Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club! - Page 784

post #7831 of 12343
Hi, i reseat the waterblock and changed the cooling liquid into clear water.
After an hour prime 95, i got 53°C as the highest temp (bevor 71°C).

But i am wondering, why the VCore in Z-CPU shows 1,120V, while i set in bios 1,300V. Is it the old mainbord or the old 550w psu? It it possible to undervolt like this?

Edited by SerialChiller - 1/2/11 at 4:04am
Chieftec
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 970 BE Asus M2N-E GeForce 7900 GTO PATRIOT 1GB & G.SKill 1GB 
Power
550W 
  hide details  
Reply
Chieftec
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 970 BE Asus M2N-E GeForce 7900 GTO PATRIOT 1GB & G.SKill 1GB 
Power
550W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7832 of 12343
After an hour IDLE it is still 52°C
realy strange! issn't it?!
Edited by SerialChiller - 1/2/11 at 5:50am
Chieftec
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 970 BE Asus M2N-E GeForce 7900 GTO PATRIOT 1GB & G.SKill 1GB 
Power
550W 
  hide details  
Reply
Chieftec
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 970 BE Asus M2N-E GeForce 7900 GTO PATRIOT 1GB & G.SKill 1GB 
Power
550W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7833 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch99 View Post
Hi

Having updated the BIOS to 5001 I've installed the 945 CPU to replace my old 9850 and rebooted the system.

BIOS setting were reset to default and everything booted fine and straight into windows. However on checking CPU-Z the CPU is only running at 800mhz with a multiplier of 4. I went back into Bios, updated the jumper settings to manual and updated the mulitplier to 15 to get me upt to the standard 3ghz, I have not changed any other settings.

I saved these and continued to boot, however CPU-Z and another app I have still only show CPU as running at 800mhz?

Any ideas welcome as this is frustrating!
Welcome, Hutch. If you go back a few days of the forum, you will see similar question asked with solution. Also, the first page of this thread also has some older instructions on doing an installation of an AM3 CPU like your 945 into one of our boards.

The short answer is that the BIOS only sets upper limits for the processor's capability instead of actually setting them outright like you're used to. To complete the process, you need to
  1. Ensure that Vcore in BIOS is set to 1.3V min.
  2. Disable CnQ and C1E options in BIOS/
  3. Ensure that Window Power Plan is set to High Performance.
  4. Download NVidia System Tools (6.06 is current version) and use it to set the CPU multiplier.

Our boards are showing sign of it's age by the level of BIOS support we're getting for the newer chips. I'm not complaining, just pointing out the compromise that you have to accept for now using a more current processor.
post #7834 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzreal View Post
how would i do this? the system doesn't boot at all with the new RAM plugged in so i am not sure how i would run any program on the new RAM.

Sorry not the most technical of people when it comes to this stuff, built my own PC's before but this is the first time i have had any problems so a little new to all this.
Do you have access to another computer? If so,

go here http://www.overclock.net/downloads/1...memtest86.html download the iso zip version.Make a bootable cd with the iso.

Then follow the video below.

Here is a video tutourial
Good luck

Gyro
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7835 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialChiller View Post
But i am wondering, why the VCore in Z-CPU shows 1,120V, while i set in bios 1,300V. Is it the old mainbord or the old 550w psu? It it possible to undervolt like this?
Hi Chiller, I have seen a few people here talk about this situation where the CPUZ reported Vcore is lower than BIOS. That is really not a good situation. The software monitors in some cases are not accurate. You're supposed to trust the hardware monitor in BIOS. The measured value for Vcore is typically .03V offset higher from the value you entered.

FWIW, I'm running the M2N32-SLI Deluxe, but my PSU is only 450W. Even OC'ing my setup to 3.9GHz with an HT of 216MHz, I can keep my 965BE at around 39C at idle with 2x140mm fans helping the stock cooler.
post #7836 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
Do you have access to another computer? If so,

go here http://www.overclock.net/downloads/1...memtest86.html download the iso zip version.Make a bootable cd with the iso.

Then follow the video below.

Here is a video tutourial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DXGN-oJwVs

Good luck

Gyro
unfortunately i don't have access to another PC.

If the RAM was bad tho would the machine not make a noise to indicate this?
as now literally all that happens is everything you would expect when you switch it on apart from that final Beep and the visual coming on the screen.

just as some additional information in case it helps! the following is information regarding the RAM i have bought in relation to the motherboard i have.

Guaranteed-Compatible Memory for your Asus M2N32 WS Professional (perform a new search)

Featured Memory

For a complete list of compatible modules for this motherboard, click here.

Information about the TWIN2X4096-6400C5 Module

The Twin2X4096-6400C5 G is a 4096MByte matched pair of DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs. This part delivers outstanding performance in the latest generation of dual-channel DDR2-based motherboards. It has been tested extensively in multiple DDR2 motherboards to ensure compatibility and performance at its rated speed. This memory has been verified to operate at 800MHz at the low latencies of 5-5-5-18. Corsair’s line of 4GB memory kits are designed for PCs featuring 64-bit operating systems. Please note: Installing 4GB onto PCs with 32-bit operating systems is not advised since 32-bit operating systems do not support 4GB of system memory.

Information about the NVIDIA nForce 590 Chipset

The new NVIDIA nForce 500 series of MCPs will offer OEMs, system builders, and end users a compelling platform solution along with a true, dual x16 PCI Express architecture designed to provide the performance, features, and stability that discriminating PC users demand. In its booth, NVIDIA will have on display its entire top-to-bottom product family of MCP solutions, including:

Information about the Asus M2N32 WS Professional Motherboard

The Main Station Series is the ideal foundation for a powerful workstation. It delivers awesome power, dependable performance and unparallel I/O scalability for the most demanding tasks and future upgrades. With the incorporation of ASUS Intelligence (AI) Technology, the Main Station Series intelligently reduces operation noise and dissipates heat through advanced and environmentally friendly methods to accommodate user needs. Don't change yourself for a computer. Instead, Let the Main Station Series improve the quality of your work and your life.

Details for TWIN2X4096-6400C5

Memory Type
DDR2-800 (XMS2-6400C5)

Size
4GB Kit (2 x 2GB)

Latency
5-5-5-18

Voltage
1.8v

Format
240-pin DIMM

Heat Spreader
Dominator

How to Buy



Forum Search

Click Here to see the latest discussions in the Corsair Forums about the Asus M2N32 WS Professional .

Details for Asus M2N32 WS Professional

Maximum Memory » 8GB
Expansion Slots » 4
CPU Socket Format » Socket AM2
Chipset » NVIDIA nForce 590
Vendor Website » Click here to view
Edited by jezzreal - 1/2/11 at 10:52am
post #7837 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho View Post
Welcome, Hutch. If you go back a few days of the forum, you will see similar question asked with solution. Also, the first page of this thread also has some older instructions on doing an installation of an AM3 CPU like your 945 into one of our boards.

The short answer is that the BIOS only sets upper limits for the processor's capability instead of actually setting them outright like you're used to. To complete the process, you need to
  1. Ensure that Vcore in BIOS is set to 1.3V min.
  2. Disable CnQ and C1E options in BIOS/
  3. Ensure that Window Power Plan is set to High Performance.
  4. Download NVidia System Tools (6.06 is current version) and use it to set the CPU multiplier.

Our boards are showing sign of it's age by the level of BIOS support we're getting for the newer chips. I'm not complaining, just pointing out the compromise that you have to accept for now using a more current processor.
Hi

Thanks for the great response.

I've made the windows power change, disabled CnQ and C1E and set the BIOS CPU Multiplier to 15, and installed Nvida tools 6.06. Also updated CPU voltage to 1.35v

Once in Nvidia performance, I updated the multiplier to 15 and applied. This rebooted the PC and now the BIOS CPU Config is showing 3ghz instead of 800mhz. Which is good news!

However once fully booted I checked CPU-Z which shows each core still running at 800mhz. Nvidia performance tools also shows each core at 800mhz with a multiplier of 4 although the related parameters box next to this shows the CPU at 3,000mhz and a multiplier of 15?

Another app is also showing 800mhz and the PC still seems to be running slow. I'll run a PC Vanatage test tomorrow, however is there another way to check what's actually been applied in terms of CPU mhz?

Is there another config change I need to make?
post #7838 of 12343
You need to make a profile and set it to start with windows also.

Gyro
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7839 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch99 View Post
Hi

Thanks for the great response.

I've made the windows power change, disabled CnQ and C1E and set the BIOS CPU Multiplier to 15, and installed Nvida tools 6.06. Also updated CPU voltage to 1.35v

Once in Nvidia performance, I updated the multiplier to 15 and applied. This rebooted the PC and now the BIOS CPU Config is showing 3ghz instead of 800mhz. Which is good news!

However once fully booted I checked CPU-Z which shows each core still running at 800mhz. Nvidia performance tools also shows each core at 800mhz with a multiplier of 4 although the related parameters box next to this shows the CPU at 3,000mhz and a multiplier of 15?

Another app is also showing 800mhz and the PC still seems to be running slow. I'll run a PC Vanatage test tomorrow, however is there another way to check what's actually been applied in terms of CPU mhz?

Is there another config change I need to make?
Gyro's right ^^ You're two steps away from running with full performance

I guess the reads from control panel that it's already running at full speed is a false positive.

Applying the Multiplier onto the current profile in Control Panel is a temporary fix and you got to do it on every startup.

Like Gyro said; Create a Profile with the right Multiplier and then under "Profile policies", you got to tell Nvidia Control panel to load your created profile with this condition: "The system first starts windows"

Here's a link with a more detailed explanation on how the multiplier thing works

http://www.overclock.net/7594611-post3945.html

Virlidi
New Buddy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
CPU TypeQuadCore Intel Core i5-2500K Motherboard NameGigabyte GA-P67X-UD3-B3 MSI N570GTX twinfrozr III (MS-V257) Kingston HyperX Dual 4gb 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ-Vertex 3 120GB ASUS DRW-24B3LT Win Ultimate x64 Asus ML238H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 700W Coolermaster 690 II Adv. Razer Copperhead 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 9HD 
  hide details  
Reply
New Buddy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
CPU TypeQuadCore Intel Core i5-2500K Motherboard NameGigabyte GA-P67X-UD3-B3 MSI N570GTX twinfrozr III (MS-V257) Kingston HyperX Dual 4gb 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ-Vertex 3 120GB ASUS DRW-24B3LT Win Ultimate x64 Asus ML238H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 700W Coolermaster 690 II Adv. Razer Copperhead 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 9HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7840 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch99 View Post
Is there another config change I need to make?
Hutch, You already got two answers so hopefully you caught the significance of the profile.

This is exactly the symptom of what I meant when I said our AM3 processors aren't fully supported. Normally you would set the speed in the BIOS and it sticks. In this case, you have to perform an on the fly set of CPU multiplier from within the operating system after it boots up. NVidia system tools helps you automate the process by providing profile support and providing some simple logic conditions for when to apply.

One place this can come in handy is when you're ready to start overclocking. You can create any number of profiles and use them as you wish. I've created for instance a sort of power saver mode where you can throttle the CPU back when screen saver kicks on.

You will also be able to speed up the HT bus and memory (I have yet to try the latter).
Edited by gr8sho - 1/2/11 at 3:27pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club!