Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Dailytech] Intel, AMD Court Battle Postponed Until 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Dailytech] Intel, AMD Court Battle Postponed Until 2010

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+AMD+C...ticle12006.htm

Quote:
Date was pushed back to allow more time for depositions of witnesses on both sides

Way back in 2005, AMD filed a lawsuit against Intel that alleged that the company abused its market leading position to keep competition out of the marketplace. Part of the AMD allegations claim that Intel offered free products and large discounts to keep computer makers from using AMD processors.
Since the suit was filed in 2005 not much has been done in court other that delay after delay in actually bringing the case to trial. This week, the federal antitrust case against Intel was again postponed from its April 2009 day in court to a new date of February 2010.

EWeek reports that this is the second major delay in the case. The last major delay came in 2007 when Intel announced that it had erased documents and emails relating to the case. Intel maintains that it did not erase any important documents relating to the trial.

DailyTech reported in May 2008 that new documents in the case had been presented to detail AMDs complaints against Intel. At the time it was also reported that documents filed in the case had already exceeded 150 million pages and attorneys for both AMD and Intel still claim to have many more witnesses to depose.

Intel has had an up and down week; on June 5th it was fined $25 million in a South Korean antitrust case that found Intel had provided illegal rebates and discounts to keep computer makers from buying processors from AMD. However, the company drew amazement from many when early Nehalem benchmarks were revealed.
Sucks for AMD since they're going to have to keep struggling financially. So does Intel get away with destroying evidence? Isn't it illegal to destroy evidence? Doesn't that make them automatically guilty?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 5000+ BE Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+ Integrated HD3200 2x2GB OCZ DDR2 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Maxtor 40GB Samsung 2220WM 22" Antec Neo HE 550W Ultra Wizard 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 5000+ BE Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+ Integrated HD3200 2x2GB OCZ DDR2 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Maxtor 40GB Samsung 2220WM 22" Antec Neo HE 550W Ultra Wizard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Intel has had an up and down week; on June 5th it was fined $25 million in a South Korean antitrust case that found Intel had provided illegal rebates and discounts to keep computer makers from buying processors from AMD
Good job Koreans!!!

but,, what kind of illegal rebates? I don't really get it.
Rebates that don't work?
Edited by jpark59 - 6/7/08 at 5:27pm
HoN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E5300 @ 3.6GHz G31-M7G DVI 4850 512MB 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB DVDRW Windows 7 S2309W 
PowerMouseMouse Pad
500W Logitech G9 Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
HoN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E5300 @ 3.6GHz G31-M7G DVI 4850 512MB 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB DVDRW Windows 7 S2309W 
PowerMouseMouse Pad
500W Logitech G9 Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
"documents related to the case" does not equal "evidence". Thus, no real issue here. Plus, it isn't stated that Intel destroyed those documents after the case was filed.

"illegal rebates" that put the cost of an Intel part way below cost, which in many countries is illegal.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.8 GHz DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R eVGA 8400GS 2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 (single stick) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD SATA None Windows XP Pro 32-bit HP Pavilion f1703 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
N/A Corsair HX520 Coolermaster Cavalier N/A 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 @ 3.8 GHz DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R eVGA 8400GS 2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 (single stick) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250GB WD SATA None Windows XP Pro 32-bit HP Pavilion f1703 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
N/A Corsair HX520 Coolermaster Cavalier N/A 
Mouse Pad
N/A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Quote:
"illegal rebates" that put the cost of an Intel part way below cost, which in many countries is illegal.
Thanks for the clear explanation!

I guess AMD is basically claims that Intel uses cheap marketing scheme..
HoN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E5300 @ 3.6GHz G31-M7G DVI 4850 512MB 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB DVDRW Windows 7 S2309W 
PowerMouseMouse Pad
500W Logitech G9 Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
HoN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E5300 @ 3.6GHz G31-M7G DVI 4850 512MB 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB DVDRW Windows 7 S2309W 
PowerMouseMouse Pad
500W Logitech G9 Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark59 View Post
Good job Koreans!!!

but,, what kind of illegal rebates? I don't really get it.
Rebates that don't work?
rebates that are done in such a way that should the OEM decide to get ANYTHING from AMD(even if AMD gave them the chips for free) it'd end up costing them more than if they went exclusively or almost exclusively with intel.
R7 1700
(21 items)
 
