Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Sugsestion For a PSU
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sugsestion For a PSU

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
How much amperage should i have on my 12V rail for phenom 9500 to push it beyond 2.9 GHz? My current PSU has 12V1-16amp, 12V2-16amp. But Beyond 2.90Ghz at 1.50v whenever i start prime95 the PSU trips.
also planning to setup a crossfire with ATI HD3870 + HD3870/HD4850. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What is your opinion about Corsair HX620 Modular power supply or
THERMALTAKE W0116 TOUGHPOWER 750W CABLE MANAGEMENT ATI CROSSFIRE CERTIFIED
or maybe something from Tegan
or any other suggestion.

Using
2 seagate 250GB HDD
2 DVD writer lightscribe
1 ASUS HD3870 TOP (Buying one 4850 soon to crossfire)
Phenom 9500 @ 2.86 Ghz (This is my main concern, want to push it more but currently handicapped by the crappy PSU)
4 intake and exhaust Fan
Phenom 9850
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 9850BE @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS M3A32 MVP DELUXE ASUS HD 3870 TOP 4 GB GSKIL DDR2 1000Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SEAGATE 250 GB (LG & SONY) Lightscribe Windows 7 Beta 7057 / Mandriva 2009.1 Spring 22" ASUS VW222 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 750W Modular Thermaltake Armor 
  hide details  
Reply
Phenom 9850
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 9850BE @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS M3A32 MVP DELUXE ASUS HD 3870 TOP 4 GB GSKIL DDR2 1000Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SEAGATE 250 GB (LG & SONY) Lightscribe Windows 7 Beta 7057 / Mandriva 2009.1 Spring 22" ASUS VW222 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 750W Modular Thermaltake Armor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_3025 View Post
How much amperage should i have on my 12V rail for phenom 9500 to push it beyond 2.9 GHz? My current PSU has 12V1-16amp, 12V2-16amp. But Beyond 2.90Ghz at 1.50v whenever i start prime95 the PSU trips.
also planning to setup a crossfire with ATI HD3870 + HD3870/HD4850. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What is your opinion about Corsair HX620 Modular power supply or
THERMALTAKE W0116 TOUGHPOWER 750W CABLE MANAGEMENT ATI CROSSFIRE CERTIFIED
or any other suggestion.

Using
2 seagate 250GB HDD
2 DVD writer lightscribe
1 ASUS HD3870 TOP (Buying one 4850 soon to crossfire)
Phenom 9500 @ 2.86 Ghz (This is my main concern, want to push it more but currently handicapped by the crappy PSU)
4 intake and exhaust Fan
Suggestions... Um go buy a new power supply now, something along the lines of 1000 watt, there is no way that PSU will take two cards, ATI recomend 550 watts for a single 3870 let alone two
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X2 6000 Asus M2N MSI 9800GTX 2 X 1GB Apacer DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Western Digital 160GB Windows XP SP3 Benq G2400WD Top Power 500W 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X2 6000 Asus M2N MSI 9800GTX 2 X 1GB Apacer DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Western Digital 160GB Windows XP SP3 Benq G2400WD Top Power 500W 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1161979 View Post
Suggestions... Um go buy a new power supply now, something along the lines of 1000 watt, there is no way that PSU will take two cards, ATI recomend 550 watts for a single 3870 let alone two
1000W. Isn't that a bit overkill for what i am planning?
Phenom 9850
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 9850BE @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS M3A32 MVP DELUXE ASUS HD 3870 TOP 4 GB GSKIL DDR2 1000Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SEAGATE 250 GB (LG & SONY) Lightscribe Windows 7 Beta 7057 / Mandriva 2009.1 Spring 22" ASUS VW222 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 750W Modular Thermaltake Armor 
  hide details  
Reply
Phenom 9850
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 9850BE @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS M3A32 MVP DELUXE ASUS HD 3870 TOP 4 GB GSKIL DDR2 1000Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SEAGATE 250 GB (LG & SONY) Lightscribe Windows 7 Beta 7057 / Mandriva 2009.1 Spring 22" ASUS VW222 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 750W Modular Thermaltake Armor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 13
1000w LOL, no 750 would be plenty, cf may need alot of power but not that much ... its not like SLi .... 750 should be enough for what you want
Shrunk ....
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 @ 3.2 GHz Asus P5E-VM HDMI EVGA GTX280 SSC OCZ Reaper 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Core V2 Raid 0 & WD 500GB Samsung DVD-RW Windows 7 64bit Dell ST2410 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch (Cherry Black) Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Antec P180 Mini Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
Shrunk ....
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 B3 @ 3.2 GHz Asus P5E-VM HDMI EVGA GTX280 SSC OCZ Reaper 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Core V2 Raid 0 & WD 500GB Samsung DVD-RW Windows 7 64bit Dell ST2410 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch (Cherry Black) Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Antec P180 Mini Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_3025 View Post
1000W. Isn't that a bit overkill for what i am planning?
All 1000w PSUs I have seen don't go more than dual graphics cards. If you ever want SLI or CrossFire then you will need it in the future. Plus, think about all the other things besides your graphics card. I would also go with 1000w. I just got a new Antec Quattro 1000w PSU. Also, if you get a higher watt PSU make sure it has at least 3 rails to ensure that the power is distributed equally. Modular power supplies are cool and great because you can only use the wires you need and this reduces clutter and makes wire management easier.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X3220 DFI Lanparty UT X48-T2R HD 4870 G.SKILL (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB IDE + 160GB IDE/USB Enclosure Samsung SH-S183L DL DVD±RW Windows Vista Ultimate x64 2 x Dell 1704FPV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech DiNovo Edge Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w Antec P182 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X3220 DFI Lanparty UT X48-T2R HD 4870 G.SKILL (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160GB IDE + 160GB IDE/USB Enclosure Samsung SH-S183L DL DVD±RW Windows Vista Ultimate x64 2 x Dell 1704FPV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech DiNovo Edge Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w Antec P182 Logitech MX Revolution 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiq View Post
All 1000w PSUs I have seen don't go more than dual graphics cards. If you ever want SLI or CrossFire then you will need it in the future. Plus, think about all the other things besides your graphics card. I would also go with 1000w. I just got a new Antec Quattro 1000w PSU. Also, if you get a higher watt PSU make sure it has at least 3 rails to ensure that the power is distributed equally. Modular power supplies are cool and great because you can only use the wires you need and this reduces clutter and makes wire management easier.
He doesn't need 1000 watts, 750 will do just fine. Please don't use the future card on this one, by the time he actually needs all the power it will be obsolete.

