Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks - Page 442

post #4411 of 7194
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanq45 View Post
Alright, I got around to opening up the Perc 5 BBU.

*snip*
more! more! more!
post #4412 of 7194
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
more! more! more!
I have to find a good source for a 18650 with tabs that doesn't kill you on shipping. I need tabs as I don't have the ability to safely solder directly to the end pieces, and I don't want to use magnets.

Actually, now that I think about it. Magnets may be the way to go. This would allow me to easily change the battery when it starts to go bad.

I'll order the parts today
post #4413 of 7194
Alright, just ordered a pack of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4248
and
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29031

Note that when figuring the price this will make two battery replacements.

So far I am at $9.76. I'll update once I have the parts and find a container for everything.

Oh, I am ordering protected cells "just in case"
post #4414 of 7194
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanq45 View Post
Alright, just ordered a pack of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4248
and
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29031

Note that when figuring the price this will make two battery replacements.

So far I am at $9.76. I'll update once I have the parts and find a container for everything.

Oh, I am ordering protected cells "just in case"
I might be interested in buying the other set-up if it works well
post #4415 of 7194
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
I might be interested in buying the other set-up if it works well
Well, All I can make on my side would be to solder leads to the magnets and attach them to the battery. You would have to solder the leads to the circuit board yourself once you get the parts.

I can definitely do that if you'd like

But in the meantime, lets wait for the results. I am interested to see if the Raid Management software will completely recognize the new compacity. The worse thing I see happening is that it only recognizes 7.4Wh, or 1800~2800mAh, but I figure that would be fine too.
post #4416 of 7194
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanq45 View Post
Well, All I can make on my side would be to solder leads to the magnets and attach them to the battery. You would have to solder the leads to the circuit board yourself once you get the parts.
You know that rare earth magnets don't like heat, and will lose most if not all of their magnetism if you solder them?

Why not just get something like this?
Edited by the_beast - 6/30/10 at 11:04am
post #4417 of 7194
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_beast View Post
You know that rare earth magnets don't like heat, and will lose most if not all of their magnetism if you solder them?

Why not just get something like this?
That is correct. They don't like heat, but soldering to them is not difficult while maintaining their magnetism.

You need to use a low temperature Tin/Lead solder. You apply a bit of acid flux to both the iron and the magnet. First apply the solder to the iron. Build a medium "ball" at the tip. Once this is done you quickly touch the magnet just long enough for the solder to flow onto the magnet.

Once this is done allow the magnet to cool. Then take your lead and strip a bit of insulation back. Apply solder to the stripped bare wire.

With the wire still warm touch it to the solder on the magnet and apply iron just long enough for the two to melt together. Should take more then a second or two. Remove heat and cool.

This is a well documented process.

The reason I chose not to use a battery like the one you linked is that I have a bunch of flashlights that already use 18650s. So if this doesn't work for some odd reason I'll be able to still use the batteries.

I see no reason that you couldn't use the cell you linked. If you find the right sized one you could actually keep everything in the original case.

I'll throw a ruler next to the case and take a picture for reference tonight.
post #4418 of 7194
Ugh... I just remember why I don't order from DealXtreme very often.

The order typically takes like 2~4 weeks to get here from China.

I am very impatient.

I might stop and pick up an RC pack from the local hobby shop and pull the cells out. They usually have some on sale for under $20. Note: This portion will be more of a proof of concept to let you guys know if it works or not. If I can validate it I'll probably sell the remaining cell(s) to you guys if you'd like them.
post #4419 of 7194
Ok so I'm having a problem with my PERC6i. I've used it with all kinds of AMD MB without any issue. Yesterday I upgrade to a new 890GX chipset based motherboard (Gigabyte GA890GPA-UD3H) and now I can't boot from the PERC unless I turn off the onboard SATA.
The system will detect the PERC card, and even in the BIOS it will show the PERC as a option under boot devices, hard disk. but it won't boot off the disks on the perc. the moment I disable the onboard sata in the bios, it will boot from the perc without any issues.

Any ideas? I need the onboard SATA for the two optical drives in the system.

Thanks
post #4420 of 7194
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanq45 View Post
Ugh... I just remember why I don't order from DealXtreme very often.

The order typically takes like 2~4 weeks to get here from China.

I am very impatient.

I might stop and pick up an RC pack from the local hobby shop and pull the cells out. They usually have some on sale for under $20. Note: This portion will be more of a proof of concept to let you guys know if it works or not. If I can validate it I'll probably sell the remaining cell(s) to you guys if you'd like them.
lol. Actually, they ship from Hong Kong, which is a bit better.
ESXi Host 1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(2x) Intel Xeon E5520 Dell OnBoard Matrox G200 24GB DDR3 12x2GB UDIMMS (18 slots total) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PERC6-RAID50 Intel 730 480GB Intel 320 300GB Synology DS414 iSCSI SAN 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
VMWare vSphere5 Enterprise Plus Dell iDRAC6 Remote Management [KVM-Over-IP] Dell iDRAC6 KVM Dell Hot-Swap Redundant 1100W 
CaseMouse
Dell PowerEdge T710 Stock Dell iDRAC6 KVM 
  hide details  
Reply
ESXi Host 1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(2x) Intel Xeon E5520 Dell OnBoard Matrox G200 24GB DDR3 12x2GB UDIMMS (18 slots total) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PERC6-RAID50 Intel 730 480GB Intel 320 300GB Synology DS414 iSCSI SAN 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
VMWare vSphere5 Enterprise Plus Dell iDRAC6 Remote Management [KVM-Over-IP] Dell iDRAC6 KVM Dell Hot-Swap Redundant 1100W 
CaseMouse
Dell PowerEdge T710 Stock Dell iDRAC6 KVM 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: RAID Controllers and Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks