Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks - Page 478

post #4771 of 7150
Well I just got my second PERC 5/i in the mail today and I'm afraid it maybe DOA.....I don't get the BIOS initialization screen after POST. I also can't flash the firmware in a DOS environment.

Maybe time for RMA........

Nevermind, worked on my Linux AMD server. Maybe some cards need the SMBUS fix and some don't....never did on my old one.


I still can't get it to flash the latest firmware. I created a bootable DOS disk (MegaCLI wouldn't run in Windows 7 x64.....nor would the mobo recognize my card in the first place) and tried the flash commend. In return I got this:

Code:
Failed to get ControllerId List.
Failed to get CpController object.
Any ideas guys?

I'm a bit weary of running different firmware. So far I've had great success with the latest LSI firmware....
Edited by binormalkilla - 11/22/10 at 8:50pm
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4772 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
Well I just got my second PERC 5/i in the mail today and I'm afraid it maybe DOA.....I don't get the BIOS initialization screen after POST. I also can't flash the firmware in a DOS environment.

Maybe time for RMA........

Nevermind, worked on my Linux AMD server. Maybe some cards need the SMBUS fix and some don't....never did on my old one.


I still can't get it to flash the latest firmware. I created a bootable DOS disk (MegaCLI wouldn't run in Windows 7 x64.....nor would the mobo recognize my card in the first place) and tried the flash commend. In return I got this:

Code:
Failed to get ControllerId List.
Failed to get CpController object.
Any ideas guys?

I'm a bit weary of running different firmware. So far I've had great success with the latest LSI firmware....
I am having the SAME exact issue with the 5/i I just got in the mail... anyone willing to shed some light or suggestions ?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x @ 4.4ghz (1.19v) evga x99 micro2 (2) evga gtx 980 ti hybrid 32gb hyperx 2666mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
samsung 950 pro 512gb NVMe M.2 ssd ek everything win 10 xl2430t / u2515h (x2) / u2913wm 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
cm novatouch w/ pbt caps. evga 1200 p2 lian li pc-9f nixeus revel 
Mouse PadAudioOther
steelseries qck heavy gustard U12/X12 -> H10/Lyr presonus 22vsl > mxl770 (mic) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x @ 4.4ghz (1.19v) evga x99 micro2 (2) evga gtx 980 ti hybrid 32gb hyperx 2666mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
samsung 950 pro 512gb NVMe M.2 ssd ek everything win 10 xl2430t / u2515h (x2) / u2913wm 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
cm novatouch w/ pbt caps. evga 1200 p2 lian li pc-9f nixeus revel 
Mouse PadAudioOther
steelseries qck heavy gustard U12/X12 -> H10/Lyr presonus 22vsl > mxl770 (mic) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4773 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp459 View Post
I am having the SAME exact issue with the 5/i I just got in the mail... anyone willing to shed some light or suggestions ?
I'll take a stab at flashing later tonight and let you know if I'm successful.
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4774 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
I'll take a stab at flashing later tonight and let you know if I'm successful.
I tried flashing from a DOS boot disk... same end result for both LSI firmware and Dell...

"No Adapter Found".

but it shows up in windows as a device that "cannot be started"
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x @ 4.4ghz (1.19v) evga x99 micro2 (2) evga gtx 980 ti hybrid 32gb hyperx 2666mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
samsung 950 pro 512gb NVMe M.2 ssd ek everything win 10 xl2430t / u2515h (x2) / u2913wm 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
cm novatouch w/ pbt caps. evga 1200 p2 lian li pc-9f nixeus revel 
Mouse PadAudioOther
steelseries qck heavy gustard U12/X12 -> H10/Lyr presonus 22vsl > mxl770 (mic) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x @ 4.4ghz (1.19v) evga x99 micro2 (2) evga gtx 980 ti hybrid 32gb hyperx 2666mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
samsung 950 pro 512gb NVMe M.2 ssd ek everything win 10 xl2430t / u2515h (x2) / u2913wm 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
cm novatouch w/ pbt caps. evga 1200 p2 lian li pc-9f nixeus revel 
Mouse PadAudioOther
steelseries qck heavy gustard U12/X12 -> H10/Lyr presonus 22vsl > mxl770 (mic) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4775 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp459 View Post
I tried flashing from a DOS boot disk... same end result for both LSI firmware and Dell...

