Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club! - Page 802

post #8011 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fryer View Post
@GR8SHO, i have to agree, worry about the main timing for your ram. if you start adjusting the wrong settings you could seriously hurt you ram. i adjust everything in bios except for my ram. the only thing i do to my ram is set basic timing and voltage and the normal 5-5-5-12-18-2T, if i set my ram for 1066mhz i have to add an extra .05volt, and set timing to 5-7-7-16-28-2T


@SLAWKO
my ht link is at 1004, but my nb frequency is at 1607.4 .. the reason my nb is higher is because i have my ram set to 1066 mode in bios. to drop that to 1k i would have to lower my ram divider to 800mhz. if you overclocking using your bus it will go above 1k unless you drop the ram speed, and your ht link will go over 1k unless you drop the divider down a bit. as GYRO said, there is no gain in the ht being over 1k, but it can limit your oc if it is, and can make it unstable.
Yes, Fryer, I was barking up the wrong tree, so to speak. My system was unstable and I couldn't figure out why. By all counts, it appears that the CPU to Northbridge path is the bottleneck and to push the system higher, I need to increase voltage here. I'm going to look into that shortly.

BTW, I was running HTRef at 216 with no problems, and now I have it running up at 232 with the only other change to drop DRAM freq to 387. HTLink is 1160 and the NB is running at 1856. The CPU seems happy at 3944.

Also, I have overcome my concerns about system stability if I drop the HT multiplier to 4X.
post #8012 of 12343
yup. correct, drop it to 4x, or you could add a bit more voltage to it to help it stay stable.

ok now my turn.. lol.. anyone know what the temp sensors are? i got a bunch and have no clue what is what part of my mobo.

yes i know, my voltages do not read right. my 12v is way off and cpu is actually at 1.375.
post #8013 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fryer View Post
yup. correct, drop it to 4x, or you could add a bit more voltage to it to help it stay stable.

ok now my turn.. lol.. anyone know what the temp sensors are? i got a bunch and have no clue what is what part of my mobo.

yes i know, my voltages do not read right. my 12v is way off and cpu is actually at 1.375.
I've seen some strange readings from this tool that has caused me to lose confidence in it.
post #8014 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Gaming View Post
You might want to try some other software for overclocking that gives you the option to increase the voltages of your NB - CPU voltage.
What is the stock voltage for this setting, please? The BIOS shows a range between 1.2V and 1.5V. How how much should I bump this if I want to run HTref at 300MHz?

Thanks,
C
post #8015 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho View Post
What is the stock voltage for this setting, please? The BIOS shows a range between 1.2V and 1.5V. How how much should I bump this if I want to run HTref at 300MHz?

Thanks,
C
1.20v should be stock, i would try 1.30v and check for stability, if stable then good, if not then bump it up again. i wouldn't do 1.50v though as you would need some good cooling.
post #8016 of 12343
Thread Starter 
gr8sho it is imparative that you don't cofuse the NB clock voltage of the mother board w/the CPU-NB clock voltage. I don't ever remember there being a CPU-NB adjustment any where in the bios on these mobo's.

The native voltage for the IMC or CPU-NB depends on your CPU. Google your cpu or ask around the forums in the AMD section. There are tons of people that can give you the answers you are looking for.

I just gave you an option to make your NB-CPU more stable but honestly there is a formula that Ph II overclockers try to follow and it states that the CPU-NB Frequency should be at a specific number or higher when considering how fast the CPU clock is. I can give you links but they will only give you basic and general knowledge and there is several stickies in the AMD section about Phenom Overclocking
Edited by N2Gaming - 1/16/11 at 12:31pm
Black N Blue Baby
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ph II X4 955 BE (C3) @ 3.5GHz MSI NF980-G65 PCS R9 380 4GB 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer BL2KIT25664TN1337 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2TB WD Black WD2003FZEX LG 20x DVD Lightscribe Burner Win7 Ult x64  Samsung LN-S4095D 1080P 40" LCD TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX1000w Mod'd Antec Nine Hundred Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Big Black Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Black N Blue Baby
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ph II X4 955 BE (C3) @ 3.5GHz MSI NF980-G65 PCS R9 380 4GB 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer BL2KIT25664TN1337 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2TB WD Black WD2003FZEX LG 20x DVD Lightscribe Burner Win7 Ult x64  Samsung LN-S4095D 1080P 40" LCD TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX1000w Mod'd Antec Nine Hundred Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
Big Black Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8017 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fryer View Post
@GR8SHO, i have to agree, worry about the main timing for your ram. if you start adjusting the wrong settings you could seriously hurt you ram. i adjust everything in bios except for my ram. the only thing i do to my ram is set basic timing and voltage and the normal 5-5-5-12-18-2T, if i set my ram for 1066mhz i have to add an extra .05volt, and set timing to 5-7-7-16-28-2T


@SLAWKO
my ht link is at 1004, but my nb frequency is at 1607.4 .. the reason my nb is higher is because i have my ram set to 1066 mode in bios. to drop that to 1k i would have to lower my ram divider to 800mhz. if you overclocking using your bus it will go above 1k unless you drop the ram speed, and your ht link will go over 1k unless you drop the divider down a bit. as GYRO said, there is no gain in the ht being over 1k, but it can limit your oc if it is, and can make it unstable.
Correction-The NB freq is 1600mhz stock and the multi is locked at x8 ref clock.
It does not change when/if you raise or lower ram divider,it only changes with an increase in ref clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho View Post


Okay, maybe this is the missing ingredient. Perhaps it is assumed that if someone is going to OC the mainboard, that they're familiar with all the knobs, but not the case here.

