Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › XP x64 Only Sees One CPU??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

XP x64 Only Sees One CPU?? - Page 2

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sP00N View Post
XP x64 is total crap. If your still doubtful about Vista go with server 2003 x64.
LOL! How do I even respond to this?

You are of course aware that XP x64 is basically Server 2003 with a new name stamped on and different GUI settings and defaults that are more conducive of a workstation rather than a server? They use the exact same service pack ffs, and furthermore there are a good deal of programs that will not install on server 2003 because they detect it as, gasp, a server OS.

Would you mind sharing your exact reasoning on how you came to the conclusion that XP x64 is "total crap"?
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
LOL! How do I even respond to this?

You are of course aware that XP x64 is basically Server 2003 with a new name stamped on and different GUI settings and defaults that are more conducive of a workstation rather than a server? They use the exact same service pack ffs, and furthermore there are a good deal of programs that will not install on server 2003 because they detect it as, gasp, a server OS.

Would you mind sharing your exact reasoning on how you came to the conclusion that XP x64 is "total crap"?
From what I've seen when messing around in XP x64, driver support is total crap when compared to newer x64 versions of windows. In Vista x64, I can get all of my hardware to work. In XP x64, a lot of what I was using was crippled and no drivers even existed for some things.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
LOL! How do I even respond to this?

You are of course aware that XP x64 is basically Server 2003 with a new name stamped on and different GUI settings and defaults that are more conducive of a workstation rather than a server? They use the exact same service pack ffs, and furthermore there are a good deal of programs that will not install on server 2003 because they detect it as, gasp, a server OS.

Would you mind sharing your exact reasoning on how you came to the conclusion that XP x64 is "total crap"?
Exactly what I was thinking.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700k @ 4.5 GHz Asus Sabertooth Z170 S ZOTAC GTX 1070 AMP! 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX100 512GB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Toshiba 2TB 7.2K RPM Silicon Power S60 120GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer G257HU Logitech G910 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Steelseries Rival Some cheap generic crap 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar DGX Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ Eurocom X3 R2/Clevo P157SM-A GeForce GTX 965M 4GB @ 1178/1353 MHz 16GB DDR3L 1866 @ 2133 11-11-11-31-2T 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
[SSD] Mushkin ECO2 240GB [HDD] HGST 1TB 7.2K RPM SATA III Stock Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
15.6" 1080P LCD Stock Stock 180W Stock 
MouseAudio
Touchpad/Microsoft Optical Mouse Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 6700k @ 4.5 GHz Asus Sabertooth Z170 S ZOTAC GTX 1070 AMP! 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2800 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX100 512GB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Toshiba 2TB 7.2K RPM Silicon Power S60 120GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Pro x64 Acer G257HU Logitech G910 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Steelseries Rival Some cheap generic crap 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar DGX Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4710MQ Eurocom X3 R2/Clevo P157SM-A GeForce GTX 965M 4GB @ 1178/1353 MHz 16GB DDR3L 1866 @ 2133 11-11-11-31-2T 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
[SSD] Mushkin ECO2 240GB [HDD] HGST 1TB 7.2K RPM SATA III Stock Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
15.6" 1080P LCD Stock Stock 180W Stock 
MouseAudio
Touchpad/Microsoft Optical Mouse Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by h33b View Post
From what I've seen when messing around in XP x64, driver support is total crap when compared to newer x64 versions of windows. In Vista x64, I can get all of my hardware to work. In XP x64, a lot of what I was using was crippled and no drivers even existed for some things.
Would you please provide a specific (as well as you can remember) time frame of when you used XP x64 and what version it was (Beta, RC, Gold, SP1, SP2, etc...)?

Also, would you please provide a list of all the hardware you had that does not have driver support in XP x64, but does have support in Vista 64? Please be specific, and include the brand and model numbers.
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
Would you please provide a specific (as well as you can remember) time frame of when you used XP x64 and what version it was (Beta, RC, Gold, SP1, SP2, etc...)?

