Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks - Page 117

post #1161 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateo View Post
UK,
sorry for that.

Still searching! I am going to call dell now!!!!
Bah, Dell will rip you off. They want $108.99 for a cable! No idea what Dell UK will charge, but I would guess it would be similarly insane.

EDIT: I just went to www.google.co.uk and clicked on Shopping and found plenty of cables for not unreasonable prices.
Edited by error10 - 2/5/09 at 1:29am
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1162 of 7150
Ok need some more help,

from adaptec's web site
http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/product...es/cables/sas/

Why is the
SASx4 (SFF-8484) to SATA (4)x1 with sideband (SFF-8448) (almost bottom of the page)
cheaper than the
SAS x4 (SFF-8484) to SATA (4) x1 (top of page)

Do both of these work?
I have found those web sites but i don't know if the cables are compatible with the perc:
1) http://www.cross-mark.com/50cm-seria...?cPath=175_134

2) http://www.pconestopshop.com/product...rtno=2247500-R
post #1163 of 7150
probably a dumb question here but...

this uses standard ddr2 right? any performance increase by adding more memory? can a different stick be used?

it would be awesome to put a crucial ballistix tracer stick in there to match my system.

sorry im a noob at sas cards.
post #1164 of 7150
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFsquad View Post
probably a dumb question here but...

this uses standard ddr2 right? any performance increase by adding more memory? can a different stick be used?

it would be awesome to put a crucial ballistix tracer stick in there to match my system.

sorry im a noob at sas cards.
No. It uses ECC DDR2 memory up to 512MB.

The additional memory increase buffer size so it probably won't help unless your running 6-8 drives.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1165 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateo View Post
Ok need some more help,

from adaptec's web site
http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/product...es/cables/sas/

Why is the
SASx4 (SFF-8484) to SATA (4)x1 with sideband (SFF-8448) (almost bottom of the page)
cheaper than the
SAS x4 (SFF-8484) to SATA (4) x1 (top of page)

Do both of these work?
I have found those web sites but i don't know if the cables are compatible with the perc:
1) http://www.cross-mark.com/50cm-seria...?cPath=175_134

2) http://www.pconestopshop.com/product...rtno=2247500-R

any help on this one?
I really want to start using my controller!
post #1166 of 7150
how much better will 3 drives be over 2 drives on this controller?

im running raid 0 on my p6t6's onboard sas controller right now will 2 maxtor atlas 15kII 36gb drives and im getting better performance than my dual velociraptor 300gb's in raid 0 on the intel ich10r.
post #1167 of 7150
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateo View Post
any help on this one?
I really want to start using my controller!
I am 87.9% sure that I got my sets of working cables from Cross-Mark.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TFsquad View Post
how much better will 3 drives be over 2 drives on this controller?

im running raid 0 on my p6t6's onboard sas controller right now will 2 maxtor atlas 15kII 36gb drives and im getting better performance than my dual velociraptor 300gb's in raid 0 on the intel ich10r.
I have benchmarks on the first page of the ICH9R vs PERC 5/i. The ICH10R isn't that much of an improvement over the ICH9R.

There's no easy way to compare your setup.....
Edited by DuckieHo - 2/5/09 at 8:21am
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1168 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
I am 87.9% sure that I got my sets of working cables from Cross-Mark.

do you think that the adaptec ones will work?
i prefer to buy from a national shop than an international
post #1169 of 7150
the adaptec cable: "ACK-I-SASx4-4SATAx1-SB-1M R" works. (it is in my setup.) The "SB" element indicates that the cable has a sideband connector, which only matters if your drive enclosure has a sideband port on it. (my enclosures turned out to not have this so i've just left it unconnected inside the case; no problem.)
new workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 (457 x 8.5, 3884 Mhz) Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 9800GT 2 x 2G Mushkin (548Mhz (5:6), 5-5-5-15) 
OS
Vista Ultimate 64, SP1 
  hide details  
Reply
new workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 (457 x 8.5, 3884 Mhz) Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 9800GT 2 x 2G Mushkin (548Mhz (5:6), 5-5-5-15) 
OS
Vista Ultimate 64, SP1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1170 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
the adaptec cable: "ACK-I-SASx4-4SATAx1-SB-1M R" works. (it is in my setup.) The "SB" element indicates that the cable has a sideband connector, which only matters if your drive enclosure has a sideband port on it. (my enclosures turned out to not have this so i've just left it unconnected inside the case; no problem.)
Great!!!!!
Thank you very much. Going to order a pair now

Just wondering though, which is it cheaper than the version without the sideband connector?
And the difference is about $30 which is a lot!!!

Also, do yours have clips to secure connection with hdds?
Edited by karateo - 2/5/09 at 9:05am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: RAID Controllers and Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks