Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › < $500 Build. Rate & Suggest Improvements!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

< $500 Build. Rate & Suggest Improvements! - Page 7

post #61 of 89
So what do you suggest?
post #62 of 89
Thread Starter 
I'm going to ditch the video card and go for a sound card. I'm still confused as to which mobo I should get. All I want is a guaranteed (stable) OC to 3.0ghz, and the cheapest board that will do that is fine by me.
Edited by Optixs - 7/10/08 at 4:53pm
post #63 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optixs View Post
I'm going to ditch the video card and go for a sound card. I'm still confused as to which mobo I should get. All I want is a guaranteed OC to 3.0ghz.
I don't think anything is guaranteed at running anything above it's stock speeds but, gigabyte makes some really nice boards so does DFI. As for a sound card do your research before you buy and make sure it suits your needs. I just put this in a build for someone I know and it's really impressive.
post #64 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerhz View Post
I don't think anything is guaranteed at running anything above it's stock speeds but, gigabyte makes some really nice boards so does DFI. As for a sound card do your research before you buy and make sure it suits your needs. I just put this in a build for someone I know and it's really impressive.
That card would take me above my desired budget.

This card is in newegg's topsellers list. It appears to be a reliable/quality card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102002

I can always upgrade later.
post #65 of 89
How about doing the BSEL mod on the Q6600 so that it boots by default at 3GHz, and then just popping into a cheap motherboard (link)? This will bring enough savings that allow the purchase of a $100 sound card

post #66 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Som3a View Post
How about doing the BSEL mod on the Q6600 so that it boots by default at 3GHz, and then just popping into a cheap motherboard (link)? This will bring enough savings that allow the purchase of a $100 sound card

Can you elaborate on this BSEL mod?
post #67 of 89
You put duct tape on the specified pin and install the processor like you normally do. It will boot at FSB1333 (3GHz) instead of the default FSB1066 (2.4GHz).

I have never tried it, so I can't say more. Google can be of help though .
post #68 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optixs View Post
That card would take me above my desired budget.

This card is in newegg's topsellers list. It appears to be a reliable/quality card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102002

I can always upgrade later.
Yes that is a decent card but manly for out put. You should always build around what you plan on doing with it. For recording you will want a decent CPU/RAM/Audio card. Here is what I would suggest plus the $99 on the sound card would come to $453
post #69 of 89
I'd recommend going this this 1066MHz G.SKILL pair instead since your motherboard support DDR2 1066. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231144
 
Server
(3 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3540M Intel HD Graphics 4000 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600 Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD 
OSMonitorMouseAudio
Windows 10 Pro x64 14" at 1600x900 Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX FiiO E17 USB DAC amp 
CPUOSCase
i3-540 Debian 8 (Jessie) Cooler Master Elite 341 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Server
(3 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3540M Intel HD Graphics 4000 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600 Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD 
OSMonitorMouseAudio
Windows 10 Pro x64 14" at 1600x900 Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX FiiO E17 USB DAC amp 
CPUOSCase
i3-540 Debian 8 (Jessie) Cooler Master Elite 341 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 89
I think I got it settled

$177 - Q6600
$38 - OCZ Vandetta 2
$56 ($20MIR) - 2GB DDR2-1100
$60 - Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L
$0 - Onboard video
$50 - Hitachi 320GB
$27 - Samsung 22X DVD-RW
$20 - KB + mouse

TOTAL=428 + shipping

The $60 ASUS Xonar open box should prove as a good deal...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › < $500 Build. Rate & Suggest Improvements!