Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [ZDNet] Overclocking tool enhances performance of Mac Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[ZDNet] Overclocking tool enhances performance of Mac Pro - Page 4

post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm252 View Post
don't give them any ideas.
last thing i want to see is someone trying to make an apple-shaped heatsink and call it the iCool

how tacky would that be?
yeah, but we all know it will happen eventually.....
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
People don't buy Macs for their horsepower..........LOL. Just as long as it looks pretty and they can pretend they're superior to other PC users....
One thing that annoys me, is posts like this..

Compare Apple to Dell or HP, not to CUSTOM PC's.

Hell, why do I even try, not like youll even understand that >_>..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
Anyways Mac dont need overclock because really OC is more for game which Macs lack at.
EA has ported quite a few games over to OSX actually, and I do NOT agree with that statement on OC'ing..

I game, but I dont OC. Why? Because my games play just fine. If my PC however ever needs a boost, thats when I will OC. Then there is people who OC just for records, or OC for fun and challenge, not just for gaming.
> Scotland
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE ASUS M4A89GTD 9600GT OC G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Cavier Black Lite-On SATA DVD+RW Windows 7 Professional Samsung BX2335 + Samsung 2253BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft FSP FX600-GLN-E Aspire X-Cruiser Razer Diamondback 3G 
Mouse Pad
Wacom Intuios 4 Medium 
  hide details  
Reply
> Scotland
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE ASUS M4A89GTD 9600GT OC G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Cavier Black Lite-On SATA DVD+RW Windows 7 Professional Samsung BX2335 + Samsung 2253BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft FSP FX600-GLN-E Aspire X-Cruiser Razer Diamondback 3G 
Mouse Pad
Wacom Intuios 4 Medium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFreeRollerX View Post
What happens if they get an error?

Do they get teh ASOD (Apple screen of death?)

Really though... what happens? Infinite scrolling wheels or what?
Is your mouth allergic to apple threads? Because it seems that whenever you come across one, it gets diarrhea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korosu View Post
Actually, the closest thing to a BSOD that Apple users get is.. The BBOD (Beach Ball of Death), AKA the Spinning Wait Cursor. I hate it more than the BSOD because you can never be 100% sure that your system has crashed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinning_wait_cursor
I'm always 100% sure my system ISN'T crashed when I get the beach ball... Because it never has in the 1 year and 2 weeks I've had it

Seriously speaking now: the equivalent of the BSOD would be a kernel panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMikeTheMike View Post
I don't see any need to overclock my Mac....I've got a PC for that.
Same here. I actually underclock mine by taking the battery out. That locks it at 1GHz, and I don't notice any difference unless I'm converting videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelouch View Post
Hell, why do I even try, not like youll even understand that >_>..
Exactly. I know how it is. You say one thing in one thread. They don't respond to it. Then they use the same line in another thread. You tell them, "But I just told you, <blah blah blah>!" They don't respond to it. Then they repeat the same catch line in another thread... Just forget it. Leave it for someone like me who never gets bored lol
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm252 View Post
don't give them any ideas.
last thing i want to see is someone trying to make an apple-shaped heatsink and call it the iCool

how tacky would that be?
Looooool. That would so happen too!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.24GHz w/ 1.36v (L724A760) Gigabyte P35-DS3R rev 1.0 EVGA GTX 285 1GB + ? BIOS (720c/1512s/1377m) 8GB G.Skill PQ @ 1000MHz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320GB 7200.11 Raid0 + 750GB 7200.11 for Storage Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung T260HD 1920x1200 + Samsung 226BW 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.24GHz w/ 1.36v (L724A760) Gigabyte P35-DS3R rev 1.0 EVGA GTX 285 1GB + ? BIOS (720c/1512s/1377m) 8GB G.Skill PQ @ 1000MHz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320GB 7200.11 Raid0 + 750GB 7200.11 for Storage Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung T260HD 1920x1200 + Samsung 226BW 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelouch View Post
One thing that annoys me, is posts like this..

Compare Apple to Dell or HP, not to CUSTOM PC's.

Hell, why do I even try, not like youll even understand that >_>..



EA has ported quite a few games over to OSX actually, and I do NOT agree with that statement on OC'ing..

I game, but I dont OC. Why? Because my games play just fine. If my PC however ever needs a boost, thats when I will OC. Then there is people who OC just for records, or OC for fun and challenge, not just for gaming.
You don't buy Dell or HP PCs for their horsepower either ...........hence why OCing requires software such as clockgen (and is a waste of time IMO.) I would mock clockgen or any other CPU overclocking utility in Windows as well....
How would I not understand that? I mean who ever said that I was comparing it to a custom PC? I just said that people don't buy Macs for their powerful hardware (i. e. horsepower), meaning that they buy them for OSX, easy to use video/audio editing, low-maintenance OS, or the pretty case....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post


Seriously speaking now: the equivalent of the BSOD would be a kernel panic.

I was thinking the same thing when I read his post......I've seen many kernal panics on SCO Unix servers, but I wasn't sure if OSX experienced this as well.....
Edited by binormalkilla - 6/29/08 at 9:23pm
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm252 View Post
don't give them any ideas.
last thing i want to see is someone trying to make an apple-shaped heatsink and call it the iCool

how tacky would that be?
+rep for that post. Quoting a ****ing epic post.
Blackbox.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 stock ASUS P5Q Pro Sapphire 4870 1GB 4x2GB G.Skill 800Mhz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250GB & 4x 640GB in Raid5 Vista 64-Bit 22'' Samsung 226BW & 17'' CMV 1280x1024 PC Power & Cooling S75QB 
CaseMouse
Antec Twelve Hundred MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
Blackbox.
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 stock ASUS P5Q Pro Sapphire 4870 1GB 4x2GB G.Skill 800Mhz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250GB & 4x 640GB in Raid5 Vista 64-Bit 22'' Samsung 226BW & 17'' CMV 1280x1024 PC Power & Cooling S75QB 
CaseMouse
Antec Twelve Hundred MX 518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 44
Shouldn't Oc'ing on a mac be really easy and safe to do when your inside the os? I mean, most have EFI dont they?
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyranite View Post
Shouldn't Oc'ing on a mac be really easy and safe to do when your inside the os? I mean, most have EFI dont they?
If there was software to OC within the OS to begin with, maybe. But how does an EFI make it easier? I really don't know how an EFI is much different than a BIOS.
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
If there was software to OC within the OS to begin with, maybe. But how does an EFI make it easier? I really don't know how an EFI is much different than a BIOS.
Doesnt EFI bring high level stuff like a BIOS down to a computer level. Ie. you can run instant messaging/web browsers without loading an os? I thought it was the new BIOS that bridged the gap between the interface and the OS/hard disk/whatever.
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyranite View Post
Doesnt EFI bring high level stuff like a BIOS down to a computer level. Ie. you can run instant messaging/web browsers without loading an os? I thought it was the new BIOS that bridged the gap between the interface and the OS/hard disk/whatever.
EFI is just a fancy "lets make our stuff sound special" name for BIOS. It performs the EXACT same functions.

Kind of like how they call their motherboards "logic boards".
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [ZDNet] Overclocking tool enhances performance of Mac Pro