Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Mac › 64 bit Vista on iMac
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

64 bit Vista on iMac - Page 2

post #11 of 30
Setup spaces if you haven't done it already. Multiple desktops is one of the only real improvements to GUI's that has cropped up in the past few years.
It goes to eleven
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6300 DS3 EVGA 8600GTS 2GB XMS2 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1.294 TB Arch Linux/XP Samsung 226bw Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 520HX Lian-Li v1000B Plus G7 
  hide details  
Reply
It goes to eleven
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6300 DS3 EVGA 8600GTS 2GB XMS2 DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1.294 TB Arch Linux/XP Samsung 226bw Eclipse II 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair 520HX Lian-Li v1000B Plus G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 30
Thread Starter 
Yes, I read about Spaces, and I'm looking forward to playing with it. I discovered "Grapher" today and was graphing all kinds of weird equations. I was almost wishing that I wasn't done with all my math classes
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Asus P67 Sabertooth Asus 6950 2GB Corsair Vengeance 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 320 series 160GB Asus BW-12B1LT Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple wired Corsair AX850 Corsair 650D some Microsoft mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Asus P67 Sabertooth Asus 6950 2GB Corsair Vengeance 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 320 series 160GB Asus BW-12B1LT Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple wired Corsair AX850 Corsair 650D some Microsoft mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpipe View Post
Yes, I read about Spaces, and I'm looking forward to playing with it. I discovered "Grapher" today and was graphing all kinds of weird equations. I was almost wishing that I wasn't done with all my math classes
I cannot tell you how unbelievably helpful Grapher has been for my calc class (of which I am taking right now). The program is SO smart. If you think you can write it, you most definitely can. Example: hmm... dy over dx... I should be able to just type dy/dx... BOOM, it automatically chooses "Hey, he want's a derivative!"

Take that as an example of the quality of apple software.
post #14 of 30
Thread Starter 
In a way, the hardest thing has been...having two computers.


I didn't get the Mac because of any dissatisfaction with Windows. In fact, I love my 64-bit Vista. I love the iMac, too. So I have two nice new computers here on my desk. I didn't know how I'd feel about the glossy screen on the iMac, but I love it. It really looks fantastic. And I'm starting to find my way around OS X. The performance on the iMac is very nice (or so it seems from my limited use so far).

Thunderbird (9 accounts, lots of email) is on the PC. I'd love to try that on the Mac too, but splitting my mail like that seems like a recipe for disaster...it's got to be either/or. All my music, videos, etc. are on the PC. The external HD is on the PC. The speakers+subwoofer are connected to the PC. If I start putting a bunch of music etc. on the Mac, it makes more sense to hook the speakers up to it rather than the PC. If I do that, then I'll probably never use the PC. But I enjoy using Vista, and my PC. And there's applications that I haven't found acceptable (to me) Mac counterparts for. Maybe because I'm just used to using something else. Anyway I don't want to have to chose between the two. But what am I going to do, have two computers and sets of speakers at my desk and go back and forth been the two? That's a little over-the-top

It thought it would be really cool, but like song goes, mo computers mo problems (apologies to Notorious B.I.G.). Having my computing situation up in the air is more of a stress more than anything. I know, I could have worse problems...call me the waaaaaambulance...
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Asus P67 Sabertooth Asus 6950 2GB Corsair Vengeance 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 320 series 160GB Asus BW-12B1LT Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple wired Corsair AX850 Corsair 650D some Microsoft mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Asus P67 Sabertooth Asus 6950 2GB Corsair Vengeance 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 320 series 160GB Asus BW-12B1LT Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple wired Corsair AX850 Corsair 650D some Microsoft mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 30
I was in the same situation as you. But then I just ended up choosing the Mac for "everything else" lol

I really recommend the Mac for media. I think OSX has a better sound system than windows and Linux, for that matter. It's "Intel HDA," but I guess the software system is different; I know it sounds way better than my creative live or creative audigy 4. Others have said this as well, but you should try for yourself first.

What programs are you looking for that you haven't found good ones for on the Mac?
post #16 of 30
Thread Starter 
OK, here are a couple of the problems that I'm currently having/anticipating:


1) Image viewing/manipulation

I do not have extreme image editing needs, but I need a little more than is offered in iPhoto (although I liked the simplicity of some of the edits in iPhoto).

On the PC, I use Irfanview for a quick resizing. For more significant editing, I use Paint.net and a similar free program. I tried GIMP once, and found it a little complicated for me (compared to what I was used to) and I didn't really stick with it. I've gotten the impression that GIMP is the "preferred" free image editor for Mac, but the installation and use seem complicated , with numerous Mac-specific quirks (I've noticed that I'm a little more hesitant to tinker with the Mac to get things to work, compared to the PC, at least at this point).

http://darwingimp.sourceforge.net/howto.html

http://darwingimp.sourceforge.net/gu...stall_leopard/

And all this for an application that I'm not all that comfortable with in the first place. I would prefer something that "just works," if that's possible. I guess I could learn to love GIMP if I have to, though...


By the way, I'm curious about something with viewing photos in Preview. Say I open a photo in Preview, from a folder of images. When I click "Previous" or "Next" to go to the previous or next photo, nothing happens. Is there something I'm missing here?




2) File splitting/joining

From sites like Rapidshare et al., you often get files that are in parts (.001, .002, etc.). I understand you can join these from the command line, but I'm looking for the simplified user experience. So you have to use something like hjsplit (what I'm currently using on Vista), which couldn't be more simple:

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

They also have a link a file splitter/joiner for Mac

http://www.xs4all.nl/~loekjehe/Split&Concat/

but the page says it might not work in Leopard. I also found something called MacHacha. I haven't tried either yet for myself because I haven't had any files to join yet, and it also goes back to my general apprehensions about the Mac and getting too adventurous on it...I'd rather get personal recommendations than explore for myself too much at this point





As always, thank you for the assistance!
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Asus P67 Sabertooth Asus 6950 2GB Corsair Vengeance 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 320 series 160GB Asus BW-12B1LT Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple wired Corsair AX850 Corsair 650D some Microsoft mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Asus P67 Sabertooth Asus 6950 2GB Corsair Vengeance 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 320 series 160GB Asus BW-12B1LT Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple wired Corsair AX850 Corsair 650D some Microsoft mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpipe View Post
OK, here are a couple of the problems that I'm currently having/anticipating:


1) Image viewing/manipulation

I do not have extreme image editing needs, but I need a little more than is offered in iPhoto (although I liked the simplicity of some of the edits in iPhoto).
iPhoto is an album program, like a digital photo organizer. It's not meant to be an image manipulator; it only does minor touchups like a photo booth at a mall or one of those kodak machines at a grocery store would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpipe View Post
On the PC, I use Irfanview for a quick resizing. For more significant editing, I use Paint.net and a similar free program. I tried GIMP once, and found it a little complicated for me (compared to what I was used to) and I didn't really stick with it. I've gotten the impression that GIMP is the "preferred" free image editor for Mac, but the installation and use seem complicated , with numerous Mac-specific quirks (I've noticed that I'm a little more hesitant to tinker with the Mac to get things to work, compared to the PC, at least at this point).
You can use Preview to crop, but I'm not sure about resizing. Personally, I do resizing and touchups with PS CS2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpipe View Post
And all this for an application that I'm not all that comfortable with in the first place. I would prefer something that "just works," if that's possible. I guess I could learn to love GIMP if I have to, though...
I also have The GIMP. All you have to do is:

1. Install X11 (the same X Window System used for Linux) from your OSX Install Disc 1 (it's in Optional Installs)
2. Download The GIMP's .dmg and drag it to your /Applications folder.

For resizing and stuff, The GIMP should do it for you. Of course it's not as snazzy as PS, but for the purposes you mentioned, it should do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpipe View Post
By the way, I'm curious about something with viewing photos in Preview. Say I open a photo in Preview, from a folder of images. When I click "Previous" or "Next" to go to the previous or next photo, nothing happens. Is there something I'm missing here?
That's because you've only opened one photo. It's not like XP's previewer thing where it's integrated into the Explorer. Preview is a totally different app that's not integrated into Finder. So if you wanted to view the group of photos, you could select them all and then open them with Preview. Then all of the pics would go into the sidebar of Preview, and you can go through them with Next/Previous.

