Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [NH]Intel carries 200 Gbps with a beam of light
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[NH]Intel carries 200 Gbps with a beam of light - Page 2

post #11 of 23
if we can put 200gbs down a single beam of light why not use say 1000 beams of light (still woundnt that be really small?) ....

couldnt we reinvent most computer parts for this? lets say ram??? optical ram would be sick - need a special mobo for it but...

lol
Not So Tiny Ivy
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 3570k Asus P8Z77-M Pro EVGA Nvidia GTX Titan GsKIll 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 WD Green LG Super Multi 24x DVD-RW/CD-RW Combo Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Auria 27" 1440p IPS Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid Rocketfish 900 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 iOne Lynx S2 EVGA "Game Pad" Mobo + Crappy 25 Watt Coby 2.1 Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Not So Tiny Ivy
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I5 3570k Asus P8Z77-M Pro EVGA Nvidia GTX Titan GsKIll 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 WD Green LG Super Multi 24x DVD-RW/CD-RW Combo Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Auria 27" 1440p IPS Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid Rocketfish 900 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 iOne Lynx S2 EVGA "Game Pad" Mobo + Crappy 25 Watt Coby 2.1 Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerhz View Post
Only with the Crysis hacks, lol. Is there anything that will max it out?
Tri SLI GTX280's can max it out
Old Bessy
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 635 Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2H Refence ATI 4870 2x2GB El Cheapo 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
80GB Main 1TB Storage Stock Win 7 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Arctosa Antec VP-450 Antec 300 Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
Old Bessy
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 635 Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2H Refence ATI 4870 2x2GB El Cheapo 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
80GB Main 1TB Storage Stock Win 7 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Arctosa Antec VP-450 Antec 300 Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
200 Gbps = 25 GBps
Gigabit
GigaByte
Quote:
A recent paper describes how Intel engineers have been able to split a beam of light into eight separate beams, or channels if you will, where each sub-beam would be encoded by a modulator capable of transforming up to 25Gbps of data into light. The eight sub-streams are then merged into one main stream again. They haven't been able to test it with all eight modules at once though, but only one at a time.
Next time read before you make yourself look stupid.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis View Post
Thats cool and all, but, will it blend? Better yet, will it max out Crysis?
Better still, is it compatible with a Mac??
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.24GHz w/ 1.36v (L724A760) Gigabyte P35-DS3R rev 1.0 EVGA GTX 285 1GB + ? BIOS (720c/1512s/1377m) 8GB G.Skill PQ @ 1000MHz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320GB 7200.11 Raid0 + 750GB 7200.11 for Storage Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung T260HD 1920x1200 + Samsung 226BW 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.24GHz w/ 1.36v (L724A760) Gigabyte P35-DS3R rev 1.0 EVGA GTX 285 1GB + ? BIOS (720c/1512s/1377m) 8GB G.Skill PQ @ 1000MHz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320GB 7200.11 Raid0 + 750GB 7200.11 for Storage Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung T260HD 1920x1200 + Samsung 226BW 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhahahaha View Post
Better still, is it compatible with a Mac??
only os 9
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru000 View Post
if we can put 200gbs down a single beam of light why not use say 1000 beams of light (still woundnt that be really small?) ....
Sounds good to me haha although they dont even know if all 8 beams will work together nevermind 8000
post #17 of 23
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rduffy123 View Post
First of all its only done 25 gbps. Secondly its only for servers and isp companys so it doesnt really effect you directly. Internet speeds arent going to increase because of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rduffy123 View Post
Next time read before you make yourself look stupid.
Quote:
A recent paper describes how Intel engineers have been able to split a beam of light into eight separate beams, or channels if you will, where each sub-beam would be encoded by a modulator capable of transforming up to 25Gbps of data into light. The eight sub-streams are then merged into one main stream again.
25 X 8 = 200.

Le gasp, its 200Gbps on a single beam of light, like the article says. It doesnt matter if each single beam is 25 Gbps, end result may very well be 200Gbps.

The actual results will be published soon it says, saying that its "only done 25Gbps" isnt exactly fair to say, because it still isnt fully tested. However, i have no question that it will do what they intend it to do.

Also, this does matter, because speeds CAN increase because of it. All the internet is, is simply a bunch of cables, routers, and switches. The faster the connections, the faster the speeds between all of those, which allows you to have faster connectin speeds.
Edited by Lelouch - 7/7/08 at 4:01pm
> Scotland
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE ASUS M4A89GTD 9600GT OC G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Cavier Black Lite-On SATA DVD+RW Windows 7 Professional Samsung BX2335 + Samsung 2253BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft FSP FX600-GLN-E Aspire X-Cruiser Razer Diamondback 3G 
Mouse Pad
Wacom Intuios 4 Medium 
  hide details  
Reply
> Scotland
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE ASUS M4A89GTD 9600GT OC G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Cavier Black Lite-On SATA DVD+RW Windows 7 Professional Samsung BX2335 + Samsung 2253BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft FSP FX600-GLN-E Aspire X-Cruiser Razer Diamondback 3G 
Mouse Pad
Wacom Intuios 4 Medium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelouch View Post
.





25 X 8 = 200.

Le gasp, its 200Gbps on a single beam of light, like the article says. It doesnt matter if each single beam is 25 Gbps, end result may very well be 200Gbps.

The actual results will be published soon it says, saying that its "only done 25Gbps" isnt exactly fair to say, because it still isnt fully tested. However, i have no question that it will do what they intend it to do.

Also, this does matter, because speeds CAN increase because of it. All the internet is, is simply a bunch of cables, routers, and switches. The faster the connections, the faster the speeds between all of those, which allows you to have faster connectin speeds.
Whiile that is true, you have realize that the isps control how much speed they give you. Its not like they couldnt increase speeds if they had more servers but they overload them anyways.
post #19 of 23
what do you expect? light travels at 340 m/s through air, so converted to data terms, that pretty fast. but this light tech has been around for the last few years....
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rduffy123 View Post
Whiile that is true, you have realize that the isps control how much speed they give you. Its not like they couldnt increase speeds if they had more servers but they overload them anyways.
LOL, most of you in this thread don't seem to understand that this technology is not about data transmission over the Internet, it is about transmission on a chip (read: an experimental processor architecture design). It has nothing to do with the Internet. The idea of using "light" to transmit data on a microchip is nothing new -- this is simply a new schematic for it. Even if this technology was about the Internet, the speed of light has NOTHING to do with the amount of data carried. You are confusing bandwidth with physical speed. They are not the same.

Fiber optics is what is used for the Internet, and is a technology 40 years old. Fiber is nothing but transmissions of electromagnetism on a certain wavelength (light). Twisted copper also transmits light (aka electromagnetism), but at a different and less efficient wavelength. Light = electromagnetism. Physics 101.

Secondly, ISP's can't increase speeds ad infinitum, even if they had "more servers." They still have to purchase their backbone access from Tier 1 providers, so ultimately the Internet's maximum data transmission depends on the technology used at the backbone. Unless the ISP happens to be a Tier 1 provider (very few are), they really have no control over this. This is not to say that the ISP's can't improve their internal network -- they can -- but ultimately they are limited by the backbone.

If you want to delve into REALLY cutting edge stuff, read up on quantum computing. Even though the idea for a quantum computer has been around for at least 40-50 years, it has yet to be successfully demonstrated (on a large and useful scale). Whoever can build the first one and prove it's efficacy will undoubtedly win a Nobel prize. Even if Intel can make the technology discussed in the article work, it won't even begin to compare to the power of a quantum computer. The only question is, will the government develop one secretly? This is very likely. If they do, they will have access to any data in the world they please (even encrypted data). Breaking even the strongest classical ciphers will be child's play for quantum computers (AES, RSA, etc. will be easily broken).
Edited by thiussat - 7/10/08 at 12:54am
Skylake Build
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600k Gigabyte Z-170 Gaming 7 Gigabyte R9 390  Gskill Ripjaws V DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo Corsair H115i Windows 10 Pro Asus  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic EVGA NEX750 G1 Phanteks Eclipse P400 GSkill MX780 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake Build
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600k Gigabyte Z-170 Gaming 7 Gigabyte R9 390  Gskill Ripjaws V DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo Corsair H115i Windows 10 Pro Asus  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic EVGA NEX750 G1 Phanteks Eclipse P400 GSkill MX780 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [NH]Intel carries 200 Gbps with a beam of light