"No Adapter Found".

but it shows up in windows as a device that "cannot be started"
Mine shows up on my AMD motherboard but not on my sig rig. It's weird because I've been running a PERC for over a year on the sig rig....

DOS flash works on neither.
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4776 of 7150
will the PERC 5/I work with samsung 2T F4 hdd's in raid 5?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Asus P5q pro club3d 4850 oc edition G.Skill 4GB DDR2900 PI Black 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Perc 5/i - HD103UJx4 RAID5 + SSD INTEL 80GB ASUS 2014L1T win 7 Dell 2709W 
PowerCase
VX450W Antec P180 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 Asus P5q pro club3d 4850 oc edition G.Skill 4GB DDR2900 PI Black 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Perc 5/i - HD103UJx4 RAID5 + SSD INTEL 80GB ASUS 2014L1T win 7 Dell 2709W 
PowerCase
VX450W Antec P180 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4777 of 7150
I'd like to make a new 2tb raid 5 array on my expander but I've pretty much filled up the existing ports. I figured an expander would be a good choice and upgrade my case to one of the norcos. I'm not sure which expander cards work with the perc 5i. I cant find much information about them. Anyone have experience using an expander with a perc 5i?

Thanks
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 DFI LP DK X48-T2RSB PLUS ATI HD4870 4gb DDR2 G.skill pc2 8000 
Hard DrivePowerCase
Perc5i 4x750gb Spinpoint F1 150GB Velociraptor Silverstone ST75F 750w C3 Acrylic case 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 DFI LP DK X48-T2RSB PLUS ATI HD4870 4gb DDR2 G.skill pc2 8000 
Hard DrivePowerCase
Perc5i 4x750gb Spinpoint F1 150GB Velociraptor Silverstone ST75F 750w C3 Acrylic case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4778 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdude14 View Post
I'd like to make a new 2tb raid 5 array on my expander but I've pretty much filled up the existing ports. I figured an expander would be a good choice and upgrade my case to one of the norcos. I'm not sure which expander cards work with the perc 5i. I cant find much information about them. Anyone have experience using an expander with a perc 5i?

Thanks
bad luck I'm afraid - as far as I'm aware, no expander works with the 5/i. I believe the 5/e works however. The 6/i does not work with expanders either (it will see only 8 drives however many you attach), but again the 6/e works.
post #4779 of 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_beast View Post
bad luck I'm afraid - as far as I'm aware, no expander works with the 5/i. I believe the 5/e works however. The 6/i does not work with expanders either (it will see only 8 drives however many you attach), but again the 6/e works.
So it supports up to 32 drives per array
but only 8 drives total?
that doesnt seem to make sense
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...l/chapterb.htm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 DFI LP DK X48-T2RSB PLUS ATI HD4870 4gb DDR2 G.skill pc2 8000 
Hard DrivePowerCase
Perc5i 4x750gb Spinpoint F1 150GB Velociraptor Silverstone ST75F 750w C3 Acrylic case 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 DFI LP DK X48-T2RSB PLUS ATI HD4870 4gb DDR2 G.skill pc2 8000 
Hard DrivePowerCase
Perc5i 4x750gb Spinpoint F1 150GB Velociraptor Silverstone ST75F 750w C3 Acrylic case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4780 of 7150
Supposedly new Perc 5/i batteries on ebay. Free shipping and my offer of $20 (listed at $25.99) was automatically accepted. Says he does not accept returns on new items which is strange but he's got 100% positive feedback.

Now to get battery and SATA cables...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: RAID Controllers and Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks