Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › 2 Fried Mobos, how did it happen?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2 Fried Mobos, how did it happen?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I believe I've fried 2 of my motherboards, since the motherboard boots up but there is no BIOS beep when I turn it on and there is no output on the monitor...

i was reading this faq at http://www.overclock.net/faqs/48925-...therboard.html and wanted to know if just using the wrong screws could fry your mobo. point 1 indicates that screwing your mobo directly to the case could fry it.... I only screwed the mobo into the brass standoffs that were connected to my case, but i did use some unconventional screws (with the dome-shaped top). I fried 2 mobos. I'm just wondering if that's the actual problem because other than that i have no idea what happened to fry the 2 mobos.

i am using

OCZ GameXStream 1010W PSU (it was very cheap, like $10 more than the 700W one)
was using P5N32E-SLI // Asus P5LD2-VM (both fried)
E2160 1.8ghz CPU (want to overclock for some fun)
OCZ 5400 DDR2 ram (recently bought OCZ PC2-8500 SLI RAM to test when my P5N-E mobo come back from RMA)
BFG 8800GT OC VGA

so I have no idea what i'm doing wrong. could anyone give me some pointers? If the screws are suspect, I may just buy a motherboard installation kit with all of the screws and washers included.
post #2 of 7
did you screw in any misplaced standoffs causing this short?
PILLS HERE!!!!!!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 D0 4.2GHZ (4.0 during spring/summer) Foxconn Blood Rage HIS 5870 @ 1.2V 1000/1250 Corsair Dominator 3x2GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Kingston 120GB 80K IOPS SSD 7 Pro x64 (3) Acer 23" 6144 x 1152 BFG EX-1000W 
Case
ABS Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
PILLS HERE!!!!!!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 D0 4.2GHZ (4.0 during spring/summer) Foxconn Blood Rage HIS 5870 @ 1.2V 1000/1250 Corsair Dominator 3x2GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Kingston 120GB 80K IOPS SSD 7 Pro x64 (3) Acer 23" 6144 x 1152 BFG EX-1000W 
Case
ABS Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RA3KW0N View Post
I believe I've fried 2 of my motherboards, since the motherboard boots up but there is no BIOS beep when I turn it on and there is no output on the monitor...

i was reading this faq at http://www.overclock.net/faqs/48925-...therboard.html and wanted to know if just using the wrong screws could fry your mobo. point 1 indicates that screwing your mobo directly to the case could fry it.... I only screwed the mobo into the brass standoffs that were connected to my case, but i did use some unconventional screws (with the dome-shaped top). I fried 2 mobos. I'm just wondering if that's the actual problem because other than that i have no idea what happened to fry the 2 mobos.

i am using

OCZ GameXStream 1010W PSU (it was very cheap, like $10 more than the 700W one)
was using P5N32E-SLI // Asus P5LD2-VM (both fried)
E2160 1.8ghz CPU (want to overclock for some fun)
OCZ 5400 DDR2 ram (recently bought OCZ PC2-8500 SLI RAM to test when my P5N-E mobo come back from RMA)
BFG 8800GT OC VGA

so I have no idea what i'm doing wrong. could anyone give me some pointers? If the screws are suspect, I may just buy a motherboard installation kit with all of the screws and washers included.
no the screws wont do anything

your mobo's miught not support the e21x0 out of the box
post #4 of 7
Generally speaking, a mobo will not have connections other than ground going very near the screws ... but if you did put a very fat screw and touched any connections in your mobo, you could have easily shorted it
Gutted
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 4GHz 1.26V Asus Rampage Formula X38 0403 2x Diamond Radeon HD3870 Crossfire G.Skill DDR2-PC8000 2x2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD Caviar 500GB RAID0 Lite-ON DVDRW Vista Ultimate x64 HP w2207 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 600W Ultra Grid 
  hide details  
Reply
Gutted
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 4GHz 1.26V Asus Rampage Formula X38 0403 2x Diamond Radeon HD3870 Crossfire G.Skill DDR2-PC8000 2x2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xWD Caviar 500GB RAID0 Lite-ON DVDRW Vista Ultimate x64 HP w2207 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 600W Ultra Grid 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
//.DK: That actually might've been a possibility. I removed all of the standoffs so I wouldn't know for sure, but definitely I will be more careful with that the next time around.

Skullzaflare: It should support the E2160 out of the box, however I also tried using a Pentium D chip and the same stuff happened.
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RA3KW0N View Post
//.DK: That actually might've been a possibility. I removed all of the standoffs so I wouldn't know for sure, but definitely I will be more careful with that the next time around.

Skullzaflare: It should support the E2160 out of the box, however I also tried using a Pentium D chip and the same stuff happened.
wait you removed the stand off's and screwed the board straight to the case? if so then the entire board fried, you NEED the standoffs, to, well, stand off
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullzaflare View Post
wait you removed the stand off's and screwed the board straight to the case? if so then the entire board fried, you NEED the standoffs, to, well, stand off
No, I had the standoffs on when I screwed in my motherboard. I'm saying that I couldn't check for DK if I had extra standoffs on that might've shorted out my mobos because I've subsequently removed then after they fried.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › 2 Fried Mobos, how did it happen?