Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Upgrade my headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrade my headphones - Page 2

post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipp View Post
Now you've gone beyond my knowledge - Namrac is our resident fountain of info for all things DT770, though. I'm sure he'll chime in again.
It depends on the version. The 80 ohm model was driven brilliantly by my Headfive, the 600 ohm was not. The 80 ohm is probably the best choice for most users, and a low price, high quality tube or solid state amp (LD MKII, Meier Headsix/XXS, Headfive/Arietta, etc, would be a great choice.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitmusic View Post
Which amp do you think would match up well with a pair of DT770s?
All the Amp is gonna do for the DT770s is gonna make the Bass overpowering.

Its not really what you called a balanced sound its too colored.

However the Corda Areitta is a good choice.

But then again the DT770s without a amp is pretty bad !
Edited by Benny99 - 6/10/08 at 8:23am
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny99 View Post
All the Amp is gonna do for the DT770s is gonna make the Bass overpowering.

Its not really what you called a balanced sound its too colored.

The Corda Areitta is a good choice.
Benny, as valid as your opinion certainly is, going in and bashing the DT770s in every thread they're mentioned is not helping anyone. Just because you didn't care for their sound signature doesn't mean no one else will.

Providing the DT770s with proper amplification generally cleans up the bass considerably, which, while obviously being too much for some tastes, is much, much better than when unamped. Mids are brought forward and the highs settle down quite a bit.
post #14 of 25
Namrac has learned a lot very quickly. Soloz2 also uses DT770s, or used to. Maybe he'll see this thread.

And as far as not being able to buy headphones on Newegg, they have very few I would call Audiophile grade, other than the high end Sennheisers that they carry.

Some DT770s would be great, albeit expensive. I like my Audiotechnica A900s a LOT, and they are great for isolation, and sound quality. However, the A900s are discontinued, so they're kind of hard to find now. If you thought those Bose headphones sounded good, just wait until you get a high end pair from one of the lesser-known audiophile companies, and you will be blown away. For some low-resistance headphones (my A900s included) they will sound great without an amp. However, adding an amp will really make higher-resistance headphones sound amazing. If the DT770s are too expensive for you (and I wouldn't blame you if they were) you could look into some DT660s. Also, I have heard a lot of good things about AKG's K181DJ cans, but have no personal experience.

Best of luck in your newfound love of hi-fi audio.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.7GHz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 @ 2050 MHz 32GB G Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel 600p m.2 512GB Crucial M500 SSD 960GB Toshiba X300 HDD 3TB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Cooler Master Nepton 240m Windows 10 Pro Samsung 34" Curved Ultrawide (3440x1440) Samsung 22" Portrait (1080x1920) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Poker II Cherry MX Brown, KBParadise V80 Cherry... EVGA G2 650W Cooler Master Silencio 652s Steelseries Sensei Wireless 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Tekmat SIG 556 SMSL Q5 Pro DAC Bowers & Wilkins DM601 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.7GHz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 @ 2050 MHz 32GB G Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel 600p m.2 512GB Crucial M500 SSD 960GB Toshiba X300 HDD 3TB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Cooler Master Nepton 240m Windows 10 Pro Samsung 34" Curved Ultrawide (3440x1440) Samsung 22" Portrait (1080x1920) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Poker II Cherry MX Brown, KBParadise V80 Cherry... EVGA G2 650W Cooler Master Silencio 652s Steelseries Sensei Wireless 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Tekmat SIG 556 SMSL Q5 Pro DAC Bowers & Wilkins DM601 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p View Post
Namrac has learned a lot very quickly. Soloz2 also uses DT770s, or used to. Maybe he'll see this thread.

And as far as not being able to buy headphones on Newegg, they have very few I would call Audiophile grade, other than the high end Sennheisers that they carry.

