Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club! - Page 1019

post #10181 of 12349
I have a M2N32 SLI-Deluxe Mobo. I just purchased a Phenom II 965 BE and popped it in there. It is supposed to be a huge upgrade from my Athlon X2 running at stock 1.8 GHz. However I have had nothing but problems. I updated to the latest BIOS 5002 and of course it underclocked it at 800Mhz. No problem. After reading on this forum I changed the voltage to 1.35 and the multiplier to 17x in the BIOS. When I brought up windows I dled CPUZ - which still read the CPU at 800mhz. I saw the FIX on the first page about downloading Nvidia System Tools to change the clock correctly. When I installed it and brought it up it said my CPU is running at the appropriate speed of 3400Mhz! I downloaded another program to try and adjust the clock settings and it also said I am running at 3.4Ghz. It doesnt feel like I am however, and CPUZ is still stating I am at 800Mhz. After looking at the validation list on the first page I noticed most of the users with the 965 are using BIOS 2209. So I tried flashing and installing that BIOS update instead of the 5002. However nothing changed and I am still sitting at 800Mhz in CPUZ after the changes again.

I am running WIndows 7 32-bit by the way, with 2 GB of DDR2 ram because when I was installing Windows my system would hang. I removed two sticks of the 4 I had and everything installed. I am sending that ram back to Crucial and have borrowed a stick from work to fill in for now...

Does anyone know of anything I might be missing or anything else I could try?

Thanks in advance!

Here is a screenshot of my different monitoring programs:
480
Edited by FifteenElbows - 5/14/12 at 7:34pm
post #10182 of 12349
Quote:
Originally Posted by FifteenElbows View Post

I have a M2N32 SLI-Deluxe Mobo. I just purchased a Phenom II 965 BE and popped it in there. It is supposed to be a huge upgrade from my Athlon X2 running at stock 1.8 GHz. However I have had nothing but problems. I updated to the latest BIOS 5002 and of course it underclocked it at 800Mhz. No problem. After reading on this forum I changed the voltage to 1.35 and the multiplier to 17x in the BIOS. When I brought up windows I dled CPUZ - which still read the CPU at 800mhz. I saw the FIX on the first page about downloading Nvidia System Tools to change the clock correctly. When I installed it and brought it up it said my CPU is running at the appropriate speed of 3400Mhz! I downloaded another program to try and adjust the clock settings and it also said I am running at 3.4Ghz. It doesnt feel like I am however, and CPUZ is still stating I am at 800Mhz. After looking at the validation list on the first page I noticed most of the users with the 965 are using BIOS 2209. So I tried flashing and installing that BIOS update instead of the 5002. However nothing changed and I am still sitting at 800Mhz in CPUZ after the changes again.
I am running WIndows 7 32-bit by the way, with 2 GB of DDR2 ram because when I was installing Windows my system would hang. I removed two sticks of the 4 I had and everything installed. I am sending that ram back to Crucial and have borrowed a stick from work to fill in for now...
Does anyone know of anything I might be missing or anything else I could try?
Thanks in advance!

Your CPU is not set up correctly but don't panic I can help you out with that.

First, use CPU-Z to see if your CPU is running at it's full speed. This is the most reliable program for our boards to making sure that the CPU starts up at it's full speed. I use Core Temp along with the widget that displays what speed your CPU is running at.

Second, makes sure power setting in windows is set to prefer maximum performance, and these settings in the BIOS, Cool N Quiet, C1E is set to disabled. These steps are the most important since you cannot set the multipliers in windows if these are not set correctly.

Third, I can see form your Nvidia control panel, it looks like you have Nvidia system tools with ESA support installed correctly. You have to accept that license agreement in order to set the CPU up and set the profile up to boot when windows starts. Phenom MSR Tweaker (PMT)is also an option in place of Nvidia system tools. I Prefer PMT over Nvidia system tools.

If you plan on overclocking, i would recommend PMT over Nvidia system tools since I find it much easier to set up and the Nvidia program is very buggy and tends to spit out more BSOD's especially if you plan to OC the NB. Another good feature of PMT is that you can set up some custom Cool N Quiet by configuring the various P states.

