Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [JPC] x86 Emulator Written in Java
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[JPC] x86 Emulator Written in Java - Page 2

post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgnome229 View Post
The FAQ states an 80% performance hit, I would expect real world performance to be even worse than that. It's a virtualization technology anyway - it requires a JVM to run on (and thereby an underlying OS).
There went my theory. With such abysmal performance... what is the point?
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
Lee XT
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 Asus M5A97 SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ AMD 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 Pro MCE Dell P2414H WHXV7  Microsoft Generic 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Ultra 600W Limited Edition NZXT Black Steel Razer Deathadder Razer Goliath 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
Hmmm... Java = slow. x86 emulated by Java = really slow.
My first thought, exactly.
Ferberite
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 AMD Radeon HD 6630M 6GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
Samsung 850EVO HITACHI HTS727550A9E364 7.2krpm Debian 7.0 Win7 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win8 15.6 Zoll 16:9, 1366x768 Pixel, AUO23EC, spiege... 24" Dell U2412M, 1920x1200 Integrated + External 
PowerCase
20V, 4.5A Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 
  hide details  
Reply
Ferberite
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 AMD Radeon HD 6630M 6GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
Samsung 850EVO HITACHI HTS727550A9E364 7.2krpm Debian 7.0 Win7 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win8 15.6 Zoll 16:9, 1366x768 Pixel, AUO23EC, spiege... 24" Dell U2412M, 1920x1200 Integrated + External 
PowerCase
20V, 4.5A Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 23
JAVA=Jerryrigging Ass Vs Apples
Java is slow, eats memory like a pig at a buffet and is down right user\\code unfriendly!

JAVA is the masturbating version of C++ !
GONDOR
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
P4 2.8GHz @ 800FSB Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Asus GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256MB OCZ 1GB (512MBx2) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Too Many Memorex (Prefer Lite-On) Classified Dell 2405WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Internet White Vantec 420W Lian-Li PC601 Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 
Mouse Pad
Classified 
  hide details  
Reply
GONDOR
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
P4 2.8GHz @ 800FSB Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Asus GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256MB OCZ 1GB (512MBx2) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Too Many Memorex (Prefer Lite-On) Classified Dell 2405WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Internet White Vantec 420W Lian-Li PC601 Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 
Mouse Pad
Classified 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumont View Post
JAVA=Jerryrigging Ass Vs Apples
Java is slow, eats memory like a pig at a buffet and is down right usercode unfriendly!

JAVA is the masturbating version of C++ !
Java is a fantastic language and offers many advantages over C++ (which in turn has many advantages over Java). Much that Java has to offer comes from it running on the JVM rather than directly on the hardware. Unfortunately, for performance critical applications the overhead that this entails is often prohibitive.

I prefer C++ myself, but you have to give Java its due credit.
It goes to eleven
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6300 DS3 EVGA 8600GTS 2GB XMS2 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1.294 TB Arch Linux/XP Samsung 226bw Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 520HX Lian-Li v1000B Plus G7 
  hide details  
Reply
It goes to eleven
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6300 DS3 EVGA 8600GTS 2GB XMS2 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1.294 TB Arch Linux/XP Samsung 226bw Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 520HX Lian-Li v1000B Plus G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgnome229 View Post
Java is a fantastic language and offers many advantages over C++ (which in turn has many advantages over Java). Much that Java has to offer comes from it running on the JVM rather than directly on the hardware. Unfortunately, for performance critical applications the overhead that this entails is often prohibitive.

I prefer C++ myself, but you have to give Java its due credit.
Which JAVA got from the masturbating and self-fulfilling portion of my comment
GONDOR
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
P4 2.8GHz @ 800FSB Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Asus GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256MB OCZ 1GB (512MBx2) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Too Many Memorex (Prefer Lite-On) Classified Dell 2405WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Internet White Vantec 420W Lian-Li PC601 Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 
Mouse Pad
Classified 
  hide details  
Reply
GONDOR
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
P4 2.8GHz @ 800FSB Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Asus GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256MB OCZ 1GB (512MBx2) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Too Many Memorex (Prefer Lite-On) Classified Dell 2405WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Internet White Vantec 420W Lian-Li PC601 Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 
Mouse Pad
Classified 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht View Post
There went my theory. With such abysmal performance... what is the point?
We take 1 step at a time.

Nintendo
Super Nintendo
Nintendo 64
Game Cube
Wii <-- odd name

So 20% yeah... that sucks, but give it another year and maybe they have twieked some code here and there and got to 40% Still sucks but hey at least its 2x as fast as it was before. Then wait another year and with it around 50-60% thats getting cool. If they can hit a 80% id say thats good enough.
Zev's Comp
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDM... GeForce GTX 750 Ti G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DrivePower
1TB HDD 64GB SSD (Used for SRT) 500 GB. Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V... 
Case
COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black S... 
  hide details  
Reply
Zev's Comp
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDM... GeForce GTX 750 Ti G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DrivePower
1TB HDD 64GB SSD (Used for SRT) 500 GB. Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V... 
Case
COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black S... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 23
Hey how dare you mix hardware solutions with who knows who will use that software solution if anyone...
End result, your example is moot.

