here's some press release note
"We've wanted to expand on the epic story and gameplay elements of the Diablo universe for some time now," stated Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "We know that players have also been long awaiting a return to the series, so we're very excited to be sharing this announcement with Blizzard gamers here in Paris and around the world today."
Diablo III will pick up the story twenty years after the events of Diablo II. Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal have been defeated, but the Worldstone, which once shielded the inhabitants of the world of Sanctuary from the forces of both the High Heavens and the Burning Hells, has been destroyed, and evil once again stirs in Tristram. Playing as a hero from one of five distinct character classes
, players will acquire powerful items, spells, and abilities
as they explore new and familiar areas of Sanctuary and battle hordes of demons to safeguard the world from the horrors that have arisen. The first two characters classes -- the barbarian and the witch doctor -- were shown as part of the announcement at the event today in Paris.
Diablo III will feature a custom 3D-graphics engine to render lush indoor and outdoor areas of Sanctuary with a high level of detail and vivid special effects. The game's physics-enhanced environments will be interactive and destructible, offering traps and obstacles that create added danger for players and monsters alike. These elements, along with a new quest system and random scripted events, will be integrated into the game's random-level generator, giving Diablo III the ultimate combination of dynamic gameplay and replayability. Cooperative and competitive play will be available online through an upgraded version of Blizzard Entertainment's renowned online gaming service, Battle.netÂ®.
Blizzard Entertainment is developing Diablo III for simultaneous release on the WindowsÂ® and MacintoshÂ® PC platforms. Further information about the game, including details on the other character classes, major new features for the single-player and multiplayer components, system requirements, pricing, and availability, will be announced as development progresses. To learn more about Diablo III, please visit the official website at www.diablo3.com
About the Diablo Series
Launched at the end of 1996, the original Diablo helped popularize the action role-playing-game genre, earning widespread critical and commercial success. The game's sequel, Diablo II, shipped in 2000 to similar acclaim, winning several Game of the Year awards and at the time becoming the fastest-selling computer game ever. Diablo II's award-winning expansion set, Diablo II: Lord of Destruction™, debuted in 2001, becoming Blizzard Entertainment's sixth-consecutive #1-selling game. To date, the franchise has sold more than 18.5 million copies worldwide.* Diablo's gothic horror theme has also inspired a number of licensed products, including novels and action figures.
They also started working on D3 in 2001.
-HAVOC Physics Engine
-Homemade 3D engine
-MALE AND FEMALE Classes
I think there will be at least one add-ons, (to put in the game some thigns fan will tell them to add) and to add more classes (like DII & LOD, 5 then 7. (added 2)).
Poorly Translated from french: (long text translated from babelfish)
Edited by Cr4zYH3aD - 6/28/08 at 2:30pm
Here the first news d' long series d' infos in connection with Diablo III. The development of the play will be still long and in fact hundreds of news as this one await you in the months and years which come
J' could attended a press conference and a public conference on Diablo III, j' thus have some infos with you refiler. I will limit myself this time to the concrete infos, I will speak later about my impressions (kind that all will tear ^^):
* The play will keep the principal characteristics of the series, namely an easy access and an action very fast not-stop. Not question of making another thing that of Diablo.
* Blizzard has l' intention to further push the co-operation between the players still. Little d' infos on this subject, as for step badly of points d' elsewhere, which is relatively normal since the play was announced a few hours ago only. * The engine 3D new and is entirely made house.
* S' is not known; it s' acts of the play which bore code name " Hydra". Blizzard does not wish to communicate on this subject.
* The development started… in 2001.
* Blizzard does not want to give any infos concerning PvP yet. Not badly of players indeed hope to see Diablo III launching the frankness in l' universe of the PvP competitions. But apart from the fact that the play will support PvP of course, not d' infos precise.
* Blizzard does not know yet how much players will be able to play together in a part. That will depend primarily on the gameplay. Technically, it n' there really limit for Diablo III does not have, but the developers realize qu' well; to have 20 characters with l' screen is ingÃ©rable. Therefore, if the play is perfect with 4 players, He well they will be 4. But that can also be 6 or 10. All will depend on the tests.
* The play will be PC compatible and Mac, c' is a certainty.
* The play will not have classes badly, but no figure can be advanced aujourd' today. In any case, there will be versions male and female classes.
* The monsters will be able to be also played it co-operative. Some will help the others by covering them with their shield. It will be to the players to find the parade by avoiding the seconds or by breaking their shield. Approximately, the monsters will be intelligent and will not be simple barriers which you must cut down to pass to l' following screen.
* Not d' infos in connection with the talents or trees of competences, c' is too early. But Blizzard studies various possibilities for the aptitudes.
