Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks - Page 245

post #2441 of 7150
Yeah, I get about 80-90MB/s write and read from my server to my desktop.
Enabling Jumbo frames on both nics helped a bit in this - but think I'm at the limit of my network cards now really (using realtek gig nics and cheap netgear gig switch).
Unfortunately my plan for adding a dual intel nic and teaming them failed as the card I received is faulty and cbf getting a new one atm as spent far too much already on this.

I'm pretty happy with that though, it's more than enough for home use really!
And they're GreenPower disks so run pretty cool and consume less power.
OCTA
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5960X Extreme ASUS X-99 Deluxe MSI Radeon R9 290X G.Skill 16GB Quad Channel Kit (4x4) 3000MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 530 SSD Western Digital Black 4TB HDD Samsung BluRay Watercooling - Swiftech Pump, 480mm Radiator, 4... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 update 3 x Samsung 24" Corsair K90 Corsair AX-1000 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster HAF 912 Logitech G9 Laser Razer Mantis Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
OCTA
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5960X Extreme ASUS X-99 Deluxe MSI Radeon R9 290X G.Skill 16GB Quad Channel Kit (4x4) 3000MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Intel 530 SSD Western Digital Black 4TB HDD Samsung BluRay Watercooling - Swiftech Pump, 480mm Radiator, 4... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 update 3 x Samsung 24" Corsair K90 Corsair AX-1000 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster HAF 912 Logitech G9 Laser Razer Mantis Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2442 of 7150
thanks! songmin was the sell i saw on ebay. there were 6 left as of my last post and i just purchased the last one. just in time
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Intel Pentium D 820 ASUS P5WD2 Windows XP Pro Dell 3007WFP - I WISH 
CaseMouse
Codegen Logitech MX™ 5000 Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
Intel Pentium D 820 ASUS P5WD2 Windows XP Pro Dell 3007WFP - I WISH 
CaseMouse
Codegen Logitech MX™ 5000 Laser 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2443 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungx0013 View Post
thanks! songmin was the sell i saw on ebay. there were 6 left as of my last post and i just purchased the last one. just in time
Got mine from Songmin back in January '09 and he's great to deal with... organised the right cables, a BBU was included, and when it was inadvertantly left out, shipped it immediately.

Someone should invite him here, then we could all buy direct with confidence, and he sure seems to have enough of them.
Main Office Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k EVGA Z77 FTW EVGA GTX580 16Gb GSkill 2133 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
ocz revo3x2 W7 Ultimate 64-bit Viewsonic 24" Antec 1,000w 
Case
Antec P180 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Office Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k EVGA Z77 FTW EVGA GTX580 16Gb GSkill 2133 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
ocz revo3x2 W7 Ultimate 64-bit Viewsonic 24" Antec 1,000w 
Case
Antec P180 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2444 of 7150
Hey Gang,

I've posted sparsely the past 2 weeks on my trials in RAIDing. I kept getting the
"Failed to get ControllerId List.
Failed to get CpController object."

error when I flashed the LSI firmware to the card. (Or tried anyway).
I'm trying to get this card (I have 2, both give same results) to work
with an ASUS M3A78-EM mobo, (onboard vid). Tried the pin mod. Fail.
Tried swapping ram dimms, fail. Tried Ubuntu x64, WinXPsp3, WinXPx64sp2, fail fail fail.

Put the cards in my Dell Dimension 9200. The 9200 caught that there was a card, but I was never able to do anything with it. When I tried to flash firmware... the MegaCLI app just hung after displaying copyright info. (and some other stuff.)

So I pulled the ram on it just to see. I get an error from the card after the system bios posts which says something about a RAM error. So I know the card is alive and kicking. Put the ram back in... there is a longer (3 sec) delay than usual between BIOS post and Win boot screen.

Is there a key I should hit to enter perc5 configuration screen right after system bios posts?

Also, I have a perc6 card but I just found out that the ram has been removed from it... so that's worthless now right? I have a BBU... Can I use the Perc6 w/ a bbu and no ram?

Thanks guys... I have more time, (spent the last week just crawling through this getting nowhere basically) to spend on it now...

Finally: put a perc5 card back into my raid setup and now I have XPx64 on it. I just tried to flash the firmware again, and this time I get the
"Failed etc etc
Failed etc etc."

AGAIN.

Is this mobo known to be a nono w/ these cards?

Thanks for any/all help. I hate being the noob, but I gotta start somewhere...
Edited by briarbiz - 5/13/09 at 1:15pm
post #2445 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarbiz View Post
Hey Gang,

I've posted sparsely the past 2 weeks on my trials in RAIDing. I kept getting the
"Failed to get ControllerId List.
Failed to get CpController object."
I had the same problem on a P45 chipset motherboard. I changed the MegaCli command from

MegaCli -adpfwflash -f [firmware name].rom -a0

to

MegaCli -adpfwflash -f [firmware name].rom -aAll

As I understood it that flushes all the Perc cards and since I only have one in my computer I didn't mind. It worked for me.
post #2446 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarbiz View Post
Also, I have a perc6 card but I just found out that the ram has been removed from it... so that's worthless now right? I have a BBU... Can I use the Perc6 w/ a bbu and no ram?
Can you post a photo of this card? Are you sure the RAM has been removed? This seems strange - can't really think of any reason someone would do this. Are you sure that the card is not a SAS 6/ir, which looks similar to the PERC6/i but has no RAM to start with?

To answer your question - if you are not using the onboard RAM there would be no advantage to using the BBU. But if the RAM has been removed the card almost certainly won't work at all.
post #2447 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara View Post
I had the same problem on a P45 chipset motherboard. I changed the MegaCli command from

MegaCli -adpfwflash -f [firmware name].rom -a0

to

MegaCli -adpfwflash -f [firmware name].rom -aAll

As I understood it that flushes all the Perc cards and since I only have one in my computer I didn't mind. It worked for me.
Alright, so I tried that. Nothing showed...
MegaCLI executed with nothing displayed on the screen, and then I was returned to the command prompt.
Does this mean it was successful?

Also, installed MegaRAID and it didn't detect anything after that.
Any ideas? BTW Thanks for the input. I really appreciate your help.
post #2448 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_beast View Post
Can you post a photo of this card? Are you sure the RAM has been removed? This seems strange - can't really think of any reason someone would do this. Are you sure that the card is not a SAS 6/ir, which looks similar to the PERC6/i but has no RAM to start with?

To answer your question - if you are not using the onboard RAM there would be no advantage to using the BBU. But if the RAM has been removed the card almost certainly won't work at all.
alright, Here's a picture of the perc6. (I have 2 perc5's I'm working with too)

I circled the "missing ram" section.
LL
post #2449 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarbiz View Post
alright, Here's a picture of the perc6. (I have 2 perc5's I'm working with too)

I circled the "missing ram" section.
That card is a SAS 6/iR - not a PERC (it is part number UCS-61). It should work fine, but will only do RAID0 or RAID1. It does not need a BBU.

The RAM on a PERC6 would actually be on the other side of the main controller chip (the left side of the pic, where the white sticker is). There would also be a second large chip covered by a heatsink (the RAID processor). The solder points you marked are probably left from the design stage or something - I've never seen anything present there.
Edited by the_beast - 5/13/09 at 3:36pm
post #2450 of 7150
So anyone know what's causing the excess memory usage when I am writing to my PERC 6/i controller?

It's really frustrating because whenever I copy a file over 2GB I have to stop whatever I'm doing and wait for the xfer to finish before I am able to do anything without lots of lag.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: RAID Controllers and Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks