New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vista or XP? - Page 7

post #61 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
The foundation on which you are supporting your argument is flawed and moot. I never claimed the issues were user derived.

XP x64 had the misfortune of being the first real 64-bit workstation OS that MS released, and as such, for a good while after it was launched, the driver and application support was quite poor. However, after SP1 was released for XP x64 (and FYI, XP x64 SP1 is newer than XP SP2, and contains all the fixes and enhancements and then some), support slowly started to increase, at a rate that gradually got faster.

Unfortunately, most PC enthusiasts already had the sour taste of no driver and/or application support in their mouths', and had falsely attributed it to XP x64 sucking hard. And more unfortunate, is that the effects of that first sour aftertaste are still being felt today, which is easily observed through the blind hostility most people regard XP x64 with, even people that have never used it, but just heard from others who heard from others who heard from others that it sucked.

Today, XP x64 SP2 is an extremely mature OS, with just as much (if not more) driver support for hardware as Vista 64 has, and all applications work perfectly.

Vista 64's popularity is only riding on the fact that it was Microsoft's second 64-bit mainstream workstation OS, and many of the kinks present with the first release of XP x64 were ironed out due to 64-bit support being much more widespread because of XP x64... even though most people still hold nothing but contempt for it.

XP x64 is every bit as good as Vista 64, and in many ways, even better.

As my closing, I will restate my three initial questions.

1. Can any of you provide specific examples (manufacturer and model number) of hardware that has driver support in Vista 64, but does not have driver support in XP x64?

2. How many of you have even used XP x64?

3. If you have used XP x64, please try and provide a timeframe of when you used it, being as specific as possible. The hardware configuration you used it with, and the hardware and software that did not work, but does work in Vista 64, would also be good information.

I find it ironic that my prediction of how this thread would play out in Post #11 held true for the most part.
OK, I never said anything about you, so not sure why you all of a sudden feel thje need to quote me and defend yourself. let me try to make it easier:


I had a hard time getting XP x64 to work well for me. I had an easy time getting Vista x64 to work well for me.

Regardless of the other reasons of why the previous is true, that alone is good enough for me. I am sure someone like yourself has the ability to get it working properly. Think of it as a car. Do you prerfer an automatic or a standard? I could argue all day long that a standard is better. If you don't know how to drive one or do not feel like shifting all the time, thats a choice you need to make. just because they are not always logical to you gives you no right to refute them.

I am honestly sick and tired of people like you that need to force their opinion on others. So you have had no issues with XP x64, great, maybe the OP doesn't want the hassle of searching for good drivers? maybe the OP wants an OS that will be supported in the next 5 years? maybe the OP wants an OS that others he knows uses, so when he has an issue or wants to know something, he can ask just about anyone instead of searching for the 3 people that still use XP x64? Maybe he wants Vista if only because it is newer?

Sorry for the rant, but give it up. Offer your opinion and move along. there is no reason to constantly troll for people to argue OS's with.
Current
(3 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphics
i5 6600k MSI Z170-A Pro RX-480 
  hide details  
Reply
Current
(3 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphics
i5 6600k MSI Z170-A Pro RX-480 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 91
dralb, I may have been mistaken in sounding defensive in response to your post. In formulating my next collective response, I would request that you please provide the information of the timeframe in which you tried to use XP x64.
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
dralb, I may have been mistaken in sounding defensive in response to your post. In formulating my next collective response, I would request that you please provide the information of the timeframe in which you tried to use XP x64.
are you gonna respond to me in your next collective response?
post #64 of 91
Vista 64bit. Can't go wrong.
post #65 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner340 View Post
are you gonna respond to me in your next collective response?
I'll just respond now. Who cares if it's an OEM license?
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
Fermi
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 Asus Rampage II Gene BFG GTX280 OCX 12GB DDR3 1600 
OSPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Corsair VX550 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
I'll just respond now. Who cares if it's an OEM license?
No-one does. But the fact remains you haven't given us any reasons why we should go backward to an older OS that doesn't have as many features. You stated before you think XP x64 is "better" than Vista. Why?

PS: I have a better idea. I think you're just an angst fan boy.
post #67 of 91
Assuming your building a fairly decent system Vista is an easy choice. Sure XP may benchmark slightly higher but a new system isn't going to have any problems with any dx9 games and some of the dx10 graphics are a huge upgrade.

Basically if you want a few hundred points on a benchmark go XP, if you want all the latest and greatest effects in your game go Vista.
SDC - PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.3 XFX 680i LT SLI 8800 GT ZOTAC AMP! Edition 8 GB Corsair TWINX PC6400 DDR2 @ 933 and 5-4-4-10 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
250 GB Seagate Barracuda 20x DVD Burner Vista Home Premium 64bit CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 750-Watt 
Case
CM690 
  hide details  
Reply
SDC - PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.3 XFX 680i LT SLI 8800 GT ZOTAC AMP! Edition 8 GB Corsair TWINX PC6400 DDR2 @ 933 and 5-4-4-10 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
250 GB Seagate Barracuda 20x DVD Burner Vista Home Premium 64bit CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 750-Watt 
Case
CM690 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Assuming your building a fairly decent system Vista is an easy choice. Sure XP may benchmark slightly higher but a new system isn't going to have any problems with any dx9 games and some of the dx10 graphics are a huge upgrade.

