Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks - Page 444

post #4431 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by iakovl View Post
i'm using right now my perc 5i with 4*F1 1T samsung HDD
planing to move on to 6*F3 T2 samsungs

the problem? only 8 SATA
my plan?
1. add 4*2T HDD in RAID 5
2. move data from 4*1T to 4*2T
3. remove 4*1T
4. add 2*2T (one at a time) to the RAID

how do i do step 4? how can i expand

also, i'm thinking about "upgrading" myself with PERC 6
is there really a point in goint 5 to 6?

why do i plan this? i'm moving my hdd to a stand alone "NAS" and remove it from my main PC
Couple of things to add to DJ's great tutorial:

Firstly, don't add disks 1 at a time - this will take forever. You should be able to go direct from 4 2TB disks to 6, and only have 1 rebuild operation rather than 2.

Secondly, I would not run 6 2TB drives in RAID5 - the risk of failure due to an URE during a rebuild is way to high for me (that is a LOT of data to rebuild with no parity protection). I would instead go for 1 of 2 options:

1. Just add 4 2TB drives, and run with 2 arrays.
2. (better) Upgrade to a PERC6, and run your 6 drives in RAID6 instead.
post #4432 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_beast View Post
Couple of things to add to DJ's great tutorial:

Firstly, don't add disks 1 at a time - this will take forever. You should be able to go direct from 4 2TB disks to 6, and only have 1 rebuild operation rather than 2.

Secondly, I would not run 6 2TB drives in RAID5 - the risk of failure due to an URE during a rebuild is way to high for me (that is a LOT of data to rebuild with no parity protection). I would instead go for 1 of 2 options:

1. Just add 4 2TB drives, and run with 2 arrays.
2. (better) Upgrade to a PERC6, and run your 6 drives in RAID6 instead.
I figured he was going to add them one at a time because he was going to buy one now and one later... but if you have both disks on hand, you're right, there's no need to add em one at a time
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 ASUS P6T Deluxe eVGA GTX 680 6x4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Boot R0: 2x256GB Corsair SSD; Scratch R0: 3x750GB Samsung 22x LightScribe DVD+/-DL [SATA] Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Dell 2407FPWx2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Antec TruPower Q 1KW Custom Fabricated 18" cube (Mountain Mods UFO) Logitech G9 Laser 
Mouse Pad
Faux Woodgrain (My Desk) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 ASUS P6T Deluxe eVGA GTX 680 6x4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Boot R0: 2x256GB Corsair SSD; Scratch R0: 3x750GB Samsung 22x LightScribe DVD+/-DL [SATA] Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Dell 2407FPWx2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Antec TruPower Q 1KW Custom Fabricated 18" cube (Mountain Mods UFO) Logitech G9 Laser 
Mouse Pad
Faux Woodgrain (My Desk) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4433 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZeratul View Post
This is commonly a motherboard BIOS issue... Sometimes when a flash drive or bootable disk is removed or introduced and then removed again, the motherboard BIOS will default to a "boot" disk that doesnt actually have a bootable MBR (common in the case of a storage array). I am betting if you have a look at your motherboard BIOS under hard disk boot priority, you'll find an incorrect disk sitting at priority 1. If you reorder the priority so that your system disk is number 1, you should see that the system boots as intended.
Thx for the reply DJ.

I played with the server a little before heading into work this morning and did the following (sadly all to no avail).

Also, as a note, I boot off array #1 (mirrored 500 gb disks).

BIOS shows harddisk as boot priority 1 and also bios setting to list all drives and which should boot first shows the perc5 as the only disk available (which is correct).

perc5 card config shows that array1 (system disks, the mirrored 500's) is the boot 'set'.

nothing would work I played with resetting the bios to factory and adding cdrom as primary boot w/ hdd second. still no luck

Then i figured, maybe the disks are corrupt on the array.

So i disconnected the perc cable, and plugged one of the mirrored 500's into the motherboard sata port.

and it booted... this confirmed that the disks are valid and do have a proper mbr

plugged the perc (and previously tested disk) back in and confirmed in bios everything is setup properly, confirmed the perc sees the virtual disks/arrays properly.

but still no boot

any more ideas?
post #4434 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk95z View Post
Thx for the reply DJ.

I played with the server a little before heading into work this morning and did the following (sadly all to no avail).

Also, as a note, I boot off array #1 (mirrored 500 gb disks).

BIOS shows harddisk as boot priority 1 and also bios setting to list all drives and which should boot first shows the perc5 as the only disk available (which is correct).

perc5 card config shows that array1 (system disks, the mirrored 500's) is the boot 'set'.

nothing would work I played with resetting the bios to factory and adding cdrom as primary boot w/ hdd second. still no luck

Then i figured, maybe the disks are corrupt on the array.

So i disconnected the perc cable, and plugged one of the mirrored 500's into the motherboard sata port.

and it booted... this confirmed that the disks are valid and do have a proper mbr

plugged the perc (and previously tested disk) back in and confirmed in bios everything is setup properly, confirmed the perc sees the virtual disks/arrays properly.

but still no boot

any more ideas?
That is very strange, indeed. Do you know the firmware revision of the card you are using? Particularly if it is using LSI or DELL firmware?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 ASUS P6T Deluxe eVGA GTX 680 6x4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Boot R0: 2x256GB Corsair SSD; Scratch R0: 3x750GB Samsung 22x LightScribe DVD+/-DL [SATA] Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Dell 2407FPWx2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Antec TruPower Q 1KW Custom Fabricated 18" cube (Mountain Mods UFO) Logitech G9 Laser 
Mouse Pad
Faux Woodgrain (My Desk) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 ASUS P6T Deluxe eVGA GTX 680 6x4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Boot R0: 2x256GB Corsair SSD; Scratch R0: 3x750GB Samsung 22x LightScribe DVD+/-DL [SATA] Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Dell 2407FPWx2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Antec TruPower Q 1KW Custom Fabricated 18" cube (Mountain Mods UFO) Logitech G9 Laser 
Mouse Pad
Faux Woodgrain (My Desk) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4435 of 7150
its using LSI firmware, but i'm not sure the actual version. I flashed it using all the info from this thread (maybe 1.5-2 years ago?).

I'm guessing its 7.0.1-0061 but i'd have to confirm later today when i get home.

The other interesting thing is yesterday when i was testing, i booted to a server 2008 r2 disk and ran through the beginings of a install. Right to the point where it wants you to select a partition to install to.

It clearly showed all the partitions within the array's on the card.

So its very weird. BIOS sees the card, Card sees the disks/array, disks will boot properly on their own, but not when attached to the card.

post #4436 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk95z View Post
its using LSI firmware, but i'm not sure the actual version. I flashed it using all the info from this thread (maybe 1.5-2 years ago?).

I'm guessing its 7.0.1-0061 but i'd have to confirm later today when i get home.

The other interesting thing is yesterday when i was testing, i booted to a server 2008 r2 disk and ran through the beginings of a install. Right to the point where it wants you to select a partition to install to.

It clearly showed all the partitions within the array's on the card.

So its very weird. BIOS sees the card, Card sees the disks/array, disks will boot properly on their own, but not when attached to the card.

I remember some discussion over certain versions of the LSI firmware causing warm boot issues... You said sometimes you would turn the computer off and boot it back up again and it would boot... Sounds like a similar issue, but it doesn't quite jive right with the specifics. It sounds like you have the machine off, turn it on, and it will not boot. Thats a cold boot, and that is supposed to work regardless on the LSI firmware. Although, if you boot, go to BIOS, and restart, it would technically be considered a warm boot.

Here's something to try to reconsider all variables and be 100% sure it isn't a cold/warm boot issue. Try resetting the CMOS, making your BIOS changes, saving them, then shutting down to a power off state. Then power on, entering neither the system nor the PERC BIOS. If it boots, its definitely the cold/warm boot issue people were describing previously in the thread which is specific to those certain LSI firmware revisions.
Edited by DJZeratul - 7/8/10 at 3:14am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 ASUS P6T Deluxe eVGA GTX 680 6x4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Boot R0: 2x256GB Corsair SSD; Scratch R0: 3x750GB Samsung 22x LightScribe DVD+/-DL [SATA] Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Dell 2407FPWx2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Antec TruPower Q 1KW Custom Fabricated 18" cube (Mountain Mods UFO) Logitech G9 Laser 
Mouse Pad
Faux Woodgrain (My Desk) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 ASUS P6T Deluxe eVGA GTX 680 6x4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Boot R0: 2x256GB Corsair SSD; Scratch R0: 3x750GB Samsung 22x LightScribe DVD+/-DL [SATA] Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Dell 2407FPWx2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Antec TruPower Q 1KW Custom Fabricated 18" cube (Mountain Mods UFO) Logitech G9 Laser 
Mouse Pad
Faux Woodgrain (My Desk) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4437 of 7150
Hey DJ,

the warm boot issue does sound very similar to my problems.

I'll give your suggestions a try tonight when I get home and let you know how it goes.

If this doesn't solve the issue, i'll likely re-install server 2008 r2 on my 50 gig partition on the mirrored 500's.

It's really just a host for VMWare anyways, so everything else is relatively 'save'.

And just as a note, I also have a 2 TB disk that I run robocopy to in order to pull everything off the array's as a proper backup. I just want to mention this as sometimes people forget and consider raid a backup solution
post #4438 of 7150
so turns out im on 7.0.1-0051

i tried clearing cmos and doing a cold boot, but no luck Even tried a diff. slot on the motherboard (was in a pcie-16 slot, tried another x16 slot)

no idea if the x16 slots could be the issue, but shouldn't...

going to try to re-install now and will flash to the latest firmware as well
post #4439 of 7150
Sorry to hear man... I hope the reinstall clears things up for you.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 ASUS P6T Deluxe eVGA GTX 680 6x4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Boot R0: 2x256GB Corsair SSD; Scratch R0: 3x750GB Samsung 22x LightScribe DVD+/-DL [SATA] Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Dell 2407FPWx2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Antec TruPower Q 1KW Custom Fabricated 18" cube (Mountain Mods UFO) Logitech G9 Laser 
Mouse Pad
Faux Woodgrain (My Desk) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 ASUS P6T Deluxe eVGA GTX 680 6x4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Boot R0: 2x256GB Corsair SSD; Scratch R0: 3x750GB Samsung 22x LightScribe DVD+/-DL [SATA] Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Dell 2407FPWx2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Antec TruPower Q 1KW Custom Fabricated 18" cube (Mountain Mods UFO) Logitech G9 Laser 
Mouse Pad
Faux Woodgrain (My Desk) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4440 of 7150
son of a b!tch

i go in and change the bios to have cd-rom as first boot, then hard drive... and the damn thing boots to the array!!

this is the type of activity i've experienced before... very frustrating!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: RAID Controllers and Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks