Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › High load temps!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

High load temps! - Page 2

post #11 of 18
I went through 4 different CPU coolers when i finished my gaming rig.
It wasnt until i bought the TRUE was i totally satisfied....
and man was it the biggest difference i have ever seen.
This thing laughs at the heat of a quad core....
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
The Xigmakek S1283 beats the Tuniq and True in performance, size, and cost.
Meh i checked out the reviews, and the specs for that.
I'm sorry but im a little unconvinced for a few reasons:
1. copper heat pipes... bleh
2. It only has 3 heatpipes....no way that can transfer the heat from a quad. with 1.4 + volts running through it.
3. The way it mounts, its just like the stock intel cooler, no pressure applied.

Thermalrights whole piece is nickel plated, even the heatpipes. Nickel is a better conductor of heat then copper.
Heatpipes are actually considered very fragile and weak, vulnerable to oxygen, when exposed to oxygen for a certain amount of time they will oxidize and change shape, reducing heat transfer.
Also every contact point & joint on the TRUE is soldered. Other heatsinks are not. The True also has 6 heatpipes going up each side of the heatsink, so its actually 12 pipes for transferring heat.

If this doesnt grab you.... read more you will get it eventually

Good luck !
Check out Anandtechs review :
http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling...oc.aspx?i=2943
Edited by Arakasi - 6/25/08 at 11:19pm
post #13 of 18
actually, nickel is far less heat conductive than copper (but nickel looks cooler)

Thermal Conductance Element Name Symbol
4.29 W/cmK Silver Ag
4.01 W/cmK Copper Cu
3.17 W/cmK Gold Au
2.37 W/cmK Aluminum Al
2.01 W/cmK Calcium Ca
2.01 W/cmK Beryllium Be
1.74 W/cmK Tungsten W
1.56 W/cmK Magnesium Mg
1.5 W/cmK Rhodium Rh
1.48 W/cmK Silicon Si
1.47 W/cmK Iridium Ir
1.41 W/cmK Sodium Na
1.38 W/cmK Molybdenum Mo
1.29 W/cmK Carbon C
1.17 W/cmK Ruthenium Ru
1.16 W/cmK Zinc Zn
1.024 W/cmK Potassium K
1 W/cmK Cobalt Co
0.968 W/cmK Cadmium Cd
0.937 W/cmK Chromium Cr
0.907 W/cmK Nickel Ni

And the TRUE's heatpipes are nickel plated copper. The Xigmateks heatpipes contact the CPU directly, while the TRUE uses the slightly older style where the heatpipes are sandwiched between two pieces of copper with some thermal goop in between to fill in the gaps.
The Xigmatec (and OCZ vendetta 2) are using a more efficient design with fewer heatpipes ,while the True has more heatpipes of the less efficient variety to achieve almost identical results. Now we just need to wait for a direct heatpipe touch TRUE...

just thought i'd throw this out there for everyone.

here's a good review if you're interested

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...=156&Itemid=62
Edited by logan - 6/26/08 at 12:27am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
[Bla bla bla]

And the TRUE's heatpipes are nickel plated copper. The Xigmateks heatpipes contact the CPU directly, while the TRUE uses the slightly older style where the heatpipes are sandwiched between two pieces of copper with some thermal goop in between to fill in the gaps.
The Xigmatec (and OCZ vendetta 2) are using a more efficient design with fewer heatpipes ,while the True has more heatpipes of the less efficient variety to achieve almost identical results. Now we just need to wait for a direct heatpipe touch TRUE...

[Bla bla bla]
The one heat sink to cool them all...
su -c rm -rf /
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Gigabyte P55M-UD2 Sapphire HD 4870 X2 2GB 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Caviar Black + 320GB Seag. TSST Corp/Samsung SH-S223Q/BEBN SATA 22X DVDR/RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit LG Flatron L226WTY-BF 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Touch FKBN87M/ Corsair TX750W CM-690 Modded For Silence Steelseries Ikari Laser 
Mouse Pad
Razer Sphex 
  hide details  
Reply
su -c rm -rf /
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Gigabyte P55M-UD2 Sapphire HD 4870 X2 2GB 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Caviar Black + 320GB Seag. TSST Corp/Samsung SH-S223Q/BEBN SATA 22X DVDR/RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit LG Flatron L226WTY-BF 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Touch FKBN87M/ Corsair TX750W CM-690 Modded For Silence Steelseries Ikari Laser 
Mouse Pad
Razer Sphex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakasi View Post
Meh i checked out the reviews, and the specs for that.
I'm sorry but im a little unconvinced for a few reasons:
1. copper heat pipes... bleh
2. It only has 3 heatpipes....no way that can transfer the heat from a quad. with 1.4 + volts running through it.
3. The way it mounts, its just like the stock intel cooler, no pressure applied.

Thermalrights whole piece is nickel plated, even the heatpipes. Nickel is a better conductor of heat then copper.
Heatpipes are actually considered very fragile and weak, vulnerable to oxygen, when exposed to oxygen for a certain amount of time they will oxidize and change shape, reducing heat transfer.
Also every contact point & joint on the TRUE is soldered. Other heatsinks are not. The True also has 6 heatpipes going up each side of the heatsink, so its actually 12 pipes for transferring heat.

