Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [WoWRiot]Age of Conan Desperate for Subscribers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[WoWRiot]Age of Conan Desperate for Subscribers - Page 11

post #101 of 111
Why are you people still renewing this fanboy thread? Let it die already.
Silence is Golden
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Wolfdale E8600 (OC 4.0GHz) GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3P Sapphire 4870 1GB 4GB G.SKILL DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
300GB Velociraptor in RAID0, 2x Hitachi 2TB BenQ 1655, Plextor 760A & Premium, Samsung S202N Windows7 Ultimate 64-bit/XP Pro SP3 Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX Lian-Li PC-V2110 Logitech MX510 
Mouse Pad
Lycra Gel 
  hide details  
Reply
Silence is Golden
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Wolfdale E8600 (OC 4.0GHz) GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3P Sapphire 4870 1GB 4GB G.SKILL DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
300GB Velociraptor in RAID0, 2x Hitachi 2TB BenQ 1655, Plextor 760A & Premium, Samsung S202N Windows7 Ultimate 64-bit/XP Pro SP3 Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX Lian-Li PC-V2110 Logitech MX510 
Mouse Pad
Lycra Gel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #102 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarySnack View Post
Second point: Attacking me personally now are we?
lol i wasn't attacking you personally, i know nothing about you. I was just asking a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarySnack View Post
Third point: If the game can keep me interested with over 2 days play time (I usually play FPS, I have a hard time sticking to an MMO), it has to have some great low lvl content. The Tortage voices and story were nice, and the quests have been interesting for me. I am not saying the quests are anything new, as they are no different from WoW's, but the way they are executed somehow makes them worthwhile to do. I think AoC does a good job of immersing the player at lower lvls.

This game is by no means perfect, and needs work. But! I am enjoying it and it has a lot of potential to grow.
Fair enough... if you enjoy role playing i suppose, and give a hoot about the story line. For me, if i want a story, i'll read a book. I think in every quest i did i just spammed "1" to get past all of the dialogue. Again, personal preference.
Blitz II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 MSI P55-GD65 GTX 660Ti 4GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
600GB (2x300GB Velociraptors RAID0) Windows 10 24" ASUS VW246H Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750HX Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 G5/DeathAdder Desk 
Audio
Yamaha H80M + HS10W 
  hide details  
Reply
Blitz II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 MSI P55-GD65 GTX 660Ti 4GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
600GB (2x300GB Velociraptors RAID0) Windows 10 24" ASUS VW246H Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750HX Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 G5/DeathAdder Desk 
Audio
Yamaha H80M + HS10W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #103 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsis View Post
Fair enough... if you enjoy role playing i suppose, and give a hoot about the story line. For me, if i want a story, i'll read a book. I think in every quest i did i just spammed "1" to get past all of the dialogue. Again, personal preference.
It's an mmoRPG, emphasis on the RPG. I think you are in the wrong genre here if you dislike RPG's.
post #104 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avareyne View Post
It's an mmoRPG, emphasis on the RPG. I think you are in the wrong genre here if you dislike RPG's.
actually the emphasis is on the "MMO." that's why a lot of people call them "MMO's."

yes it's an RPG in the sense that you play the roll of a (ex.) Cymmerian Barbarian. But when i start up TF:2 i'm playing the role of a medic.(exaggerated example, but i'm trying to get a point across) Could that be considered an RPG? Maybe, but it's certainly not an MMO.

My point is that a lot of MMO players don't really care too much for the storyline. MMO's are fun due to the idea of progression and social interaction.

MMORPG is just a term that stuck that most MMO's are referred to. (Actually, MMORPG is one of many sub types of an MMO. For example: MMOFPS, MMORTS....)

However to keep things simple, most people refer to them as "MMORPG's or MMO's"

To conclude i would like to emphasize that the emphasis is on the MMO.
Blitz II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 MSI P55-GD65 GTX 660Ti 4GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
600GB (2x300GB Velociraptors RAID0) Windows 10 24" ASUS VW246H Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750HX Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 G5/DeathAdder Desk 
Audio
Yamaha H80M + HS10W 
  hide details  
Reply
Blitz II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 MSI P55-GD65 GTX 660Ti 4GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
600GB (2x300GB Velociraptors RAID0) Windows 10 24" ASUS VW246H Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750HX Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 G5/DeathAdder Desk 
Audio
Yamaha H80M + HS10W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #105 of 111
Age of Conan is an mmoRPG, take it for what it is. If you hate RPG's then the MMO aspect shouldn't be making up for it. People who dislike RPG's don't really have any valid conclusions when it comes to this discussion as they are biased into disliking them anyways. AoC hasn't dropped the RPG genre as far as I'm aware, at least in this reality.

