Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › A few questions...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A few questions...

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hey,

I recently bought some new stuff and everything seems to be running fine.
I just have a few questions and I hope you guys can answer them for me.
Maybe a useful thing before I start, my drivers are the latest for all components, my videocard uses 177.41.

1) Does my CPU bottleneck my SLi setup? (It's currently at 3,5GHz).
Because when it runs at 3,2GHz I get a 3DMark06 score of ~14500 and when overclocked a little further it goes to ~15500. Or is this a normal increase?
Some people say it won't bottleneck at 3,0GHz and some say you need more than 3,8GHz..

2) My cards are at 640/1600/950 at stock. When OC'ed to 670/1675/975 I get no artifacts in ATi Tool. But when I push it to 700/1750/975 it makes quite a lot of artifacts.. What could be the cause of this? It seems like a moddest increase...

3) Last question, if I want to overclock my CPU, my RAM needs to be overclocked too. But because I have Valueram and my timings aren't that great. How will this effect my gaming performance?

Thanks in advance!
Warscythe
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k 4.4GHz @ 1.295V Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Gigabyte GTX1070 Gaming G1 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 500GB (M.2) + 3TB WD Green + 3TB WD... Custom Watercooling (CPU + GPU) Windows 10 Pro x64 2x LG IPS237L 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Anodized Black, Cherry Red Corsair RM750x Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Corsair Vengeance M65 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Warscythe
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k 4.4GHz @ 1.295V Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Gigabyte GTX1070 Gaming G1 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 500GB (M.2) + 3TB WD Green + 3TB WD... Custom Watercooling (CPU + GPU) Windows 10 Pro x64 2x LG IPS237L 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Anodized Black, Cherry Red Corsair RM750x Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Corsair Vengeance M65 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
1) it bottlenecks a little you should buy a dual core!!!
because your video card it very powerfull in SLI and the cpu is slowing your system down when playing games and things like that!!Try to overclock your cpu and put a little more ovr voltage in it see what happens if the games are running better that's it you need a dual core or you let it like that in overclock try to get your cpu to 3.6.......3.7!!!
2)Overclocking your freq at your video card......the problem is heat check your temp or post a picture when you overclock your video card and the temp so i can see what's the problem!!i think it's the temp of the video card!!!
3)overclock your cpu but do not overclock your rams!!just raise a little the voltage of the cpu and tha problem should solve!!!!


Tk
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.2 Ghz (1.5v) Washer Mod Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Evga GTX 480 6 GB DDR 2 Kingmax 800 Mhz (stock) 1000 Mhz (OC) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1000 GB (Raid-0) & WD 200 GB & Hitachi 160 GB LG DVD-RW ThermalRight Extreme 120 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 24"' Full HD Serioux Corsair HX 520 W SAGITTA Raidmax 
MouseMouse PadAudio
bloody Gun3v3 Gaming X 7 Realtek HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Tk
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.2 Ghz (1.5v) Washer Mod Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Evga GTX 480 6 GB DDR 2 Kingmax 800 Mhz (stock) 1000 Mhz (OC) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1000 GB (Raid-0) & WD 200 GB & Hitachi 160 GB LG DVD-RW ThermalRight Extreme 120 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 24"' Full HD Serioux Corsair HX 520 W SAGITTA Raidmax 
MouseMouse PadAudio
bloody Gun3v3 Gaming X 7 Realtek HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
1) this increase is mainly due to the CPU tests

2) it is possible you might want to look into a volt mod, or if it is heat ( there the gpu's would need to be hitting around 90C+ get better coolers.

3) if you can, lower the FSB:MEM ratio. if not start saving, and OC them until they die
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzye View Post
1) it bottlenecks a little you should buy a dual core!!!
because your video card it very powerfull in SLI and the cpu is slowing your system down when playing games and things like that!!Try to overclock your cpu and put a little more ovr voltage in it see what happens if the games are running better that's it you need a dual core or you let it like that in overclock try to get your cpu to 3.6.......3.7!!!
2)Overclocking your freq at your video card......the problem is heat check your temp or post a picture when you overclock your video card and the temp so i can see what's the problem!!i think it's the temp of the video card!!!
3)overclock your cpu but do not overclock your rams!!just raise a little the voltage of the cpu and tha problem should solve!!!!


1) I have a dualcore.. It's an E6750 ^^
2) No it's not the temperature, when I overclock the cards the temperature increase like 1 or 2C at load.
3) I thought running FSB:RAM 1:1 gives best performance on Intel systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinoxide View Post
1) this increase is mainly due to the CPU tests

2) it is possible you might want to look into a volt mod, or if it is heat ( there the gpu's would need to be hitting around 90C+ get better coolers.

3) if you can, lower the FSB:MEM ratio. if not start saving, and OC them until they die
1) Okey so the increase is normal.. thanks ^^
2) I rather don't want to risk a voltmod, I already have one on one card, but I rather don't do that one my other because my other card is new! My cards get 70C at max, and when overclocked it goes to ~72C
3) Like I said above, don't Intel system perform best at 1:1? But it is possible though.

But will higher timings effect gaming performance much?
Warscythe
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k 4.4GHz @ 1.295V Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Gigabyte GTX1070 Gaming G1 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 500GB (M.2) + 3TB WD Green + 3TB WD... Custom Watercooling (CPU + GPU) Windows 10 Pro x64 2x LG IPS237L 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Anodized Black, Cherry Red Corsair RM750x Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Corsair Vengeance M65 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Warscythe
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k 4.4GHz @ 1.295V Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Gigabyte GTX1070 Gaming G1 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 500GB (M.2) + 3TB WD Green + 3TB WD... Custom Watercooling (CPU + GPU) Windows 10 Pro x64 2x LG IPS237L 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Anodized Black, Cherry Red Corsair RM750x Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Corsair Vengeance M65 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
1) No your CPU should not be bottle necking your set up. The increase in 3dmark06 is due to the fact that it is incredibly CPU dependent. In gaming however, there should be no noticeable difference.

2) You have just pushed it past its limit. It might mean it's getting a little warm.

3) Timings are important but not that important. I think the nvidia boards have an option to run it in "Unlinked" mode so you can maintain the stock timings.
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NrGx View Post
1) No your CPU should not be bottle necking your set up. The increase in 3dmark06 is due to the fact that it is incredibly CPU dependent. In gaming however, there should be no noticeable difference.

2) You have just pushed it past its limit. It might mean it's getting a little warm.

3) Timings are important but not that important. I think the nvidia boards have an option to run it in "Unlinked" mode so you can maintain the stock timings.
Thanks you made this a much clearer
I know I can run them unlinked But if I change the 1:1 FSB:RAM, shouldn't I see a decrease in speed?
Warscythe
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k 4.4GHz @ 1.295V Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Gigabyte GTX1070 Gaming G1 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 500GB (M.2) + 3TB WD Green + 3TB WD... Custom Watercooling (CPU + GPU) Windows 10 Pro x64 2x LG IPS237L 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Anodized Black, Cherry Red Corsair RM750x Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Corsair Vengeance M65 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Warscythe
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k 4.4GHz @ 1.295V Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Gigabyte GTX1070 Gaming G1 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 500GB (M.2) + 3TB WD Green + 3TB WD... Custom Watercooling (CPU + GPU) Windows 10 Pro x64 2x LG IPS237L 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 Anodized Black, Cherry Red Corsair RM750x Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Corsair Vengeance M65 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › A few questions...