Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Lapped my true *Considering CPU and a few other questions*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lapped my true *Considering CPU and a few other questions*

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
EDITED* SEE THE LAST POST. Need help on a few questions*


*Old Post*
At work so will forget some details. But I was one click under 1.3V and was having idles of 37/37 - 38/38. Then after the lapping the idles were 37/34(I think core0 sensor can't go below 37 now, i guess i could undervolt/underclock to test it). Load temps went from 56-58 to 47-50. Before lapping I always noticed AS5 wouldn't spread to one side using the line method. Now it is spreading nicely over the cpu.

Setting it on 1.3V my load temps are up to 50-53(My house is 74-80F always so I think with better ambients my load temp would be sub 50, which is my goal)

I just need to figure out why core0 is only going to 37(is there a contact problem, or is that the lowest the sensor can read)...

I've done the penny mod also(I've heard of ppl doing 2 pennies and was thinking about it.. Any comments on the 2 penny mod?)

The last thing I could do (other than improving my AC) is lapping my cpu, which I really don't want to void my warranty on.
Edited by Cletas - 6/14/08 at 4:37pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletas View Post
At work so will forget some details. But I was one click under 1.3V and was having idles of 37/37 - 38/38. Then after the lapping the idles were 37/34(I think core0 sensor can't go below 37 now, i guess i could undervolt/underclock to test it). Load temps went from 56-58 to 47-50. Before lapping I always noticed AS5 wouldn't spread to one side using the line method. Now it is spreading nicely over the cpu.

Setting it on 1.3V my load temps are up to 50-53(My house is 74-80F always so I think with better ambients my load temp would be sub 50, which is my goal)

I just need to figure out why core0 is only going to 37(is there a contact problem, or is that the lowest the sensor can read)...

I've done the penny mod also(I've heard of ppl doing 2 pennies and was thinking about it.. Any comments on the 2 penny mod?)

The last thing I could do (other than improving my AC) is lapping my cpu, which I really don't want to void my warranty on.
If your feeling adventurous, you could always forgo the stock mounting gear and do a custom bolt through as the following images illustrate:

...





...





...





...





...

That's my own lapped true in the photos.

The mount pressure is insane.

Bends the motherboard, even with that thick arse Asus backplate.

I'm usually idling around 12 degrees over ambient so I figure it works pretty good.

BTW: you can also see that I still combined the bolt through with the washer/penny mod to give me a bit more length on the bolts.

PM me if you want some info on where to get the hardware to do the mod.

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7ghz Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Seahawk X 1080 ti 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB Samsung Evo 950 LG Blu Ray / DVD  H115i Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB270HU Logitech G710 EVGA 1000w Corsair 780T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 My girlfriends butt. Asus z170 onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7ghz Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Seahawk X 1080 ti 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB Samsung Evo 950 LG Blu Ray / DVD  H115i Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB270HU Logitech G710 EVGA 1000w Corsair 780T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 My girlfriends butt. Asus z170 onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletas View Post
At work so will forget some details. But I was one click under 1.3V and was having idles of 37/37 - 38/38. Then after the lapping the idles were 37/34(I think core0 sensor can't go below 37 now, i guess i could undervolt/underclock to test it). Load temps went from 56-58 to 47-50. Before lapping I always noticed AS5 wouldn't spread to one side using the line method. Now it is spreading nicely over the cpu.

Setting it on 1.3V my load temps are up to 50-53(My house is 74-80F always so I think with better ambients my load temp would be sub 50, which is my goal)

I just need to figure out why core0 is only going to 37(is there a contact problem, or is that the lowest the sensor can read)...

I've done the penny mod also(I've heard of ppl doing 2 pennies and was thinking about it.. Any comments on the 2 penny mod?)

