Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Official [SMT] DFI Lanparty DK 790FX-M2RS + AMD Phenom 9850 BE Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official [SMT] DFI Lanparty DK 790FX-M2RS + AMD Phenom 9850 BE Thread - Page 3

post #21 of 123
There's no DFI offerings yet for 780a
post #22 of 123
The HT confusion...
HT has nothing to do with the RAMs speed.
RAM speed is determined by the RAM setting in the BIOS whether it be 1:1 or divided and factored with the relative effect of the CPUs bus speed.
HT is relative to the CPU's speed and the selected HT multiplier.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 965 ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 9800GTx2 2x2G OCZ Reapers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500G WD Black LiteOn CD/DVD R/W Win7 64 22'' ws Acer AL2223W 
KeyboardPowerMouse
MS KU462 Natural SS DA750 MS 5 button 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 965 ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 9800GTx2 2x2G OCZ Reapers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500G WD Black LiteOn CD/DVD R/W Win7 64 22'' ws Acer AL2223W 
KeyboardPowerMouse
MS KU462 Natural SS DA750 MS 5 button 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
The HT confusion...
HT has nothing to do with the RAMs speed.
RAM speed is determined by the RAM setting in the BIOS whether it be 1:1 or divided and factored with the relative effect of the CPUs bus speed.
HT is relative to the CPU's speed and the selected HT multiplier.
I have trouble any time I mess with Ram, and the only way I have found to get it faster is to raise the FSB and lower the CPU multi. The ratio remains 1:2.

What does the HT speed effect? Is that the speed the board talks to the CPU?
post #24 of 123
Thread Starter 
For some reason my memory wants to play nice now. I can't figure out what I am doing different. It's at 3:8 ratio and 1066 speeds !!1

Since I've got the RAM where it should be. I'm going to start testing fresh.

First I ran at a known easy stable OC of 2.8@14x200, with +.025V to CPU. My results and 3D mark info are below.

Next I'll start raising the multi and voltage until I'm unstable or hit 58C. I don't want to have to buy new gear.

This MB/CPU combo is getting popular so I think this info may help some ppl.

Edited by OpticWaves - 6/15/08 at 11:59pm
post #25 of 123
Thread Starter 
Since I'm reporting OC results I'll not worry about triple posting.

I raised the multi to 14.5 and froze. Raised the voltage to +.05V, and passed 1 test in prime 95. Raised the multi to 15 and froze, raised the voltage to +.075V and froze, raised it to +.1V and hit 58C peed my pants and stopped the test. I ran 3D mark, as it doesn't raise temps much and gained about 600 marks at 3.0G over 2.8. SS is below.

Now because I'm a wuss, and want this great chip to last, I'll lower it to x14.5 +.05V and raise the FSB to 203.
post #26 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticWaves View Post
Since I'm reporting OC results I'll not worry about triple posting.

I raised the multi to 14.5 and froze. Raised the voltage to +.05V, and passed 1 test in prime 95. Raised the multi to 15 and froze, raised the voltage to +.075V and froze, raised it to +.1V and hit 58C peed my pants and stopped the test. I ran 3D mark, as it doesn't raise temps much and gained about 600 marks at 3.0G over 2.8. SS is below.

Now because I'm a wuss, and want this great chip to last, I'll lower it to x14.5 +.05V and raise the FSB to 203.
time for some watercooling my friend. I hit 58C daily with my old Big Typhoon, I'm not sure about the Phenoms but my Opteron 165 doesn't mind 58C. I get worried around 65C-70C and I too need some watercooling
Master Control
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Six-Core  GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD Radeon 480 Red Dragon  Team Vulcan  
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Team Vulcan  Muskin Reactor 2.5 SSD Windows 10 64bit Acer H233H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Microsoft Pro PC Power & Cooling 750W Microsoft Pro old and busted 
  hide details  
Reply
Master Control
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Six-Core  GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD Radeon 480 Red Dragon  Team Vulcan  
RAMHard DriveOSMonitor
Team Vulcan  Muskin Reactor 2.5 SSD Windows 10 64bit Acer H233H 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Microsoft Pro PC Power & Cooling 750W Microsoft Pro old and busted 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianOdin View Post
time for some watercooling my friend. I hit 58C daily with my old Big Typhoon, I'm not sure about the Phenoms but my Opteron 165 doesn't mind 58C. I get worried around 65C-70C and I too need some watercooling
From what I understand the max safe temp for this chip is 61C. This brand new system was a big investment for me as a student, so I'm going to be careful with my OCing, especially since I'm a newbie.

I've got a ways to go before I consider water cooling. I've got alot to learn about overclocking, and I'll do while keeping very low temps with air cooling. When I feel there is nothing left to do and I really know how to use my gear, I'll get some cold water cooling and get sick with it. I'll report my info here throughout, to help anyone that might be able to use it.

I lowered the multi to 14.5, raised the FSB to 203 and froze @+.05V. Raised to +.075V and got to 58C again although I passed 2min in Prime95. SS Below.

Now I'll do some testing on the FSB from x10 and see what I come up with. Any advice on this is welcome, as I don't really understand memory timings and I think memory speed may become a factor.

Edited by OpticWaves - 6/16/08 at 12:56am
post #28 of 123
Thread Starter 
I'm a fool. I had my CPU temps adjusted in BIOS +10C to keep my fans 100% and that's why I was seeing 58C on the TMPIN0.

Now I'm curious why at default it shows 10C less for the overall CPU temp than the Cores?
Edited by OpticWaves - 6/16/08 at 11:39am
post #29 of 123
Thread Starter 
Bios pics and info coming soon !!
post #30 of 123
Sweet, Im hoping for 3.0 and this thread is looking positive

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticWaves View Post
I'm a fool. I had my CPU temps adjusted in BIOS +10C to keep my fans 100% and that's why I was seeing 58C on the TMPIN0.

Now I'm curious why at default it shows 10C less for the overall CPU temp than the Cores?
So your temps are actually 48C????
Edited by coltsrock - 6/16/08 at 1:58pm
Forever Young
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Q815A182 @3.42 (Stock Volts) Asus P5E Sapphire 5850 G.Skill 4GBPQ 1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.12 1TB Samsung 22X SATA DVD Burner (Ordered) Vista Home Premium x64/ Ubuntu 10.04 x64 Samsung T240 24' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair 750TX Antec P180 MX518 
Mouse Pad
Allsop Raindrops 
  hide details  
Reply
Forever Young
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Q815A182 @3.42 (Stock Volts) Asus P5E Sapphire 5850 G.Skill 4GBPQ 1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.12 1TB Samsung 22X SATA DVD Burner (Ordered) Vista Home Premium x64/ Ubuntu 10.04 x64 Samsung T240 24' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair 750TX Antec P180 MX518 
Mouse Pad
Allsop Raindrops 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Official [SMT] DFI Lanparty DK 790FX-M2RS + AMD Phenom 9850 BE Thread