Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [GT] House Passes PRO IP Act
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GT] House Passes PRO IP Act - Page 12

post #111 of 136


I like where this is going.
post #112 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by leakyfaucet View Post
You're right. It's not. But the conclusion you reached based on the comparison is an example of this fallacy. Please do not ask me to explain this to you.
I'm not trying to get around your point, I'm simply exposing that your argument is invalid. You are the one trying to divert attention away from the fact that your entire argument is based on a fallacy.
What conclusion have I reached falls under that fallacy, and why? It's nice that declare "fallacy!", but your means of interpreting the fallacy itself is your problem. You're attaching it to a situation where it doesn't apply. The fact that piracy can be stealing does not fall under said fallacy. That argument is not invalid.

Saying Piracy is not stealing is too simplistic. That implies under no circumstances can one commit piracy and not be stealing. There is the fault in logic.

I'll try to explain it to you through example. Take the expression "killing is not murder". That statement implies, under no circumstances, can one kill and be committing murder. Killing can be murder, in the same fashion piracy can be theft (stealing). Understand now? Where is your fallacy in that?
Edited by Choggs396 - 6/13/08 at 10:44pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #113 of 136
chip in and buy an island call "torrent" island.

this is lame...they're gonna come into my house and scan all the barcodes on all the items i own just to make sure i didn't steal them?

forgot to mention, most songs these days suck anyway no wonder people don't wanna pay $$ for the albums. Who the hell wanna pay $20 for an album and only listens to like 1-2 songs... i dont know about you guys, but downloading music is like the same thing I'll do...

if the music industries/singers so afraid of people pirating their songs then just stop singing or @ least come up with more good songs per album
Edited by Fearless - 6/13/08 at 10:51pm
FX 8320 STOCK
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 stock Biostar TA970 ATi 4870 X2 16G GSkill Ripjaws ddr1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB WD Black + 500 Seagate Sony DVD burner, Samsung CD burner windows 7 ultimate X64 IPS LG 23" LED+ 24" Samsung WS LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Multimedia 800W Visiontek Gold Full ATX MX518-2nd one :( 
Mouse Pad
12"x18" 
  hide details  
Reply
FX 8320 STOCK
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 stock Biostar TA970 ATi 4870 X2 16G GSkill Ripjaws ddr1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB WD Black + 500 Seagate Sony DVD burner, Samsung CD burner windows 7 ultimate X64 IPS LG 23" LED+ 24" Samsung WS LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Multimedia 800W Visiontek Gold Full ATX MX518-2nd one :( 
Mouse Pad
12"x18" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #114 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris4ka View Post
The obvious solution to this is to stop downloading music and start shoplifting CD's.
yeah.. at least we know we don't get fine $30G+ if got caught..
FX 8320 STOCK
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 stock Biostar TA970 ATi 4870 X2 16G GSkill Ripjaws ddr1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB WD Black + 500 Seagate Sony DVD burner, Samsung CD burner windows 7 ultimate X64 IPS LG 23" LED+ 24" Samsung WS LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Multimedia 800W Visiontek Gold Full ATX MX518-2nd one :( 
Mouse Pad
12"x18" 
  hide details  
Reply
FX 8320 STOCK
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 stock Biostar TA970 ATi 4870 X2 16G GSkill Ripjaws ddr1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 TB WD Black + 500 Seagate Sony DVD burner, Samsung CD burner windows 7 ultimate X64 IPS LG 23" LED+ 24" Samsung WS LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Multimedia 800W Visiontek Gold Full ATX MX518-2nd one :( 
Mouse Pad
12"x18" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #115 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
What conclusion have I reached falls under that fallacy, and why? It's nice that declare "fallacy!", but your means of interpreting the fallacy itself is your problem. You're attaching it to a situation where it doesn't apply. The fact that piracy can be stealing does not fall under said fallacy. That argument is not invalid.
Wow, you really are thick. I see that the concept of fallacy is a bit too abstract for you so I'll help you out with this one. I have broken down your own argument for you:

You make the argument that piracy can be a form of stealing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
Piracy can be, and quite often is, stealing (or theft).
You support this argument with another claim that stealing can be a form of piracy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
If you steal someones work or Intellectual Property, would that not be an "unauthorized use" (piracy)?
You have a made a divisional fallacy. Can you see the difference between your two claims? Do you realize that stealing can be a form of piracy without piracy being a form of stealing? If not, I'm done here.
Way too expensive
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 4.27GHz 24/7 EP45-DS3L HD4850 GSKill 1000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
640Gig WD Vista Ultimate 32bit Samsung 22" Widescreen 650W Corsair 
Case
Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
Way too expensive
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 4.27GHz 24/7 EP45-DS3L HD4850 GSKill 1000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
640Gig WD Vista Ultimate 32bit Samsung 22" Widescreen 650W Corsair 
Case
Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #116 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by leakyfaucet View Post
Wow, you really are thick. I see that the concept of fallacy is a bit too abstract for you so I'll help you out with this one. I have broken down your own argument for you:

You make the argument that piracy can be a form of stealing:

You support this argument with another claim that stealing can be a form of piracy:
You have a made a divisional fallacy. Can you see the difference between your two claims? Do you realize that stealing can be a form of piracy without piracy being a form of stealing? If not, I'm done here.
How are either one of these claims incorrect, specifically? EDIT: How can one claim and one question negate each other through a fallacy?

Quote:
Piracy can be, and quite often is, stealing (or theft).
Quote:
If you steal someones work or Intellectual Property, would that not be an "unauthorized use" (piracy)?
Your idea these two statements (one actually being a question) somehow negate each other due to your inapt connection to a fallacy is not logical.
Edited by Choggs396 - 6/13/08 at 11:27pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #117 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
How are either one of these claims incorrect, specifically?
Dear lord. The first claim, which I believe is your main argument, is not correct. I don't have to prove that it is incorrect because you have not been able to prove it is correct in the first place. Your only support for the claim was invalid. You really don't understand this, do you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
Your idea these two statements (one actually being a question) somehow negate each other due to your inapt connection to a fallacy is not logical.
They don't negate each other at all, and I never claimed that. I'll explain this one last time:

YOUR LATTER CLAIM IS NOT A VALID SUPPORT FOR THE FORMER

I'm done here. You have no concept of argument, proof, or logic for that matter. Goodbye.
Edited by leakyfaucet - 6/13/08 at 11:28pm
Way too expensive
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 4.27GHz 24/7 EP45-DS3L HD4850 GSKill 1000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
640Gig WD Vista Ultimate 32bit Samsung 22" Widescreen 650W Corsair 
Case
Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
Way too expensive
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 4.27GHz 24/7 EP45-DS3L HD4850 GSKill 1000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
640Gig WD Vista Ultimate 32bit Samsung 22" Widescreen 650W Corsair 
Case
Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #118 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by leakyfaucet View Post
Dear lord. The first claim, which I believe is your main argument, is not correct. I don't have to prove that it is incorrect because you have not been able to prove it is correct in the first place. Your only support for the claim was invalid. You really don't understand this, do you?
I'm thinking you don't. As your reply is merely "it's incorrect", without explaining why. Why is the first claim invalid? And why is the question below it not apt?
Edited by Choggs396 - 6/13/08 at 11:30pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #119 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
I'm thinking you don't. As your reply is merely "it's incorrect", without explaining why. Why is the first claim invalid? And why is the question below it not apt?
I count four posts of mine attempting to explain to you why your argument is invalid. You seem incapable of any complex abstract thought and I am not willing to spend any more effort on teaching you something you should have learning in high school. Seriously, I'm finished here.
Edited by leakyfaucet - 6/13/08 at 11:36pm
Way too expensive
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 4.27GHz 24/7 EP45-DS3L HD4850 GSKill 1000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
640Gig WD Vista Ultimate 32bit Samsung 22" Widescreen 650W Corsair 
Case
Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
Way too expensive
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 4.27GHz 24/7 EP45-DS3L HD4850 GSKill 1000 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
640Gig WD Vista Ultimate 32bit Samsung 22" Widescreen 650W Corsair 
Case
Antec 300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #120 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by leakyfaucet View Post
I count four posts of mine attempting to explain to you why your argument is invalid. You seem incapable of any complex abstract thought and I am not willing to spend any more effort on teaching you something you should have learning in high school. Seriously, I'm finished here.
What I think you aren't understanding is this:

What you deem to be nonsupporting evidence (which was actually just a mere question), somehow negates the original claim through a logical fallacy which subsequently doesn't apply. That is the flaw in your illogical argument.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [GT] House Passes PRO IP Act