Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › 5400 RPM drive for server?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

5400 RPM drive for server? - Page 2

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
You need 8MB/s for HD video.... most HDs do at least 50MB/s conservatively.


I thought I saw a deal on a 750GB HD for $110-120 recently... a much better price/GB ratio.
Good point, there is really no reason to get a 1TB hd. The 750GB are about half the cost so you can just RAID them and get 1.5TB.
Mr. Windy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9650 Asus Maximus II Formula EVGA GTX 460 8GB OCZ 800Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x300 V-Raptor, 2x1TB WD, 2xSegate 320GB Fedora 14 2x Samsung 245BW Corsair 750TX; APC BR1500 
Case
Soldam Windy Altium FC 700 
  hide details  
Reply
Mr. Windy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9650 Asus Maximus II Formula EVGA GTX 460 8GB OCZ 800Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x300 V-Raptor, 2x1TB WD, 2xSegate 320GB Fedora 14 2x Samsung 245BW Corsair 750TX; APC BR1500 
Case
Soldam Windy Altium FC 700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
I would love to use a RAID 5 and be able to just get smaller drives, but to my knowledge Windows Home Server does not play friendly with RAID Arrays unless I am mistaken?
My 1st Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 5600+ @ 2.8GHz ASUS Crosshair eVGA 8800GTS 640MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 4GB(2X2GB) Cas 5 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB OS Drive + 500GB x4 = 1.5TB RAID 5 Lite-On SATA Burner Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit) Dual 20" Dell Widescreen's 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Antec Earthwatts 500W Thermaltake Armor Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
My 1st Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 5600+ @ 2.8GHz ASUS Crosshair eVGA 8800GTS 640MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 4GB(2X2GB) Cas 5 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB OS Drive + 500GB x4 = 1.5TB RAID 5 Lite-On SATA Burner Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit) Dual 20" Dell Widescreen's 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Antec Earthwatts 500W Thermaltake Armor Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimersnerd View Post
Good point, there is really no reason to get a 1TB hd. The 750GB are about half the cost so you can just RAID them and get 1.5TB.
He wants redundency and performance is not needed.... RAID0 does not apply here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanEE89 View Post
I would love to use a RAID 5 and be able to just get smaller drives, but to my knowledge Windows Home Server does not play friendly with RAID Arrays unless I am mistaken?
WHS plays fine with RAID arrays. However, you really don't need to. WHS already creates its own type of file redundency. If you select a folder to have duplication, WHS will make sure that it has a copy of the folder on at least two HDs. If you turn off duplication for a folder, it stops copying the folder to two or more HDs. If you're paranoid, you could do a two RAID5 to utilize the redundency of RAID5 and WHS file system.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
It does? So I could set up a RAID 5 for the WHS then? Because I do like how it has it's own form of data redundancy, but I lost some of the capacity because it is a lot like RAID 1 which means I lose half my capacity and as you know RAID 5 you lose only the size of one hard drive.
My 1st Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 5600+ @ 2.8GHz ASUS Crosshair eVGA 8800GTS 640MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 4GB(2X2GB) Cas 5 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB OS Drive + 500GB x4 = 1.5TB RAID 5 Lite-On SATA Burner Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit) Dual 20" Dell Widescreen's 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Antec Earthwatts 500W Thermaltake Armor Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
My 1st Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 5600+ @ 2.8GHz ASUS Crosshair eVGA 8800GTS 640MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 4GB(2X2GB) Cas 5 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB OS Drive + 500GB x4 = 1.5TB RAID 5 Lite-On SATA Burner Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit) Dual 20" Dell Widescreen's 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Antec Earthwatts 500W Thermaltake Armor Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanEE89 View Post
It does? So I could set up a RAID 5 for the WHS then? Because I do like how it has it's own form of data redundancy, but I lost some of the capacity because it is a lot like RAID 1 which means I lose half my capacity and as you know RAID 5 you lose only the size of one hard drive.
It's not RAID1 though. WHS dynamically increases HD usage for backup when needed. The issue with RAID5 is that it can't easily be expandable. If you ever want to add more HD space, you have to make back up and reinstall/image. With WHS, you just plug in a new HD and add it to the storage pool.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 17
If you want the best Cost/gigabyte ratio then you should go for RAID5.

Windows also does not have any idea which drive is a RAID array unless you do a software raid through windows itself (which is a bad idea to begin with). It will see the entire array as a single hard drive, so don't worry.

And a 5400RPM drive is definitely enough. It will do between 42 and 80 mb/s, and when you use RAID5 it goes even higher.
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
It's not RAID1 though. WHS dynamically increases HD usage for backup when needed. The issue with RAID5 is that it can't easily be expandable. If you ever want to add more HD space, you have to make back up and reinstall/image. With WHS, you just plug in a new HD and add it to the storage pool.
I totally forgot about RAID 5 making it a pain to expand capacity later on. What do you mean when you say WHS dynamically increases HD usage for backup when needed?

Are you basically talking about how you can specifically select what you want back up with the data redundancy? Because if I put anything onto the WHS I will be sure to make it redundant. Also are you able to make the OS redundant, incase the HDD that WHS is installed on dies you won't have to reinstall and everything?
My 1st Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 5600+ @ 2.8GHz ASUS Crosshair eVGA 8800GTS 640MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 4GB(2X2GB) Cas 5 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB OS Drive + 500GB x4 = 1.5TB RAID 5 Lite-On SATA Burner Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit) Dual 20" Dell Widescreen's 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Antec Earthwatts 500W Thermaltake Armor Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
My 1st Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 5600+ @ 2.8GHz ASUS Crosshair eVGA 8800GTS 640MB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 4GB(2X2GB) Cas 5 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB OS Drive + 500GB x4 = 1.5TB RAID 5 Lite-On SATA Burner Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit) Dual 20" Dell Widescreen's 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Antec Earthwatts 500W Thermaltake Armor Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
None 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › 5400 RPM drive for server?