The last thing I could do (other than improving my AC) is lapping my cpu, which I really don't want to void my warranty on.
How many cpu's have you RMA'ed in your lifetime? I have never had to RMA a cpu of any model since I started in the 486 days, they are quite rigorously quality controlled. If you are overclocking you have voided your warranty anyway, so i'm not sure why you're worried about lapping it.

I wouldn't worry about the temperature differences between the cores, because the physical cores inside the cpu due to their die can run at different temperatures and characteristics.

If dropping a few more degrees and ensuring a perfect mounting surface isn't "worth" it to you than nobody is going to change your mind, but if you do decide to do it, you will find the process much easier and less time consuming than doing your heatsink.
New Hotsauce
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6700 (lapped) Asus Maximus II Formula 280GTX (Step-Up) G.Skill F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
x2 Hitachi T7K250 Raid0 Vista Ultimate 64bit NEC Accusync LCD24WMCX Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone OP1000-E Silverstone TJ07 Razer Deathadder Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
New Hotsauce
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6700 (lapped) Asus Maximus II Formula 280GTX (Step-Up) G.Skill F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
x2 Hitachi T7K250 Raid0 Vista Ultimate 64bit NEC Accusync LCD24WMCX Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone OP1000-E Silverstone TJ07 Razer Deathadder Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettwerk View Post
How many cpu's have you RMA'ed in your lifetime? I have never had to RMA a cpu of any model since I started in the 486 days, they are quite rigorously quality controlled. If you are overclocking you have voided your warranty anyway, so i'm not sure why you're worried about lapping it.

I wouldn't worry about the temperature differences between the cores, because the physical cores inside the cpu due to their die can run at different temperatures and characteristics.

If dropping a few more degrees and ensuring a perfect mounting surface isn't "worth" it to you than nobody is going to change your mind, but if you do decide to do it, you will find the process much easier and less time consuming than doing your heatsink.
This is my first build so never had to rma a cpu before .... I'm not set against lapping the cpu, just undecided atm. I may wait till mid-Julyish before deciding. That way any defects should have came out and at that time it starts to get very hot in my house.

I should point out.. i was doing the razor blade test to verify it was flat. I keep having the same spot shine light through.. so i keep sanding. Then I noticed that the razor blade wasn't perfectly flat, and that moving it around resulted in the same spot on the razor blade letting light through so I assumed it was flat. I thought the razor blade I was using was unused but apparently not. Any suggestions on where(wal-mart?) and which razor blades to get? If I do decide to lap my cpu I want to be sure to get it right the first time. Also should I avoid using water when doing the cpu lapping?


EDIT* Don't want to make another thread for this**
So considering lapping my cpu, but have a few questions.
1) I used 320 600 and 1000 grit for my heatsink will this be fine for my cpu?
2) Should I avoid using water for the sandpaper?
3) Whats the best tool to test flatness(thats cheap and easy. My current razor doesn't seem flat so wanna make sure the next razor or whatever i Use is flat)
4) My technique for doing the heatsink was apply pressure pull toward me lift up sit heatsink down near top, pull toward me repeat 20 times turn then repeat until flat. Will this be fine for the cpu?
5) I was considering using Artic Cool MX-2 instead of AS5(or maybe OCZ freeze?). Would this be an improvment also?
6) I was considering replacing my ultra kaze 2000 with a ultra kaze 3000 (Would like to do #5 and this if I do one of them. Would this combo decrease my temps any?)
Edited by Cletas - 6/14/08 at 5:37pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
So considering lapping my cpu, but have a few questions.
1) I used 320 600 and 1000 grit for my heatsink will this be fine for my cpu?
2) Should I avoid using water for the sandpaper?
3) Whats the best tool to test flatness(thats cheap and easy. My current razor doesn't seem flat so wanna make sure the next razor or whatever i Use is flat)
4) My technique for doing the heatsink was apply pressure pull toward me lift up sit heatsink down near top, pull toward me repeat 20 times turn then repeat until flat. Will this be fine for the cpu?
5) I was considering using Artic Cool MX-2 instead of AS5(or maybe OCZ freeze?). Would this be an improvment also?
6) I was considering replacing my ultra kaze 2000 with a ultra kaze 3000 (Would like to do #5 and this if I do one of them. Would this combo decrease my temps any?)
1. Those should be fine, yes. Anything beyond 1000 grit would just be for cosmetic polishing purposes and doesn't affect the flatness and thermal transfer.

