Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Phones › 3G Iphone - Canada - Dataplan/WiFi Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3G Iphone - Canada - Dataplan/WiFi Questions

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hey,
So I live in Canada and as you all know Rogers screwed us in terms of dataplans... not that I even know what that is.

Can't the Iphone just connect to the internet through wifi? and can't I use my current plan instead of switching to a plan with a dataplan? why is a dataplan required?

Thanks,
Me.
Swagga-F
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x2 550 BE (unlocked x4) Asus M4A89GTD Evga GTX 570 Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 500GB-7200 & 120GB WD & 40GB SS... A70 Win7 Ultimate x64 Samsung 2343BWX 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Corsair TX650M NZXT Beta Evo ATX Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
My Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
Swagga-F
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x2 550 BE (unlocked x4) Asus M4A89GTD Evga GTX 570 Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 500GB-7200 & 120GB WD & 40GB SS... A70 Win7 Ultimate x64 Samsung 2343BWX 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Corsair TX650M NZXT Beta Evo ATX Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
My Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrEaKâ„¢ View Post
Hey,
So I live in Canada and as you all know Rogers screwed us in terms of dataplans... not that I even know what that is.

Can't the Iphone just connect to the internet through wifi? and can't I use my current plan instead of switching to a plan with a dataplan? why is a dataplan required?

Thanks,
Me.
I'm not exactly sure how they are doing it in Canada but here you are forced into a 2 year contract if you buy the new 3g. If you want to connect to the internet though wifi, just get the itouch. The itouch is the iphone without the phone.
Glados
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400@4.05ghz DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS Radeon HD 3870 X2 G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Vista Premium x64/XP Pro SP3 Samsung 226BW G15 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM690 G5 Steal Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Glados
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400@4.05ghz DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS Radeon HD 3870 X2 G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
250GB Vista Premium x64/XP Pro SP3 Samsung 226BW G15 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
CM690 G5 Steal Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gri3f3r View Post
I'm not exactly sure how they are doing it in Canada but here you are forced into a 2 year contract if you buy the new 3g. If you want to connect to the internet though wifi, just get the itouch. The itouch is the iphone without the phone.
thing is I need a new phone >< so why not get both? I just don't understand the point of this dataplan unless you want to connect without wifi...?
Swagga-F
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x2 550 BE (unlocked x4) Asus M4A89GTD Evga GTX 570 Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 500GB-7200 & 120GB WD & 40GB SS... A70 Win7 Ultimate x64 Samsung 2343BWX 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Corsair TX650M NZXT Beta Evo ATX Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
My Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
Swagga-F
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x2 550 BE (unlocked x4) Asus M4A89GTD Evga GTX 570 Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 500GB-7200 & 120GB WD & 40GB SS... A70 Win7 Ultimate x64 Samsung 2343BWX 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Corsair TX650M NZXT Beta Evo ATX Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
My Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrEaKâ„¢ View Post
thing is I need a new phone >< so why not get both? I just don't understand the point of this dataplan unless you want to connect without wifi...?
there is no point, rogers charges insane prices after the plan limits which are small, 15mb per month on the cheaper ones then its 10 per meg over your limit.

i have a smartphone with rogers i get 250 daytime unlimited nights starting @ 6 free call display + unlimited txt for 35 + tax i go on the internet with my phone with wifi, who doesnt have wifi these days?
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.2 9x356 Asus Maximus Formula BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC 675/1500/2300 Corsair Dominator 2x2gb pc8500 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
intel ssd 40gb WD 150gb Raptor 10,000rpm Windows 7 64-bit Samgsung SyncMaster 24 Inch 2443BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitec Wave (wireless) Corsair hx620w Antec 1200 Logitec MX-revolution 
Audio
creative x-fi fatality 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.2 9x356 Asus Maximus Formula BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC 675/1500/2300 Corsair Dominator 2x2gb pc8500 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
intel ssd 40gb WD 150gb Raptor 10,000rpm Windows 7 64-bit Samgsung SyncMaster 24 Inch 2443BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitec Wave (wireless) Corsair hx620w Antec 1200 Logitec MX-revolution 
Audio
creative x-fi fatality 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
there is no point, rogers charges insane prices after the plan limits which are small, 15mb per month on the cheaper ones then its 10 per meg over your limit.

i have a smartphone with rogers i get 250 daytime unlimited nights starting @ 6 free call display + unlimited txt for 35 + tax i go on the internet with my phone with wifi, who doesnt have wifi these days?
I know, thats what I'm saying, I would never use the net unless I was on WiFi... so I can't get an Iphone without a data plan I presume? I am too, thinking of getting a smartphone instead...
Swagga-F
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x2 550 BE (unlocked x4) Asus M4A89GTD Evga GTX 570 Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 500GB-7200 & 120GB WD & 40GB SS... A70 Win7 Ultimate x64 Samsung 2343BWX 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Corsair TX650M NZXT Beta Evo ATX Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
My Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
Swagga-F
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x2 550 BE (unlocked x4) Asus M4A89GTD Evga GTX 570 Ripjaws 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 500GB-7200 & 120GB WD & 40GB SS... A70 Win7 Ultimate x64 Samsung 2343BWX 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Corsair TX650M NZXT Beta Evo ATX Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
My Desk 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrEaKâ„¢ View Post
I know, thats what I'm saying, I would never use the net unless I was on WiFi... so I can't get an Iphone without a data plan I presume? I am too, thinking of getting a smartphone instead...
not to sure, but it wouldn't surprise me having something dumb like that requiring you to have a data plan.

i thought about an iphone a friend had one back in september when they came out he unlocked it and used a fido sim card ( basically the same thing as rogers ) i thought about taking my htc back but after trying to type with the on screen keyboard i liked my qwerty better.

this is the phone i have its way cheaper now i bought it back in september 07
it had windows mobile 5.0 but the upgrade to 6.0 was free a few months later, now there is 6.1 and i want it :swearing: damn rogers
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.2 9x356 Asus Maximus Formula BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC 675/1500/2300 Corsair Dominator 2x2gb pc8500 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
intel ssd 40gb WD 150gb Raptor 10,000rpm Windows 7 64-bit Samgsung SyncMaster 24 Inch 2443BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitec Wave (wireless) Corsair hx620w Antec 1200 Logitec MX-revolution 
Audio
creative x-fi fatality 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.2 9x356 Asus Maximus Formula BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC 675/1500/2300 Corsair Dominator 2x2gb pc8500 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
intel ssd 40gb WD 150gb Raptor 10,000rpm Windows 7 64-bit Samgsung SyncMaster 24 Inch 2443BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitec Wave (wireless) Corsair hx620w Antec 1200 Logitec MX-revolution 
Audio
creative x-fi fatality 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Phones
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Phones › 3G Iphone - Canada - Dataplan/WiFi Questions