Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks - Page 500

post #4991 of 7178
Quote:
Originally Posted by binormalkilla;12350084 
The servers in which these cards originally resided had a great deal of airflow. Attaching a small heatsink isn't going to hurt the card.

Uh.... I manage several rack full of Dell servers that have these cards and there isn't anything close to a "great deal of airflow" ... seriously. You put your hand back there and it's like someone gently breathing on your hand; that's it. The 1U servers have more airflow (PowerEdge 1950 for example) not to cool this card, but because 1U servers have less cross section for cooling *all* the components (CPU, memory, HDD, etc.) and when you pack a rack full of 40 1U servers it gets really really hot. The larger servers like the PE2950, PE2970, PE2900 don't push much air over these cards at all. And Dell always over-spec's the fans on servers because customers can sometimes add a lot of hot cards or have insufficient cooling in the data center or pack too many servers into one rack.... in some of the hotter racks ambient temp is like 30+ C, and although fan speeds are up at that temp, these cards are getting cooled fine. So, unless people here are sitting in a room that is constantly over 30+ C and have no fan whatsoever blowing air over the PCI slots, there's no need for additional cooling.

OCNer's are cooling these PERC5 cards more than most of the servers they originally came in.... total overkill. That said, these cards are certainly getting a nice retirement life with OCNers. Everyone is free to do "overkill" and spend their $$$ however they wish, but don't make it sound like these cards actually *require* all this additional cooling; they don't. If anything, a $6 PCI slot fan next to the PERC is more than enough and is a cheap, reversible, and easy to implement solution. I don't mind people going overboard with their cooling... most people are on this forums because in a way they are fanatical; that's totally cool with me. I just don't like it when people make it sound like it's absolutely required or you're going to melt down your PERC card....
TAIPEI
(10 items)
 
AURORA
(13 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
ASRock X99 Extreme11 EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 32GB 8x4GB Corsair LPX Samsung XP941  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 3TB RE Noctua NH-D15 Fedora 21 Linux Samsung S27D590C 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-1200XP Cooler Master Cosmos II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Dual Quad-core L5430 2.66Ghz 12mb cache Intel 5000 chipset ATI ES1000 64GB FBDIMM DDR2 PC2-5300 667Mhz 
Hard DriveOSPower
WD3000FYYZ PERC H700 w/ 512MB cache CentOS 7.2.1511 950W x2 
  hide details  
Reply
TAIPEI
(10 items)
 
AURORA
(13 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
ASRock X99 Extreme11 EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 32GB 8x4GB Corsair LPX Samsung XP941  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 3TB RE Noctua NH-D15 Fedora 21 Linux Samsung S27D590C 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-1200XP Cooler Master Cosmos II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Dual Quad-core L5430 2.66Ghz 12mb cache Intel 5000 chipset ATI ES1000 64GB FBDIMM DDR2 PC2-5300 667Mhz 
Hard DriveOSPower
WD3000FYYZ PERC H700 w/ 512MB cache CentOS 7.2.1511 950W x2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4992 of 7178
Quote:
Originally Posted by binormalkilla;12350084 
Attaching a small heatsink isn't going to hurt the card.

This is true. But this debate sparked because of the mention of heatpipe coolers etc - and they aren't small, nor are they light (enough).

Adding a little more cooling is reasonable. But going over the top is stupid. The TDP of the chip is only 11 watts, and it's capable of running hot without issue. It either needs some airflow, or a slightly larger heatsink and less airflow. Anything else is a waste, or has potential to damage the card.
post #4993 of 7178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLinux;12350591 
Uh.... I manage several rack full of Dell servers that have these cards and there isn't anything close to a "great deal of airflow" ... seriously. You put your hand back there and it's like someone gently breathing on your hand; that's it. The 1U servers have more airflow (PowerEdge 1950 for example) not to cool this card, but because 1U servers have less cross section for cooling *all* the components (CPU, memory, HDD, etc.) and when you pack a rack full of 40 1U servers it gets really really hot. The larger servers like the PE2950, PE2970, PE2900 don't push much air over these cards at all. And Dell always over-spec's the fans on servers because customers can sometimes add a lot of hot cards or have insufficient cooling in the data center or pack too many servers into one rack.... in some of the hotter racks ambient temp is like 30+ C, and although fan speeds are up at that temp, these cards are getting cooled fine. So, unless people here are sitting in a room that is constantly over 30+ C and have no fan whatsoever blowing air over the PCI slots, there's no need for additional cooling.

