Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Nordic] Nvidia desperate for 55nm GT200
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Nordic] Nvidia desperate for 55nm GT200 - Page 6

post #51 of 58
man... it looks like nVidia will be ROLLED this round if they can't get that GPU out soon...

they shouldn't have been talking so much smack and bullying so much, cos now they need a strong fanbase - and the fanbase seems to be eroding to ATI kinda quickly...
Herschel
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K ASRock Z87M Extreme4 eVGA GTX 680 2GB 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x 60GB SSD 1x 500GB, 1x 640GB, 1x 1TB Asus something or other Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer H236HLbid (23" 1920x1080) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE198 (19". 1440x900) Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Seasonic X650 Antec P180 Mini White 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Herschel
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K ASRock Z87M Extreme4 eVGA GTX 680 2GB 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x 60GB SSD 1x 500GB, 1x 640GB, 1x 1TB Asus something or other Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Acer H236HLbid (23" 1920x1080) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VE198 (19". 1440x900) Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Seasonic X650 Antec P180 Mini White 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 58
Nvidia has been on top so long now, they have developed the invincibility syndrome. What they havent realized is that being the fastest doesn't mean that they are the best. They have their priorities wrong. People are more interested in price/performance. They are trying to ride their "on top" reputation for all its worth and it's not working like it used to. Nvidia seems delusional to that fact. People that are educated on the happenings with video cards see that they aren't any more. ATI really needs to take this momentum and run with it. I'm skeptical that they will market themselves well enough to keep the momentum up, so I have a feeling that this will be a flash-in-the-pan and nvidia will regain ground in about a year after some serious R&D spending.
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandh View Post
The 9800GTX and + are great cards, definitely competitive within their price range. I am just so impressed with the 4800 series compared to the 2900 series (3800 series being what it should have been) that I can't help but recommend them.

There are two reasons at this particular moment that I own the 9800GTX... the first- I live about an hour from evga and they have amongst the best customer service imo, and step-up which I have taken advantage of several times. The second reason is more petty... I like a black PCB. I am seriously drooling over the 4870X2, and if some more of the mainstream resellers go the way gainward did, I'll almost certainly be buying that card.
I think it is silly to recommend AMD just because you are impressed with their improvement. Would you recommend a Ford over a Honda, just because Ford got a lot better, but isn't necessarily the best? Thats silly.

Your point about tech support is valid. I don't know what all the fuss is about with EVGA, my experience hasn't been that great. In fact it has been quite poor. I don't see any point in buying a video card over its appearance.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 58
You know I just realized another reason they need 55nm, I dont think they could even attempt a GTX 280 GX2 with the massive cores of the current version, and even then, who knows.
I Love Cheese
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 3.4 Asus P8P67 Basic XFX 5970 2 gig Black Edition 2x 4 gig DDR 1600 G-Skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x500 gig WD Vista Ultimate 64-bit Dual 25" Hannspree LCD CM 750 Watt 
CaseMouse
Rosewill THOR Logitech Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
I Love Cheese
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 3.4 Asus P8P67 Basic XFX 5970 2 gig Black Edition 2x 4 gig DDR 1600 G-Skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x500 gig WD Vista Ultimate 64-bit Dual 25" Hannspree LCD CM 750 Watt 
CaseMouse
Rosewill THOR Logitech Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKromm View Post
I don't think any of the big Nvidia AIBs(BFG, EVGA, XFX) can jump ship, that would most likely go against their contract.

-EDIT-

IMHO there should have never been a 65nm GT200. They should have just lowered prices on G92 cards and then released 55nm GT200b and G92b when the process was mature and ready to go.
I completely agree. But then they would have lost even the single GPU crown for at least 2-3 months while they get that 55nm process ready. That would have sold a LOT of 4870s and I don't think they wanted that. I just don't think they were prepared for the 4870 to be this close to the 280 at half the price.

Rob
Endor-IV
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX 9650 9x400 @ stock volts 1.25v Gigabyte EX38-DS4 Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB 2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Seagate Barracuda 12 (7200.12) LG GSA-H42L Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 2493HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer/Microsoft Reclusa Huntkey F1 620W Huntkey H001 Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
Endor-IV
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX 9650 9x400 @ stock volts 1.25v Gigabyte EX38-DS4 Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB 2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Seagate Barracuda 12 (7200.12) LG GSA-H42L Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 2493HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer/Microsoft Reclusa Huntkey F1 620W Huntkey H001 Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
I think it is silly to recommend AMD just because you are impressed with their improvement. Would you recommend a Ford over a Honda, just because Ford got a lot better, but isn't necessarily the best? Thats silly.
Your analogy would've worked if the 4870 or even 4850 for that matter performed worse than a 9800gtx, but on every test with proper drivers I've seen, the 4800s have either smoked, or been at least on par with the 9800

So basically, If a Ford X is faster than a Honda Y, has better gas mileage, and costs less, I'm going to buy the Ford 100% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemaniaci View Post
You know I just realized another reason they need 55nm, I dont think they could even attempt a GTX 280 GX2 with the massive cores of the current version, and even then, who knows.
lol you just realized that?
Hopefully 55nm will allow nvidia to make a GX2-280, because from the looks of it, the 4870X2 is going to vastly outperform the GTX280, and a GX2-280 would keep the prices in both camps down... and I don't want to spend more than $500 on my 4870X2
Von Strauss
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5000x2 BE @ 3.2 ASUS M2R-32 MVP Sapphire HD4850 700/1100 2x1gb G.Skill HZs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD IDE lol LG DVD-RAM w/ Lightscribe Vista Ultimate 32-bit Sceptre, 1280x1024, 5ms 
PowerCase
Corsair TX 650W Enermax Chakra w/ 250mm Side Panel Fan 
  hide details  
Reply
Von Strauss
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5000x2 BE @ 3.2 ASUS M2R-32 MVP Sapphire HD4850 700/1100 2x1gb G.Skill HZs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD IDE lol LG DVD-RAM w/ Lightscribe Vista Ultimate 32-bit Sceptre, 1280x1024, 5ms 
PowerCase
Corsair TX 650W Enermax Chakra w/ 250mm Side Panel Fan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeDink View Post
Your analogy would've worked if the 4870 or even 4850 for that matter performed worse than a 9800gtx, but on every test with proper drivers I've seen, the 4800s have either smoked, or been at least on par with the 9800

So basically, If a Ford X is faster than a Honda Y, has better gas mileage, and costs less, I'm going to buy the Ford 100% of the time.



lol you just realized that?
Hopefully 55nm will allow nvidia to make a GX2-280, because from the looks of it, the 4870X2 is going to vastly outperform the GTX280, and a GX2-280 would keep the prices in both camps down... and I don't want to spend more than $500 on my 4870X2
Well I havent really been thinking about the 280/260 after i decided that I am through with nvidia.
I Love Cheese
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 3.4 Asus P8P67 Basic XFX 5970 2 gig Black Edition 2x 4 gig DDR 1600 G-Skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x500 gig WD Vista Ultimate 64-bit Dual 25" Hannspree LCD CM 750 Watt 
CaseMouse
Rosewill THOR Logitech Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
I Love Cheese
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k @ 3.4 Asus P8P67 Basic XFX 5970 2 gig Black Edition 2x 4 gig DDR 1600 G-Skill 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x500 gig WD Vista Ultimate 64-bit Dual 25" Hannspree LCD CM 750 Watt 
CaseMouse
Rosewill THOR Logitech Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemaniaci View Post
Well I havent really been thinking about the 280/260 after i decided that I am through with nvidia.
from your experience with your 780i board i dont blame ya
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2...  Gigabyte MB Model : GA-890FXA-UD5, NB : AMD 89... Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 775MHz 960 SPU... G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA... LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Su... XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler  Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Hanns-G 28'' 3ms Full HD 1080P 1920 x 1200LCD M... Samsung 19" 1440x900 Envision 22" 1680x1050 RAZER Lycosa Black USB Wired Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
TOPOWER Galaxis MX Series GAPS-500MX 500W ATX12... COOLER MASTER Storm Scout RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse... RocketFish (Speed+Control) 
Audio
Altec Lansing VS4221 2.1 35 Watts Three-Piece C... 
  hide details  
Reply
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2...  Gigabyte MB Model : GA-890FXA-UD5, NB : AMD 89... Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 775MHz 960 SPU... G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA... LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Su... XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler  Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Hanns-G 28'' 3ms Full HD 1080P 1920 x 1200LCD M... Samsung 19" 1440x900 Envision 22" 1680x1050 RAZER Lycosa Black USB Wired Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
TOPOWER Galaxis MX Series GAPS-500MX 500W ATX12... COOLER MASTER Storm Scout RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse... RocketFish (Speed+Control) 
Audio
Altec Lansing VS4221 2.1 35 Watts Three-Piece C... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Nordic] Nvidia desperate for 55nm GT200