* Blizzard realizes that well Trading Post current n' is not ideal for the d' exchanges; objects between players. S' can thus; to wait frank improvements for this part of the play. Quelqu' d' spoke; Auction House, that the players of WoW know well, but Blizzard l' did not confirm.
* The players will be able to perhaps see their characters via the site of Blizzard, with the manner of l' Arms manufacture of World off Warcraft. Nothing sure, but c' is a possibility.
* Even if Bill Roper and not badly of guy of North Blizzard are not there any more, Blizzard sought to keep the same spirit as for the two preceding episodes. Qu' should not be forgotten; a person is not enough to make such a play. They are tens of people who take part in it and one cannot summarize a play with one or some people, this without calling into question all that Bill Roper and its accomplices did for Diablo.
* Blizzard n' fear does not have that Diablo III competes with off World Warcraft. With more than 10 d' million; subscribers, the play still has much margin. Moreover, while passing from WoW with D3, the players remain at Blizzard, and c' is all that imports for the developers.
* The system of difficulties (nightmare, hell) should make its return. But perhaps in another form.
* Battle.net will be of return, with enormously d' improvements. However, one n' in does not know much more and as for StarCraft II, certain rumours of paying functionalities make already surface.
* During the parts, the players will be regularly confronted with scriptÃ©s special events: many attacks sudden goules, gigantic monsters (l' one of the monsters proposed was larger than Duriel and it s' however d' did not act; a boss of end of level), etc Blizzard will establish Ã©gamelement, in Diablo III, the " Adventures alÃ©atoires". This one will be able to arrive n' import where in the play and can for example take the form d' a house in which a family is attacked by a horde d' enemies. You will be able to also fall on houses given up in lequelles you will have to do something of precis.
* It n' there will probably not have mountings, quite simply because the developers do not see for what that can be used. * Nothing final for the maximum level, but Blizzard thinks of the possibility of being able to exceed the 100 this times.
* The goal of Blizzard is to develop a gameplay and to give a look to the play which will enable him to last of long years.
* The RPG side of the play will be improved. Even if l' action will remain the main feature of the play, the RPG side and l' history will be more thorough so that the player feels to the maximum implied in the events.
* Contrary to Diablo 1& 2, the bar of short cuts will propose competences rather than the potions. Blizzard wishes that the players use more competences qu' previously, especially that the monsters will be varied and intelligent. In DiabloII, when a character is surrounded by monsters, the solution is generally of drinking potions. In D3, you will be able to use your competences. In short, it will be necessary to be more varied in l' use of the aptitudes.
* Blizzard will establish a system of division of potions for the groups, of qu' kind; a barbarian who takes many damage could be neat by another player. The goal is in particular d' to avoid the idle periods between the engagements. You thus with incredible combat wait putting in scene tens of monsters. * These monsters will be varied than previously. Some will have special characteristics. I think for example of a monster which is more vulnerable when it misses its attack.
* It will be possible d' to exchange objects between two characters d' the same account ^^ * Blizzard does not know this qu' yet; it will occur of the Hardcore mode… The decision will be made later.
* At the base, Blizzard set out again to zero for the classes, one does not know yet which will be taken again of DiabloII, with l' exception of the barbarian who was revealed of course. The Wizard-Doctor, seen in the video of gameplay, resembles NÃ©cromancien a little because it can explode corpses and can call upon different familiar. But NÃ©cromancien such as you l' knew n' do not exist. D' elsewhere, Blizzard so much well done thinks it in DiabloII qu' he does not think of being able l' to improve. He could thus not find himself in DiabloIII. * Contrary to World off Warcraft, all the objects will be available for all the players. No object will require a large group for the dÃ©goter.
* The play will support DirectX 9, pas DirectX 10.
* The safety of Battle.net will be reinforced, the goal being to minimize l' impact of the cheaters. * Blizzard does not envisage d' editor of charts for DiabloIII, quite simply because it would be very complex.
* Concerning the words runic… No comments for l' moment ^^ As you can see it, Blizzard remains very evasive on many points. But d' after what j' could see during the demonstration of gameplay, DiabloIII is DiabloII power 10: an incredible impression of power of the characters, l' action not-stop, l' interaction avc the decorations (the barbarian could make fall a wall to get rid d' enemies), characteristics of the monsters (of which a monster which explodes and whose remainders form kinds of snakes which turn over on the player, or an immense monster which, once died, sending easily 30 skeletons on the players).
I do not resist l' either; envy to speak d' to you; a monster which took in its hands a player to decapitate it. The play also swarms with details in all the directions. But j' would have l' occasion of you to speak again about it