A good guide to PMT that was written by another member can be found here http://www.overclock.net/t/366989/official-asus-m2n-sli-and-m2n32-sli-club/9690#post_16083715
post #10183 of 12349
My Windows power settings are set to run at maximum performance. Cool n' Quiet is turned off and Im not sure what C1E is. Another setting in BIOS? Ill make sure its disabled when I get home.

I already downloaded PMT and set the P states all to be at 1.35 V and 3400 Mhz. CPUZ is still reading as 800Mhz.

Is there a certain place in Nvidia System Tools you have to go to accept the license agreement and be able to change the settings?
What else could I be missing? Is my voltage correct?

I am not planning on overclocking by the way...
post #10184 of 12349
If any of these key 3 settings I mentioned, c1e, CnQ, and in windows, the power settings, it won't setup up properly so check those smile.gif

In PMT under service, make sure that it's service is starting up when windows starts. Also, in the PMT configuration under service, make sure that after you set your P states, to hit the update button and apply. With all the P states set to stock, your CPU should technically read at it's full speed, I run a custom profile that throttles my CPU down to as low as 600MHz for when I am doing very light tasks and it jumps back to it's full speed when I am folding or gaming.

Another thing you should do is run Prime95 with CPU-Z open to monitor your CPU clock to see if it jumps to it's full speed assuming you have the right P states (P zero and one) set correctly. Once you start it up (actively running any of the tests), your CPU speed should shoot right up to it's proper speed.

As for Nvidia system tools, from the screenshot, you have it installed correctly. Under performance you will see "Accept End User License Agreement" and you have to click on that and accept it in order for the advanced features to be unlocked. This will allow you to set the multiplier and set up a boot profile.

If you decide to use the Nvidia system tools, make sure you uninstall PMT or disable the service from starting up. I still have my Nvidia system tools installed but I removed the boot profiles so it won't conflict with PMT.

Basically use one or the other but not both smile.gif
post #10185 of 12349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post

Did you by chance flash to bios 5002 before your cpu died ?
If not ,what bios are you running?
What gfx card have you got, nvidia or ati ?
You can d/l either nvtools or PMT after cpu install.
Gyro

I'm not sure what Bios version I've got, but I will get 5002 on there when the cpu arrives.

My gfx card is an Nvidia 7950 GT oc, but I was thinking about getting an hd 6870 soon.

Thanks for the help.
post #10186 of 12349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_kenshin View Post

If any of these key 3 settings I mentioned, c1e, CnQ, and in windows, the power settings, it won't setup up properly so check those smile.gif
In PMT under service, make sure that it's service is starting up when windows starts. Also, in the PMT configuration under service, make sure that after you set your P states, to hit the update button and apply. With all the P states set to stock, your CPU should technically read at it's full speed, I run a custom profile that throttles my CPU down to as low as 600MHz for when I am doing very light tasks and it jumps back to it's full speed when I am folding or gaming.
Another thing you should do is run Prime95 with CPU-Z open to monitor your CPU clock to see if it jumps to it's full speed assuming you have the right P states (P zero and one) set correctly. Once you start it up (actively running any of the tests), your CPU speed should shoot right up to it's proper speed.
As for Nvidia system tools, from the screenshot, you have it installed correctly. Under performance you will see "Accept End User License Agreement" and you have to click on that and accept it in order for the advanced features to be unlocked. This will allow you to set the multiplier and set up a boot profile.
If you decide to use the Nvidia system tools, make sure you uninstall PMT or disable the service from starting up. I still have my Nvidia system tools installed but I removed the boot profiles so it won't conflict with PMT.
Basically use one or the other but not both smile.gif
Ok I got the clock finally correct! CPU Z is reading at 3413Mhz ish. Now my problem is stability. I went to restart and when my computer shutdown and restarted, I never got anything other than a black screen with a blinking light on my monitor. Do you think I should try flashing my BIOS to the newest 5002 version? Or maybe adjust some voltage setting? My VCore is running at 1.376 and everything else is default.

Thanks so much for your help!
Edited by FifteenElbows - 5/16/12 at 8:51am
post #10187 of 12349
Hi there,
I have a question about my Phenom 2 x4 945. I have followed the instructions the c1 stepping is disabled , c&q also is off.
I can change the multipliers to 15x but it seems fine when i do it on two cores. on the 3rd the system freezes and on the 4 core it pops up a blue screen.
Should i set the voltage of the cpu on to some level?
What value of the voltage should i chose ??
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PHENOM II X4 945 3,0ghz 95W Asus M2N32 SLI Wireless edit. ASUS GeForce GTS450 1Gb GoodRAM 2 x 2Gb DDR2 800Mhz. 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung :) 500gb Win 7 64bit LG CoolerMaster 600W 
Case
?? 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PHENOM II X4 945 3,0ghz 95W Asus M2N32 SLI Wireless edit. ASUS GeForce GTS450 1Gb GoodRAM 2 x 2Gb DDR2 800Mhz. 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung :) 500gb Win 7 64bit LG CoolerMaster 600W 
Case
?? 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10188 of 12349
Hey guys! Just registered especially to say big thanks to yall in this thread. thumb.gif


I've had a quick upgrade of system, abit rushed, to get to run Diablo 3 properly. So uknowingly I bought an AM3 Phenom2 x4 965 for my M2N SLI (non deluxe) board.
I tell you when I took out my old processor and saw "AM2" written on that plastic on the motherboard my heart dropped.
Anyway thanks to your posts I got it running on 800mhz, then on 3.4ghz.

I've flashed bios to 5001, used PhenomTweaker (took some tweaking) to get it up to 3.4ghz
Diablo runs at least 2x faster now (also got new Radeon 6770)

Only problem is starting the PC takes like 3 min longer. At first it just makes fan noise for 3 min with no signal to screen. Then it starts normally (weird?)
Any way to fix that?

THx
post #10189 of 12349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawko View Post

Hi there,
I have a question about my Phenom 2 x4 945. I have followed the instructions the c1 stepping is disabled , c&q also is off.
I can change the multipliers to 15x but it seems fine when i do it on two cores. on the 3rd the system freezes and on the 4 core it pops up a blue screen.
Should i set the voltage of the cpu on to some level?
What value of the voltage should i chose ??

Try setting bios to default (F5 while in bios,then F10).
The 945 does not need the workaround,and should function like any AM2 cpu.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom1stas View Post

Hey guys! Just registered especially to say big thanks to yall in this thread. thumb.gif


I've had a quick upgrade of system, abit rushed, to get to run Diablo 3 properly. So uknowingly I bought an AM3 Phenom2 x4 965 for my M2N SLI (non deluxe) board.
I tell you when I took out my old processor and saw "AM2" written on that plastic on the motherboard my heart dropped.
Anyway thanks to your posts I got it running on 800mhz, then on 3.4ghz.

I've flashed bios to 5001, used PhenomTweaker (took some tweaking) to get it up to 3.4ghz
Diablo runs at least 2x faster now (also got new Radeon 6770)

Only problem is starting the PC takes like 3 min longer. At first it just makes fan noise for 3 min with no signal to screen. Then it starts normally (weird?)
Any way to fix that?

THx

Try flashing to bios1103(has fix for slow boot with ATI gfx cards).
It is the same as 5001 with the fix for ATI cards.

Good luck

Gyro
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10190 of 12349
Gyro - Hey thanks for the reply. The funnu thing is that on the default bios settings it sets the cpu multipliers to x4 and its impossible to change that.
The only way I can modify multipliers up to x15 is to set the CPU in BIOS to manual cfg and then in bios set the bus to 200 and the multiplier to x15.
However I tried yesterday to set the voltage in BIOS to 1.3V dont know if thats correct but it was stable .... for an hour mad.gif

Is there any strict value that this CPU should be set on? The cpu voltage ... cpu-z is showing me that it runs 1.37 but i remember my setup in bios to 1.3


And also one question about the mobo itself - do you guys and girls use Asus wi-fi ap solo? where can i get the drivers? the ones from cd do not support vista/win7

Cheers biggrin.gif
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PHENOM II X4 945 3,0ghz 95W Asus M2N32 SLI Wireless edit. ASUS GeForce GTS450 1Gb GoodRAM 2 x 2Gb DDR2 800Mhz. 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung :) 500gb Win 7 64bit LG CoolerMaster 600W 
Case
?? 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
PHENOM II X4 945 3,0ghz 95W Asus M2N32 SLI Wireless edit. ASUS GeForce GTS450 1Gb GoodRAM 2 x 2Gb DDR2 800Mhz. 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung :) 500gb Win 7 64bit LG CoolerMaster 600W 
Case
?? 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club!