I'm going to look into the first tool first. Before I start, I have a few simple questions.
  1. Is there a rule of thumb that should be followed when raising the CPU-NB voltage?
  2. The BIOS also has a 200mv Offset under an Advanced Setting. Will this accomplish in some basic way what we're trying to do here for pushing the mainboard speed?

Thanks!
C
Raise the cpu-nb volts when increases in vcore have no effect.

the 200mv offset will add 200mv(0.200v)to the vcore only.
eg; if you have cpu volts at 1.35v and enable offset that will give you a vcore of 1.55v,and should only be used for extreme overclocking(LN2 or dice).In essence it is for when the max vcore setting in bios usually 1.55-1.6v is not enough and will increase max to 1.75-1.8v.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho View Post
What is the stock voltage for this setting, please? The BIOS shows a range between 1.2V and 1.5V. How how much should I bump this if I want to run HTref at 300MHz?

Thanks,
C
Stock volts for cpu-nb is 1.20v,1.3v should be enough for HTref at 300MHz,which will give you mb freq of 2400mhz.

Good luck

Gyro
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8018 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post
Correction-The NB freq is 1600mhz stock and the multi is locked at x8 ref clock.
It does not change when/if you raise or lower ram divider,it only changes with an increase in ref clock.



Raise the cpu-nb volts when increases in vcore have no effect.

the 200mv offset will add 200mv(0.200v)to the vcore only.
eg; if you have cpu volts at 1.35v and enable offset that will give you a vcore of 1.55v,and should only be used for extreme overclocking(LN2 or dice).In essence it is for when the max vcore setting in bios usually 1.55-1.6v is not enough and will increase max to 1.75-1.8v.



Stock volts for cpu-nb is 1.20v,1.3v should be enough for HTref at 300MHz,which will give you mb freq of 2400mhz.

Good luck

Gyro
Thanks again on all counts. I am not using the offset setting.

Can you confirm that the M2N32 BIOS can modify the voltage of the CPU-NB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Gaming View Post
gr8sho it is imparative that you don't cofuse the HT clock voltage of the mother board w/the CPU-NB clock voltage. I don't ever remember there being a CPU-NB adjustment any where in the bios on these mobo's.

The native voltage for the IMC or CPU-NB depends on your CPU. Google your cpu or ask around the forums in the AMD section. There are tons of people that can give you the answers you are looking for.

I just gave you an option to make your NB-CPU more stable but honestly there is a formula that Ph II overclockers try to follow and it states that the CPU-NB Frequency should be at a specific number or higher when considering how fast the CPU clock is. I can give you links but they will only give you basic and general knowledge and there is several stickies in the AMD section about Phenom Overclocking
I didn't realize until now that there was a desired relationship between the NB speed and the CPU speed, but it does make sense. You don't want the memory controller to be a bottleneck and starve the CPUs. Check!

I'm going to look in the BIOS to see the exact label of that CPU-NB voltage setting and will post back shortly with a few observations.

Thanks for the links. I read quite a bit of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fryer View Post
1.20v should be stock, i would try 1.30v and check for stability, if stable then good, if not then bump it up again. i wouldn't do 1.50v though as you would need some good cooling.
Check!
post #8019 of 12343
@ gr8sho, it reads as cpu to nb ht voltage.

Gyro
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ph IIx4 955 @ 3.2 Asus M2N32-sli dlx Asus GTX 460 1gb DirectCU MSI GTX 460 1gb Cyclone 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x2gb OCZ ddr2 1066 plats seagate 320gb sata lg supermulti dvd WIN 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
acer p221w ms SS ST75F-P 750w CM 690modded w/KazeMaster pro 
Mouse
ms intellimouse explorer3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8020 of 12343
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Gaming View Post
gr8sho it is imparative that you don't cofuse the NB clock voltage of the mother board w/the CPU-NB clock voltage. I don't ever remember there being a CPU-NB adjustment any where in the bios on these mobo's.
The BIOS offers the following.

CPU to NB HT Voltage
NB to SB HT Voltage

The first one has the range between 1.2V and 1.5V. If this isn't the right knob, then overclocking this system became significantly more inconvenient.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] ASUS M2N-SLI and M2N32-SLI Club!