Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [ET] Gaming: Windows Vista SP1 vs. XP SP3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[ET] Gaming: Windows Vista SP1 vs. XP SP3 - Page 11

post #101 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
Fix the grammer there kinda difficult to understand an argument when you a have a double positive going on there.

Where is your proof for this.

Vista is NT 6.0. Which is NT! XP is NT 5.1. both xp and vista have the NT code .



Theres your proof.

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/sho...&tf=0&pageid=0

Now unless you can pull some hard evidence proving that vista is not based on NT.
Jesus Christ. What are you guys splitting hairs about? Let me fix it:
1) "built from the ground up" doesn't mean it doesn't have legacy code. Yes, it has NT code. Duh. To those (2 people?) who didn't know that, surprise. To those who thought that was relevant to this topic, surprise.

2) "built from the ground up" (and it was) just means that many aspects of the security of the system were taken back to beginning steps in design and architecture. As they began to re-implement services and functionality in the OS, security remained their first priority and many design decisions were made to bolster security. How much legacy NT code was used is totally irrelevant to this point and that "NT Code" has always been evolving. It's not like they took the head from an giraffe and put it on an elephant. Take a programming course at your local community college.

Also, private English lessons are 350 RMB per hour.

Rob
Endor-IV
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX 9650 9x400 @ stock volts 1.25v Gigabyte EX38-DS4 Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB 2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Seagate Barracuda 12 (7200.12) LG GSA-H42L Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 2493HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer/Microsoft Reclusa Huntkey F1 620W Huntkey H001 Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
Endor-IV
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX 9650 9x400 @ stock volts 1.25v Gigabyte EX38-DS4 Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB 2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Seagate Barracuda 12 (7200.12) LG GSA-H42L Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 2493HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer/Microsoft Reclusa Huntkey F1 620W Huntkey H001 Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #102 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
Fix the grammer there
Grammar*
post #103 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
Fix the grammer there kinda difficult to understand an argument when you a have a double positive going on there.

Where is your proof for this.

Vista is NT 6.0. Which is NT! XP is NT 5.1. both xp and vista have the NT code .



Theres your proof.

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/sho...&tf=0&pageid=0

Now unless you can pull some hard evidence proving that vista is not based on NT.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista

Read up kid.


Oh by the way, don't tell me to fix my grammar because you don't know what Longhorn is. Thanks.


Oh, FYI I never said it wasn't NT based.
Edited by redsunx - 7/15/08 at 6:26pm
Edit System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
830x4 ASUS blah blah blah PRO/USB3 FiveEightFiveZer0 2x4 AMD entertainment edition memory lolwut 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda >:] WD Scorpio >:] idk lol 212 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
xx64en_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-_EN_DVD LED 23'' 1080P 5MS no dead pixels :D Goodwill 500w PCP+C 80+<3 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Was a G500 :*( Steel Series 
  hide details  
Reply
Edit System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
830x4 ASUS blah blah blah PRO/USB3 FiveEightFiveZer0 2x4 AMD entertainment edition memory lolwut 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda >:] WD Scorpio >:] idk lol 212 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
xx64en_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-_EN_DVD LED 23'' 1080P 5MS no dead pixels :D Goodwill 500w PCP+C 80+<3 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Was a G500 :*( Steel Series 
  hide details  
Reply
post #104 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
Fix the grammer there kinda difficult to understand an argument when you a have a double positive going on there.
I tried to resist this as long as possible. However, I am an English teacher.

"Please fix the grammar in your sentence. It is kind of difficult to understand your argument when you use double positives.

LoL
Rob
Endor-IV
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX 9650 9x400 @ stock volts 1.25v Gigabyte EX38-DS4 Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB 2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Seagate Barracuda 12 (7200.12) LG GSA-H42L Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 2493HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer/Microsoft Reclusa Huntkey F1 620W Huntkey H001 Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
Endor-IV
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
QX 9650 9x400 @ stock volts 1.25v Gigabyte EX38-DS4 Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB 2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB Seagate Barracuda 12 (7200.12) LG GSA-H42L Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 2493HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer/Microsoft Reclusa Huntkey F1 620W Huntkey H001 Razer Lachesis 
Mouse Pad
Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #105 of 141
Now I really have no idea how they coded it, but it's entirely possible that the code is 100% new. That doesn't stop them from calling it NT. If it behaves like NT, then it doesn't matter how it's coded. That's like saying something isn't Java when the API remains the same, but the code that implements it is rewritten.

But once again, they may have reused old code too. I really have no idea, I'm just making the point that whether the code is 100% new or not, it's still an NT system.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.24GHz w/ 1.36v (L724A760) Gigabyte P35-DS3R rev 1.0 EVGA GTX 285 1GB + ? BIOS (720c/1512s/1377m) 8GB G.Skill PQ @ 1000MHz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320GB 7200.11 Raid0 + 750GB 7200.11 for Storage Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung T260HD 1920x1200 + Samsung 226BW 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 G0 @ 3.24GHz w/ 1.36v (L724A760) Gigabyte P35-DS3R rev 1.0 EVGA GTX 285 1GB + ? BIOS (720c/1512s/1377m) 8GB G.Skill PQ @ 1000MHz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x320GB 7200.11 Raid0 + 750GB 7200.11 for Storage Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung T260HD 1920x1200 + Samsung 226BW 1680x1050 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse II PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Nine Hundred Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse Pad
Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #106 of 141
My new rig is vista x64 only. I don't see the point of XP since Vista SP1.

I remember the hard time I had with vista at the beginning (Bioshock nightmare, stalker was the same etc). But thing is : it's gone.

As long as you shut up the UAC, Vista is pretty solid.

I don't understand the argument about the price. When was release XP? 2002 or around that time? 6 years ago for 200 bucks seems good to me.

Most of the guys criticizing about the price don't buy licence anyway...sorry truth hurts, I know .

So same speed plus Direct X10 and soon DX 11. If you're gamer that's the only way to go. Of course they can keep xp and offer you dx 10 update for free, but you know what? This is a company they need your money sometime to keep the OS business reliable. So every few years you have to pay.

if you want to stay on XP no problem but you're less hardcore than the ones who still game on windows 2000 .

Monkey Island also has good fps on windows 3.1, better than vista and xp actually...

So be hardcore and enjoy zak mac kraken on windows 3.1 or play new DX10 on Vista.

There is no reason to stay on XP .
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 MSI Eclipse Plus Quadfire HD5970 (2) 12gb 2000 - Trident G Skill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1tb Samsung F3 Pioneer BR Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits 30inch Dell 
KeyboardPowerCase
Deck! Acid Green Toughpower 1200w AND 1100w Gaia Mountain Mod Ascencion Big Daddy Special ;D 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 MSI Eclipse Plus Quadfire HD5970 (2) 12gb 2000 - Trident G Skill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1tb Samsung F3 Pioneer BR Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits 30inch Dell 
KeyboardPowerCase
Deck! Acid Green Toughpower 1200w AND 1100w Gaia Mountain Mod Ascencion Big Daddy Special ;D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #107 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natadiem View Post
My new rig is vista x64 only. I don't see the point of XP since Vista SP1.

I remember the hard time I had with vista at the beginning (Bioshock nightmare, stalker was the same etc). But thing is : it's gone.

As long as you shut up the UAC, Vista is pretty solid.

I don't understand the argument about the price. When was release XP? 2002 or around that time? 6 years ago for 200 bucks seems good to me.

Most of the guys criticizing about the price don't buy licence anyway...sorry truth hurts, I know .

So same speed plus Direct X10 and soon DX 11. If you're gamer that's the only way to go. Of course they can keep xp and offer you dx 10 update for free, but you know what? This is a company they need your money sometime to keep the OS business reliable. So every few years you have to pay.

if you want to stay on XP no problem but you're less hardcore than the ones who still game on windows 2000 .

Monkey Island also has good fps on windows 3.1, better than vista and xp actually...

So be hardcore and enjoy zak mac kraken on windows 3.1 or play new DX10 on Vista.

There is no reason to stay on XP .
I'm making the switch on my next system since it's time for a completely new build. However, I think it would be a waste of time, money, and effort to install vista on a system currently running XP. But I don't care about gaming, so what do I know? I think most XP homies just recognize the cost to benefit ratio.

BTW, I use the windows classic theme with a triple wide taskbar and 47 quick launch icons. My mouse icon is my WoW character, and it trails to the max, and the sensitivity is turned up so high that a flinch moves across 1920 pixels. My desktop doesn't have a single icon on it excluding my pr0n. My background is a rotating 3d rendering I created in Maya and Facegen, which was based off an actually image, of me putting Miley Cyrus in a demeaning position. I also don't have office installed and wrote my college thesis in Notepad, the same place where I make anime ascii art.

I use XP, and I'm more hardcore than you and all your relatives.
Promise of Stress
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L P35 evga gtx 260 192 4x2gb G.Skill DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640gb WD + 750gb Samsung Asus DRW-2014L1T Vista Business x64 24" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair HX520W Coolermaster CM690 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
-_- 
  hide details  
Reply
Promise of Stress
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9450 GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L P35 evga gtx 260 192 4x2gb G.Skill DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
640gb WD + 750gb Samsung Asus DRW-2014L1T Vista Business x64 24" Samsung 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair HX520W Coolermaster CM690 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
-_- 
  hide details  
Reply
post #108 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post
I'm making the switch on my next system since it's time for a completely new build. However, I think it would be a waste of time, money, and effort to install vista on a system currently running XP. But I don't care about gaming, so what do I know? I think most XP homies just recognize the cost to benefit ratio.

BTW, I use the windows classic theme with a triple wide taskbar and 47 quick launch icons. My mouse icon is my WoW character, and it trails to the max, and the sensitivity is turned up so high that a flinch moves across 1920 pixels. My desktop doesn't have a single icon on it excluding my pr0n. My background is a rotating 3d rendering I created in Maya and Facegen, which was based off an actually image, of me putting Miley Cyrus in a demeaning position. I also don't have office installed and wrote my college thesis in Notepad, the same place where I make anime ascii art.

I use XP, and I'm more hardcore than you and all your relatives.

Hmm a bit too much info

Anyway, using quicklaunch icons isn't hardcore, we didn't have those in the older OS's. Every real hardcore user knows you use the Run screen (opened with the windows-key+R shortcut obviously) or a command prompt box (opened via windows-key+R and then typing cmd->enter)
Primary
(8 items)
 
Secondary
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770 Asus P8Z77-M PRO Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Corsair Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor M5 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung S27A750D Corsair AX650 
  hide details  
Reply
Primary
(8 items)
 
Secondary
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770 Asus P8Z77-M PRO Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Corsair Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Plextor M5 Pro Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung S27A750D Corsair AX650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #109 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianOdin View Post
hardware support. Not all scanners/camera's and what not work well or even function in Vista.
Dude did u apply SP1? Why are all of you so scared of Vista? It's like getting a new cellphone, deal with it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500K @ 4.0GHz Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 Gigabyte GTX 780 Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 2GB x4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 64-Bit Samsung S27C750P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Coolermaster 800W Corsair Obsidian 750D Razer Deathadder 2014 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500K @ 4.0GHz Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 Gigabyte GTX 780 Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 2GB x4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 64-Bit Samsung S27C750P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Coolermaster 800W Corsair Obsidian 750D Razer Deathadder 2014 
  hide details  
Reply
post #110 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAeric View Post
But Vista is shiny!
I'm sold.


This just basically says, they are pretty much tied up. Considering how old xp is now, thats kinda sad. Hopefully they will correct all the things vista isn't doing right and smash vista and xp with the new windows 7.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [ET] Gaming: Windows Vista SP1 vs. XP SP3