Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Should I wait?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I wait?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Should I wait 2 months for the e8400 price drop, or wait longer to get Nehalem. My current PC has a 1.7 ghz cpu + 64mb graphic card, so waiting is going to cause a great deal of pain, but I can manage if I will save a lot of money and get a much better cpu afterwards.
post #2 of 8
When it comes to computer parts, buy now or wait forever!
 
MacBook Pro
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4590 MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate PowerColor TurboDuo AXR9 280 HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 Viewsonic 1680x1050 Rosewill HIVE 550W Cooler Master Centurion 5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Apple Logic Board Intel Iris 8 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOS
256 GB PCI-e SSD OSX 10.9.4 
  hide details  
Reply
 
MacBook Pro
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4590 MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate PowerColor TurboDuo AXR9 280 HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 Viewsonic 1680x1050 Rosewill HIVE 550W Cooler Master Centurion 5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Apple Logic Board Intel Iris 8 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOS
256 GB PCI-e SSD OSX 10.9.4 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
wait, I would normally tell you what pibbz told you but it seems like they is going to be an interesting change in CPU's and I would wait.
Viperware x 2
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770 Asus SaberTooth Mark S EVGA GTX 980 SC Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GBs 
Optical DriveOSMonitorMonitor
LG Optical drive Windows 8.1 Dell u2414h Dell u2414h 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
corsair k70 EVGA 1000 G2 corsair 750D Corsair M65 
Mouse PadAudio
steel series game pad LG sound bar 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Go @ 3.8GHz Rocksolid ASUS P5E eVGA GTX 285 4 Gb Corsair XMS2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750 GB Hiatachi 7200 RPM 32MB cache Drive.. Win7 Ultx64/Ubuntu 10.04 Samsumg 26'' 
PowerCaseMouse
PC Power and cooling 750 watt Cooler Master Cosmos S Kone 
  hide details  
Reply
Viperware x 2
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770 Asus SaberTooth Mark S EVGA GTX 980 SC Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GBs 
Optical DriveOSMonitorMonitor
LG Optical drive Windows 8.1 Dell u2414h Dell u2414h 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
corsair k70 EVGA 1000 G2 corsair 750D Corsair M65 
Mouse PadAudio
steel series game pad LG sound bar 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Go @ 3.8GHz Rocksolid ASUS P5E eVGA GTX 285 4 Gb Corsair XMS2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750 GB Hiatachi 7200 RPM 32MB cache Drive.. Win7 Ultx64/Ubuntu 10.04 Samsumg 26'' 
PowerCaseMouse
PC Power and cooling 750 watt Cooler Master Cosmos S Kone 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
If you wait, do so for a price range.. New hardware will always be on the horizon..

I am waiting along with everyone here for nahelem, but its not that difficult for some of us to wait.. or say wait.... considering the PC we are running is a bit beefier than a 1.7GHz cpu with a 64MB vid card...

Id suggest a decent 775 mobo, E7200, 2GB DDR2 1066, and 8800GTS/ ATI 4850 (depending on ur budget) but that will make your eyes buldge for the diff in what you run now

What ever you get will drop in price, and there will be something better in 6mnths-1yr.. just the nature of the beast
The Money Pit
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 - 4.24 @ 1.40v Batch #3941B089 EVGA X58 SLI LE MSI 580 GTX Lightning - 950/1900/2200 @ 1.1v 6GB Mushkin @ 1475 - 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
120GB Vertex Plus 2 x 500GB WD Blues RAID0 Lite-On DVD/CD Custom H20 Loop 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Ulti-64 25" I-Inc iH253 Antec TruePower New TP-750 CoolerMaster HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
The Money Pit
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 - 4.24 @ 1.40v Batch #3941B089 EVGA X58 SLI LE MSI 580 GTX Lightning - 950/1900/2200 @ 1.1v 6GB Mushkin @ 1475 - 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
120GB Vertex Plus 2 x 500GB WD Blues RAID0 Lite-On DVD/CD Custom H20 Loop 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 Ulti-64 25" I-Inc iH253 Antec TruePower New TP-750 CoolerMaster HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mister View Post
Should I wait 2 months for the e8400 price drop, or wait longer to get Nehalem. My current PC has a 1.7 ghz cpu + 64mb graphic card, so waiting is going to cause a great deal of pain, but I can manage if I will save a lot of money and get a much better cpu afterwards.
I have been waiting for the price drop to upgrade my CPU. According to http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...cuts-come.html the price cuts should start as soon as July 20th. With it only two weeks I would just wait unless you absolutely need a CPU right now. This will allow you to spend the same amount of money and get a better CPU or get a very nice CPU for less money.
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 @ 4.2GHz GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R EVGA 8800GTS 640 Superclocked Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x Seagate Barracuda 250GB in RAID0 Windows 7 Home 64-bit SAMSUNG T260HD Corsair 620HX 
CaseMouse
CM RC-690 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8600 @ 4.2GHz GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R EVGA 8800GTS 640 Superclocked Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
2x Seagate Barracuda 250GB in RAID0 Windows 7 Home 64-bit SAMSUNG T260HD Corsair 620HX 
CaseMouse
CM RC-690 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
I would suggest not waiting if you have your budget in mind. The nahalem is going to be completely different and when I mean different I mean everything, the boards are going to be brand new, with a brand new socket, I think its 1337 which means the new boards will most likely start out in the above 300 dollar range, they will only support ddr3 memory which is currently expensive who knows by the time the nahalem comes out. I would go with a wolfdale and save your money until the prices drop on the new architecture.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mister View Post
Should I wait 2 months for the e8400 price drop, or wait longer to get Nehalem. My current PC has a 1.7 ghz cpu + 64mb graphic card, so waiting is going to cause a great deal of pain, but I can manage if I will save a lot of money and get a much better cpu afterwards.
Intel moved them up to July 20th:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=8297&Itemid=1
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10acjed View Post
What ever you get will drop in price, and there will be something better in 6mnths-1yr.. just the nature of the beast
Yes, it's even more discouraging when you read intels plans 5 years ahead of time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_B...roarchitecture)
Just wait till 2011 for 22 nm(!) manufacturing methods and 4Ghz STANDARD speed.
I can't imagine.

Then of course you have 11nm and down:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11_nanometer
Though we supposedly don't posses the technology/materials to do this yet.

To 1-up all this I hear AMD plans to use a processing method that will work at a 0nm level and be trans-dimensional.
Edited by Rushnerd - 7/8/08 at 3:41pm
Navi 2.1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3  MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Ripjaw DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 80Gb SSD+1TB+243Gb Sony Blu-ray drive Corsair H100 +140mm X2 120mm X3 (two intake) Windows 7 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 27" 2560X1440 DAS Keyboard Mechanical 600w Thermaltake LIAN LI PC-B25F Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steelseries mouse mat Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Navi 2.1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3  MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Ripjaw DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 80Gb SSD+1TB+243Gb Sony Blu-ray drive Corsair H100 +140mm X2 120mm X3 (two intake) Windows 7 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 27" 2560X1440 DAS Keyboard Mechanical 600w Thermaltake LIAN LI PC-B25F Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower  
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steelseries mouse mat Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Should I wait?