The emphasis is not on MMO when it comes to this game, it is RPG based, is an mmoRPG, you're just fooling yourself if you can stuff it into any game genre you please. We aren't going to wake up tomorrow and AoC is going to be an FPS or Sim game. That logic fails, hard.

Anyone who uses an mmoRPG to socialize needs to invest their 15$ a month into therapy instead.
post #106 of 111
Lore is a HUGE factor for games like conan and warhammer. The history they have in books and games before becoming a MMO mean a lot to their long time fans. Some game mechanics hinge on lore and the story.
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.1ghz Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA GTX 260 core 216 55nm 2gig x 2 G.Skill DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 250gb 7200RPM & 1TB samsung 5400 Windows 7 64bit Acer AL2216Wbd 22'' corsair 850tx 
Case
CM 690 stock 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.1ghz Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA GTX 260 core 216 55nm 2gig x 2 G.Skill DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 250gb 7200RPM & 1TB samsung 5400 Windows 7 64bit Acer AL2216Wbd 22'' corsair 850tx 
Case
CM 690 stock 
  hide details  
Reply
post #107 of 111
WoW can die
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
Nemesis NE-α
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4790k (Devil's Canyon) AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 Visiontek AMD 6990 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 XSPC Raystorm Windows 8.1 Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Dell U2311H 1920x1080 IPS Ducky Blue Overclock.net Themed Mechanical Keyb... Corsair Silver 1kw  
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH10 Logitech G502 Logitech 5.1 speakers w/ Onkyo Receiver 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon W3520 i7 4.0ghz EVGA X58 Classified Visiontek 6990 GSkill 6GB DDR3 Pi 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD ; 2x 1TB ; 2x 2TB Samsung BluRay Burner Windows 7 Ultimate 64x 3x Dell U2311H 23" 1080p IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard SilverStone Strider 1000w Modular Power Supply Lian Li V2000 Plus Logitech G9 Gaming Laser Mouse 
Mouse Pad
Cyba Sniper Tracer (Acrylic Glass) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #108 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avareyne View Post
Age of Conan is an mmoRPG, take it for what it is. If you hate RPG's then the MMO aspect shouldn't be making up for it. People who dislike RPG's don't really have any valid conclusions when it comes to this discussion as they are biased into disliking them anyways. AoC hasn't dropped the RPG genre as far as I'm aware, at least in this reality.

The emphasis is not on MMO when it comes to this game, it is RPG based, is an mmoRPG, you're just fooling yourself if you can stuff it into any game genre you please.
u obviously didn't comprehend my post above.

i'll try to put it in simpler terms for you:

If AoC was developed as a single-player RPG, it would not be as popular as it is. It would be another Mass Effect, Oblivion, etc.. Now, by adding a multiplayer layer with servers that can host thousands of players in the same 'game world,' the game becomes an MMO.

Sure it's still an RPG, but it's an MMORPG, a type of MMO; not a type of RPG.

Do you think half the U.S. would know or at least hear about "world of warcraft" if it was developed as an RPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avareyne
We aren't going to wake up tomorrow and AoC is going to be an FPS or Sim game. That logic fails, hard.
umm okay? i'm not following you. i never implied that logic.

Oh, and for the record, i don't dislike RPGs. i loved the elder scrolls series, diablo, NWN, dungeon siege...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opeth07
Lore is a HUGE factor for games like conan and warhammer. The history they have in books and games before becoming a MMO mean a lot to their long time fans. Some game mechanics hinge on lore and the story.
Lore is a tool used by developers to add content. It gives a game 'flavor'.

Why is WoW so popular? Because the warcraft books are so good? How many AoC players do u think have read conan books or comics?
Blitz II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 MSI P55-GD65 GTX 660Ti 4GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
600GB (2x300GB Velociraptors RAID0) Windows 10 24" ASUS VW246H Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750HX Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 G5/DeathAdder Desk 
Audio
Yamaha H80M + HS10W 
  hide details  
Reply
Blitz II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 MSI P55-GD65 GTX 660Ti 4GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
600GB (2x300GB Velociraptors RAID0) Windows 10 24" ASUS VW246H Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750HX Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 G5/DeathAdder Desk 
Audio
Yamaha H80M + HS10W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #109 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsis View Post
u obviously didn't comprehend my post above.

i'll try to put it in simpler terms for you:

If AoC was developed as a single-player RPG, it would not be as popular as it is. It would be another Mass Effect, Oblivion, etc.. Now, by adding a multiplayer layer with servers that can host thousands of players in the same 'game world,' the game becomes an MMO.

Sure it's still an RPG, but it's an MMORPG, a type of MMO; not a type of RPG.

Do you think half the U.S. would know or at least hear about "world of warcraft" if it was developed as an RPG?



umm okay? i'm not following you. i never implied that logic.

Oh, and for the record, i don't dislike RPGs. i loved the elder scrolls series, diablo, NWN, dungeon siege...



Lore is a tool used by developers to add content. It gives a game 'flavor'.

Why is WoW so popular? Because the warcraft books are so good? How many AoC players do u think have read conan books or comics?

I'd bet a lot of them have at least watched conan or heard of Howard's works. Whether or not lore matters to the player doesn't change the fact that design and gameplay decisions ARE impacted by lore. Therefor it's an important part of the game. Also, just as much of the lore was told through previous warcraft games anyways, and there are warcraft players that read the books. Of course it isnt the main reason for its success. I'm not claiming that it is, it's a game and it's gameplay will ultimately have the most to say about how well it does.
Edited by Opeth07 - 6/22/08 at 5:46pm
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.1ghz Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA GTX 260 core 216 55nm 2gig x 2 G.Skill DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 250gb 7200RPM & 1TB samsung 5400 Windows 7 64bit Acer AL2216Wbd 22'' corsair 850tx 
Case
CM 690 stock 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.1ghz Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA GTX 260 core 216 55nm 2gig x 2 G.Skill DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 250gb 7200RPM & 1TB samsung 5400 Windows 7 64bit Acer AL2216Wbd 22'' corsair 850tx 
Case
CM 690 stock 
  hide details  
Reply
post #110 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsis View Post
u obviously didn't comprehend my post above.
u(sic) obviously aren't comprehending my posts. I am getting yours just fine, your logic just does not work for me and most of what you say doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:

Sure it's still an RPG, but it's an MMORPG, a type of MMO; not a type of RPG.
It's still an RPG though, thus your point is moot. For example, there are RPG's without the MMO aspect (anyone like to go way back to the first FF for example?) thus MMO is just a sub of the entire genre.

Quote:

Do you think half the U.S. would know or at least hear about "world of warcraft" if it was developed as an RPG?
So the Warcraft series of games are just a figment of my imagination? Don't think so.


Quote:
umm okay? i'm not following you. i never implied that logic.
Yes, you did, you made it really very clear. You have gone to great lengths to do so.

Quote:

Lore is a tool used by developers to add content. It gives a game 'flavor'.
Uh??? No, wrong, the lore is a huge aspect of these games. Have you not ever heard of the Conan books? If you took away all the lore you'd just go around killing dudes and wolves all day. Ok, so that may be your thing, but it is highly doubtful that millions of people just want to log on and kill wolves and chat with random people.

Quote:

Why is WoW so popular? Because the warcraft books are so good? How many AoC players do u think have read conan books or comics?
I actually met a lot of people on non-RP realms who were interested in the lore. Every high end guild seemed to have their own lore guru who pretty much knew everything. Yes, it is an important aspect. There is no point in investing time into a game that you don't understand and dislike. Read: why play a game where alls you do is kill stuff for no reason? That'd be incredibly boring. Plus it would lead to a lot of people asking, "why am I killing this person and not this other person? What's the background of what I'm doing here??"

RPG's are based on lore, just because it is a multiplayer game doesn't shift it into some other genre. Age of Conan has a great storyline, if you dislike RP and lore then I could see how the game would be boring. But then you have to be sure you realize that this game isn't targeted towards you.

If you want a game where your objective is to kill whatever you see then an RPG is not for you.
Edited by Avareyne - 6/22/08 at 6:13pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [WoWRiot]Age of Conan Desperate for Subscribers