Overclock.net banner

Bad ram for overclocking?

3K views 54 replies 6 participants last post by  vwgti 
#1 ·
ok well i want to overclock but i dont know whats wrong im going to try and be as detailed as possible....... I bought a computer from cyberpower with these specs
So everything was great i got it unwraped it.....turned it on and nothing happened...

i took a look inside and thought it was the video card, because nothing was happening when i turned it on and the screen said no video input, I swaped video cards with my old one and.. same thing happened....

so i took out one of the ram sticks and sure enough it powered up fine...........
i gave them a call told them what was wrong and they told me to go to the bios>jumperfreeconfig>fsb and memory config> and change auto to unlinked i did that then he told me to set the memory to 667...i did so
Everything was fine but then i wanted to overclock i looked around and stuff tried it set the FSB from 1333mhz to 1366mhz and got a stable 3.1GHz

went to turn it up to 1399 (tried different thing after didnt make a difference) and it gets a no video input when i exit and save how i have to fix it is take out one ram stick (doesnt matter which) turn the comp back on and it will say system boot fail "your last system boot has failed blah blah blah click DEL to enter setup and change to default settings"

i do that and switch it back to 1333mhz save exit turn it off (after it boots up) put the other ram stick in again and it works fine...im not great at explaining things so i hope someone can tell me whats wrong...i think it has to do with bad ram? not bad as in broken but poor quality?

EDIT: sorry forgot to say that i didnt get the 800 WATT psu i got a 750 watt but they dont have that on the site anymore so..had to pick that sorry

See less See more
#4 ·
If that is corsair memory, it's likely a value version. Still, it does say that they are DDR800, so even if they are not exceptional overclockers, they should not be what is holding you back right now. You likely just need some more voltage.

I could probably give you a better idea of what they are capable of, and what settings may be appropriate if I had a better picture of them.

Could you take one out and get a shot of the lables and, if at all possible, the text on the individual memory ICs themselves?

#6 ·
I got my PC from CyberPower also, but mine worked great out of the box. When I chose the corsair or value select ram, I got Buffalo Select (yours could be different though).

For one, if your mem will not run at 800 and you have to set it to 677, I would complain, because that is not what they advertised. Mine ran fine at 800. I was able to OC my CPU fine also, but I have the e6420. I do have the same MB you chose as well. I would try to get the RAM replaced if it does not run at what it is supposed to run at.

EDIT: could be the MB also I guess.

#7 ·
"if at all possible, the test on the individual memory ICs themselves?" Im sorry kind of new to OCing but if you tell me what that is ( i feel like a complete noob right now) then i will and here are some shots but you cant see them great
It says "DDR2-800U 1GB MEAER400LA0101-08A6 pq1"

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbobb
View Post

I got my PC from CyberPower also, but mine worked great out of the box. When I chose the corsair or value select ram, I got Buffalo Select (yours could be different though).

For one, if your mem will not run at 800 and you have to set it to 677, I would complain, because that is not what they advertised. Mine ran fine at 800. I was able to OC my CPU fine also, but I have the e6420. I do have the same MB you chose as well. I would try to get the RAM replaced if it does not run at what it is supposed to run at.

EDIT: could be the MB also I guess.

4 dimms can be very trying on a 650i board, so I think it's more likely to be a matter of tweaking some settings than anything actually being defective.

If something is actually flawed with the components themselves, then yes, a complaint and a replacement would be in order. However, other possibilities should be ruled out first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by obliviousfan131
View Post

"if at all possible, the test on the individual memory ICs themselves?" Im sorry kind of new to OCing but if you tell me what that is ( i feel like a complete noob right now) then i will and here are some shots but you cant see them great

It says "DDR2-800U 1GB MEAER400LA0101-08A6 pq1"

I meant "text". The writting on the little black chips is what I'm looking for.

I can see that it is PQi memory, which is not a bad brand, though not first tier.

#10 ·
Alright, I can't find any information on those specific chips, and the info on that modle is pretty sparse on PQi's site, but I did find similar PQi memory that specifies 2.0v for DDR2-800 operation. With four dimms, you may need a touch more for overclocking.

Try setting the memory voltage (vdddr, vdimm, ect) to 2.05v and change the memory clock mode to linked. You may also want to add a small amount of voltage to the chipset (vNB or vMCH). Then attempt your overclock again. See if you can work your way up to 400MHz FSB or so.

If you can find the memory timing options, increasing the tRC (and tRFC if shown) may help.

#11 ·
Okay well i went to voltage and for the memory the closest to 2.05 was either 2.013v and 2.085v i did 2.085v changed to linked tried the oc saved and exited then no video input poped up along with a clunk type of noise from the mobo where the ram is

#15 ·
Ok i did a little test and set the fsb to 1366mhz and the memory to 800mhz and it worked fine..that is with 3 sticks of ram if i put the 4th in it stops working all together again..,...edit never mind it was to unstable froze when opening a folder even had trouble shutting down so i guess thats not going to work..

#17 ·
heh well i did what you said just put that one ram stick in turned it on and guess what "no video input" also it made that clunk noise again guess its bad?

edit: ouch...i tried the 4th ram stick alone in another port and it worked does that mean that the mobo is bad?...

#19 ·
Ok well i did all the other sticks in the one where the "bad/4th" stick didnt work and they all did BUT the 4th stick does work alone in the other 3 slots does this mean that its bad the mobo is bad or somethings wrong with that slot?...

edit again: i tried using 2 sticks of ram and the 1399mhz oc was a success yeah the 4th ram stick was one of the two and it has been running orthos for 2 minutes with no odd glitches/odd things happening

edit: again again: i stoped the test tried opening and closing some folders aswell as right clicking the desktop and it seemed to lagg a bit..is it because its not getting enough voltage or something? its not really..lagging its more of a..like..when i right clicked it took a little bit for the thing to pop up when it should be instant same with the folders

#25 ·
Yeah i can put them all in and have everything work fine but the second i try to oc anything past 1366mhz on the fsb its like everything stops working together that is unless i take out 2 sticks (any two doesnt matter) then it will work but it will be really slow like trying to run crysis on a single core @ 3ghz with all settings very high (yeah it gets that laggy on my desktop when i got past 1366mhz with 2 sticks of ram because i cant get it to oc past 1366 with all 4 sticks)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.