Also, would you please provide a list of all the hardware you had that does not have driver support in XP x64, but does have support in Vista 64? Please be specific, and include the brand and model numbers.
It was a little more than a year and a half ago if I recall correctly, so after updates I'm guessing SP2. I remember specifically having issues with my X-fi, likely my abit airpace wifi adapter as well. I'm trying to remember what other hardware I had at the time. I think some of my peripherals were also not working properly at the time, such as my joysticks (Saitek X-52).

That being said, I don't think XP x64 is Total crap, I just didn't have a pleasent experience with it, especially after it had been released or a number of years. After waiting a little over a year to start really using Vista x64, it seemed that the transition to Vista was a lot easier, as everything that I have had a driver available. For me, my dislike comes more from the experience, not from technical abilities of an OS.
post #16 of 17
I used to use an X-fi with XP x64 and it worked perfectly. A little over a year and a half ago... would put you at SP1. SP1 was the first release of XP x64 that marked the turning point from not really suitable as a 100% drop in replacement for XP, to almost suitable for a 100% drop in replacement for XP.

XP x64 had the misfortune of being the first real 64-bit workstation OS that MS released, and as such, for a good while after it was launched, the driver and application support was quite poor. However, after SP1 was released for XP x64 (and FYI, XP x64 SP1 is newer than XP SP2, and contains all the fixes and enhancements and then some), support slowly started to increase, at a rate that gradually got faster.

Unfortunately, most PC enthusiasts already had the sour taste of no driver and/or application support in their mouth's, and had falsely attributed it to XP x64 sucking hard. And more unfortunate, is that the effects of that first sour aftertaste are still being felt today, which is easily observed through the blind hostility most people regard XP x64 with, even people that have never used it, but just heard from others who heard from others who heard from others that it sucked.

Today, XP x64 SP2 is an extremely mature OS, with just as much (if not more) driver support for hardware as Vista 64 has, and all applications work perfectly.

Vista 64's popularity is only riding on the fact that it was Microsoft's second 64-bit mainstream workstation OS, and many of the kinks present with the first release of XP x64 were ironed out due to 64-bit support being much more widespread because of XP x64... even though most people still hold nothing but contempt for it.

XP x64 is every bit as good as Vista 64, and in many ways, even better.
Edited by 003 - 6/6/08 at 12:17pm
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
I used to use an X-fi with XP x64 and it worked perfectly. A little over a year and a half ago... would put you at SP1. SP1 was the first release of XP x64 that marked the turning point from not really suitable as a 100% drop in replacement for XP, to almost suitable for a 100% drop in replacement for XP.

XP x64 had the misfortune of being the first real 64-bit workstation OS that MS released, and as such, for a good while after it was launched, the driver and application support was quite poor. However, after SP1 was released for XP x64 (and FYI, XP x64 SP1 is newer than XP SP2, and contains all the fixes and enhancements and then some), support slowly started to increase, at a rate that gradually got faster.

Unfortunately, most PC enthusiasts already had the sour taste of no driver and/or application support in their mouth's, and had falsely attributed it to XP x64 sucking hard. And more unfortunate, is that the effects of that first sour aftertaste are still being felt today, which is easily observed through the blind hostility most people regard XP x64 with, even people that have never used it, but just heard from others who heard from others who heard from others that it sucked.

Today, XP x64 SP2 is an extremely mature OS, with just as much (if not more) driver support for hardware as Vista 64 has, and all applications work perfectly.

Vista 64's popularity is only riding on the fact that it was Microsoft's second 64-bit mainstream workstation OS, and many of the kinks present with the first release of XP x64 were ironed out due to 64-bit support being much more widespread because of XP x64... even though most people still hold nothing but contempt for it.

XP x64 is every bit as good as Vista 64, and in many ways, even better.
well how about that. You are absolutely right about the sour taste thing. This is a lot more than I ever knew about XP x64, thanks for clarifying all of this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › XP x64 Only Sees One CPU??