software is like milk in the water, everyone drinks water=hardware, no one is going to look for that milk unless its revolutionary, which it isn't because Wow JAVA, so what...
GONDOR
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
P4 2.8GHz @ 800FSB Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Asus GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256MB OCZ 1GB (512MBx2) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Too Many Memorex (Prefer Lite-On) Classified Dell 2405WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Internet White Vantec 420W Lian-Li PC601 Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 
Mouse Pad
Classified 
  hide details  
Reply
GONDOR
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
P4 2.8GHz @ 800FSB Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Asus GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256MB OCZ 1GB (512MBx2) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Too Many Memorex (Prefer Lite-On) Classified Dell 2405WFP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Internet White Vantec 420W Lian-Li PC601 Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 
Mouse Pad
Classified 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrzev View Post
We take 1 step at a time.

Nintendo
Super Nintendo
Nintendo 64
Game Cube
Wii <-- odd name

So 20% yeah... that sucks, but give it another year and maybe they have twieked some code here and there and got to 40% Still sucks but hey at least its 2x as fast as it was before. Then wait another year and with it around 50-60% thats getting cool. If they can hit a 80% id say thats good enough.
A 4x speedup is pretty unlikely IMO. Beyond the typical optimization techniques (loop unrolling and such) there isn't a whole lot of optimization you can do with java. There are a few hacks you can use, but you can never optimize the way you can with C or other languages that give you access to the assembly code being run.
It goes to eleven
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6300 DS3 EVGA 8600GTS 2GB XMS2 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1.294 TB Arch Linux/XP Samsung 226bw Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 520HX Lian-Li v1000B Plus G7 
  hide details  
Reply
It goes to eleven
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6300 DS3 EVGA 8600GTS 2GB XMS2 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1.294 TB Arch Linux/XP Samsung 226bw Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 520HX Lian-Li v1000B Plus G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgnome229 View Post
A 4x speedup is pretty unlikely IMO. Beyond the typical optimization techniques (loop unrolling and such) there isn't a whole lot of optimization you can do with java. There are a few hacks you can use, but you can never optimize the way you can with C or other languages that give you access to the assembly code being run.
I did Java for 1 year in highschool. Then 2 years of C++ in college. And then come C# at work one summer.

C++ is a lot like C# to me, and C# is close to Java (what i remember of it)
I dont call myself a good programmer, more like intermediate. But i dont know anything really in depth so, i cant argue with that =) Also sounds true heh.

I agree that 80% is HIGHLY unlikely, but i do feel that its possible to get at least 50%. I dont think that one Code can dominate the other to that extreme, especially how similar they are in a general view.

But just say they hit 30-40% There are a lot of applications that dont need that much speed anyways. Running MP3 Player(WinAmp), WinRar, and a hundred other applications that dont need much at all. Im gona look forward to the day that i can open up a browser go to a website, with several nice applications that i can run without installing anything on the computer.
Zev's Comp
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDM... GeForce GTX 750 Ti G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DrivePower
1TB HDD 64GB SSD (Used for SRT) 500 GB. Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V... 
Case
COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black S... 
  hide details  
Reply
Zev's Comp
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDM... GeForce GTX 750 Ti G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DrivePower
1TB HDD 64GB SSD (Used for SRT) 500 GB. Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V... 
Case
COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black S... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrzev View Post
I did Java for 1 year in highschool. Then 2 years of C++ in college. And then come C# at work one summer.

C++ is a lot like C# to me, and C# is close to Java (what i remember of it)
I dont call myself a good programmer, more like intermediate. But i dont know anything really in depth so, i cant argue with that =) Also sounds true heh.

I agree that 80% is HIGHLY unlikely, but i do feel that its possible to get at least 50%. I dont think that one Code can dominate the other to that extreme, especially how similar they are in a general view.

But just say they hit 30-40% There are a lot of applications that dont need that much speed anyways. Running MP3 Player(WinAmp), WinRar, and a hundred other applications that dont need much at all. Im gona look forward to the day that i can open up a browser go to a website, with several nice applications that i can run without installing anything on the computer.
e.g. damn small linux/win95 on a ~600Mhz ARM would run quite good.
hektik skidz
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon L5639  Asus SABERTHOOTH X58 Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Sapphire Radeon R9 290 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Sapphire Radeon R9 290 48GB 6x8 Corsair 1600Mhz Samsung 840 evo 120GB Toshiba 3TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Windows 7 BenQ G2222HDL KeyCool 87 MX Browns 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000W DeepCool Pangu Modded WMO 1.1a Roccat Taito 
Audio
Xonar DS 
  hide details  
Reply
hektik skidz
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon L5639  Asus SABERTHOOTH X58 Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Sapphire Radeon R9 290 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Sapphire Radeon R9 290 48GB 6x8 Corsair 1600Mhz Samsung 840 evo 120GB Toshiba 3TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Windows 7 BenQ G2222HDL KeyCool 87 MX Browns 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000W DeepCool Pangu Modded WMO 1.1a Roccat Taito 
Audio
Xonar DS 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [JPC] x86 Emulator Written in Java