Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [INQ]Nvidia plays the meltdown blame game
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[INQ]Nvidia plays the meltdown blame game - Page 4

post #31 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
You can't say "truce" then make another retort.

And there is no requirement for them to be expressing certain emotions in the definition of "complain", other than to show they are dissatisfied with something. And they clearly are.
lol I made my statement, then asked if we could agree to disagree and THEN said truce.

com·plain
–verb (used without object)
1.to express dissatisfaction, pain, uneasiness, censure, resentment, or grief;

are they dissatisfied? sure, but they aren't expressing it. Are they in some sort of pain? Probably, but they aren't expressing it. Uneasiness resentment, or grief? Yes, most likely all of the above, but they aren't expressing it.

They are just stating facts.

And if you reread the definition of complain, the first two words are "To Express"

So yes, there is a "requirement" to express one of those feelings if you are going to complain.
Von Strauss
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5000x2 BE @ 3.2 ASUS M2R-32 MVP Sapphire HD4850 700/1100 2x1gb G.Skill HZs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD IDE lol LG DVD-RAM w/ Lightscribe Vista Ultimate 32-bit Sceptre, 1280x1024, 5ms 
PowerCase
Corsair TX 650W Enermax Chakra w/ 250mm Side Panel Fan 
  hide details  
Reply
Von Strauss
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5000x2 BE @ 3.2 ASUS M2R-32 MVP Sapphire HD4850 700/1100 2x1gb G.Skill HZs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD IDE lol LG DVD-RAM w/ Lightscribe Vista Ultimate 32-bit Sceptre, 1280x1024, 5ms 
PowerCase
Corsair TX 650W Enermax Chakra w/ 250mm Side Panel Fan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeDink View Post
lol I made my statement, then asked if we could agree to disagree and THEN said truce.

com·plain
–verb (used without object)
1.to express dissatisfaction, pain, uneasiness, censure, resentment, or grief;

are they dissatisfied? sure, but they aren't expressing it. Are they in some sort of pain? Probably, but they aren't expressing it. Uneasiness resentment, or grief? Yes, most likely all of the above, but they aren't expressing it.

They are just stating facts.

And if you reread the definition of complain, the first two words are "To Express"

So yes, there is a "requirement" to express one of those feelings if you are going to complain.
Express dissatisfaction. That IS the expression.

You honestly don't think they aren't showing any kind of dissatisfaction in there statement?

Quote:
to express dissatisfaction, pain, uneasiness, censure, resentment, OR grief;
Notice the highlighted "OR". ANY of those things ALONE can be complaining. Pain, uneasiness, censure, resentment, or grief aren't requirements.
Edited by Choggs396 - 7/7/08 at 4:39pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
Express dissatisfaction. That IS the expression.

You honestly don't think they aren't showing any kind of dissatisfaction in there statement?



Notice the highlighted "OR". ANY of those things ALONE can be complaining. Pain, uneasiness, censure, resentment, or grief aren't requirements.
no, they aren't expressing any thing at all.

If I told you the sky is blue, am I expressing any emotion?

no.

If I tell you a computer chips failure is most-likely due to improper thermal management, I am not expressing any emotion either, I'm simply stating a fact.

no dissatisfaction, no grief, no resentment. None.


I think Nvidia is dissatisfied to hell, and with good reason. and I'm with you on that, I'm sure they are really hating life right now. But the fact is, in the parts of their public statement that you outlined, and that the OP talked about. There are no emotions conveyed.
Edited by HugeDink - 7/7/08 at 4:54pm
Von Strauss
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5000x2 BE @ 3.2 ASUS M2R-32 MVP Sapphire HD4850 700/1100 2x1gb G.Skill HZs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD IDE lol LG DVD-RAM w/ Lightscribe Vista Ultimate 32-bit Sceptre, 1280x1024, 5ms 
PowerCase
Corsair TX 650W Enermax Chakra w/ 250mm Side Panel Fan 
  hide details  
Reply
Von Strauss
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5000x2 BE @ 3.2 ASUS M2R-32 MVP Sapphire HD4850 700/1100 2x1gb G.Skill HZs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD IDE lol LG DVD-RAM w/ Lightscribe Vista Ultimate 32-bit Sceptre, 1280x1024, 5ms 
PowerCase
Corsair TX 650W Enermax Chakra w/ 250mm Side Panel Fan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 50
WOW this thread got derailed quite nicely. Complaining or not, nvidia is trying to shift blame by throwing a lot of technical BS at people that dont know any better. The cards got your name on it, the stupid TWIMTBP and all that jazz so you take responsibility.
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.1ghz Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA GTX 260 core 216 55nm 2gig x 2 G.Skill DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 250gb 7200RPM & 1TB samsung 5400 Windows 7 64bit Acer AL2216Wbd 22'' corsair 850tx 
Case
CM 690 stock 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.1ghz Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R EVGA GTX 260 core 216 55nm 2gig x 2 G.Skill DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD 250gb 7200RPM & 1TB samsung 5400 Windows 7 64bit Acer AL2216Wbd 22'' corsair 850tx 
Case
CM 690 stock 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeDink View Post
no, they aren't expressing any thing at all.

If I told you the sky is blue, am I expressing any emotion?

no.

If I tell you a computer chips failure is most-likely due to improper thermal management, I am not expressing any emotion either, I'm simply stating a fact.

no dissatisfaction, no grief, no resentment. None.


I think Nvidia is dissatisfied to hell, and with good reason. and I'm with you on that, I'm sure they are really hating life right now. But the fact is, in the parts of their public statement that you outlined, and that the OP talked about. There are no emotions conveyed.
They wouldn't have even bothered to make a statement like that blaming people for things (which you stated yourself) if their intent wasn't to show any dissatisfaction with them.

And if you think nVidia throwing in some sort of ambiguous disclaimer such as "testing suggests" shows they're merely "stating facts", then I guess I can see why you wouldn't think it's complaining.
Edited by Choggs396 - 7/7/08 at 5:08pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
They wouldn't have even bothered to make a statement like that blaming people for things (which you stated yourself) if their intent wasn't to show any dissatisfaction with them.

And if you think nVidia throwing in some sort of ambiguous disclaimer such as "testing suggests" shows they're merely "stating facts", then I guess I can see why you wouldn't think it's complaining.
Doesn't change the fact that in the areas you quoted. Nvidia is not complaining about anything.

Read it again man
Quote:
While we have not been able to determine a root cause for these failures, testing suggests a weak material set of die/package combination, system thermal management designs, and customer use patterns are contributing factors
Are you serious? nowhere in there do they complain about ANYTHING.

They talk about why a chip is failing. they are stating fact. they are not complaining or conveying any emotion.

None man. You're wrong and I'm very sorry that you can't deal with it.

Let me repeat myself: They are not in any way shape or form complaining about anything, and to reiterate: Nvidia complains about nothing in their PR statement

God damn, I feel like mojo jojo FFS.

Look at the sentence structure.... Look at the diction! They COMPLAIN about not even a single thing. They make statements and they cast blame.

They are not complaining about the Thermal designs.

They are STATING that the thermal designs may have contributed to failures.

And for the last time, I AGREE WITH YOU, Nvidia is definitely dissatisfied, but NOWHERE IN THEIR ENTIRE PR STATEMENT do they say they are dissatisfied, or even HINT AT IT.

You are imagining it man. Any English teacher on the planet would tell you that you're wrong.
Von Strauss
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5000x2 BE @ 3.2 ASUS M2R-32 MVP Sapphire HD4850 700/1100 2x1gb G.Skill HZs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD IDE lol LG DVD-RAM w/ Lightscribe Vista Ultimate 32-bit Sceptre, 1280x1024, 5ms 
PowerCase
Corsair TX 650W Enermax Chakra w/ 250mm Side Panel Fan 
  hide details  
Reply
Von Strauss
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5000x2 BE @ 3.2 ASUS M2R-32 MVP Sapphire HD4850 700/1100 2x1gb G.Skill HZs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD IDE lol LG DVD-RAM w/ Lightscribe Vista Ultimate 32-bit Sceptre, 1280x1024, 5ms 
PowerCase
Corsair TX 650W Enermax Chakra w/ 250mm Side Panel Fan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeDink View Post
Doesn't change the fact that in the areas you quoted. Nvidia is not complaining about anything.

Read it again man


Are you serious? nowhere in there do they complain about ANYTHING.

They talk about why a chip is failing. they are stating fact. they are not complaining or conveying any emotion.

None man. You're wrong and I'm very sorry that you can't deal with it.

Let me repeat myself: They are not in any way shape or form complaining about anything, and to reiterate: Nvidia complains about nothing in their PR statement

God damn, I feel like mojo jojo FFS.

Look at the sentence structure.... Look at the diction! They COMPLAIN about not even a single thing. They make statements and they cast blame.

They are not complaining about the Thermal designs.

They are STATING that the thermal designs may have contributed to failures.

And for the last time, I AGREE WITH YOU, Nvidia is definitely dissatisfied, but NOWHERE IN THEIR ENTIRE PR STATEMENT do they say they are dissatisfied, or even HINT AT IT.

You are imagining it man. Any English teacher on the planet would tell you that you're wrong.
In making a statement like that itself, blaming others for their problems, they're showing dissatisfaction with them. You really think they would have even made a statement like that if they didn't intend on showing any dissatisfaction over the issues?

Well, I guess maybe you do need to read in between the lines a little bit, after all. Sorry if I'm not fooled by their "technical nature" of the statement.
Edited by Choggs396 - 7/7/08 at 5:52pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 50
You guys srsly

srsly u guys
Shop Dog
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Asus Blitz Formula SE HD3870X2 G Skill 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Velociraptor 150GB LG DVD Burner Vista Ultimate 64 AOC 21.5" LED 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Deck Legend Silverstone 750 Modular OverClock Edition Lian Li V1100 Logitech Trackball 
Mouse Pad
Nope 
  hide details  
Reply
Shop Dog
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Asus Blitz Formula SE HD3870X2 G Skill 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Velociraptor 150GB LG DVD Burner Vista Ultimate 64 AOC 21.5" LED 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Deck Legend Silverstone 750 Modular OverClock Edition Lian Li V1100 Logitech Trackball 
Mouse Pad
Nope 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choggs396 View Post
In making a statement like that itself, blaming others for their problems, they're showing dissatisfaction with them. You really think they would have even made a statement like that if they didn't intend on showing any dissatisfaction over the issues?

Well, I guess maybe you do need to read in between the lines a little bit, after all. Sorry if I'm not fooled by their "technical nature" of the statement.
Like I said man, if you look heavily into it, obviously they are dissatisfied, because they are blaming other people for their own problems.

I'm talking about in the literal sense though, and in the context, and the way it was worded, it doesn't show them complaining.

I'm sure they're complaining up a storm back in "Satan Clara" though.

So I guess we're both right in a way... If you look into it (a bit more than you should lol) then you're right, they are complaining about HPs faulty cooling systems.

But in a literal sense, and a grammatical sense, they aren't complaining.
Von Strauss
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5000x2 BE @ 3.2 ASUS M2R-32 MVP Sapphire HD4850 700/1100 2x1gb G.Skill HZs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD IDE lol LG DVD-RAM w/ Lightscribe Vista Ultimate 32-bit Sceptre, 1280x1024, 5ms 
PowerCase
Corsair TX 650W Enermax Chakra w/ 250mm Side Panel Fan 
  hide details  
Reply
Von Strauss
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5000x2 BE @ 3.2 ASUS M2R-32 MVP Sapphire HD4850 700/1100 2x1gb G.Skill HZs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
250gb WD IDE lol LG DVD-RAM w/ Lightscribe Vista Ultimate 32-bit Sceptre, 1280x1024, 5ms 
PowerCase
Corsair TX 650W Enermax Chakra w/ 250mm Side Panel Fan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeDink View Post
Like I said man, if you look heavily into it, obviously they are dissatisfied, because they are blaming other people for their own problems.

I'm talking about in the literal sense though, and in the context, and the way it was worded, it doesn't show them complaining.

I'm sure they're complaining up a storm back in "Satan Clara" though.

So I guess we're both right in a way... If you look into it (a bit more than you should lol) then you're right, they are complaining about HPs faulty cooling systems.

But in a literal sense, and a grammatical sense, they aren't complaining.
Thank you.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6GHz (lapped) EVGA 780i SLI FTW @ 1600MHz FSB 2 x EVGA 8800GTX 768MB (SLI) @ 625/1500/2000MHz 2x2GB G.Skill PC2-8000 PQ @ 800MHz (linked to FSB) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x160GB WD RAID 0, 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Viewsonic VA2702w 27" LCD 1920x1080 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Value 100 (beer magnet) Corsair TX 750W Cooler Master ATCS 840 Logitech SBF-90 (cheapest one on Newegg) 
Mouse Pad
Some kinda rubber thing (beer magnet) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [INQ]Nvidia plays the meltdown blame game