2. You don't need to use water, you should fine it very easy to sand dry. I like to put masking tape over the back contacts, but other people don't use anything and just clean them with 97% rubbing alcohol after they are finished.

3. Basically you will want to use the 300 grit on the cpu until all the nickel coating is completely gone and all that remains is copper. Then you can move to your 600. Using the razor blade/ruler with a flashlight is not gospel... a better way to test would to just take a sharpie and color in the surface, and when all the marker has vanished then you know it's flat.

4. There are a multitude of different techniques for sanding... what I like to do is sand in just 1 direction, I will take 10 strokes of the cpu, then rotate it 45 degrees, then do 10 more strokes, then rotate 45 degrees, 10 more strokes etc.. I will do this until i've completed a few complete 360 degree rotations then move onto the next grit.

5. I have used all 3 of those products, and I like MX-2 the best, OCZ freeze is very thick and difficult to apply and took me mounting my TRUE a few times before I got a spread that I liked the resulting output. You'll have to remember that because your cpu will be lapped, and your heatsink also lapped, it takes MUCH LESS thermal paste to fill in the microscopic gaps, and proper application of the thermal paste often will yield better temperatures by a couple to a few degrees.

6. As far as fans are concerned the more airflow you push or pull into the heatsink the better, but there will come a point of diminishing returns where the increased db level from the fans is not worth temperature decrease.
Edited by nettwerk - 6/14/08 at 6:39pm
New Hotsauce
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6700 (lapped) Asus Maximus II Formula 280GTX (Step-Up) G.Skill F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
x2 Hitachi T7K250 Raid0 Vista Ultimate 64bit NEC Accusync LCD24WMCX Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone OP1000-E Silverstone TJ07 Razer Deathadder Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
New Hotsauce
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6700 (lapped) Asus Maximus II Formula 280GTX (Step-Up) G.Skill F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
x2 Hitachi T7K250 Raid0 Vista Ultimate 64bit NEC Accusync LCD24WMCX Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone OP1000-E Silverstone TJ07 Razer Deathadder Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the reply. Think Im going to try the MX-2 and still considering the 3000(110ish cfm vs 85ish)

Will the masking tape leave a residue on the contacts?

Think I'll order the fan and MX-2 and lap my cpu when it arrives.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletas View Post
Thanks for the reply. Think Im going to try the MX-2 and still considering the 3000(110ish cfm vs 85ish)

Will the masking tape leave a residue on the contacts?

Think I'll order the fan and MX-2 and lap my cpu when it arrives.
I haven't noticed any left behind before, but cleaning it won't hurt anything if you use the rubbing alcohol + qtips, and it dries almost instantly.

I wouldn't lap it soon as you take it out of the box, make sure it boots up correctly first. If the cpu is going to be defective the highest probability will be when you first boot it up... if it works then fine it should continue to do so
New Hotsauce
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6700 (lapped) Asus Maximus II Formula 280GTX (Step-Up) G.Skill F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
x2 Hitachi T7K250 Raid0 Vista Ultimate 64bit NEC Accusync LCD24WMCX Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone OP1000-E Silverstone TJ07 Razer Deathadder Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
New Hotsauce
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6700 (lapped) Asus Maximus II Formula 280GTX (Step-Up) G.Skill F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
x2 Hitachi T7K250 Raid0 Vista Ultimate 64bit NEC Accusync LCD24WMCX Razer Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone OP1000-E Silverstone TJ07 Razer Deathadder Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Lapped my true *Considering CPU and a few other questions*