Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Darkfall - 2008?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darkfall - 2008?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
There hasn't been a Darkfall discussion thread in a while so I made one.

If you do not know what DFO is go watch this video. Here

You can learn more about it on the official website. www.DarkfallOnline.com

The game was conceptualized about 8 years ago. The development had been on and off with few working dev's for about 3 years. Then in 2003-2004 a small team, Aventurine, committed to making this game a reality.

This is a sandbox games. It is a full loot, FFA, realist approach to an MMO.
It is not like AoC and WoW, whoring out to all of the 14 year olds for large profits. It is a bunch of older gamers trying to revive what was lost after UO. A true PvP MMO. Read the Wiki

Flame about vaporfall all you want. Go to the DF forums and see the updates, reviews, and newer videos that have come out in recent months.
The Dev's have announced that the Beta will be coming in the next couple months.
Edited by TangerineSky - 6/9/08 at 12:13pm
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 6400+ BE M2N-SLI Delux EVGA 8600GT 2GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveOSPower
Raptor 150GB, WD 200GB Windows XP Thermaltake 750w 
  hide details  
Reply
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 6400+ BE M2N-SLI Delux EVGA 8600GT 2GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveOSPower
Raptor 150GB, WD 200GB Windows XP Thermaltake 750w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 15
Looks like theyve got a pretty decent engine going, depends how it runs. How friendly is the community?
Archon
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz ASUS P8Z68V-Pro eVGA GTX770 SC w/ACX 2x4gb 1600mhz G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
120gb Mushkin Chronos Seagate Barracuda 1tb ASUS Sata Combo drive Win7|Enterprise|64Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer H213H Black Widow Ultimate Corsair TX850|Rev.1 Lancool PC-K62 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX518 Xtrac Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
Archon
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz ASUS P8Z68V-Pro eVGA GTX770 SC w/ACX 2x4gb 1600mhz G.Skill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
120gb Mushkin Chronos Seagate Barracuda 1tb ASUS Sata Combo drive Win7|Enterprise|64Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer H213H Black Widow Ultimate Corsair TX850|Rev.1 Lancool PC-K62 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX518 Xtrac Ripper XL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [FDG]Explosion View Post
Looks like theyve got a pretty decent engine going, depends how it runs. How friendly is the community?
You should check out the forums yourself. I would say the community is friendly just very anti-carebear, griefer.

To be honest I feel at home in that atmosphere. If you love PvP then this is the game for you.
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 6400+ BE M2N-SLI Delux EVGA 8600GT 2GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveOSPower
Raptor 150GB, WD 200GB Windows XP Thermaltake 750w 
  hide details  
Reply
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 6400+ BE M2N-SLI Delux EVGA 8600GT 2GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveOSPower
Raptor 150GB, WD 200GB Windows XP Thermaltake 750w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineSky View Post
This is a sandbox games. It is a full loot, FFA, realist approach to an MMO.
It is not like AoC and WoW, whoring out to all of the 14 year olds for large profits.
...thanks for starting out the discussion.

Firstly, I want to start out with a discussion on this so called ‘realism.’ Let’s start say…400 years back… A man walks out of his house and strolls down the road to the next town a quarters day walk down the road to the East. Some random farmer prances down the road, pulls out a lead hammer, and then smashes his face in. He’s dead—end. The farmer is tracked down eventually because he’s been killing people along that road for a while, and he is executed in front of the high court. His entrails are dragged through the streets.

Here’s another scenario. Same man is walking down the road. A band of bandit arse-hats realize here’s their chance although they have almost NOTHING to gain from this ambush and they jump on the guy. A Wielders (it’s my own version of a magic-user) small imprint appears on the horizon. They turn to run, but as they turn around, he’s standing on the other side of them, leaning on a nearby tree—a shining ivory dagger in his hand and a grin on his face. He murders every single one of the bandits, drags the man who was ambushed to town and sees to it that he lives.

Point is, I don’t care who you think you are—the people who do the wrong thing are eventually caught, and they’re judged and killed. People in FFA MMOs do get killed, but realism, come-freaking-on. If realism was really a factor, there would be a penalty for killing another player (see Lineage 2). Darkfall sounds like gankers heaven to me—not mature FFA where people kill other players to serve a purpose.

