated lightning strikes.
Model #: ISOBAR6
- 6 outlets/6-ft. cord
- 2350 joule rating
- All metal housing
- Isolated filter banks
- $50,000 Ultimate Lifetime Insurance (USA, Puerto Rico & Canada only)
- Estimated Retail Pricing: $95.00
- Lifetime product warranty
- Multi-component suppression circuits combine torroidal chokes, ferrite rod-core inductors, HF/VHF capacitors and multiple layers of metal oxide varistors into exclusive isolated filter banks that remove EMI/RFI interference, even noise from other pieces of connected equipment.
- Robust surge suppression with sine-wave tracking protects against the heaviest of surge conditions, exceeding IEEE category A&B specifications and reducing 6,000V test surges to harmless levels less than 35 volts
- Tripp Lite's ISOBAR is the world's #1 selling premium suppressor series with more than 14 million satisfied customers and a safety-tested history of 20+ years.
Years ago I lived in an area called lightning alley. I own two 8-outlet ISOBARS. These things live up to their claims.