Alternatively, and I think this is much faster, you could use Quick Look. This is one of the new features integrated into Leopard. If you're not looking to do any editing and just want to quickly look at a photo or song or document or whatever, you can just click the file (or group of files) and hit space (or hit the Quick Look "Eye" button in the Finder Toolbar). You'll get a pop-up of whatever it is you selected. It's a fast way to look at a file without having to open up a program for it. It works on images, songs, movies/videos, text documents, and many other files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpipe View Post
2) File splitting/joining

From sites like Rapidshare et al., you often get files that are in parts (.001, .002, etc.). I understand you can join these from the command line, but I'm looking for the simplified user experience. So you have to use something like hjsplit (what I'm currently using on Vista), which couldn't be more simple:

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

They also have a link a file splitter/joiner for Mac

http://www.xs4all.nl/~loekjehe/Split&Concat/

but the page says it might not work in Leopard. I also found something called MacHacha. I haven't tried either yet for myself because I haven't had any files to join yet, and it also goes back to my general apprehensions about the Mac and getting too adventurous on it...I'd rather get personal recommendations than explore for myself too much at this point

As always, thank you for the assistance!
I've never had any experience with this type of program. I never even knew anything like this existed lol

You'll have to try one out and tell us
post #18 of 30
Thread Starter 
Thanks again...so far, so good. Preview makes sense to me now, and Quick Look seems useful. I installed X11 and GIMP. One thing seems weird to me, though...look at the GIMP icon in the Applications folder. The white circle with the line though it imparts that "you did something wrong" look to it. I used GIMP to create this excellent graphic which I have attached, though, so maybe it's OK
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Asus P67 Sabertooth Asus 6950 2GB Corsair Vengeance 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 320 series 160GB Asus BW-12B1LT Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple wired Corsair AX850 Corsair 650D some Microsoft mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Asus P67 Sabertooth Asus 6950 2GB Corsair Vengeance 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 320 series 160GB Asus BW-12B1LT Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple wired Corsair AX850 Corsair 650D some Microsoft mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 30
Not sure what that icon means. Maybe the icon didn't copy over for some reason? Well, I have some apps that don't have icons, but they don't have the circle/slash in em...

To change icons, go to "Get Info," and click the icon in the upper left, hit copy, go to the file/program/object you want to change, "Get Info," click the icon, hit paste. If you can't copy an object's icon because it has no icon (but it's still a picture file), open up the "from" picture in Preview, select all, copy, then "Get Info" on the destination icon, click it's icon in the upper left, hit paste.

But I guess if it works, it works.
post #20 of 30
Thread Starter 
FYI...the icons changed to the "normal" versions after I restarted (the same thing happened with Thunderbird).


I transferred about 80GB of music (yes, I really have all the CDs!) to the Mac, and connected the good speakers to it, thus completing another step in the transformation. I know I'm going to want to get an external HD for the Mac soon. Are there any special considerations with buying a HD for a Mac, or is it just...whatever?


I really like spaces. I'm working on coming up on a configuration that makes sense for me. I started out with a row of four:

___ Firefox ___ iTunes

I'm usually working in the Firefox space, and applications that start to clutter it can get pushed to the open space on either side. Then there's iTunes all the way on the right. I even added a hot corner to access the spaces.

<<me
Edited by xpipe - 7/13/08 at 5:17pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Asus P67 Sabertooth Asus 6950 2GB Corsair Vengeance 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 320 series 160GB Asus BW-12B1LT Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple wired Corsair AX850 Corsair 650D some Microsoft mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K Asus P67 Sabertooth Asus 6950 2GB Corsair Vengeance 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 320 series 160GB Asus BW-12B1LT Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2711 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple wired Corsair AX850 Corsair 650D some Microsoft mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Mac › 64 bit Vista on iMac