Also, please, if you say that the players will police—don’t even. There is always a guild or two that polices but they aren’t organized and they never really get anything done. ‘Policing’ in games like these revolves fully around revenge—that’s it. There are large kingdoms in almost all of these games, so I see no reason why a ganker shouldn’t eventually be tracked to his den in the woods, and then get his character deleted for his crimes. Shoot, I would go for a game like that. (There would be ways to pay them off or work down your infamy…but you couldn’t just go run around and kill other players for no reason)

Also, I like how the hardcore PvPers act like they are better and more mature then everyone else when, in reality, those servers are filled with the most immature people. Shoot, my own co-leader in DAOC -Mordred- stole my own account from me... (though, I did give him the info...he finally cracked after months of having it, I guess)

Darkfall looks cool...its a game made by gamers. So was Horizons. That went all so swell, didn't it?
Edited by Elyaas - 6/7/08 at 8:16am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 15
Sky- fix the darkfall Link in your siggy, darkfall.com = not the actual website.

elyaas- much is true in those times, but i still say that WoW is dodgy. considering how you can be attacked from behind by Sludge puddles and 12feet high trees that walk.
Fyreball
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.8Ghz Gigabyte P35-DS3P Rev 2.0 GeForce 8800GT 512 ,GeForce 8600GT 512Mb (PhysX) G.Skill P.I DDR2-1066, 4x1Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB SATAII Main, 400GB SATAII, Samsung 500Gb x2 Lite-On Lightscribe Windows 7 RC Build 7100 AOC 22" LCD Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Cyborg Great Wall 550w Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Logitech G5 With G7 Skin 
Mouse Pad
Some P.O.S 
  hide details  
Reply
Fyreball
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.8Ghz Gigabyte P35-DS3P Rev 2.0 GeForce 8800GT 512 ,GeForce 8600GT 512Mb (PhysX) G.Skill P.I DDR2-1066, 4x1Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
320GB SATAII Main, 400GB SATAII, Samsung 500Gb x2 Lite-On Lightscribe Windows 7 RC Build 7100 AOC 22" LCD Widescreen 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Cyborg Great Wall 550w Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Logitech G5 With G7 Skin 
Mouse Pad
Some P.O.S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Sky- fix the darkfall Link in your siggy, darkfall.com = not the actual website.

elyaas- much is true in those times, but i still say that WoW is dodgy. considering how you can be attacked from behind by Sludge puddles and 12feet high trees that walk.
You don't see trees walking around?!

BTW, I don't think any MMO is going to be really realistic...I don't want it to be. Why would I want to go to jail if someone pissed me off and they died in a flurry of knives (in game..I mean)? But I also don't think that someone can claim realism when the streets are lined with dead bodies.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS P5N32-E SLI eVGA 8800GTS (600/999) Gskill 2gb HZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
150g Raptor+160g storage Some random DVD+RW Windows 7 RC Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Seasonic 600W SLI TT Armor Logitech MX518 <3 
Mouse Pad
A composition notebook! 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
@ Fyrestorm - Thanks mate, didn't notice that. + rep

@ Elyaas - .....You have got to be kidding me. I think you should brush-up on an English "Critical thinking" class. You obviously have difficulties with reading comprehension.

"A realist approach to an MMO" does not mean they are trying to make the game mimic real life. Else, I would have probably said something along the lines of a "Mirror of Real Life" and I would hate the game.

After you take your reading comprehension class you should take some time to learn about DF before you criticize it’s game system that you know nothing about.
Obviously there won't be gamers policing gamers, that doesn't happen. Thus there is an ailment factor with certain killings and there are checks & balances made to keep the game playable.
It is a PvP game....what do you expect.

After your class and your DF knowledge, then go and play Mount & Blade. That is a realist approach to a video game. It is a medieval game that tries to keep the game somewhat realistic and enjoyable.

You obviously never played UO during the pre-patch era when the PvP was awesome. That PvP enjoyment is what DF is trying to bring back.

You sure do write long paragraphs to make very simple points, I mean why make such a long analogy on a topic so simple…..I suppose I would understand if I had shown a lack of intelligence in my writing but I don’t see it. Ehh, maybe my writing is worse then I thought.

You should probably stick to WoW or Hello Kitty Online.
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 6400+ BE M2N-SLI Delux EVGA 8600GT 2GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveOSPower
Raptor 150GB, WD 200GB Windows XP Thermaltake 750w 
  hide details  
Reply
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 6400+ BE M2N-SLI Delux EVGA 8600GT 2GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveOSPower
Raptor 150GB, WD 200GB Windows XP Thermaltake 750w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 15
Yes, because repeated epeen gankfests are very "realist." Some people look for different things in videogames, a difficult concept, I know, that not everyone wants what you want, but that's how it is. To say WoW or AoC are whoring because they provide something that is appealing to a larger audience is stupid. It's the reason games like WoW and AoC are out, and Darkfall has been "coming soon" for 10 years. Maybe it was "lost" for a reason.

Its funny how much the people who hate WoW, feel compelled to talk about it.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrowfool View Post
Yes, because repeated epeen gankfests are very "realist." Some people look for different things in videogames, a difficult concept, I know, that not everyone wants what you want, but that's how it is. To say WoW or AoC are whoring because they provide something that is appealing to a larger audience is stupid. It's the reason games like WoW and AoC are out, and Darkfall has been "coming soon" for 10 years. Maybe it was "lost" for a reason.

Its funny how much the people who hate WoW, feel compelled to talk about it.
How does a gankfest have anything to do with realism? If you made a game mirroring real life there would be many "gankers" as well.
I understand what you are trying to say by it being a gank fest and not everyone likes that. However, your point of gank fest = non-realism is moot.

I never said everyone wants what I want. I didn't go in threads for other games and promote DF. I made a thread solely about DF. If you don't like it move along.

You appear to be the guy that likes every thing "trendy". I assume you like everything that's on the radio and everything that has marketing companies spending lots of $$ to make $$ off you (There is absolutlely nothing wrong with that, it's just a difference in opinion)? That is all WoW and AoC are. They are games engineered to suck people in and they do a great job.

I had fun on WoW and on AoC. After playing I don't like the games for what they are but I know why they make their money.

I don't like the grinding for hours and hours just to get gear and level up only to pay G to redo my skills(Characteristics of WoW0. I don't care for combat systems that don't take much skill(AoC). I don't like games that are made for a younger audience. That's why I like DF. That's what many other people and I like.


It's funny to me that you correlate people that hate WoW and Aoc being the only ones that talk about it. Maybe you are tuned out from reality but AoC and WoW are the biggest MMO's around and since everyone knows them they are spoken about very often by the fanboys and haters alike.

I don't hate ether game. They just aren't my cup of tea.

Are you what us "Epeen Gankers!!" view as a Carebear?
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 6400+ BE M2N-SLI Delux EVGA 8600GT 2GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveOSPower
Raptor 150GB, WD 200GB Windows XP Thermaltake 750w 
  hide details  
Reply
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 6400+ BE M2N-SLI Delux EVGA 8600GT 2GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveOSPower
Raptor 150GB, WD 200GB Windows XP Thermaltake 750w 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineSky View Post

You sure do write long paragraphs to make very simple points, I mean why make such a long analogy on a topic so simple…..I suppose I would understand if I had shown a lack of intelligence in my writing but I don’t see it. Ehh, maybe my writing is worse then I thought.
You do this as well. Here you make a thread asking for a discussion on DF and yet you attack everyone who disagrees with you. That to me sounds very carebare like. Someone who cries and complains when things don't go their way.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690k msi z97 gaming 5 evga 980 ti G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
samsung 950 HP dual layer Windows 7 64 27 dell ips  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 850 TX corsair 540 air G900 
Mouse Pad
generic 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4690k msi z97 gaming 5 evga 980 ti G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
samsung 950 HP dual layer Windows 7 64 27 dell ips  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 850 TX corsair 540 air G900 
Mouse Pad
generic 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › Darkfall - 2008?