OCNer's are cooling these PERC5 cards more than most of the servers they originally came in.... total overkill. That said, these cards are certainly getting a nice retirement life with OCNers. Everyone is free to do "overkill" and spend their $$$ however they wish, but don't make it sound like these cards actually *require* all this additional cooling; they don't. If anything, a $6 PCI slot fan next to the PERC is more than enough and is a cheap, reversible, and easy to implement solution. I don't mind people going overboard with their cooling... most people are on this forums because in a way they are fanatical; that's totally cool with me. I just don't like it when people make it sound like it's absolutely required or you're going to melt down your PERC card....

I see what you're saying....I can't remember the model of the Dell server that we used at work, but it had fans that pushed much more air than the ones in my little Lian Li case (where my PERC resides).

I don't have any fans directly on the card itself, just some small BGA copper RAMsinks from my old video card that I attached using AS adhesive. I agree, there really is no reason to attach heavy heatpipe coolers. My point was that it would be wise to replace the stock heatsink with a decent copper one and proper TIM in order to prevent failure. There is no need to spend $20 on cooling for the card, but on the other hand I don't think it's wise to keep the stock cooling on it considering that the TIM is probably quite old and dried up.

For me the airflow provided by my front and rear case fans provides ample airflow.
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4994 of 7178
SO hard to sift through all the information here. What cables everyone using for this? Was going to pick up these http://www.buy.com/prod/new-sas-controller-32-pin-to-4-x-sata-hdd-serial-ata-cable/q/sellerid/23962916/loc/101/216468514.html but not sure if those are ideal or a good price.
Quadzilla
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 | 3.8ghz HT on | 1.3v |20x191 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Gigabyte 6850 - 975/1100 1.2v Gskill (6 x 2GB) DDR3-1600mhz [6GBPI] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
3x640 WDAAKS (Cavier Blue) Raid 0, Seagate Storage Windows 7/ Windows XP L246WP 24" MVA Panel Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750TX Lian Li PC-201 MX 518 Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
Quadzilla
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 C0 | 3.8ghz HT on | 1.3v |20x191 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Gigabyte 6850 - 975/1100 1.2v Gskill (6 x 2GB) DDR3-1600mhz [6GBPI] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
3x640 WDAAKS (Cavier Blue) Raid 0, Seagate Storage Windows 7/ Windows XP L246WP 24" MVA Panel Tarantula 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750TX Lian Li PC-201 MX 518 Icemat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4995 of 7178
I just screwed a 40mm fan onto the stock heatsink..
(used one i had laying around from the 486/P1 days for about 8 months, then it broke and became noisy as f*ck so i replaced it with a new one (3-pin, so i can set the fan speed via BIOS.. works perfect @ lowest possible setting))

so, no.. it doesn't need boatloads of cooling, a $4-5 bog-standard 40mm fan will do just fine smile.gif
post #4996 of 7178
Duckie originally posted that the stock heatsink requires a paltry 4CFM to cool efficiently. There is no need to go overboard. Even an 80mm fan blowing at 16CFM across the card surface is enough to cool it. I currently have a 120mm fan at like 1200RPM cooling 2 of these using cardboard to channel the air into a wind tunnel around the cards. The heatsinks barely get warm to the touch.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 ASUS P6T Deluxe eVGA GTX 680 6x4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Boot R0: 2x256GB Corsair SSD; Scratch R0: 3x750GB Samsung 22x LightScribe DVD+/-DL [SATA] Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Dell 2407FPWx2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Antec TruPower Q 1KW Custom Fabricated 18" cube (Mountain Mods UFO) Logitech G9 Laser 
Mouse Pad
Faux Woodgrain (My Desk) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 ASUS P6T Deluxe eVGA GTX 680 6x4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Boot R0: 2x256GB Corsair SSD; Scratch R0: 3x750GB Samsung 22x LightScribe DVD+/-DL [SATA] Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Dell 2407FPWx2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Antec TruPower Q 1KW Custom Fabricated 18" cube (Mountain Mods UFO) Logitech G9 Laser 
Mouse Pad
Faux Woodgrain (My Desk) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4997 of 7178
Hey guys. Just bought 2 dell perc 6/i's after reading this forum and others. Currently have an older LSI 8308elp with dual SFF-8087 to 4x7sata. I have it running in an old Cooler Master Centrino 590 case with two internal 4bay hotswap enclosures. I like it alot, but had a drive failure recently on that card running 8x1tb samsung f3's... and decided to update drives and get into raid 6.

Picked up 9x2TB Samsung f4 drives (one to backup old data). Flashed the needed F4EG.EXE Firmware update (which is what drove these down to $79 at Microcenter). Ran HDD Scan Surface Verify on all drives. Only one bad out of 9... not bad.

I am looking forward to see what they can do. I picked up the Perc's from Xbyte online for $159 with atx-case-pci-brackets/battery/battery-cable. I know they go for less on ebay, but 90 warrenty isn't bad. Then I got these breakout cables for $6.98 each. Hope they are host to device not like the Athena Power cables that don't work for people.

I moded a heatsink on the Perc's. Super easy. Old Chipset Heatsink on some junk dell dimension 4550's laying around the house. Spring clip still works. add some Geil cpu cooler thermal compound and I was set. Maybe it's not needed but I feel better safe than sorry.

83aUv.jpg

S1O7R.jpg

Cables should be here on Monday. I will let you know how it goes. biggrin.gif
post #4998 of 7178
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclsnowman;12362389 
Hey guys. Just bought 2 dell perc 6/i's after reading this forum and others. Currently have an older LSI 8308elp with dual SFF-8087 to 4x7sata. I have it running in an old Cooler Master Centrino 590 case with two internal 4bay hotswap enclosures. I like it alot, but had a drive failure recently on that card running 8x1tb samsung f3's... and decided to update drives and get into raid 6.

Picked up 9x2TB Samsung f4 drives (one to backup old data). Flashed the needed F4EG.EXE Firmware update (which is what drove these down to $79 at Microcenter). Ran HDD Scan Surface Verify on all drives. Only one bad out of 9... not bad.

I am looking forward to see what they can do. I picked up the Perc's from Xbyte online for $159 with atx-case-pci-brackets/battery/battery-cable. I know they go for less on ebay, but 90 warrenty isn't bad. Then I got these breakout cables for $6.98 each. Hope they are host to device not like the Athena Power cables that don't work for people.

I moded a heatsink on the Perc's. Super easy. Old Chipset Heatsink on some junk dell dimension 4550's laying around the house. Spring clip still works. add some Geil cpu cooler thermal compound and I was set. Maybe it's not needed but I feel better safe than sorry.

83aUv.jpg

S1O7R.jpg

Cables should be here on Monday. I will let you know how it goes. biggrin.gif
Looking good. That heatsink is perfect. It's a little larger than mine, but mine probably weighs the same because it's copper.
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
PWNzershreck
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition MSI GTX 1080 FE Heatkiller Acetal 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x Samsung 840 Pro  ASUS DVD-RW SATA Koolance 380i & 2x HW Labs 480GTX Arch Linux x86_64, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG UC88-B Ultrawide, ASUS VS278Q Ducky Corsair AX1200i Caselabs STH10 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Func 1030 ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4999 of 7178
I just picked up a perc5 from a fellow OCN member he installed a thermaltake ram cooler. With a copper heat pipe and aluminum radiator. Well it apeares the weight of the heat spreader hanging off the side of the card has damaged the ram slot. If my Lain Li v2100 oriented the motherboard in a cpu at the top orientation like most do I would be fine but it dosesn't.

I removed the heat spreader and if I lift the ram toward the bottom of the motherboard (top of my case) it seems to be fine. Is there someone on OCN I could have replace the ram slot on this card. And or do any of you have any other recommendations?

Also what is the grey ribbon cable that comes of that SAS to SATA connector. Looks like a female USB Header but pinned out different?

And can anyone post a link to a users manual for this so I can identify what some of these headers on the card are for?

Sorry sent it from my Phone and i didn't check and see what spell check auto corrected things to. Fixed now.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Edited by Tempest_Inc - 2/12/11 at 11:40pm
 
MacBook Pro 6.1
(16 items)
 
Server
(19 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 Q720 Asus ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1GB DDR5 12 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200RPM & Seagate 750... Windows 7 Ultimate x64 17.3" LED LCD Factory 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Factory Factory Logitech G9X Mine 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 MacBook Pro 6.1 17" Intel HD Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz Hitachi HTS545050B9SA02 HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N Factory 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Mac OS X 10.6.8 17" LED Factory Factory 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Factory Factory None Factory 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Abit IP35 Pro PNY VCQ290NVS-PCIEX16-PB Quadro NVS 290 256MB 64-b G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Dell Perc5/i Samsung HD204UI Seagate Constellation ES SAS Drive Model: ST310... Hitachi Deskstar 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital WD1002FAEX Black Western Digital Black 2 x ASUS DRW-2014L1T Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64 ASUS VK222U Black 22" 2ms Logitech G15 (Original) - U.S. Dvorak Layout Enermax INFINITI EIN720AWT 720w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
LIAN LI V SERIES PC-V2100A Silver Aluminum ATX ... Logitech G9x Steven's Computer Service 
  hide details  
Reply
 
MacBook Pro 6.1
(16 items)
 
Server
(19 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 Q720 Asus ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1GB DDR5 12 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200RPM & Seagate 750... Windows 7 Ultimate x64 17.3" LED LCD Factory 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Factory Factory Logitech G9X Mine 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 MacBook Pro 6.1 17" Intel HD Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz Hitachi HTS545050B9SA02 HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N Factory 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Mac OS X 10.6.8 17" LED Factory Factory 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Factory Factory None Factory 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Abit IP35 Pro PNY VCQ290NVS-PCIEX16-PB Quadro NVS 290 256MB 64-b G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Dell Perc5/i Samsung HD204UI Seagate Constellation ES SAS Drive Model: ST310... Hitachi Deskstar 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital WD1002FAEX Black Western Digital Black 2 x ASUS DRW-2014L1T Corsair H50 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64 ASUS VK222U Black 22" 2ms Logitech G15 (Original) - U.S. Dvorak Layout Enermax INFINITI EIN720AWT 720w 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
LIAN LI V SERIES PC-V2100A Silver Aluminum ATX ... Logitech G9x Steven's Computer Service 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5000 of 7178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest_Inc;12363533 
I just picked up a perc5 from a fellow OCN member he installed a thermaltake ram cooler. With a copper heat pipe and aluminum radiator. Well it apeares the weight of it hanging off the side of the card has damaged it. If my loan like v2100 oriented the motherboard in a cpu at the top orientation like most do I would be fine but it dosesn't.

I removed the heat apreader and if I ouch the ram tears the bottom of the motherboard (top of my case) it seems to be fine. Is there someone on OCN I could have replace the slot on this card. And or do any of you have any other recommendations?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

i can't really make sense of what you just typed above???
TAIPEI
(10 items)
 
AURORA
(13 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
ASRock X99 Extreme11 EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 32GB 8x4GB Corsair LPX Samsung XP941  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 3TB RE Noctua NH-D15 Fedora 21 Linux Samsung S27D590C 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-1200XP Cooler Master Cosmos II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Dual Quad-core L5430 2.66Ghz 12mb cache Intel 5000 chipset ATI ES1000 64GB FBDIMM DDR2 PC2-5300 667Mhz 
Hard DriveOSPower
WD3000FYYZ PERC H700 w/ 512MB cache CentOS 7.2.1511 950W x2 
  hide details  
Reply
TAIPEI
(10 items)
 
AURORA
(13 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
ASRock X99 Extreme11 EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 32GB 8x4GB Corsair LPX Samsung XP941  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital 3TB RE Noctua NH-D15 Fedora 21 Linux Samsung S27D590C 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-1200XP Cooler Master Cosmos II 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Dual Quad-core L5430 2.66Ghz 12mb cache Intel 5000 chipset ATI ES1000 64GB FBDIMM DDR2 PC2-5300 667Mhz 
Hard DriveOSPower
WD3000FYYZ PERC H700 w/ 512MB cache CentOS 7.2.1511 950W x2 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: RAID Controllers and Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › PERC 5/i RAID Card: Tips and Benchmarks