Basically if you want a few hundred points on a benchmark go XP, if you want all the latest and greatest effects in your game go Vista.
QFT

Im going vista when I get my 2 gigs of ram. in the long run it will save time and effort...
post #69 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
The foundation on which you are supporting your argument is flawed and moot. I never claimed the issues were user derived.

XP x64 had the misfortune of being the first real 64-bit workstation OS that MS released, and as such, for a good while after it was launched, the driver and application support was quite poor. However, after SP1 was released for XP x64 (and FYI, XP x64 SP1 is newer than XP SP2, and contains all the fixes and enhancements and then some), support slowly started to increase, at a rate that gradually got faster.

Unfortunately, most PC enthusiasts already had the sour taste of no driver and/or application support in their mouths', and had falsely attributed it to XP x64 sucking hard. And more unfortunate, is that the effects of that first sour aftertaste are still being felt today, which is easily observed through the blind hostility most people regard XP x64 with, even people that have never used it, but just heard from others who heard from others who heard from others that it sucked.

Today, XP x64 SP2 is an extremely mature OS, with just as much (if not more) driver support for hardware as Vista 64 has, and all applications work perfectly.

Vista 64's popularity is only riding on the fact that it was Microsoft's second 64-bit mainstream workstation OS, and many of the kinks present with the first release of XP x64 were ironed out due to 64-bit support being much more widespread because of XP x64... even though most people still hold nothing but contempt for it.

XP x64 is every bit as good as Vista 64, and in many ways, even better.

As my closing, I will restate my three initial questions.

1. Can any of you provide specific examples (manufacturer and model number) of hardware that has driver support in Vista 64, but does not have driver support in XP x64?

2. How many of you have even used XP x64?

3. If you have used XP x64, please try and provide a timeframe of when you used it, being as specific as possible. The hardware configuration you used it with, and the hardware and software that did not work, but does work in Vista 64, would also be good information.

I find it ironic that my prediction of how this thread would play out in Post #11 held true for the most part.
Like I said before. Why would you revert to an older OS when you can have a newer one with evidently better support from the word go compared to XP64. Also for your statement saying that XP64 SP2 has MORE support for hardware then Vista , Well I find that VERY hard to beleive. I do think that even MS stated at one point that Vista has the largest support for hardware so far.

Also the applications in Vista/64 work just fine. Did you only try vista when it was RC1 or something ?.

The thing is that you keep saying to people ''Have you even tried XP64?'' Well my question to you is did you even try Vista64 at all?

Also you are fond of asking for a timeframe of use so I will put the same question to you !.

If you give me an answere such as ''I have tried it since SP1 and I find it worse than XP64'' then no offence mate but your clearly off your trolly or using some kind of crippled pirated version.

Im not defending Vista here but I am stating what is the truth here and that is that XP64 is not as L33T as you make it out to be. Yeah so you get a few more 3dMARKS. Big whoop. I think most people are willing to sacrifice a few hundred points for future upgradeability and performance.

I respect the fact you love XP64...Thats awesome but some of your arguments are flawed.
post #70 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner340 View Post
are you gonna respond to me in your next collective response?
didn't respond to what i said either so it's okay


I agree with enterprise while i am not a fanboy of either. The main point we are all trying to make is that it does not make a whole lot of sense to spend the money on an operating system that is being phased out when looking for a new build. As stated before i will be using XP as long as possible because i just game on it. But for everyday usage it makes much more sense to spend the money on an operating system that will continue to be supported far into the future when compared to XP.
I'm Back
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055T @3.71 Asus M4A785TD-V EVO Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB 16 GB Corsair XMS 3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 SSD Western Digital Caviar Samsung Spinpoint Western Digital Caviar black 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony CD DVD R/WR Prolimatech Megahalems  Windows 7 x64 Samsung Smart TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hanns G POS Saitek Eclipse II Corsair 750 TX NZXT Source 210 
Mouse
Logitech G700S 
  hide details  
Reply
I'm Back
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1055T @3.71 Asus M4A785TD-V EVO Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB 16 GB Corsair XMS 3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 SSD Western Digital Caviar Samsung Spinpoint Western Digital Caviar black 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sony CD DVD R/WR Prolimatech Megahalems  Windows 7 x64 Samsung Smart TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hanns G POS Saitek Eclipse II Corsair 750 TX NZXT Source 210 
Mouse
Logitech G700S 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows