Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Vista basic disk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vista basic disk

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Couple questions...

I got a laptop from a nearby laptop place. It originally had vista basic on it but the guy installed XP Pro on it cause it only had 512MB and didnt run very well. I have the vista key on the bottom of the laptop and now that I've upgraded the mem to one gig, I want to install Vista back on it.

Would I have to call Microsoft for a cd or is there another way? I know I could maybe find a torrent but I don't trust those.

If I were to get a torrent, would it have to be specifically for my brand (Acer)?

Also, I know close to nothing about laptops, would most drivers (like the touch mouse thing) be included in the install or would I have to get those from the Acer site?
Sound Machine
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GH... ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s... EVGA GeForce GTX 670 DirectX 11 02G-P4-2670-KR ... CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DD... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Sol... Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 1... MS Windows 10 Enterprise CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS... 
Case
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
Sound Machine
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GH... ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s... EVGA GeForce GTX 670 DirectX 11 02G-P4-2670-KR ... CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DD... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Sol... Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 1... MS Windows 10 Enterprise CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS... 
Case
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 9
i dont think we're allowed to talk about illegal torrenting here. try calling microsoft and see what they have to say about it
computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 Quad Core Abit IP35 Pro XFX 9800GT 2gb Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb Western Digital SATA Lite On DVD Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit 22" AOC 2216Sw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa 700w OCZ Game X Stream Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Razer Diamondback 
Mouse Pad
Fragmat 
  hide details  
Reply
computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 Quad Core Abit IP35 Pro XFX 9800GT 2gb Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb Western Digital SATA Lite On DVD Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit 22" AOC 2216Sw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa 700w OCZ Game X Stream Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Razer Diamondback 
Mouse Pad
Fragmat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
Call Microsoft. They might send you the DVD for a slight charge. Also, they might redirect you to their DL servers that host Vista, although you might need the OEM DVD.

Just give them a call or E-mail and explain the situation.
post #4 of 9
Just go to Acer's website and purchase the eRecovery disc for your model number for $20.00. Boot off the disc and it takes care of everything else. It puts the laptop right back to the way it was when it was brand new, drivers and all. Also save whatever you need to save on a jump drive or whatever, then reinstall when it's done.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Its gonna cost like 35 for the recovery disk, plus whatever third party software acer includes (I hate third party software). Well, off to search for torrents I guess.
Sound Machine
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GH... ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s... EVGA GeForce GTX 670 DirectX 11 02G-P4-2670-KR ... CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DD... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Sol... Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 1... MS Windows 10 Enterprise CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS... 
Case
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
Sound Machine
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GH... ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s... EVGA GeForce GTX 670 DirectX 11 02G-P4-2670-KR ... CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DD... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Sol... Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 1... MS Windows 10 Enterprise CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS... 
Case
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx302 View Post
Just go to Acer's website and purchase the eRecovery disc for your model number for $20.00. Boot off the disc and it takes care of everything else. It puts the laptop right back to the way it was when it was brand new, drivers and all. Also save whatever you need to save on a jump drive or whatever, then reinstall when it's done.
You will need to make sure that you have not deleted or overwritten the restore partition for when XP pro was installed for this to work. PC builders do have the facility as they normally have a section of the hard drive with all the restore info on in order to restore to shop bought condition. However, if you have deleted that info then then the disc is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

best bet would be microsoft.

Silly question did you not get a vista disc with the PC?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Nvidia GTX 280 (2 in SLI) Corsair c8 (6bg kit) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 X Samsung F1 500gb, 1 samsung 320 Gb Samsung lightscribe Windows 7 64 bit Dell 24 inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 (new version) Coolermaster 1000w Coolermaster G5 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
NA 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Nvidia GTX 280 (2 in SLI) Corsair c8 (6bg kit) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1 X Samsung F1 500gb, 1 samsung 320 Gb Samsung lightscribe Windows 7 64 bit Dell 24 inch 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G15 (new version) Coolermaster 1000w Coolermaster G5 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
NA 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
when i got my old compaq they didnt give my any disks or anything lol
computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 Quad Core Abit IP35 Pro XFX 9800GT 2gb Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb Western Digital SATA Lite On DVD Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit 22" AOC 2216Sw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa 700w OCZ Game X Stream Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Razer Diamondback 
Mouse Pad
Fragmat 
  hide details  
Reply
computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 Quad Core Abit IP35 Pro XFX 9800GT 2gb Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb Western Digital SATA Lite On DVD Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit 22" AOC 2216Sw 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa 700w OCZ Game X Stream Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Razer Diamondback 
Mouse Pad
Fragmat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstein View Post
You will need to make sure that you have not deleted or overwritten the restore partition for when XP pro was installed for this to work. PC builders do have the facility as they normally have a section of the hard drive with all the restore info on in order to restore to shop bought condition. However, if you have deleted that info then then the disc is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
No. Not true. I have an Acer laptop. I completely erased the entire hard drive (on purpose) and re-installed Vista with just the eRecovery disc.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malisk View Post
Couple questions...

I got a laptop from a nearby laptop place. It originally had vista basic on it but the guy installed XP Pro on it cause it only had 512MB and didnt run very well. I have the vista key on the bottom of the laptop and now that I've upgraded the mem to one gig, I want to install Vista back on it.

Would I have to call Microsoft for a cd or is there another way? I know I could maybe find a torrent but I don't trust those.

If I were to get a torrent, would it have to be specifically for my brand (Acer)?

Also, I know close to nothing about laptops, would most drivers (like the touch mouse thing) be included in the install or would I have to get those from the Acer site?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malisk View Post
Its gonna cost like 35 for the recovery disk, plus whatever third party software acer includes (I hate third party software). Well, off to search for torrents I guess.
You can get a disk from microsoft directly...back up and then use your key ...just get the same version your key is for...as they will only send you a disk with one version that you specify on it.
LightningPhoenix
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930  Asus Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX690 GSkill 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 OCZ Vertex 3 Slot load Toshiba TS-TA23 TA23A 6X Blu-ray Burner  Gear Head 24x DVD+/-r Sata Internal Drive 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Vapochill LS Custom mod'd by Jin Park Custom 3D printed Evaporator Adapter w/RGB stri... Windows 7 HP2408H 24'' LCD  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
VIEWSONIC 22" LCD Logitech DiNovo&Optimus mini3 keyboard Rosewill LIGHTNING Series LIGHTNING-1000 1000-W... Two Custom Clear Plexiglass Cases 1-PC & 1-LS 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Saitek Obsidian Lighted Acrylic Onboard RIVE KarmanHardon Soundsticks II 2.1 Speakers 
AudioAudioOther
Logisys SP6006SPL clear plexiglass speakers  Miglia Diva 2.1 Compact Speaker 3D Space Pilot Pro Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
LightningPhoenix
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930  Asus Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX690 GSkill 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 OCZ Vertex 3 Slot load Toshiba TS-TA23 TA23A 6X Blu-ray Burner  Gear Head 24x DVD+/-r Sata Internal Drive 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Vapochill LS Custom mod'd by Jin Park Custom 3D printed Evaporator Adapter w/RGB stri... Windows 7 HP2408H 24'' LCD  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
VIEWSONIC 22" LCD Logitech DiNovo&Optimus mini3 keyboard Rosewill LIGHTNING Series LIGHTNING-1000 1000-W... Two Custom Clear Plexiglass Cases 1-PC & 1-LS 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Saitek Obsidian Lighted Acrylic Onboard RIVE KarmanHardon Soundsticks II 2.1 Speakers 
AudioAudioOther
Logisys SP6006SPL clear plexiglass speakers  Miglia Diva 2.1 Compact Speaker 3D Space Pilot Pro Mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Vista basic disk