Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks - Page 345

post #3441 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeri View Post
Help me! I have a Perc 5e and a Perc 6e and SAS to SATA fan-out cables. Neither card will detect any of my SATA hard drives, I have tried Samsung F1 1Tb drives, Western Dig 1Tb Green, Samsung F2 1.5Tb.....and nothing. I am starting to get depressed to be honest. Am I missing something?? I am using Dell firmware in both cards. I am starting to wonder if the cables are not correct.....they fit the external connectors on the back of the cards.....but could they somehow be wired differently? Or am I just doing something wrong?
The big thing to look for is the type of cable.

Are they crossover or pass-through?

Crossover are used for backplanes while pass-through are used for direct drive connections. If you have crossover (I made this mistake my first time) then the drives will not be detected.
post #3442 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhahlen View Post
Running 6 x 1.5TB in Raid5

128k Block (had 64k previously with 3 disks)

Write back enabled
Read ahead enabled

Still getting 22-25MB/s write speeds

After I initialized, I loaded into windows server 2008 r2.

Fired up diskpart

create primary partition align=1024

formatted ntfs


I tried it without using diskpart, and doing the above procedure. I am still only writing at 22-25MB/s.

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks
Did you set Write-Back in the BIOS or in the MEGARAID utility?
post #3443 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzâ„¢ View Post
The big thing to look for is the type of cable.

Are they crossover or pass-through?

Crossover are used for backplanes while pass-through are used for direct drive connections. If you have crossover (I made this mistake my first time) then the drives will not be detected.
Aaaah. I have no idea. I just bought them going off the description "SFF-8470 to 4x SATA cable." The seller made no reference to pass-through or crossover. Any idea how I can tell if they are right or wrong (given that my drives are not being detected, it's fair to conclude that they are wrong I suppose)? Hmmmm......do you know where I can buy SFF-8470 to 4x SATA cables that are definately pass-through??? I'm in the UK.
post #3444 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeri View Post
Aaaah. I have no idea. I just bought them going off the description "SFF-8470 to 4x SATA cable." The seller made no reference to pass-through or crossover. Any idea how I can tell if they are right or wrong (given that my drives are not being detected, it's fair to conclude that they are wrong I suppose)? Hmmmm......do you know where I can buy SFF-8470 to 4x SATA cables that are definately pass-through??? I'm in the UK.
I solved my own problem....I dismantled the SFF-8470 plugs and removed the metal 'D', enabling me to simply plug them into the Percs upside-down! My drives are now detected. Saved me shelling out more cash for the right cables! Phew.
post #3445 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzâ„¢ View Post
Did you set Write-Back in the BIOS or in the MEGARAID utility?
Everything is set in the bios, I am not even using the megaraid utility nor do I know where to get it... heh
post #3446 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhahlen View Post
Everything is set in the bios, I am not even using the megaraid utility nor do I know where to get it... heh
Update - Downloaded it here:

http://www.lsi.com/DistributionSyste...ws_2.35-01.zip

It won't install on Windows Server 2008 R2 <3

Currently copying a large amount of data back to the raid array so I can't really toy with it at the moment
post #3447 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzâ„¢ View Post
Ohh yeaaaa.

Got 1 more TB coming in the mail, hopefully it boosts it some more.
7x1TB WD Black's in RAID5. 64KB stripe, read ahead, write-back, 8MB block test.
FWIW, I would have used a much larger stripe size.
post #3448 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhahlen View Post
Running 6 x 1.5TB in Raid5

128k Block (had 64k previously with 3 disks)

Write back enabled
Read ahead enabled

Still getting 22-25MB/s write speeds

After I initialized, I loaded into windows server 2008 r2.

Fired up diskpart

create primary partition align=1024

formatted ntfs


I tried it without using diskpart, and doing the above procedure. I am still only writing at 22-25MB/s.

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks
What are you using to benchmark with?
post #3449 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
What are you using to benchmark with?
I am copying files off my raid0 array to my file server, which is the raid 5 I listed. As previously mentioned, I'll burst for 120-130MB/s for the first few seconds, then it drops down to 20-25MB/s and stays there.

I had to move about 1.5TB of data back to the file server after rebuilding the raid with 6 disks versus 3.

I am using Teracopy to copy the data from my pc to the other.

However, reading from the file server is fine. I can pull a steady 90MB/s through my network (wired CAT6).

Even if I use the local OS drives to move a large file, it will do the same thing. Writes to the raid 5 array are never faster than 25MB/s unless its within the first few seconds of the transfer.
post #3450 of 7150
Sounds like you might have a "bad" drive on the array.

Have you run ATTO, IOmeter, or HDtune?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: RAID Controllers and Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks