Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › upgradeing a dell e510
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

upgradeing a dell e510 - Page 4

post #31 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnyinc View Post
im not keeping this for long only till i find a beter one non brand but i dont think i wasted my money if anything i can sell it for a profit and put the money towards the build that i want.
"Sell it for a profit? I'm not sure how that is possible. You spend $50 on the video card. $50 on the processor, $40 (minimum) on the PSU. That is $140 right there. Do you really think you can get $300+ for that computer? I don't. Not for a used one. Hell, even new that would be a hard sell."

"Take that $140 dollars, add it to the $160 you *hopefully* will get back from the Dell. Boom! That is a good start to an actually decent PC. You could get a dual core, a 9600GT or 8800GT, 2 or even 4GB of RAM, a 320GB hard drive, a nice motherboard. A Corsair 450W PSU! The works!"


.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1100T @ 4.0GHz Crosshair V XFX 5870 Crossfire 8GB - Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60GB Vertex2 + 120GB Agility3 SSDs LiteOn 16X DVD-ROM SATA Windows 7 64bit 3 x Dell 23inch (Eyefinity) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Antec Quatro 850W Corsair 650D Microsoft Sidewinder 
Mouse Pad
3H Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1100T @ 4.0GHz Crosshair V XFX 5870 Crossfire 8GB - Corsair XMS3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
60GB Vertex2 + 120GB Agility3 SSDs LiteOn 16X DVD-ROM SATA Windows 7 64bit 3 x Dell 23inch (Eyefinity) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Antec Quatro 850W Corsair 650D Microsoft Sidewinder 
Mouse Pad
3H Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfkevski View Post
You are correct. NO Pentium D! Maybe, but highly unlikely, a Bios flash would support a dual core CPU, but without it, you're stuck on P4's, sorry
im confused you say no pen D but a guy in this thread hiiyah777 siad he had one and sold it on ebay for 300. lets all agree will it or wont it support at least a pen D upto 3.8 ghz
post #33 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpo6969 View Post
No C2D or quad I'm afraid to say.
manual
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1052310
update your drivers if needed
http://support.dell.com/support/down...&catid=&impid=
OP look here ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnyinc View Post
thanks i have 3dmark but had no idea that i can get bios upgrade from them thanks i will look it up so you are saying if i get an upgraded bios i will be able to run a c2d
What are you talking about? Look at 1st quote, 2nd link
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnyinc View Post
im confused you say no pen D but a guy in this thread hiiyah777 siad he had one and sold it on ebay for 300. lets all agree will it or wont it support at least a pen D upto 3.8 ghz
yes you are
post #34 of 65
After reading all this, yours must be a different MB than mine or something. Because if KPO is right, and yours only supports 5xxx or 6xxx, then it's definitely different. I can't remember off the top of my head now, but mine was definitely a D 9xxx something or other. I remember it was a 9. Must be a different MB. Newer or something. Mine had integrated video, but they also added a video card, and I used it instead. It was like an ATI 200 or something cheap like that. But KPO says he ran his 8600GTX off his Dell PSU, so you should be fine without upgrading it. Do you only have two slots for RAM? Mine had 4. That would be a tell-tale sign that they're different.
post #35 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillos View Post
"Sell it for a profit? I'm not sure how that is possible. You spend $50 on the video card. $50 on the processor, $40 (minimum) on the PSU. That is $140 right there. Do you really think you can get $300+ for that computer? I don't. Not for a used one. Hell, even new that would be a hard sell."

"Take that $140 dollars, add it to the $160 you *hopefully* will get back from the Dell. Boom! That is a good start to an actually decent PC. You could get a dual core, a 9600GT or 8800GT, 2 or even 4GB of RAM, a 320GB hard drive, a nice motherboard. A Corsair 450W PSU! The works!"


.
i think the system you mentioned will cost much more then 300 dont you think a good mobo and c2d or quad is 300 with psu and case and ram display drives its about will be 500 and up yes of course it will be a better system no doubt but its a complete system for $140 not to bad.
post #36 of 65
Here you go, a link to my sold Dell on eBay, with all the details spelled out. I knew I researched it at some point. I'll add a couple of pics too so you can compare it to yours. I had a Pentium D 930 Presler. I think I had a different MB than you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESO:IT&ih=001


post #37 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiiyah777 View Post
After reading all this, yours must be a different MB than mine or something. Because if KPO is right, and yours only supports 5xxx or 6xxx, then it's definitely different. I can't remember off the top of my head now, but mine was definitely a D 9xxx something or other. I remember it was a 9. Must be a different MB. Newer or something. Mine had integrated video, but they also added a video card, and I used it instead. It was like an ATI 200 or something cheap like that. But KPO says he ran his 8600GTX off his Dell PSU, so you should be fine without upgrading it. Do you only have two slots for RAM? Mine had 4. That would be a tell-tale sign that they're different.
no i have 4 ram slots and intergrated video they have e510 in different configurations add ons for more money you know dell they start you off with base model and then you can customize it and add stuff so you video card must be an add on and the pen D 9XX but i think the mobo was the same dell -dm051
post #38 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnyinc View Post
no i have 4 ram slots and intergrated video they have e510 in different configurations add ons for more money you know dell they start you off with base model and then you can customize it and add stuff so you video card must be an add on and the pen D 9XX but i think the mobo was the same dell -dm051
I have a suggestion for you
1. read your manual (which I provided for you)
2. update your drivers (which I provided for you)

Maybe updating to the latest offered bios adds support for additional cpus?
I don't know, take ownership of you system and if specific questions look here:
http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...d.id=dim_upghw
post #39 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiiyah777 View Post
Here you go, a link to my sold Dell on eBay, with all the details spelled out. I knew I researched it at some point. I'll add a couple of pics too so you can compare it to yours. I had a Pentium D 930 Presler. I think I had a different MB than you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESO:IT&ih=001


i just looked at it again and it is exactly the same as your picture and i just noticed it has 2 160 gb hard drives i guess in raid configuration so its a total of 320 gb starting to feel better about now
post #40 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpo6969 View Post
I have a suggestion for you
1. read your manual (which I provided for you)
2. update your drivers (which I provided for you)

Maybe updating to the latest offered bios adds support for additional cpus?
I don't know, take ownership of you system and if specific questions look here:
http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...d.id=dim_upghw
i did that went to dell and flashed the chipset with the newest they had but it does not tell you what it will support upto i was hoping to find someone who had a system and knows what it can or cant support because they went thru this aldeady just like hiiyah777 he had a pen D 9 series
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Hardware Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › upgradeing a dell e510