Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [XBit]AMD Unveils Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition Chip
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[XBit]AMD Unveils Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition Chip - Page 5

post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by low strife View Post
The Q6600 goes for $195 as OEM's on Newegg, yet they say Intel's cheapest chip is $224.
Thats OEM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetos316 View Post
Given AMD's track record of new manufacturing releases, I'm going to say that we're not going to see huge volumes of the 45nm parts until mid/end of Q1 '09 even though they say that they are on track for release at the end of this year. Even then, since Opterons have a higher profit margin, I would imagine that AMD would put a slightly higher priority in getting more Opty's out before Phenoms get out so we'll probably won't be seeing volume 45nm Phenoms until Q2 '09.
That "track" record has just recently happened, so I dont think its fair to judge them by that every single time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical999 View Post
AMD is so lagging behind Intel right now. They're JUST NOW releasing quads that can FINALLY compete against the Q6600. I mean when was the Q6600 released, late 2006? They don't even have DDR3 boards out yet. They're like a year and a half behind Intel, CPU-wise. I wonder when they will release something that will have Intel trying to catch up, if even that becomes a scenario. Doubt it would happen any time soon. It'll be 10 years before AMD can release something that will match up against the QX9770, and even Nehalem. I remember a year ago when people were convinced that the Phenom would topple Intel's C2D's/Q's, ha.
Their cpu's are also cheaper than Intel's.. DDR3 would make little difference to AMD. Its like DDR vs DDR2, with an AMD system, it was basically a gimick.

10 years? Apparently your forgetting the 6~ years it took Intel, and forgetting that AMD is also releasing major cpu revisions sooner than in the past, along with Intel. Frankly; your post is just dripping in skewed fanboyism.
> Scotland
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE ASUS M4A89GTD 9600GT OC G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Cavier Black Lite-On SATA DVD+RW Windows 7 Professional Samsung BX2335 + Samsung 2253BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft FSP FX600-GLN-E Aspire X-Cruiser Razer Diamondback 3G 
Mouse Pad
Wacom Intuios 4 Medium 
  hide details  
Reply
> Scotland
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE ASUS M4A89GTD 9600GT OC G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Cavier Black Lite-On SATA DVD+RW Windows 7 Professional Samsung BX2335 + Samsung 2253BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft FSP FX600-GLN-E Aspire X-Cruiser Razer Diamondback 3G 
Mouse Pad
Wacom Intuios 4 Medium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelouch View Post
Their cpu's are also cheaper than Intel's.. DDR3 would make little difference to AMD. Its like DDR vs DDR2, with an AMD system, it was basically a gimick.

10 years? Apparently your forgetting the 6~ years it took Intel, and forgetting that AMD is also releasing major cpu revisions sooner than in the past, along with Intel. Frankly; your post is just dripping in skewed fanboyism.
Last time I checked the Q6600 is cheaper (at the same performance), faster (at the same price), and used less power than Phenoms (and the same speed and at the same price)....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE

DDR3 will make a big difference. Wether it has to do with actual performance, who knows. But I do know this. When Intel goes DDR3 only, DDR3 will become cheap and widely available and DDR2 will start to dimish and become more expensive.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryceb View Post
So will this work on my am2+ mobo or would I need to upgrade to get this? This processor is looking like a great deal.
Most likely it will require a BIOS up date, other than that it should be fine.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 965 ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 9800GTx2 2x2G OCZ Reapers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500G WD Black LiteOn CD/DVD R/W Win7 64 22'' ws Acer AL2223W 
KeyboardPowerMouse
MS KU462 Natural SS DA750 MS 5 button 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X4 965 ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 9800GTx2 2x2G OCZ Reapers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500G WD Black LiteOn CD/DVD R/W Win7 64 22'' ws Acer AL2223W 
KeyboardPowerMouse
MS KU462 Natural SS DA750 MS 5 button 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
Last time I checked the Q6600 is cheaper (at the same performance), faster (at the same price), and used less power than Phenoms (and the same speed and at the same price)....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE

DDR3 will make a big difference. Wether it has to do with actual performance, who knows. But I do know this. When Intel goes DDR3 only, DDR3 will become cheap and widely available and DDR2 will start to dimish and become more expensive.
The 2.5ghz 9850 is now only $205, while the retail Q6600 is still $209, so, the intel isn't going to be faster at the same price. Also, if you consider the 95W 2.4ghz 9750 is going to be available very soon, power is on par at that clockspeed.
mitx
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K 4.5ghz ASRock Z77E-ITX Sapphire R9 290x Tri-X 1200/1500 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8 GB 8-8-8-24-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital WD15EARX Western Digital WD15EADS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Silverstone NT06-Pro Windows 10 x64 LG 29UM67 Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SG08 600W PSU Silverstone SG08B Logitech G700 Pioneer SE-A1000 
  hide details  
Reply
mitx
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K 4.5ghz ASRock Z77E-ITX Sapphire R9 290x Tri-X 1200/1500 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8 GB 8-8-8-24-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital WD15EARX Western Digital WD15EADS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Silverstone NT06-Pro Windows 10 x64 LG 29UM67 Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SG08 600W PSU Silverstone SG08B Logitech G700 Pioneer SE-A1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
Last time I checked the Q6600 is cheaper (at the same performance), faster (at the same price), and used less power than Phenoms (and the same speed and at the same price)....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE

DDR3 will make a big difference. Wether it has to do with actual performance, who knows. But I do know this. When Intel goes DDR3 only, DDR3 will become cheap and widely available and DDR2 will start to dimish and become more expensive.
Last I saw, there really isn't much difference in power consumption between the two. You might be thinking of the TDP of the chips, but remember the difference is the HEAT that needs to be disapated, not the power being consumed.

They're also not much different in speed. The AMD clocks lower when OC'ing but I think that is more mobo dependent than cpu dependent. The NB and SB seem to be very fickle right now.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PII x4 965 Asus m3a79-T Sapphire TOXIC 5850 OCZ Reaper 2x2gb DDR 1066 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Stupid Vista Samsung 2494SW OCZ GameXstream 700w Corsair 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
The 2.5ghz 9850 is now only $205, while the retail Q6600 is still $209, so, the intel isn't going to be faster at the same price. Also, if you consider the 95W 2.4ghz 9750 is going to be available very soon, power is on par at that clockspeed.
2.4Ghz Q6600 is $195 OEM, or $209 retail. Q6600 > 9850 anyday. Uses less power, is faster stock, and is a lot faster overclocked.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
2.4Ghz Q6600 is $195 OEM, or $209 retail. Q6600 > 9850 anyday. Uses less power, is faster stock, and is a lot faster overclocked.
9600 is $170 retail, which is $40 less than a Q6600 @ retail. It may not be as fast, but its a quad core, it doesnt need to be exceedingly fast necessarily, and if someone chose the 9600, I dont think they would complain about it being slow... And for someone like me, who is tight on money usually, $40 is money that can be invested in something else, like an aftermarket cooler, or maybe that $40 will get me a better gpu, or more RAM with the price it is at right now.
> Scotland
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE ASUS M4A89GTD 9600GT OC G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Cavier Black Lite-On SATA DVD+RW Windows 7 Professional Samsung BX2335 + Samsung 2253BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft FSP FX600-GLN-E Aspire X-Cruiser Razer Diamondback 3G 
Mouse Pad
Wacom Intuios 4 Medium 
  hide details  
Reply
> Scotland
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE ASUS M4A89GTD 9600GT OC G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Cavier Black Lite-On SATA DVD+RW Windows 7 Professional Samsung BX2335 + Samsung 2253BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft FSP FX600-GLN-E Aspire X-Cruiser Razer Diamondback 3G 
Mouse Pad
Wacom Intuios 4 Medium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelouch View Post
9600 is $170 retail, which is $40 less than a Q6600 @ retail. It may not be as fast, but its a quad core, it doesnt need to be exceedingly fast necessarily, and if someone chose the 9600, I dont think they would complain about it being slow... And for someone like me, who is tight on money usually, $40 is money that can be invested in something else, like an aftermarket cooler, or maybe that $40 will get me a better gpu, or more RAM with the price it is at right now.
Quad core isn't for the budget minded. You can get much greater performance for the price from dual core.
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 AMD 7970 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel 520 256GB SATA DVD Burner Windows 7 64 bit Deal U2410 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Adesso Mechanical Silverstone OP650 Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
2.4Ghz Q6600 is $195 OEM, or $209 retail. Q6600 > 9850 anyday. Uses less power, is faster stock, and is a lot faster overclocked.
Who cares if it uses less power? The total system power consumption is still the same since AMD chipsets use less power
GE60
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
Intel Core i5 4200M Geforce GTX760M 750GB WD Scorpio Black Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardMouseMouse Pad
15.6" CM Quickfire Rapid CM Xornet Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
GE60
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
Intel Core i5 4200M Geforce GTX760M 750GB WD Scorpio Black Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardMouseMouse Pad
15.6" CM Quickfire Rapid CM Xornet Steelseries QcK+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
2.4Ghz Q6600 is $195 OEM, or $209 retail. Q6600 > 9850 anyday. Uses less power, is faster stock, and is a lot faster overclocked.
I was comparing retail boxes. Regardless, you're wrong, Q6600 overclocks better, but at stock, the Phenom is on par, or ahead of the Q6600 in certain tasks. It may consume a little more power, but TDP is not true power draw. Overclocking is really where the Intel has the advantage.
mitx
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K 4.5ghz ASRock Z77E-ITX Sapphire R9 290x Tri-X 1200/1500 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8 GB 8-8-8-24-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital WD15EARX Western Digital WD15EADS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Silverstone NT06-Pro Windows 10 x64 LG 29UM67 Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SG08 600W PSU Silverstone SG08B Logitech G700 Pioneer SE-A1000 
  hide details  
Reply
mitx
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K 4.5ghz ASRock Z77E-ITX Sapphire R9 290x Tri-X 1200/1500 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8 GB 8-8-8-24-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital WD15EARX Western Digital WD15EADS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Silverstone NT06-Pro Windows 10 x64 LG 29UM67 Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SG08 600W PSU Silverstone SG08B Logitech G700 Pioneer SE-A1000 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [XBit]AMD Unveils Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition Chip