*Edit: If you want a good PSU, consider the 750 watt by PCP&C. I am ordering it sometime soon.
Ref: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=22071
Second System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 @ 3.6GHz 24/7 EVGA 790i Ultra EVGA 9800 GTX+ 2x2GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1.8GHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x36GB WD Raptors RAID0 Vista Ultimate x64 SyncMaster 245BW G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PCP&P 750 Quad CoolerMaster CM 690 Razer Diamondback None 
  hide details  
Reply
Second System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 @ 3.6GHz 24/7 EVGA 790i Ultra EVGA 9800 GTX+ 2x2GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1.8GHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x36GB WD Raptors RAID0 Vista Ultimate x64 SyncMaster 245BW G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PCP&P 750 Quad CoolerMaster CM 690 Razer Diamondback None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 13
A good 750W PSU should be fine. With some minor changes/upgrades in mind, get a good 850W PSU.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone for quick reply. Following are the two links from where i intend to buy. Advise??
700w+ http://www.eshopcy.com.cy/search_per...C9%CA%CF&psu=7

800W+
http://www.eshopcy.com.cy/search_per...C9%CA%CF&psu=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilr View Post
He doesn't need 1000 watts, 750 will do just fine. Please don't use the future card on this one, by the time he actually needs all the power it will be obsolete.

*Edit: If you want a good PSU, consider the 750 watt by PCP&C. I am ordering it sometime soon.
Ref: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=22071
Thanks Man. But i am handicapped by the availability from my local vendor.
Phenom 9850
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 9850BE @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS M3A32 MVP DELUXE ASUS HD 3870 TOP 4 GB GSKIL DDR2 1000Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SEAGATE 250 GB (LG & SONY) Lightscribe Windows 7 Beta 7057 / Mandriva 2009.1 Spring 22" ASUS VW222 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 750W Modular Thermaltake Armor 
  hide details  
Reply
Phenom 9850
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 9850BE @ 3.0 Ghz ASUS M3A32 MVP DELUXE ASUS HD 3870 TOP 4 GB GSKIL DDR2 1000Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SEAGATE 250 GB (LG & SONY) Lightscribe Windows 7 Beta 7057 / Mandriva 2009.1 Spring 22" ASUS VW222 
PowerCase
Thermaltake 750W Modular Thermaltake Armor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 13
The PSU in my sig is a great one, however if you ever decide to add more than two cards to your system you will need a larger PSU. Mine will run 2x crossfire easily, if I run 3x crossfire at anything above stock settings my PSU cannot handle it unless I unplug almost all of my case fans.

Just something for you to think about.
Edited by BenBrown - 6/23/08 at 7:06am
The Ark
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 PowerColor AX7870 2GBD5-M2DH G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
CORSAIR XMS 8GB DDR3 1600 OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G WD 750GB Black WD 500GB Black 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1TB Green Lite-On 20x LH-20A1L ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-R 135mm Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
HP w2007 HP w2007 Logitech MK520 Ultra X3 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Logitech Wireless Mouse XTRAC Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
The Ark
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 PowerColor AX7870 2GBD5-M2DH G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
CORSAIR XMS 8GB DDR3 1600 OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G WD 750GB Black WD 500GB Black 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1TB Green Lite-On 20x LH-20A1L ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-R 135mm Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
HP w2007 HP w2007 Logitech MK520 Ultra X3 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Logitech Wireless Mouse XTRAC Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_3025 View Post
Thanks everyone for quick reply. Following are the two links from where i intend to buy. Advise??
700w+ http://www.eshopcy.com.cy/search_per...C9%CA%CF&psu=7

800W+
http://www.eshopcy.com.cy/search_per...C9%CA%CF&psu=8



Thanks Man. But i am handicapped by the availability from my local vendor.

In those lists, either Thermaltake 750W or CM realpower 850W is fine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Sugsestion For a PSU