If this doesnt grab you.... read more you will get it eventually

Good luck !
Check out Anandtechs review :
http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling...oc.aspx?i=2943
Copper is a better conductor. The nickel is to prevent oxidation, or so I've been told.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6 Asus P5K Premium eVGA 9800GTX SSC Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8500 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6 Asus P5K Premium eVGA 9800GTX SSC Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
actually, nickel is far less heat conductive than copper (but nickel looks cooler)

Thermal Conductance Element Name Symbol
4.29 W/cmK Silver Ag
4.01 W/cmK Copper Cu
3.17 W/cmK Gold Au
2.37 W/cmK Aluminum Al
2.01 W/cmK Calcium Ca
2.01 W/cmK Beryllium Be
1.74 W/cmK Tungsten W
1.56 W/cmK Magnesium Mg
1.5 W/cmK Rhodium Rh
1.48 W/cmK Silicon Si
1.47 W/cmK Iridium Ir
1.41 W/cmK Sodium Na
1.38 W/cmK Molybdenum Mo
1.29 W/cmK Carbon C
1.17 W/cmK Ruthenium Ru
1.16 W/cmK Zinc Zn
1.024 W/cmK Potassium K
1 W/cmK Cobalt Co
0.968 W/cmK Cadmium Cd
0.937 W/cmK Chromium Cr
0.907 W/cmK Nickel Ni

And the TRUE's heatpipes are nickel plated copper. The Xigmateks heatpipes contact the CPU directly, while the TRUE uses the slightly older style where the heatpipes are sandwiched between two pieces of copper with some thermal goop in between to fill in the gaps.
The Xigmatec (and OCZ vendetta 2) are using a more efficient design with fewer heatpipes ,while the True has more heatpipes of the less efficient variety to achieve almost identical results. Now we just need to wait for a direct heatpipe touch TRUE...

just thought i'd throw this out there for everyone.

here's a good review if you're interested

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...=156&Itemid=62
Although the heatpipes touch the processor directly, I'm inclined to believe that the gaps in between the pipes and the base would cause some efficiency loss. Just a thought though.

I think the bottom line is that you're going to get great performance with a TRUE no matter how you look at it. It's pretty much the benchmark for high-end air. I'm sure there's going to be odd case where another cooler is going to beat it, I don't doubt that, but majority of the time you'll probably see the TRUE on top.

It all comes down to what you want and can afford. I think a lot of people are turned off by the price + additional cost of a fan. You can get similar performance from a V2 for less. You can't really go wrong with either cooler. I also think a lot of people also hate hearing about the TRUE all the time and would rather own something different. To each their own.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6 Asus P5K Premium eVGA 9800GTX SSC Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8500 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.6 Asus P5K Premium eVGA 9800GTX SSC Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 18
yea, you've got it right, the TRUE is pretty much the benchmark... but irregardless of which of those three you go with, I doubt that most people will notice the difference between 14.03c above ambient or 14.78c. It really comes down to what the budget is , and availability of the products are. They're all good, i just thought that i'd clarify a little.
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakasi View Post
Meh i checked out the reviews, and the specs for that.
I'm sorry but im a little unconvinced for a few reasons:
1. copper heat pipes... bleh
Copper is the second most conductive metal for heat.

Quote:

2. It only has 3 heatpipes....no way that can transfer the heat from a quad. with 1.4 + volts running through it.
It apparently can. The heat pipes directly touch the IHS so the transfer is more efficient. For the TRUE it has to go through another medium before it reaches the heatpipes, which is less efficient.

Quote:
3. The way it mounts, its just like the stock intel cooler, no pressure applied.

That's a concern... more for stability than for heat though. When I mounted with push pins the temps were fine but it wasn't secure. Anyway you just buy the bolt-through kit for another $7 and you're good to go.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/lgbowiscsp.html

Quote:
The True also has 6 heatpipes going up each side of the heatsink, so its actually 12 pipes for transferring heat.
The Xigmatek has 6 pipes by that standard. You can't say one's heatpipes actually count as 2 and the other's don't.

If you don't believe me see: http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

and check other reviews.

It ends up being fairly close - the S1283 is only a degree or two cooler in most cases - but it's cheaper, comes with a decent fan, is lighter, and smaller.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6 Extreme4 p67 1070 Gaming X 4x4 ripjaws X 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
850 EVO, 6TB Hitach/WD Xigmatek Aegir Win7 Shimian 27" 1440p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec TP650 HAF 922 G400s (RIP 518) Puretrak Stealth 
Audio
Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6 Extreme4 p67 1070 Gaming X 4x4 ripjaws X 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
850 EVO, 6TB Hitach/WD Xigmatek Aegir Win7 Shimian 27" 1440p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec TP650 HAF 922 G400s (RIP 518) Puretrak Stealth 
Audio
Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › High load temps!