Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks - Page 468

post #4671 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanisher View Post
Sorry if this was answered before. I've been searching and couldn't find the right info.

I just bought a perc 6i from a friend and it didn't come with the cable/bbu. Can someone tell me if perc 5i bbu/cables are compatible before I order one from ebay?

Also, maybe someone has a good link to a decent priced one?

Thanks in advance!


EDIT:
Finally got the correct part numbers and answered my own question..

BBU PERC5i / PERC6i
http://www.epartsandmore.com/product...roducts_id=326

BBU Cable
http://www.epartsandmore.com/product...roducts_id=263
Before you order the parts from 3rd party, give Dell a call. Don't use their website, just get a toll free sales line number and call them. Give them the specific part numbers and ask for a quote. 8 out of 10 times, i've found that Dell's spare parts department is cheaper than any ebay or 3rd party. The only thing is that you have to know the part number ahead of time.. which it looks like you have found.
TAIPEI
(10 items)
 
AURORA
(13 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
ASRock X99 Extreme11 EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 32GB 8x4GB Corsair LPX Samsung XP941  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 3TB RE Noctua NH-D15 Fedora 21 Linux Samsung S27D590C 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-1200XP Cooler Master Cosmos II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Dual Quad-core L5430 2.66Ghz 12mb cache Intel 5000 chipset ATI ES1000 64GB FBDIMM DDR2 PC2-5300 667Mhz 
Hard DriveOSPower
WD3000FYYZ PERC H700 w/ 512MB cache CentOS 7.2.1511 950W x2 
  hide details  
Reply
TAIPEI
(10 items)
 
AURORA
(13 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
ASRock X99 Extreme11 EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 32GB 8x4GB Corsair LPX Samsung XP941  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 3TB RE Noctua NH-D15 Fedora 21 Linux Samsung S27D590C 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-1200XP Cooler Master Cosmos II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Dual Quad-core L5430 2.66Ghz 12mb cache Intel 5000 chipset ATI ES1000 64GB FBDIMM DDR2 PC2-5300 667Mhz 
Hard DriveOSPower
WD3000FYYZ PERC H700 w/ 512MB cache CentOS 7.2.1511 950W x2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4672 of 7150
On my rig I have 3x WD15EADS that I now need to expand.
I performed TLER and WDIDLE on all of them. But I seem to have trouble finding EADS drives now - can only find EARS.

I've seen some posts suggesting that I might run into problems combining these two - can anyone confirm ? Thanks
post #4673 of 7150
I am new to hardware raid. I have read most of this tread and am overwhelmed at the amount of information. My current system is

asus p5q pro x45 Intel chipset
2x 500 7200.11 in raid 0 (fake raid)
1x 500 f3
8gb ram
8800 gtx video (to be upgraded to a gtx260 1gb)
Windows 7 64 bit

I want to add a hardware raid solution on a budget ie perc 6i. I have purchased 4 more 7200.11 drives to make a raid 5. total 6x500.

Will the perc 6i card/bbc work in this set up? mod or no mod
ideas on a mounting bracket, found some ideas somewhere in this thread?
What bios to use, version and mfg. seems to be a debate on lsi over dell?
Will the 7200.11 firmware become an issue?
What is the speed difference can i expect over "fake" raid? currently 2x500 raid o is at 129.3 mb/sec. ave using hd tune.
Will my overclocking effect the raid card?

thank you for any suggestions.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon x3220 Asus P5q pro turbo GTS 450 8gb 
Hard DriveOSPower
2x500 4x500 Win7 64 750 watt Silverstone 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon x3220 Asus P5q pro turbo GTS 450 8gb 
Hard DriveOSPower
2x500 4x500 Win7 64 750 watt Silverstone 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4674 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatatarige View Post
I am new to hardware raid. I have read most of this tread and am overwhelmed at the amount of information. My current system is

asus p5q pro x45 Intel chipset
2x 500 7200.11 in raid 0 (fake raid)
1x 500 f3
8gb ram
8800 gtx video (to be upgraded to a gtx260 1gb)
Windows 7 64 bit

I want to add a hardware raid solution on a budget ie perc 6i. I have purchased 4 more 7200.11 drives to make a raid 5. total 6x500.

Will the perc 6i card/bbc work in this set up? mod or no mod
ideas on a mounting bracket, found some ideas somewhere in this thread?
What bios to use, version and mfg. seems to be a debate on lsi over dell?
Will the 7200.11 firmware become an issue?
What is the speed difference can i expect over "fake" raid? currently 2x500 raid o is at 129.3 mb/sec. ave using hd tune.
Will my overclocking effect the raid card?

thank you for any suggestions.
in the order of your questions:

yes,no,no,no,yes,no
TAIPEI
(10 items)
 
AURORA
(13 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
ASRock X99 Extreme11 EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 32GB 8x4GB Corsair LPX Samsung XP941  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 3TB RE Noctua NH-D15 Fedora 21 Linux Samsung S27D590C 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-1200XP Cooler Master Cosmos II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Dual Quad-core L5430 2.66Ghz 12mb cache Intel 5000 chipset ATI ES1000 64GB FBDIMM DDR2 PC2-5300 667Mhz 
Hard DriveOSPower
WD3000FYYZ PERC H700 w/ 512MB cache CentOS 7.2.1511 950W x2 
  hide details  
Reply
TAIPEI
(10 items)
 
AURORA
(13 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
ASRock X99 Extreme11 EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 32GB 8x4GB Corsair LPX Samsung XP941  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 3TB RE Noctua NH-D15 Fedora 21 Linux Samsung S27D590C 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-1200XP Cooler Master Cosmos II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Dual Quad-core L5430 2.66Ghz 12mb cache Intel 5000 chipset ATI ES1000 64GB FBDIMM DDR2 PC2-5300 667Mhz 
Hard DriveOSPower
WD3000FYYZ PERC H700 w/ 512MB cache CentOS 7.2.1511 950W x2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4675 of 7150
Hello all !

Finally, i've upgraded to RAID6 !

While comparing results between RAID5 / RAID6, i was shocked while seeing that some value was really low, since the initial setup : burst rate.

This value was quitely the same from the beginning (RAID5) to now (RAID6) : ~140 MB/s only...



Unless i'm wrong, burst rate refers to the interface rate, no ?

6.3. Burst rate
The burst rate is the highest speed (in megabytes per second) at which data can b
transferred from the drive interface (IDE, SATA, USB,...) to the operating system.


In my case, i've a Dell PERC6 PCI-E 8x... The PCI-E 8x interface speed rate is largely enough for my setup, i think ...

More information about my RAID setup :



So, if someone could explain me or correct my thoughts in order i understand this setting...

Indeed, unless i'm wrong, what i understand : my global transfer speed is bottlenecked if i consider this burst rate value.

Thank you for any help,

Sincerely,

XZed
bubulle_b0x
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300 Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H 2 Go DDR2-800 CL6 250Go ES.2 - PERC 6/i : 8*1To 7200.12 (RAID6) 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Optiarc AD-7240S Windows 7 Corsair CX400 Cooler Master Elite 310 
  hide details  
Reply
bubulle_b0x
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300 Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H 2 Go DDR2-800 CL6 250Go ES.2 - PERC 6/i : 8*1To 7200.12 (RAID6) 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Optiarc AD-7240S Windows 7 Corsair CX400 Cooler Master Elite 310 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4676 of 7150
After some coffee mugs , i considered this :

Is burst rate referring to interface transfer rate of the RAID card (PCI-E) or between the RAID card (PCI-E) and the interface of the OS drive (SATA) ?

If so, in my case, OS is installed on a dedicated SATA drive, for which, previous burst rate value seems "obvious"... (by the way, hdtune indicates the following burst rate value for the OS Drive : ~200 MB/s).

In fact, i'd really like to know the speed rate at the PCI-E interface of the RAID card...

Finally, i've a "complex" question :

In my case, i know that the transfer rate (read value) is largely enough for HD video streaming via HDMI cable ... But, just to understand the way it works :

I have : OS Drive SATA + DATA RAID PCI-E.

While streaming HD video from raid virtual drive : does windows directly stream from the raid virtual drive or does windows stupidly "bottleneck" HD video streaming it between RAID virtual drive and OS drive before ??

Thank you again,

Sincerely,

XZed
bubulle_b0x
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300 Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H 2 Go DDR2-800 CL6 250Go ES.2 - PERC 6/i : 8*1To 7200.12 (RAID6) 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Optiarc AD-7240S Windows 7 Corsair CX400 Cooler Master Elite 310 
  hide details  
Reply
bubulle_b0x
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300 Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H 2 Go DDR2-800 CL6 250Go ES.2 - PERC 6/i : 8*1To 7200.12 (RAID6) 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Optiarc AD-7240S Windows 7 Corsair CX400 Cooler Master Elite 310 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4677 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by XZed View Post
After some coffee mugs , i considered this :

Is burst rate referring to interface transfer rate of the RAID card (PCI-E) or between the RAID card (PCI-E) and the interface of the OS drive (SATA) ?

If so, in my case, OS is installed on a dedicated SATA drive, for which, previous burst rate value seems "obvious"... (by the way, hdtune indicates the following burst rate value for the OS Drive : ~200 MB/s).

In fact, i'd really like to know the speed rate at the PCI-E interface of the RAID card...

Finally, i've a "complex" question :

In my case, i know that the transfer rate (read value) is largely enough for HD video streaming via HDMI cable ... But, just to understand the way it works :

I have : OS Drive SATA + DATA RAID PCI-E.

While streaming HD video from raid virtual drive : does windows directly stream from the raid virtual drive or does windows stupidly "bottleneck" HD video streaming it between RAID virtual drive and OS drive before ??

Thank you again,

Sincerely,

XZed
Burst rate is largely meaningless, and really is only useful for diagnosing a few specific problems (like incorrect DMA/PIO settings). Don't worry about it if the sequential and random IOPS tests look correct. It isn't really a direct measure of the interface speed or of any bottlenecks, it measures how fast the system can transfer data from the drives buffer into main memory. Since data is rarely in this buffer (as it is so small) it isn't worth worrying about (and the measurements are really inaccurate anyway, with burst speeds often lower than sequential speeds, which is a nonsense).
post #4678 of 7150
Just installed my PERC 6/i with 4 Samsung 2 TB drives and the controller cannot see any of them. I'm using this cable from Athena:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-020-_-Product

Is this the correct one?
post #4679 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjunck View Post
Just installed my PERC 6/i with 4 Samsung 2 TB drives and the controller cannot see any of them. I'm using this cable from Athena:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-020-_-Product

Is this the correct one?
correct one afaik, try a diff cable
post #4680 of 7150
just looking on ebay for the PERC5i.. whats with all these weird numbers/whatever/etc:

MN985
UF963
YF437
XF667
RP272
TU005 (this one is a lil more common)
WX072

theres truckloads of them.. they are part numbers or something.. is there any that are preferred? any to avoid?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: RAID Controllers and Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks