Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Server Suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Server Suggestions

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hello, I am building a low budget gaming server. And I would like to know what you guys think of the setup.

CPU: Pentuim D 820 G0
MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-945GM-S2
RAM: Kingston 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 667
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB
OS: Windows Server 2008 x86 (32bit)
DVD: LG Black DVD-RW IDE


I already Have the CPU, and the Harddrive, I will be using the 260 day trail of Windows Server 2008...

Is there any other parts that I can cut cost on? So far it is going to cost me $102.97, and if there is any way I can cut down the cost without losing much performance post. (ex. Motherboard that is similar, but costs less)


I will be using this to run primary a bunch of CS:S servers, but I will probably run other games as well.
Main PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600K @ 4.65GHz 1.328v MSI Z170A Gaming M7 GTX 970 4GB FTW @ 1502Mhz CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
PNY Optima 240GB SSD Samsung 830 64GB SSD Custom Watercooling Loop Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Lenovo Ll2323swA 24" 1920x1080 Dell E2414H 24" 1920x1080 Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum  Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000W 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Logitech G440 Creative Sound Blaster Z - Sound Card 
  hide details  
Reply
Main PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600K @ 4.65GHz 1.328v MSI Z170A Gaming M7 GTX 970 4GB FTW @ 1502Mhz CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
PNY Optima 240GB SSD Samsung 830 64GB SSD Custom Watercooling Loop Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Lenovo Ll2323swA 24" 1920x1080 Dell E2414H 24" 1920x1080 Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum  Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000W 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Logitech G440 Creative Sound Blaster Z - Sound Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlastshotx View Post
Hello, I am building a low budget gaming server. And I would like to know what you guys think of the setup.

CPU: Pentuim D 820 G0
MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-945GM-S2
RAM: Kingston 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 667
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB
OS: Windows Server 2008 x86 (32bit)
DVD: LG Black DVD-RW IDE


I already Have the CPU, and the Harddrive, I will be using the 260 day trail of Windows Server 2008...

Is there any other parts that I can cut cost on? So far it is going to cost me $102.97, and if there is any way I can cut down the cost without losing much performance post. (ex. Motherboard that is similar, but costs less)


I will be using this to run primary a bunch of CS:S servers, but I will probably run other games as well.
you could buy these tracers for only 20 after MIR. great price IMO.

Also, you don't need a server OS to run a server, so if you've got XP around you might want to use that. Or even linux, lots of people use linux for game servers.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by h33b View Post
you could buy these tracers for only 20 after MIR. great price IMO.

Also, you don't need a server OS to run a server, so if you've got XP around you might want to use that. Or even linux, lots of people use linux for game servers.

Damn that is a pretty good price... I would buy them, but I really don't have any extra money. If I bought those, I would have to wait for the MIR to get to me so I could buy the motherboard.


hmm, well I only have Vista Basic (lots of stuff I don't really need for a server..) ... I am very familiar with Server 2008 though, and its free so...
Main PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600K @ 4.65GHz 1.328v MSI Z170A Gaming M7 GTX 970 4GB FTW @ 1502Mhz CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
PNY Optima 240GB SSD Samsung 830 64GB SSD Custom Watercooling Loop Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Lenovo Ll2323swA 24" 1920x1080 Dell E2414H 24" 1920x1080 Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum  Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000W 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Logitech G440 Creative Sound Blaster Z - Sound Card 
  hide details  
Reply
Main PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600K @ 4.65GHz 1.328v MSI Z170A Gaming M7 GTX 970 4GB FTW @ 1502Mhz CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
PNY Optima 240GB SSD Samsung 830 64GB SSD Custom Watercooling Loop Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Lenovo Ll2323swA 24" 1920x1080 Dell E2414H 24" 1920x1080 Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum  Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000W 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Logitech G440 Creative Sound Blaster Z - Sound Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Yeah if it's free for you, go for it. I just wanted to make sure you knew that running a game server doesn't require a server OS.

Other ways to save money:
Look for combos. I know newegg has some really worthwhile combos if you look hard enough.

Check For Sale threads: I don't know how many times I've gotten a great deal from members here just because they upgraded one of their machines and just didn't need a part anymore.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by h33b View Post
Yeah if it's free for you, go for it. I just wanted to make sure you knew that running a game server doesn't require a server OS.

Other ways to save money:
Look for combos. I know newegg has some really worthwhile combos if you look hard enough.

Check For Sale threads: I don't know how many times I've gotten a great deal from members here just because they upgraded one of their machines and just didn't need a part anymore.
Hmm, I will take a look and see if I can find any good combos...

Yeah I have been meaning to go though some of them...



off topic**

How did you kill your P5N-E SLI?? I had that exact board (sold it a few months back) and I overclocked the crap out of my E2140.
Main PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600K @ 4.65GHz 1.328v MSI Z170A Gaming M7 GTX 970 4GB FTW @ 1502Mhz CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
PNY Optima 240GB SSD Samsung 830 64GB SSD Custom Watercooling Loop Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Lenovo Ll2323swA 24" 1920x1080 Dell E2414H 24" 1920x1080 Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum  Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000W 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Logitech G440 Creative Sound Blaster Z - Sound Card 
  hide details  
Reply
Main PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600K @ 4.65GHz 1.328v MSI Z170A Gaming M7 GTX 970 4GB FTW @ 1502Mhz CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
PNY Optima 240GB SSD Samsung 830 64GB SSD Custom Watercooling Loop Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Lenovo Ll2323swA 24" 1920x1080 Dell E2414H 24" 1920x1080 Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum  Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000W 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Logitech G440 Creative Sound Blaster Z - Sound Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
It was a sad sad day for me. I had just gotten my e2180, and I was trying to push it as hard as I could. When I couldn't get any farther, I just kept increasing some of the voltages. Got it to boot and started running ORTHOS, came back like an hour later and the whole machine was frozen. I stuck my hand in the case to see what was hottest, fearing that I had killed my brand new CPU, and it turns out that the NB was just ungodly hot. It wouldn't come back on after that no matter what I did. I loved that board, had it for about two years. It was my first 775 board and it treated me great until I got a quad. Luckily I was able to replace it with a P5N32-E SLI for real cheap from the for sale threads here, ironically.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by h33b View Post
It was a sad sad day for me. I had just gotten my e2180, and I was trying to push it as hard as I could. When I couldn't get any farther, I just kept increasing some of the voltages. Got it to boot and started running ORTHOS, came back like an hour later and the whole machine was frozen. I stuck my hand in the case to see what was hottest, fearing that I had killed my brand new CPU, and it turns out that the NB was just ungodly hot. It wouldn't come back on after that no matter what I did. I loved that board, had it for about two years. It was my first 775 board and it treated me great until I got a quad. Luckily I was able to replace it with a P5N32-E SLI for real cheap from the for sale threads here, ironically.

... At least it wasn't a super expensive CPU. Yeah the Northbridge on that board ran very very hot I noticed.
Main PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600K @ 4.65GHz 1.328v MSI Z170A Gaming M7 GTX 970 4GB FTW @ 1502Mhz CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
PNY Optima 240GB SSD Samsung 830 64GB SSD Custom Watercooling Loop Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Lenovo Ll2323swA 24" 1920x1080 Dell E2414H 24" 1920x1080 Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum  Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000W 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Logitech G440 Creative Sound Blaster Z - Sound Card 
  hide details  
Reply
Main PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600K @ 4.65GHz 1.328v MSI Z170A Gaming M7 GTX 970 4GB FTW @ 1502Mhz CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
PNY Optima 240GB SSD Samsung 830 64GB SSD Custom Watercooling Loop Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Lenovo Ll2323swA 24" 1920x1080 Dell E2414H 24" 1920x1080 Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum  Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000W 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Logitech G440 Creative Sound Blaster Z - Sound Card 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Server Suggestions