Phenom II BE
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700 ASUS Prime b350-a/CSM GTX 970 32GB @2666MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
MyDigitalSSD PBX Western Digital Cavier Green 3TB HDD Corsair H100 Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition  
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition  Windows 10 x64 Dell u2711 Dell u2711 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell u2711 Shap Aquos 50" HDTV Das Keyboard Mechanical Keyboard - Silent Edition Corsair HX650W 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Carbide 300r Razer Death Adder Klipsch promedia 2.1 Sennheiser HD800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 720be Gigabyte ud4p 4870 512mb 4GB (2*2GB) Super talent micron d9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80GB Intel x25-m + 640GB WD cavier Lite On DVD burner Windows 7 Dell 2005 FPW & Dell e207wfp 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitch Ultra X Corsair TX 750W Lianli PCV-1000II Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
R7 1700
(21 items)
 
Phenom II BE
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700 ASUS Prime b350-a/CSM GTX 970 32GB @2666MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
MyDigitalSSD PBX Western Digital Cavier Green 3TB HDD Corsair H100 Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition  
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition  Windows 10 x64 Dell u2711 Dell u2711 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell u2711 Shap Aquos 50" HDTV Das Keyboard Mechanical Keyboard - Silent Edition Corsair HX650W 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Carbide 300r Razer Death Adder Klipsch promedia 2.1 Sennheiser HD800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 720be Gigabyte ud4p 4870 512mb 4GB (2*2GB) Super talent micron d9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80GB Intel x25-m + 640GB WD cavier Lite On DVD burner Windows 7 Dell 2005 FPW & Dell e207wfp 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitch Ultra X Corsair TX 750W Lianli PCV-1000II Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetos316 View Post
Sucks for AMD since they're going to have to keep struggling financially. So does Intel get away with destroying evidence? Isn't it illegal to destroy evidence? Doesn't that make them automatically guilty?
Yep destruction of evidence has some heavy penalties. However AMD has to somehow prove it.

I'm growing tired of how in other countries Intel is getting declared guilty left and right but in America is delay after delay since AMD can't seem to find enough evidence. What makes it any different here is what i'm saying. I'm not saying they should just declare them guilty because other countries have. But, i want to know what proof is good enough in other countries but not here.
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozart View Post
"illegal rebates" that put the cost of an Intel part way below cost, which in many countries is illegal.
Almost, but not quite. Intel was offering these "illegal rebates" to companies in exchange for those companies not to buy AMD's products. Thats what made them illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht
I'm growing tired of how in other countries Intel is getting declared guilty left and right but in America is delay after delay since AMD can't seem to find enough evidence. What makes it any different here is what i'm saying. I'm not saying they should just declare them guilty because other countries have. But, i want to know what proof is good enough in other countries but not here.
The US just opened their FTC antitrust investigations into Intel. Apparently there had been calls for a long time to investigate Intel, but the only thing stopping it was the former head of the FTC. Now that he is gone the investigation is proceeding.
Edited by The Bartender Paradox - 6/8/08 at 12:38am
½
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A64 3500+ Winchester DFI nF4 SLi-DR EVGA 7800GT OCZ 4000VX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Maxtor 300Gb 16Mb Buffer Spinney one XP Pro SOYO LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Broken Somewhat OCZ PowerStream 520W None Old 
Mouse Pad
Pad? AHAAHAHAH 
  hide details  
Reply
½
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A64 3500+ Winchester DFI nF4 SLi-DR EVGA 7800GT OCZ 4000VX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Maxtor 300Gb 16Mb Buffer Spinney one XP Pro SOYO LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Broken Somewhat OCZ PowerStream 520W None Old 
Mouse Pad
Pad? AHAAHAHAH 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark59 View Post
Thanks for the clear explanation!

I guess AMD is basically claims that Intel uses cheap marketing scheme..
More to it than just that....

Its been alleged and proven in other countries that Intel was threatening to with hold product development to PC makers that purchased AMD CPUs which would set back product development to the PC makers 6-7 months greatly effecting there ability to bring products and greatly hurt there profitability.

So...
1. Undercutting prices and overpricing retail units to make up the losses.
2. Threatening to with hold product development data to those who used AMD CPU.


you say, go find it yourself, its out there! (Not directed to the member I replied to but to whom it may concern)
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 965 ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 9800GTx2 2x2G OCZ Reapers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500G WD Black LiteOn CD/DVD R/W Win7 64 22'' ws Acer AL2223W 
KeyboardPowerMouse
MS KU462 Natural SS DA750 MS 5 button 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 965 ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 9800GTx2 2x2G OCZ Reapers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500G WD Black LiteOn CD/DVD R/W Win7 64 22'' ws Acer AL2223W 
KeyboardPowerMouse
MS KU462 Natural SS DA750 MS 5 button 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Dailytech] Intel, AMD Court Battle Postponed Until 2010