Some DT770s would be great, albeit expensive. I like my Audiotechnica A900s a LOT, and they are great for isolation, and sound quality. However, the A900s are discontinued, so they're kind of hard to find now. If you thought those Bose headphones sounded good, just wait until you get a high end pair from one of the lesser-known audiophile companies, and you will be blown away. For some low-resistance headphones (my A900s included) they will sound great without an amp. However, adding an amp will really make higher-resistance headphones sound amazing. If the DT770s are too expensive for you (and I wouldn't blame you if they were) you could look into some DT660s. Also, I have heard a lot of good things about AKG's K181DJ cans, but have no personal experience.

Best of luck in your newfound love of hi-fi audio.
Again, price really depends on the version. You can pick up 80 ohms for around $120 if you're willing to buy used, maybe $140-150 new. Other versions typically cost more, but if you keep an eye out you can find a good deal.
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrac View Post
Benny, as valid as your opinion certainly is, going in and bashing the DT770s in every thread they're mentioned is not helping anyone. Just because you didn't care for their sound signature doesn't mean no one else will.

Providing the DT770s with proper amplification generally cleans up the bass considerably, which, while obviously being too much for some tastes, is much, much better than when unamped. Mids are brought forward and the highs settle down quite a bit.
How is it bashing ?

Its made that way and some people enjoy it.

Im just pointing out what a Amp does to these headphones.

The bass does get cleaned up with a Amp i do agree but its still overpowering.

The Mids are still reccesed even with proper amplification as they are made that way.

The only reason to have the DT770 is too have a Sub attached to your head thats about it.
Edited by Benny99 - 6/10/08 at 8:32am
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny99 View Post
How is it bashing ?

Its made that way and some people enjoy it.

Im just pointing out what a Amp does to these headphones.

The bass does get cleaned up with a Amp i do agree but its still overpowering.
Then say something along the lines of "too my ears", or "in my opinion". Stating basically anything other than prices in audio as fact is bound to lead to trouble.
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrac View Post
Then say something along the lines of "too my ears", or "in my opinion". Stating basically anything other than prices in audio as fact is bound to lead to trouble.
Haha

I wonder why you changed from the DT770 then

Maybe for all the reasons stated above ?
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny99 View Post
Haha

I wonder why you changed from the DT770 then

Maybe for all the reasons stated above ?
My headfive couldn't handle the load and I wasn't ready to dump that much money into a new amp for a headphone that doesn't scale particularly well. I loved the sound from my 80's. The bass went deeper than I could have imagined, and wasn't overpowering for me most of the time. My tastes have shifted a bit since I first got the DT770s, but I still love 'em.
post #20 of 25
I have noticed that my A900s sound amazing for almost everything, but on Underoath's "Define the Great Line" CD, the bass gets a bit muddled. I'm not sure if it's just the way the CD was mastered (I assume, since everything else sounds fine) but other than that particular CD, my Audiotechnicas do everything pretty well, especially gaming and electronic stuff.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.7GHz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 @ 2050 MHz 32GB G Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel 600p m.2 512GB Crucial M500 SSD 960GB Toshiba X300 HDD 3TB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Cooler Master Nepton 240m Windows 10 Pro Samsung 34" Curved Ultrawide (3440x1440) Samsung 22" Portrait (1080x1920) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Poker II Cherry MX Brown, KBParadise V80 Cherry... EVGA G2 650W Cooler Master Silencio 652s Steelseries Sensei Wireless 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Tekmat SIG 556 SMSL Q5 Pro DAC Bowers & Wilkins DM601 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k @ 4.7GHz Asus Z97 Pro Gaming EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 @ 2050 MHz 32GB G Skill Sniper DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel 600p m.2 512GB Crucial M500 SSD 960GB Toshiba X300 HDD 3TB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Cooler Master Nepton 240m Windows 10 Pro Samsung 34" Curved Ultrawide (3440x1440) Samsung 22" Portrait (1080x1920) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Poker II Cherry MX Brown, KBParadise V80 Cherry... EVGA G2 650W Cooler Master Silencio 652s Steelseries Sensei Wireless 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Tekmat SIG 556 SMSL Q5 Pro DAC Bowers & Wilkins DM601 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Upgrade my headphones